test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is going to anger the developers!

lordvargar111lordvargar111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
If you want this game to be a winner, you need to MAKE PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY! first off LISTEN TO OUR FEEDBACK!
1. DON'T you dare give us a beta and offer only swords and daggers,and slap a AD&D logo on the game. IN AD&D we use AXES MACES BOWS AND ARROWS ,STAVES,WANDS!

2. NO DRAGONBORN?! REALLY!?

3. CLERICS USE A MACE NOT A HOLY SYMBOL! AND where the hell is TURN UNDEAD!?

4. If your going to Call this D&D READ THE SOURCE MATERAL! rogues can use armors like padded, leather ,studded leather,hell even chain mail! Fighters can use ALL armor! guardian fighter great weapon fighter ....ok fine but where is my PALADIN AND RANGER! WHERES THE WARLOCK AND DRUID! WHAY DO WIZARDS DANCE IN COMBAT LIKE THAT HAVE TO HAVE A HUGE BM! I like your game but DONT DARE call it a D&D game for that you have a long way to go!
Post edited by lordvargar111 on

Comments

• Options
    vestinious1vestinious1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You really dont know anything about licensing do you ?
    Little hint here, this game is licensed from Wizards of the Coast and they can the shots as to what is or not called Dungeons and Dragons.
    I would go on but posts like this just rub me up the wrong way, and by the way I know a lot about licensing and in particular the RPG industry !
  • Options
    aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    While his rant is a rant, he makes a point in that we literally only have 4 weapons. Swords, Daggers, Holy Symbol, Crystal Ball. They could use a LOT more variety in weapons or else it just gets boring really really quick. As for his rant about classes, do you REALLY think they are only going to have the six classes? Maybe for the first 4 months, then they will probably start dishing out new classes for players to use, which may or may not cost money if PWE has any say in the matter.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can see it right now.....a developer comes into the office this morning all happy and greeting his co-workers. He proceeds to sit down and read the forums..........................................RAGE........................FLIP DESKS!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warfurybladezwarfurybladez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I got a Man Cleaver (hand axe) for my Rogue in Tower District..

But additional weapons will be easy to add, the main thing I was disappointed in once I actually got the Man Cleaver was that it had the same animations as a dagger!
    Underworld Knights - Premier Oceanic Guild
  • Options
    sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I too want free games to have full content in Beta weekends and I get **** angry when they don't have everything I want, want, want! /stamps foot.

Quite a ridiculous and unhelpful rant. The point of a beta weekend is for the content to be showcased and the engine tested. How would a variety of weapons make any meaningful difference to that end? Rest assured there will be more weapons but this is very much a superficial concern. Similarly for the variety of classes on offer; how many MMO RPGs open with dozens of class options? (I say open, when it's not even open yet.)

Your complaint about the Devoted Cleric is misguided. DnD has always had cloth-wearing Clerics, too. You can find them in almost all the digital D&D campaigns. In 4e, they call what you recognise as the proper Cleric a Battle Cleric, and they will be adding this class later.

I'm all for criticism, it accomplishes great things when well intended.... but as I said, yours is not very helpful. I don't imagine it will trouble the developers quite as much as it will amuse them.
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I don't remember where I got it from, but in BW3, I had a cleric weapon that was NOT a symbol. It looked more like an urn or something. I THINK it was a quest reward?
  • Options
    galthisgalthis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The OP is too ranty and thus harms its own objective, but there are some kernels of truth to be found.

Weapon and armor restrictions are currently pretty, well, restrictive. Perhaps this will improve over time, however the 'single archtype' philosophy runs deep in the devs approach to the game, so its hard to be real optimistic about this.

The lack of 'standard' D&D classes at release is frustrating to some, me included. It would be almost impossible to complete and balance 20 builds for a launch, though 8 or 10 would have been perhaps a more obtainable and reasonable objective than 5. I have tried to think of a fantasy based RPG or MMO that ever launched without a long/short/x bow in the game. I can't think of one.

I am no rules expert, but I think turning undead went the way of the dodo in the ruleset being followed for this game.

