test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Raiding in Neverwinter

Comments

• Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm all for world bosses, with a weekly reset, that'd take 75+ to down it. just saying...
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    I'm all for world bosses, with a weekly reset, that'd take 75+ to down it. just saying...

That doesn't really work with a single-server architecture. No matter when that reset occurs, it is guaranteed that entire regions of the planet won't be around, and that it will be downed within minutes of appearing. Basically whoever's prime time that's in will be the only people who ever see it. A much more frequent reset would be needed; several times a day at least.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    silidons wrote: »
    Raids are only fun if they are as hard as Vanilla WoW. Raiding isn't fun if 90% of people can do the content because it's so easy.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, I feel that whilst end game content should be challenging, it shouldn't be so hard that only a small % of the game have a chance to complete it.
  • Options
    realsk2011realsk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kharnagex wrote: »
    yes i agree with raids, but not as easy as WoW plz, like EQ1 hard, you know HARD raids, but reward EVERYONE who participated, like in GW2 that would be preferable.

I'd say 10/15/20/25/more? player raids would be the way to go, especially if players are allowed to create raids in Foundry. As for rewarding everybody - Cryptic already does this with dungeons(everybody gets a few seals at the end of the dungeon) so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same with raids.

Giving an open-ended raid creation option(must be designed for minimum 2, maximum 5 groups with mob difficulty scaling based on size of event) to foundry would be awesome. Allowing hard-modes(say you design a raid for x groups in foundry, but can choose hard mode which sets mob difficulty to x+1 and boss difficulty to x+2 group levels, making this require extensive skill/gear/coordination/all of the above to defeat - for example. Raid designed for 3 groups would be designed with mobs and bosses being a normal challenge for your average raid of 3 groups, but on hard mobs would be as difficult as trash for 4-groups on normal, and bosses as difficult as they would be for 5 groups on normal) or even further allowances for customization.

I'm looking forward to this game, but don't get too excited about Cryptic's content, they will likely make decent content that gets you from point a to point b(which is what they've done with STO) and step back to let the community keep the game alive between big content updates - the real shining jewels will be player created foundry raids, just as Foundry missions are already starting to outstrip Cryptic missions in popularity. (As an aside, I'm actually in favor of this business model. By stepping back and letting player foundry missions provide the majority of content between major updates Cryptic frees their developers up to work on the features that we all really want to see - like new races and classes. You can see an example of how well this works with STO: Legacy of Romulus is coming in may, and the foundry missions made by the community have kept current players content while Cryptic worked on LoR)
    9.jpg
  • Options
    japo1japo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited March 2013
    No raid in neverwinter please, raid concept is outdated...
    Personally i prefer 5 man party content tactically challenging
    :mad:
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I am all for options in a game. My only gripe with how raids have been handled in the past is that it became the only means of progression. I dont mind them if other paths exist for those who cannot devote the time or do not like to raid.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    PWE almost always has world bosses (and shards). The thing is, you can have them spawn on 10 shards and they will inevitably be spawning at different times. Perhaps a few would be very epic, and ~5 man ones more common.
  • Options
    iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I didn't even think of Foundry raids. That would be amazing and it would allow raiders to create raids for like minded players. I wonder if they could incorporate mechanics into the Foundry to allow creators to have their Raid Bosses do different things.

I do like open world bosses as well, but it can instigate a lot of bad blood on a server. Certain guilds will just lock down bosses and no other guild will be able to touch it, unless it is done GW2 fashion, where anyone who contributes to the encounter gets loot. Which would be a really good idea for World Bosses and encourage groups to work together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I really hoped to see some foundry content that was aimed at more party members / higher skill level
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

I'm not aware of what the specific plans for raids are, but I do know that Neverwinter will definitely have challenging end-game content that will require teamwork and gear that requires a bit of in-game effort to obtain. :)
    Thanks yes I want ENDGAME!

However I know there will be raids!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EeicfJGm-k8
    Skip to 3.57... RAIDS ARE CONFIRMED! WOHOO! YEEEEEES! However we still don't know how hardcore this game is in loot policy. To say it is even near as hardcore in loot system as WOW is guessing and that has not been proved. However developers have said that this game has ENDGAME and now it is confirmed that RAIDS will be released sooner or later after release. I have no idea how big raids that is unknown... 10 maybe, but that is a wild guess.

There could be however 10 player Raids AND also bigger raids like 25 I do not know raid size except certainly bigger then 5 players. Finally please do not expect soon after release Raids. Raids might be released many months or even a year after release.
  • Options
    vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »

Skip to 3.57... RAIDS ARE CONFIRMED! WOHOO! YEEEEEES! However we still don't know how hardcore this game is in loot policy. To say it is even near as hardcore in loot system as WOW is guessing and that has not been proved. However developers have said that this game has ENDGAME and now it is confirmed that RAIDS will be released sooner or later after release. I have no idea how big raids that is unknown... 10 maybe, but that is a wild guess.

There could be however 10 player Raids AND also bigger raids like 25 I do not know raid size except certainly bigger then 5 players. Finally please do not expect soon after release Raids. Raids might be released many months or even a year after release.

