test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

drizzt, drizzt, drizzt. would you be terribly upset if he didn't make an appearance?

surixurientsurixurient Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I don't know about you but I am all Drizzted out. Lets let something else from the rich world of Toril be the center of the universe for awhile :p
Post edited by surixurient on

Comments

• Options
    pacmanlawyerpacmanlawyer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would be upset, because I for one would want to fight him and beat him. In fact, I think its fair to say that killing him and Elminster (the two power characters that define power characters for me) would be an absolute highlight.

I have never made any content for a game before, but I would learn how to use the foundry just to make Elminster and Drizzt missions where they go crazy and have to be killed.
  • Options
    mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would learn how to use the foundry just to make Elminster and Drizzt missions where they go crazy and have to be killed.
    That sounds legit.
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope to see appearances from anyone during the time frame, would be silly not to have them in a bit of lore or a small part of a epic dungeon or something.
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You don't have to like Drizzt, but you'll be playing a game, based on a city that has been re-written by his author, and full of lore and story that includes him heavily. I for one would be immensely disappointed if the famed Drow ranger didn't make it into the game.
    If you don't like him, don't play the story arcs that include him. Or find another game. This is Neverwinter. Who's novel defined it's present state? What character(s) by that author were instrumental in the telling of the Neverwinter story? Those who don't like it, well... It's Neverwinter, written by R. A. Salvatore.
  • Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't know about you but I am all Drizzted out. Lets let something else from the rich world of Toril be the center of the universe for awhile :p

I'm pretty sure I already spotted Drizzt and Dahlia in that Tavern. The only patrons that were labeled differently in the tavern. *shrug* Maybe they put them there in beta as an Easter egg.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    alurlalurl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If they're true to the timeline that they've set this in, where it's 100 years after the spellplague, making it 1485. I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That doesn't make sense to me. They already stated this follows the current timeline of the books, and I've been reading the Salvatore books. Wouldn't make sense to say they are continuing the storyline of the books then NOT place him in there somewhere.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    alurlalurl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Finish reading them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Books take place around 1463, I believe they take a little nap for 18 years at end. That should put us right around this games time frame. And since the books all say Prelude to the MMO I would hope some of the lore is in the game. I just like stuff like that.

If you look at Zebulars time line on page 2 Grimoire of Time Helms hold gamplay video is 1473.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I expect to encounter at least Drizzt. The reason is his face is plastered everywhere for the promotions and media for Neverwinter Online. I hope to encounter many more notable NPCs, such as Elminster, The Simbul, Storm, and so on. I also hope to encounter Avatars of the Gods too, at some point.

bobcat1313 wrote: »
    If you look at Zebulars time line on page 2 Grimoire of Time Helms hold gamplay video is 1473.

You most likely made a typo but as a Timekeeper, I'd just like to clear this up.

Helm's Hold Video depicts stuff from 1478 DR, not 1473. Both the 4e FR Campaign Guide and 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting begins at 1479 DR (month unkown, left up to DMs). I expect the game to be either in 1478 DR or 1479 DR. No one at PWE/Cyrptic or WotC has answered any inquiries as to NWO's start date.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    You most likely made a typo but as a Timekeeper, I'd just like to clear this up.

Bwahahaha 3 or 8 about same thing. I'm alway ahead of me one brain cell. Should of copy paste, ugh can never go wrong with copy past!

After my second cup of coffee, yeah I see it now. Tonight and tomorrow is wine nights, ugh be with them stinky elves(in-laws)
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    alurl wrote: »
    If they're true to the timeline that they've set this in, where it's 100 years after the spellplague, making it 1485. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Drow live for up to 750 years on average (some may live longer though). BTW Drizzt was born 1297 DR add on 750 to this means he will still be alive in the year 2047 unless he been killed by someone or something before then.
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    He's dead.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    He's dead.

Lol, well I was trying not to spoil it.

And to kotli, I'm well aware of how long drow live.

Drizzt supposedly 'dies' in 1484. The game starts in 1485 probably due to Salvatore not wanting to have to feel obligated to work with adding him in any way shape or form here, or he's just getting old :P

edit: Noticed they also added it to the FR wiki recently, as the last time I checked - it wasn't there. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drizzt_Do'Urden
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    surixurientsurixurient Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    alurl wrote: »
    Lol, well I was trying not to spoil it.

And to kotli, I'm well aware of how long drow live.

Drizzt supposedly 'dies' in 1484. The game starts in 1485 probably due to Salvatore not wanting to have to feel obligated to work with adding him in any way shape or form here, or he's just getting old :P

edit: Noticed they also added it to the FR wiki recently, as the last time I checked - it wasn't there. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drizzt_Do'Urden

Wow, I have new respect for the man for recognizing that he shouldn't just keep writing about drizzt forever.
    Now perhaps I can go back and enjoy all those drizzt cameos in FR games knowing he wont be coming back, ever, again. :)
  • Options
    ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I know Drizzt is the Forgotten Realms poster boy, but my interest in the setting has nothing to do with him. It's a huge and lore-rich universe that offers a variety of races, cultures and aesthetics to appeal to different tastes, and while drow capture the imaginations of a healthy slice of the book-buyers, they don't much appeal to me. He can appear or not appear and my opinion of the game will remain the same. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
  • Options
    toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wow, I have new respect for the man for recognizing that he shouldn't just keep writing about drizzt forever.
    Now perhaps I can go back and enjoy all those drizzt cameos in FR games knowing he wont be coming back, ever, again. :)
    Drizzt is, however, on the cover of the next book, The Companions. I'm not so sure that he's quite as bad off as the book makes him out to be.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Companions-Sundering-Book/dp/0786963719
  • Options
    rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013

Salvatore wanted to kill off Drizzt a loooooong time ago. Entreri was supposed to do it sometime after Halfling's Gem, but WotC didn't let him. Fans love him too much.

It should also be noted that Drizzt wasn't ever intended to be the main character, Wulfgar was. Read the foreword in the Icewind Dale Trilogy collector's edition and it explains that big D was made up on the spot just before pitching his book to the publisher. xD
    8.jpg
  • Options
    roninthehoodroninthehood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I would be upset, because I for one would want to fight him and beat him. In fact, I think its fair to say that killing him and Elminster (the two power characters that define power characters for me) would be an absolute highlight.

I have never made any content for a game before, but I would learn how to use the foundry just to make Elminster and Drizzt missions where they go crazy and have to be killed.

I cant even laugh at the ignorance of this statement... It is like the bright eyes of a 5 year old saying how they will rule the world and they are smarter already then all adults and have nothing to learn.

IF there are just 60 levels in this game..... then where in your wisdom would drizzt be? hmmm lets see.. add all the lore. hmm about 100th level? what would you do to stick with the proper lore?? make a drizzt raid of 40+ 60ths to fight him? cause that is what he beats on a daily basis in the lore and books.
    it would be plain and utter retardation for them to try to put drizzt ib the game as a char you can fight.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    drizzt, drizzt, drizzt. would you be terribly upset if he didn't make an appearance?

I might have an upset stomach if he did make an appearance . . . I would like the game to have its own characters and develop them instead. Reference is fine - we already have a wench in that orc area referring to him, but anything more is just cheesy.
  • Options
    vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Drizzt is getting drunk with founders in the north at the Ye'old Bud !
  • Options
    txhawktxhawk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    IF there are just 60 levels in this game..... then where in your wisdom would drizzt be? hmmm lets see.. add all the lore. hmm about 100th level? what would you do to stick with the proper lore?? make a drizzt raid of 40+ 60ths to fight him? cause that is what he beats on a daily basis in the lore and books.
    it would be plain and utter retardation for them to try to put drizzt ib the game as a char you can fight.

You're thinking of 3.5, not 4E

4E only goes up to level 30, at which point you're meant to ascend to some form of immortality having fought gods etc for ten levels. This game multiplies that by three, so we start paragon tier and choose a paragon path at 30 instead of 10, and finish it at 60 instead of 20.

So at maximum level in this game, we're the equivalent of 4E level 20.

Discussions on various D&D board use various facts about Drzzt's equipment, abilities and the kind of foes he finds a challenge to place him at about level 17 in 4E terms. Another Dragon magazine article put him at 21.

That makes Drizzt either a level 51 or 63 character in this game, against our maximum level of 60.

Yep, we can take him.
    Waiting for paladins...
  • Options
    narc2311narc2311 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    look we all know that drizzt is realy chuck norris ...so hence he cant die or be killed :D
    DoubleFacepalm.jpg
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    narc2311 wrote: »
    look we all know that drizzt is realy chuck norris ...so hence he cant die or be killed :D

That is correct. Drizzit is actually Chuck Norris's halloween custome.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    drizzzz is probably ascending and becoming a chosen of Meilekki and ride with her on that unicorn Lurue in forest ...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    That is correct. Drizzit is actually Chuck Norris's halloween custome.

This is just too funny... ahhhh
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Drizzt is not dead. It's been stated (as pointed out above) by a WotC panel that Drizzt will be a part of the Sundering novels leading up to D&D Next. You can find an RP transcript of the introduction as well as a link to the video itself to listen to the panel before and after the transcription in my Grimoire of Time, starting with Entry XVI. It's also been said that Elminster will also play a role and be in the last of the Sundering Series.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Drizzt is not dead. It's been stated (as pointed out above) by a WotC panel that Drizzt will be a part of the Sundering novels leading up to D&D Next. You can find an RP transcript of the introduction as well as a link to the video itself to listen to the panel before and after the transcription in my Grimoire of Time, starting with Entry XVI. It's also been said that Elminster will also play a role and be in the last of the Sundering Series.

The way I interpret it is that he died and became an Epic Level Chosen character and then starts to aid in larger workings of realms.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    rkv13 wrote: »
    Salvatore wanted to kill off Drizzt a loooooong time ago. Entreri was supposed to do it sometime after Halfling's Gem, but WotC didn't let him. Fans love him too much.

It should also be noted that Drizzt wasn't ever intended to be the main character, Wulfgar was. Read the foreword in the Icewind Dale Trilogy collector's edition and it explains that big D was made up on the spot just before pitching his book to the publisher. xD

Do you know where I can read an account of Salvatore wanting to kill off Drizzt but WotC not letting him? That is very interesting to me, did they just convince him it would be a bad idea or did they pull out some kind of contractual obligation? Why did he cave??
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Post Icewind Dale Trilogy, Drizzt started getting really annoying. The poetry/journal entries between chapters... dude just do it already. The emo thing got old really fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]