The devs have shown themselves to be very willing to adjust this game to reflect a more harmonious relationship with the IP. The point buy system is proof of that. Constructive criticism should continue, and we should all try to avoid harming our message by presenting it in a childish way.
  • Options
    lordvargar111lordvargar111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You really dont know anything about licensing do you ?
    Little hint here, this game is licensed from Wizards of the Coast and they can the shots as to what is or not called Dungeons and Dragons.
    I would go on but posts like this just rub me up the wrong way, and by the way I know a lot about licensing and in particular the RPG industry !
    I don't know anything about licensing...but I know what a D&D game should be! DO YOU!?
  • Options
    aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If quest items are the only way to get weapons that just "look" different that is kinda...poor. While I can still somewhat enjoy the game, it's the little things I appreciate. Such as a variety of weapons and classes. I fully expect more classes to be added in over time and then the old ones tweaked to balance everything out.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ..and slap a AD&D logo on the game. IN AD&D we use AXES MACES BOWS AND ARROWS ,STAVES,WANDS!

There's no AD&D logo anywhere here.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    aurenn wrote: »
    While his rant is a rant, he makes a point in that we literally only have 4 weapons. Swords, Daggers, Holy Symbol, Crystal Ball. They could use a LOT more variety in weapons or else it just gets boring really really quick. As for his rant about classes, do you REALLY think they are only going to have the six classes? Maybe for the first 4 months, then they will probably start dishing out new classes for players to use, which may or may not cost money if PWE has any say in the matter.

Exactly my point! I rant people respond. I post politely i'm ignored like the plague! Let the haters Hate my rank I say <profanity removed> em! at least you all are listening now. if this is a D&D game it needs to BE A D&D GAME!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    seriously?! are you trolling or <profanity removed>? I'ts A Freeking D&D game! no matter the logo stamp you <profanity removed>!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sirnamed wrote: »
    I too want free games to have full content in Beta weekends and I get **** angry when they don't have everything I want, want, want! /stamps foot.

Quite a ridiculous and unhelpful rant. The point of a beta weekend is for the content to be showcased and the engine tested. How would a variety of weapons make any meaningful difference to that end? Rest assured there will be more weapons but this is very much a superficial concern. Similarly for the variety of classes on offer; how many MMO RPGs open with dozens of class options? (I say open, when it's not even open yet.)

Your complaint about the Devoted Cleric is misguided. DnD has always had cloth-wearing Clerics, too. You can find them in almost all the digital D&D campaigns. In 4e, they call what you recognise as the proper Cleric a Battle Cleric, and they will be adding this class later.

I'm all for criticism, it accomplishes great things when well intended.... but as I said, yours is not very helpful. I don't imagine it will trouble the developers quite as much as it will amuse them.
    You have apparently NEVER played a tabletop D&D game! as I said before I rant= people listen.
  • Options
    vulupvulup Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One of my hopes, and I am not a graphics junnky, is that the game looks like it does in their trailers by the time it goes live. I would also love to see the basic classes by then, at least the ranger since that would give us a ranged striker, but hey, I also love the class, although it was a lot better in 3.5.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The real problem is 4th ed. They absolutely had to mess with the system for it to transition well into an MMO; daily powers are, after all, really just that in the table top, daily powers.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    whats funny is most of you hating on my rant are the same <profanity removed> that compared this game to <other game discussion removed> in other threads so if you never played D&D on tabletop this thread is not for you IT IS FOR THE DEVELOPERS TO SEE!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    vulup wrote: »
    The real problem is 4th ed. They absolutely had to mess with the system for it to transition well into an MMO; daily powers are, after all, really just that in the table top, daily powers.
    I totally agree 100%
  • Options
    xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    seriously?! are you trolling or <profanity removed>? I'ts A Freeking D&D game! no matter the logo stamp you <profanity removed>!

Must be trolling. This game is based on 4E ruleset. The classes are in line with the suggested builds. This is the DEVOTED cleric and it uses a SYMBOL. You're thinking of a different kind of cleric. They can only give so many classes, those that have reviewed the files have see the Scourge Warlock and a melee archer, with Dragonborn race. They won't be there at launch, but I'm sure they'll be here soon enough.