Get news ! Now maybe people will focus on how great the game is and stop crying about everthing.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    vampero wrote: »
    Get news ! Now maybe people will focus on how great the game is and stop crying about everthing.
    Yeah and while I said this:

remember that WOW also got raids after the release. This is a free game and we should be thankful for the content we get.

Oh while I said like ENDGAME of course like also many low-medium level FOUNDRY adventures. I am a WOW veteran, but I also liked Neverwinter Nights games etc. and I am happy we will have a community of skilled creators that create nice adventures. I finally got into the Beta at third(my first) Beta Weekend and I enjoyed PvE mainstory/campaign, PvP combat and also a good player created Foundry adventure.
  • Options
    desmundesmun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2013
    I've never liked raids. Always preferred the small group content.
  • Options
    ambermajambermaj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope they make endgame content for multiple playstyles. Raids, 5 man, 3 man and solo stuff so everyone has something they like.

I am personally not a raid person. Raids often turn into pure choreography but I have friends who do. I like small group and solo stuff but I know people that do not.

The more and varied the endgame experience, the more likely the game thrives. I think we can all get behind that :)
    Cuz you sebestimated me!
  • Options
    drentikadrentika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Raids in my humble opinion should be dealt with over the foundry system. If you can do that this game will win due to players making their lore, their challenges obtainable for all the others. Thereby you also would enchorage the lore-seeking adventurer and the end-game focused hardcore player, next to the role playing playerbase. The game could win significantly due to this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    drentika wrote: »
    Raids in my humble opinion should be dealt with over the foundry system. If you can do that this game will win due to players making their lore, their challenges obtainable for all the others. Thereby you also would enchorage the lore-seeking adventurer and the end-game focused hardcore player, next to the role playing playerbase. The game could win significantly due to this.

While I like FOUNDRY basic idea that players can create adventures through FOUNDRY content players should never get best items!
    Why? Because at the end of day if that would be possible FOUNDRY can be exploited. You should however be able to get to max level and get fairly good items(though not best!) through Foundry.

It is not also that a 10 player RAID with a big old Dragon should give better treasure then a young Dragon defeated in solo content.

Raids are not the only PvE endgame option. At release there will be 5 player Heroic Dungeons meant for max level 60 characters. That will be a long time as best PvE item reward source. There is NO support for 3 player instances. Forget that! It is 1, 5 or raids in future. How big Raids there are that is unknown but I would guess between 10-25 players. In WOW nowadays 10 player raids give same rewards as 25 player raids. I would be ok and pleased if 10 player Raids would give best PvE rewards.

PvP? Well that is complicated. PvP gives also rewards that you get by earning valor. How good are the PvP rewards compard to PvE? I don't have no clue about that and I don't even know if there exist specific PvP items like in WOW. Finally we have crafting. I am even in more in dark about crafting because I did play PvP on third Beta Weekend(my first) but I have never crafted anything in this game. Right now there are more questions how good is that items vs that. We have not had access to max level 60 content yet in this game.

Relax people. Before Raids are introduced I think it could take many months or even a year. Thats correct I am saying if game is released in Q2 2013 which is the current plan then Raids might be introduced in Q2 2014. However mark my words. Raids will 90% give the best PvE rewards but if it is like in WOW maybe 5% of best items are through crafting and 5% can be get through other content. What is 5 %? Example maybe the best PvE helmet in the game can be get through a Heroic PvE Dungeon. Well we have PvP also and it might be that if there is a best shoes can be got from PvP.

However lets leave speculation for now. We will have Open Beta and release in Q2. I am sure it should become clear enough before autumn 2013 what give best rewards before Raids. My bet is that Heroic 5 player Dungeons give together with crafting/PvP best rewards until Raids are released. PvP might give very good rewards and maybe you can in future earn some specific items that are better suited for PvP through PvP.

EDIT! I could be wrong about that Players could not create Raids in the future. However I am pretty sure that HUGE Dragon that is barely defeated by 10 players gives better rewards then 1-5 player content. I heard they had even plans that players MAYBE could create PvP Battlegrounds in the future. That said if that would happen it is not certain the tool would be Foundry for that maybe they use a different tool for PvP creating.
  • Options
    ulthgrimulthgrim Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Raids in this game are a bad idea. If raids are implemented then what is the point of high lvl foundry content? Why run high lvl foundry content and gain the rewards from completing the adventure when better rewards can be had from raiding? Raids defeat the purpose of the foundry at high levels and will make it obsolete. I say no to raids, the longevity of this game will come through foundry content, not raids.

You want raiding, go play a game that has it. I'll leave you with an acronym and two words: DDO, Monty Hall.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ulthgrim wrote: »
    Raids in this game are a bad idea. If raids are implemented then what is the point of high lvl foundry content? Why run high lvl foundry content and gain the rewards from completing the adventure when better rewards can be had from raiding? Raids defeat the purpose of the foundry at high levels and will make it obsolete. I say no to raids, the longevity of this game will come through foundry content, not raids.

You want raiding, go play a game that has it. I'll leave you with an acronym and two words: DDO, Monty Hall.
    I don't demand raids at the release, but I am thankful they will be added to the game. As a mirror I could say go and play a game that hates raids and have no raids like Guild wars 2. It has already been decided that this game will have raids since the developers have already started working on them. Well as for your concern for Foundry these are my thoughts:

As always there are positive feedback and negative feedback. