test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Melee cleric?

Comments

• kaosbainkaosbain Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    so... I just got my beta access and decided to look up my favorite D&D class, the cleric! Lo and behold, there is no cleric in this game, just some pansy *** class that shoots beams of light like a fairy! WHERE IS MY BATTLE CLERIC?!?

My cleric of Tyr weeps...
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kaosbain wrote: »
    so... I just got my beta access and decided to look up my favorite D&D class, the cleric! Lo and behold, there is no cleric in this game, just some pansy *** class that shoots beams of light like a fairy! WHERE IS MY BATTLE CLERIC?!?

Devoted cleric are pretty strong actually. They can summon chain and wear leather.... I mean wear chain mail ... wait that didn't come right.

They can chain you and then throw beams and spray holy water at you... well ... all this talk has made me wonder what a drow female cleric like Lireal Banaere(did I get her name right?) will do with chains and stuff...
  • tau41tau41 Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    kaosbain wrote: »

My Cleric of Lathander wields dual swords to slay evil and restore hope to the downtrodden (swords are more expensive than maces and are the REAL weapon of any self respecting cleric of Lathander, you realize). Looks like we're a HELL of a lot further out from ALL the extended Cleric builds, not just the basic ones.
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't like the aesthetics of devoted clerics carrying around giant implements, especially having with them all looking identical. If they aren't going to let devoted clerics equip a weapon + shield, I'd wish they'd at least let us equip a small version implement in the main hand + a shield in the off hand, with your implement being given a visual based on your deity choice.
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • christovaochristovao Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys look at 0:30 and 0:40 in this video, there is something like a Battle cleric at left side! :D
    http://youtu.be/oeMBI9suBLc
  • nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    This cleric version reminds me of a build I did in 3.5e once. Pure caster with cool spells from Gazeteers like 'The Northern Reaches' that include a L1 lance spell similar to MM.

Searing Light, Scorching Ray and some neat stuff for mid level dps. Think she used domain magic from Fire and Magic realms. Glantri Gazeteer was very good for adding depth to a pure casting character.

Interesting twist, but far from the stereotypical Cleric of old.
  • fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why would you need to avoid paying $200?? The game is F2P.

Maybe because there are people out there to support a game they like, appreciate and want to play and not just mooch the system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    cwiyk13 wrote: »
    I don't like the aesthetics of devoted clerics carrying around giant implements, especially having with them all looking identical. If they aren't going to let devoted clerics equip a weapon + shield, I'd wish they'd at least let us equip a small version implement in the main hand + a shield in the off hand, with your implement being given a visual based on your deity choice.

It's in the works :) Implements by deity (and enchantment level)

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/roadhousem/Implementsbydeity_zps6cd83589.jpg

Implementsbydeity_zps6cd83589.jpg

Found maces too:

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/roadhousem/Maces_zps6f366d2b.jpg

Maces_zps6f366d2b.jpg
  • greenmoxgreenmox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wouldn't mind a Tempuran Warpriest! With a battle axe and tower shield! :)

-Moxy
  • doug200463doug200463 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    christovao wrote: »
    Hey guys look at 0:30 and 0:40 in this video, there is something like a Battle cleric at left side! :D
    http://youtu.be/oeMBI9suBLc

Im guessing they have some classes that are "Almost complete" but not ready for release, but i agree with you, i see a female with a shield on her back and a mace at her side, and she appears to be casting something... i really hope they do a battle priest... but till then im gonna play the Devoted.. w/o any complaints, cuse they are bad-*** too.
    Clerics need a BUFF! Not a Nerf! Or create another healing class thats able to heal a group well...
    edited March 2013
    I did find me a bunch of staves too while looking. Wonder if they are for the Warlock class
  • bjac9bjac9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited March 2013
    The melee cleric would probably be Priest of Lathander.
  • christovaochristovao Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bjac9 wrote: »
    The melee cleric would probably be Priest of Lathander.

Maybe is a Morninglord! ;)

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Morninglord
  • foundermeo1foundermeo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Theres a list of future classes that they plan on implementing floating around on the inter-ma-nets, just Google it, some poor sap probably leaked it and is about to face an immanent firing,

oh wait IGN got hold of it here

http://au.ign.com/wikis/neverwinter/Neverwinter_Classes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!
  • angusitoangusito Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited March 2013
    ok, look like i gonna start to play NW in a bunch of months when they inplement the real cleric and not this pansy with a big cross, i created a dwarf and for a moment i feel like the fool of kelgar wanting be a monk DX
  • sigmarite2sigmarite2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeeesss! BA warpriests for the win
  • sumnzsumnz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If this game isnt going to even have a real cleric, im going to pass. And no a pretend sorceror who gets his spells from a god instead of magic to throw light spears is NOT a real cleric. There is a reason 4th ed flopped HARD and is in the works to be replaced by 5th edition, probably before this game even launches!