As for weapon types, there are a lot more when you get higher level. There should be more variety earlier levels, but I've seen plenty of different types of weapons 30+.

This is Cryptic's offering for a game. If you don't like it, well hope you didn't spend any money on it yet. So much self entitlement on these forums. I didn't know there was a D&D police out there that didn't work for WoTC.
  • Options
    sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    You have apparently NEVER played a tabletop D&D game! as I said before I rant= people listen.

Oh, is that so? That much of a stranger's personal experience you have derived from a short post? I'm starting to think you're just a lazy troll with comments like this. I said nothing about pen and paper DnD, I'm the first to admit my DnD experience started with Baldur's Gate I & II and all the digital titles since then. All of that quite irrelevant to the foolish remarks you made in your original post. You have criticised NWO interpretation of the " Cleric" seemingly failing to realise it is based on FOURTH EDITION RULES. Comparisons to AD&D are irrelevant. The Cleric you are alluding to is described as a Battle Cleric in 4e ruleset and it will in all likelihood make an appearance in the updated content.

If you are going to criticise this adaption of the DnD title, at least understand which ruleset they are abiding by because your criticism here is misguided.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    xervai wrote: »
    Must be trolling. This game is based on 4E ruleset. The classes are in line with the suggested builds. This is the DEVOTED cleric and it uses a SYMBOL. You're thinking of a different kind of cleric. They can only give so many classes, those that have reviewed the files have see the Scourge Warlock and a melee archer, with Dragonborn race. They won't be there at launch, but I'm sure they'll be here soon enough.

As for weapon types, there are a lot more when you get higher level. There should be more variety earlier levels, but I've seen plenty of different types of weapons 30+.

This is Cryptic's offering for a game. If you don't like it, well hope you didn't spend any money on it yet. So much self entitlement on these forums. I didn't know there was a D&D police out there that didn't work for WoTC.
    Ok I apologize for the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> comment and after reviewing my 4th ed book you are right BUT,Im going off of the Gygax D&D and what D&D should be not the Wizards of the Coast fodder.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't know anything about licensing...but I know what a D&D game should be! DO YOU!?

Hmmm let me think about this for a moment.....

Oh yes I remember now I used to play at the weekend with the TSR team in Cambridge UK AND if that doesnt help I have worked in the RPG Industry for companies such as Cubicle 7, Avenger Enterprises, Mongoose Publishing and many others.
    I was in charge of all the playtesting and feedback to the dev team for Doctor Who and The One Rings RPG's.
    As directly related to D&D, well the first ever book I was involved with was Field Folio and played very early testers for what became Forgotten Realms in 1984'ish.

So what about you ?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sirnamed wrote: »
    Oh, is that so? That much of a stranger's personal experience you have derived from a short post? I'm starting to think you're just a lazy troll with comments like this. I said nothing about pen and paper DnD, I'm the first to admit my DnD experience started with Baldur's Gate I & II and all the digital titles since then. All of that quite irrelevant to the foolish remarks you made in your original post. You have criticised NWO interpretation of the " Cleric" seemingly failing to realise it is based on FOURTH EDITION RULES. Comparisons to AD&D are irrelevant. The Cleric you are alluding to is described as a Battle Cleric in 4e ruleset and it will in all likelihood make an appearance in the updated content.

If you are going to criticise this adaption of the DnD title, at least understand which ruleset they are abiding by because your criticism here is misguided.

Agree or disagree I don't care at least I got the real D&D loyalists 2nd ed.and 4th ed to agree and see the REAL faults in this game.
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    'suggested builds'

Its cheese.

Class is a class. How you build it is D&D

Or you can let Cryptic build them all and still call it D&D.

Reminds me of prerolled characters that you could use in case someone died, or had no time, or as NPCs. Weapons etc all done up.

RIP
    TSR
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    End line here.

This game is called Neverwinter and uses the D&D name and logo, so what that means is this is an offical licenced product from Wizards of the Coast.

Note not TSR as 1) dont exist and 2) dont hold copyright to the D&D brand, this note excludes any reference to earlier builds of the D&D game system.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Agree or disagree I don't care at least I got the real D&D loyalists 2nd ed.and 4th ed to agree and see the REAL faults in this game.

