test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why buy a founder pack at this point?

jackal242jackal242 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I just found out about neverwinter and I'm SOOOOO excited. Having played pen and paper Forgotten Realms, AND having played Neverwinter Nights (under Linux) I can't wait for this game.

I'm hoping I get picked to help beta test since I'm a Mac User and really want to try playing under Crossover Games.

But anyhow, all the beta weekends have passed. So why would I buy a founders pack at this point? I really want to play the game but no beta weekends left... so.... why bother with a founder's pack at this point?
Post edited by jackal242 on

Comments

• Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Phat lewtz?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jinnixijinnixi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    jackal242 wrote: »
    I really want to play the game but no beta weekends left... so.... why bother with a founder's pack at this point?

if you buy the guardian pack you can play the game 3days before the rest of the world

but if you buy the hero of the north pack you gets to play 5days before everyone else

if you buy both wich im not sure why but if you do you will get 2times the bags and
    2,600,000 astral diamonds to spend in the auction and to donate in foundry
    1 of everything else that comes with the founders packs (like mounts etc)
    you will still get to play 5days before the rest of the world
    fs.png
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Don't look at the Founder's Pack as Beta Access, for that is not what it is selling. It is just one of the many bonuses to buying the Founder Status. Instead, look at the perks, bonuses, and other things that the Packs come with and the decision should be easy!
  • Options
    oogee83oogee83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    as for the beta access, sure they only said they're having 3 beta weekends for sure. Things change, look at the founder's pack items on the site, one link lists what you actually get, and the other link lists what was originally in them Info becomes out of date, stuff doesn't get updated, you can never be sure what will happen in mmo's before launch, we could see another weekend, we could see five. Honestly though if you wanted beta access alone there were lots of places to find keys, hell i found mine for BW3 by accident while updating my video drivers :P
  • Options
    miphiousmiphious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My question is the game good enough to be worth dropping the large money on. I did this with DC online, and well it kinda fell through.

This game looks great and so i bought the 60 dollar version, but I really like the stuff they offer in the 200 dollar one. Problem is i haven't gotten a chance to land any of the beta weekends, so im kinda in the dark.

What do you guys think? think the games solid enough that it will still be going strong a year or 2 down the road?
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just found out about neverwinter and I'm SOOOOO excited. Having played pen and paper Forgotten Realms, AND having played Neverwinter Nights (under Linux) I can't wait for this game.
    Yeah back then NWN was one of the very few big games supported on Linux!
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will say yes, the founder packs will give you items, some of which are exclusive (only ever will be available in the Founder's packages) and some of which are discounted items you'll likely purchase anyway (meaning their normal cost, when all things considered are compared, will be more, were you to purchases everything separately).

As for playing on the Mac: Parallels seems to do better than Fusion, however Boot Camp does a LOT better and allows your Mac to Rival some of the most Kickbutt PCs out there, because it's running Windows (and Neverwinter) natively. But that's all your call. As for gameplay itself - hit-up YouTube and see for yourself.

It's not for everyone, but it sure ranks up there pretty high. And for me it doesn't matter much that it's D&D particularly, it just plain makes for an awesome "fantasy-based" MMO, legally D&D or not.
  • Options
    zelibelizelibeli Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I didn't buy the guardian pack until after the beta weekends on purpose, because I wanted to make sure the game was worth the investment. I wouldn't ever recommend paying for any beta. Had that been my goal, I would have been rather upset as there were many free ways to get into the 3rd beta weekend (which is how I got in). The perks for the guardian pack are worth it, for me. You need to decide if you think those items are worth it to you.
    cori-3a_zpsc08072b2.png
  • Options
    arnathosarnathos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you can afford to buy a Founder's pack (be it Guardian or HoTN, or both) and enjoy a D7D feel of gaming you should do it to support the game. I played BW2 then had to buy the HoTN pack because i enjoyed so much of what I played. There has been no official announcements at this time but who knows, maybe more closed beta week ends will come up, you get neat stuff, can play 5 days before other if you get HoTN and on top of all that, you get to beat queues when they get too high as you gain VIP access.

All of the above if just fluff, I bought it to support the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dec0ydeaditedec0ydeadite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zelibeli wrote: »
    I wouldn't ever recommend paying for any beta.

i'd pay to beta test elder scrolls online, and i don't think i would be the only one willing to do so. i think there is a potential market there; people are willing to pay to play highly anticipated titles regardless of the state they're in.

consumerism at its best haha.
    those dam_ HOTN players ruin everything.
    STRUGGLING? uMAD? QQ? NEED A GUIDE? GET SPOON FED HERE! NOMNOMNOM
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I'm hoping I get picked to help beta test since I'm a Mac User and really want to try playing under Crossover Games.