The edition of this game may be outdated before it goes live! That dosent bode well for the ruleset of this game.
  • andragonorandragonor Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    would love to the maces and sheild of a cleric, I dont like the idea of holeding a holy smble to fight everey thing
    edited March 2013
    ..must .. have .. big .. assss .. earring .. in .. hand
  • rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Something worth noting:

In 4E, Clerics start with chainmail and no shield proficiencies. The Battle Cleric build grants scale armor proficiency and a +2 shield bonus to AC, but not proficiency with any shields.

I think it likely that we'll see Warhammer-esque Warrior Priest style Battle Clerics with big two-handed hammers/maces/morningstars. I would prefer a traditional mace/shield Battle Cleric, but I don't have my hopes up at this point.
    8.jpg
  • rosselohrosseloh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    andragonor wrote: »
    would love to the maces and sheild of a cleric, I dont like the idea of holeding a holy smble to fight everey thing
    Just the symbol would be all right (not perfect, but all right) if it wasn't so freakin' huge. I really feel like I should be swinging that thing around as a flail, so it would do more damage.
    Turn - Dwarf Wizard
    Turniwen - Half-orc GWF
    Turnholm Twofoot
    - Halfling Cleric of Kelemvor
    Errol Lackelir - Half-elf Rogue
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rosseloh wrote: »
    Just the symbol would be all right (not perfect, but all right) if it wasn't so freakin' huge. I really feel like I should be swinging that thing around as a flail, so it would do more damage.

Agreed. If they change nothing else, at the very least, they need to decrease the size of the Devoted Cleric's implement.
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    rosseloh wrote: »

Yep it overly large well at lest you can run a dungeons in civilian clothing sets and not have to see it if you wish (that what i am planning on doing with my Cleric).
  • rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    kotli wrote: »
    Yep it overly large well at lest you can run a dungeons in civilian clothing sets and not have to see it if you wish (that what i am planning on doing with my Cleric).

I don't mind how the holy symbol looks, personally. At first it was off-putting but it grew on me, now I love it!

Does that actually work with the civvie clothes? I figured it would still show your weapons at least. Would be funny though, seeing a whole party is civvie clothes. Rogues stabbing with fists, GF's blocking with their forearms, GWF swinging nothing but still hurting things... xD
    8.jpg
  • dicehounddicehound Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For over 30 years, the classic cleric was an armor and shield wearing, mace wielding dude. To not have that class as a core class in a D&D game makes me sad.
  • thevagrant79thevagrant79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just really want to roll a craghammer wielding, Dwarven Cleric
  • piratedrugallpiratedrugall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    I'm willing to bet Battle Cleric is just around the corner, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

But yeah, I agree on the massive implements. Having one that massive and epic from the get-go I feel cheapens it a little bit. An epic max level Cleric, sure, but a whimpy level 1 Cleric? I like to see my gear's appearance scaling with my level, so eh.

Not a big deal though, so oh well.
  • malvolio11malvolio11 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Be nice to see a Cleric with a mace and shield not...whatever stupid thing the Devoted Cleric is using,

A giant dropped his earring and your returning it to him.. that must be what it is.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would love to see a melee cleric (Templar). Bursts and blasts using the weapon, some other powers (Healing Strike, Forgemasters Flame, etc). Ways to pick up proficiencies for heavier armor/shields would also be welcome.

This goes on my list of requests that includes things like:
    Shardminds and other cool races
    CC specialization
    Avenger and other cool classes
    Free-form power selection within your class
    Bows and heavy thrown weapons
    etc
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
    edited April 2013
    How many of you would be OK with playing a Paladin instead? It's possible the devs will decide the two classes (BC/Paladin) are too similar and not worth the time to make properly distinct over adding a whole new class concept altogether. I mean would you rather the game had both of these classes over a Paladin and an Avenger? Druid? Monk?

I imagine another shield-wielding Defender class but where the GF tends toward the technical utility of long swords the Paladin fights with a warhammer and divine smiting. Plenty of heals and buffs built into his attacks, Lay On Hands for an active heal like Healing Word, Divine Challenge to Mark targets and debuff them for the whole team to take advantage.
    8.jpg