If you believe so, and that makes you feel good, then more power to you. I'm a fan of 3e ruleset; it's where I spent most of my time. There is a lot I do not much like about 4e; but that's not the point here. If you want to criticise 4e, then do that, rather than criticising NWO devs for integrating it into an MMO, as if these changes are primarily their fault. I still maintain that your complaints are misdirected. You came in here bemoaning features, or the lack thereof, of the 4e ruleset, but are directing these complaints at the NW Devs. " You should have used a different ruleset!" is a very different complaint from " You have broken D&D!" Because they haven't.

And further complaining about a lack of stylistic variety in a BETA VERSION of a game. An impetuous and impatient tornado of misinformation that is not even slightly helpful.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    xervai wrote: »

Well, I think comparing it to NWN 1&2 in terms of whether those two titles followed the table top to a tee or not to determine if NWN 3 is close enough to the incarnation it picked to follow (4th ed.) is warranted, because many people will play this game in lieu of a NWN 1&2 experience or the table top game. I know MMOs function differently, but many people started playing D&D with the 4th ed., and Cryptic may be able to squeeze a little bit more of it into their game after all; that is, if we give them the feedback they need.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hmmm let me think about this for a moment.....

Oh yes I remember now I used to play at the weekend with the TSR team in Cambridge UK AND if that doesnt help I have worked in the RPG Industry for companies such as Cubicle 7, Avenger Enterprises, Mongoose Publishing and many others.
    I was in charge of all the playtesting and feedback to the dev team for Doctor Who and The One Rings RPG's.
    As directly related to D&D, well the first ever book I was involved with was Field Folio and played very early testers for what became Forgotten Realms in 1984'ish.

So what about you ?

Oh, I'm sorry <derogatory removed>, I guess the only thing I have under my belt to trump you: I AM A FAN OF DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, starting from Chainmail, which you should be familiar with, all the way until Wizards screwed the franchise. At the end of the day, it is not the corporate people who win. Ask Michael Bay about that, reference to the TMNT fail. It is the FANS who decide what is what, otherwise, said product does not get used. I bought about everything 4th ed. has to offer. Guess what I'm playing now with my group? Second Edition AD&D! So, tell me <derogatory removed> I know everything, who wins when it comes to product, the creators or the fans?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    vulup wrote: »
    Well, I think comparing it to NWN 1&2 in terms of whether those two titles followed the table top to a tee or not to determine if NWN 3 is close enough to the incarnation it picked to follow (4th ed.) is warranted, because many people will play this game in lieu of a NWN 1&2 experience or the table top game. I know MMOs function differently, but many people started playing D&D with the 4th ed., and Cryptic may be able to squeeze a little bit more of it into their game after all; that is, if we give them the feedback they need.
    FINALLY somone with some Brains in their Head! THANK YOU vulup!
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Devs have stated many times that NWO is not strictly 4e. They were taking elements that fit from other versions too.

We'll see where this ends up. Too early to tell how deep customization will get, and if they finally drop the templates BS and allow you to be an actual class. I can kinda understand how a tank wouldn't magically become some L30 dps paragon one day. D&D was never that forgiving.

There are only 2 Cleric builds. One they do not want (pure healer/support) and the other is DPS. Jury is still out whether the latter is effective striker at end game. I don't see that as much choice within templates even, or in dps skill selection. One paragon path further borks this.. Plz add Radiant Servant lol.

D.Oracle has an awesome passive and at-will, but the rest is kinda meh
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    No one really is a winner here because D&D and the rules (what ever version) are in truth 2 separate entities.
    In this games case the setting and the branding is the vital aspect as the system whilst holding certain nods to D&D is not an actually build based on the underlying mechanics.

As for corporate stooge, well I got into the design side of RPG's from a love of playing the games and seemed to me to be a natural and logical step forward as the companies making the games could see I had knowledge to be a benefit.

In the end Im like yourself I love RPG's and certainly D&D but lets not get all flamed up with the aspects and just game :)
This discussion has been closed.