But anyhow, all the beta weekends have passed. So why would I buy a founders pack at this point? I really want to play the game but no beta weekends left... so.... why bother with a founder's pack at this point?

Menzo Drow would be a biggi. The additional character slots. Astral Diamonds. Companions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't ever recommend paying for any beta.

Typical misconception. You never were paying for beta access. You are paying for the items and services offered. The free beta access was just an extra perk, nothing more.

To the OP: The question is whether the exclusive mount, Astral Diamonds, Extras character slot and the rest are worth your investment. Not any beta access. Look at the items you get in the package, weigh their worth, decided whether you will throw your trust to Cryptic regarding the entertainment value of the game overall.

Then decide for yourself.

I've personally been happy (more or less) with all of Cryptic's stuff. Sure, they've stumbled, but have also learned from their mistakes and always strive to make things better. They also already know that with the free-to-play model the entire onus is on them to create awesome stuff - or no one will buy the add-ons, then they will flounder. They know what's at stake.

And all of the above, for myself, was enough for me to invest. But to do so is a decision everyone has to make for themselves.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Typical misconception. You never were paying for beta access. You are paying for the items and services offered. The free beta access was just an extra perk, nothing more.

Funny, I looked at is as another service offered. To say one paid all their money just for beta, would be incorrect. But a little something goes to it as well as any other service/feature offered. To say one paid for everything else and got beta for free, seems convenient to your argument, nothing more. It was all part of the total pkg, like it was part of my T2 pre-order offer.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Funny, I looked at is as another service offered. To say one paid all their money just for beta, would be incorrect. But a little something goes to it as well as any other service/feature offered. To say one paid for everything else and got beta for free, seems convenient to your argument, nothing more. It was all part of the total pkg, like it was part of my T2 pre-order offer.

Oh, I agree! :)

I also agree that Cryptic needs to remove all references to any beta access from their marketing material regarding those Founder's packs unless there is another in store. And I do apologize if my response above came-off as curt, I didn't intended that, but since you only quoted that one sentence I can understand how it colored the entire comment.

The primary point I was trying to make I made, and I took that perspective because the OP looked a lot like most other "buy your way into beta" threads, but a more sincere question, so I tried to provide a thoughtful response.

No offense was intended, and I do stand by my belief that the beta access parts were just "perks" and not really part of what I was purchasing (I'm an HotN). Kind of like a "thank you for supporting us, here's a free invite to play with us while you wait for launch" kind of thing. And I am not saying this was Cryptic's intent, I am saying this is how I perceived from the beginning.

Though I will ad mit this: beta weekend access was not a purchasing decision, but it was a "when to purchase' decision. :)
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now that beta is done, you can buy the Founders pack for Early Access! If you were going to buy the Founders specifically for Beta then you can get it specifically for Early Access!
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i'd pay to beta test elder scrolls online, and i don't think i would be the only one willing to do so. i think there is a potential market there; people are willing to pay to play highly anticipated titles regardless of the state they're in.

consumerism at its best haha.

dec0ydeadite, is that avatar from Ong-Bak?
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    zelibelizelibeli Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's not a misconception that I had. What I was saying was that all of the package was worth it to me even if you don't consider beta as part of the package. The one sentence quoted on its own is misleading. We actually seem to agree. :)
    I didn't buy the guardian pack until after the beta weekends on purpose, because I wanted to make sure the game was worth the investment. I wouldn't ever recommend paying for any beta. Had that been my goal, I would have been rather upset as there were many free ways to get into the 3rd beta weekend (which is how I got in). The perks for the guardian pack are worth it, for me. You need to decide if you think those items are worth it to you.
    cori-3a_zpsc08072b2.png
  • Options
    savagefistsavagefist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am also interested in the Founder packs but was not necessarily interested in Beta. My questions are:

1. Is the companion pet a combat or non-combat pet?
    2. Do any of you beta players have any idea of the cost of Astral Diamonds in the cash shop? The reason I ask is to gauge what 600,000 Astral Diamonds can buy and whether buying now I will get a better rate of diamonds per dollar.
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    Intel 335 Series Jay Crest 240GB
    3 x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB
    XFX Core Edition FX-785A-CNL4 Radeon HD 7850 2GB
  • Options
    jezathforumjezathforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Im trying to save for a founders pack at the current time as I need the headstart access in order to set up my guild properly.. Im sick and off work with a bad spine and saome other complications and so I dont have much spare cash lying around, this means unless i win a competition it doesent look like i will be able to save enough up! I hope I can though..

enjin-393296-13641734601093802493-gray.png
    "There are two things that drive technology forward in a huge leap in this world, one is war and one is business..."-- Timothy Wade 2012
    "If you wish to join a guild, that will be running a guild foundry RP campaign then come take a look at [BLOOD]"
  • Options
    jonathanfljonathanfl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    *edit - can no longer find the red post*
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jonathanfl wrote: »
    If you buy HotN you get 5 days early
    If you buy GP you get 3 days early
    If you buy both you get 8 days early

A red-named confirmed that previously

-JJ

Proof of 8 days early or I call shennanigans
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It was posted when they provided a break down of how everything from the various packs "stacked" (bags, etc), but I am currently unable to find the post that listed out the stacking pieces for the packs at all...

I know I read it because it listed everything from the diamonds to the bags to the early access time to the character slots. I have no idea where that post went, but I am positive I read it on here before BW3.

-JJ
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    After a cursory search, I am unable to find such a post. I want to believe you, as I would then purchase the $60 pack as well. Unfortunately, I am going to need at least a community mod post to substantiate this claim.
  • Options
    umbravenatorumbravenator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It was posted when they provided a break down of how everything from the various packs "stacked" (bags, etc), but I am currently unable to find the post that listed out the stacking pieces for the packs at all...

I know I read it because it listed everything from the diamonds to the bags to the early access time to the character slots. I have no idea where that post went, but I am positive I read it on here before BW3.

-JJ

Yeah... nope
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ

I imagine he may be referring to the Extended FAQ but headstart is not mentioned in there. There was a post by a player wishlist-ing an 8 day headstart though in a different thread.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Not quite, it was a post in another thread discussing the value of the different packs and there was a post in there explaining how everything stacked.

It's not wishful thinking or anything like that, I don't have either pack, it's just what I read in the thread.

Since I can no longer find that post, I'll go ahead and edit my previous post to remove that.

-JJ
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    arnathos wrote: »
    If you can afford to buy a Founder's pack (be it Guardian or HoTN, or both) and enjoy a D7D feel of gaming you should do it to support the game. I played BW2 then had to buy the HoTN pack because i enjoyed so much of what I played. There has been no official announcements at this time but who knows, maybe more closed beta week ends will come up, you get neat stuff, can play 5 days before other if you get HoTN and on top of all that, you get to beat queues when they get too high as you gain VIP access.

All of the above if just fluff, I bought it to support the game.

I got mine for the free mount, the better companion (because as a cleric I'm gonna need help!) the level 60 item and the free mount and currency.

The bag I would like to see increased in size because I believe it should be worth the price I paid for the package.
  • Options
    savagefistsavagefist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not quite, it was a post in another thread discussing the value of the different packs and there was a post in there explaining how everything stacked.

It's not wishful thinking or anything like that, I don't have either pack, it's just what I read in the thread.

Since I can no longer find that post, I'll go ahead and edit my previous post to remove that.

-JJ

using the FAQ that zurkhon posted, I clicked another link, and found this

If I buy more than one type of Founder's Pack, will the character slots and respec tokens stack?

Yes, you will receive the character slot upgrades and respec tokens from both packs.

If I buy the Neverwinter Starter Kit and Hero of the North Founder's Pack, do the Bags of Holding stack?

Yes, you will receive two Bags of Holding, one from each pack.

Was this what you were looking for?
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    Intel 335 Series Jay Crest 240GB
    3 x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB
    XFX Core Edition FX-785A-CNL4 Radeon HD 7850 2GB
  • Options
    gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Crossover works perfectly on my Macs, so don't bother boot camping or running emulators like Parallels or Fusion.

Getting the Founders pack will get you front of the line access, which is going to be a godsend when this game goes live and everyone tries to log in. Guaranteed to get your Neverwinter fix instead waiting in the queue.
  • Options
    mothdrumsmothdrums Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    personally. Id say save your $60-$200 and spend it on Zen. Zen is the main currency to by all the awesome mounts and companions, plus a bunch of other stuff. I got the Guardian pack and After beta I thought to my self that the $60 worth of Zen would of been better.
    enginsizesig2_zps97620aec.jpg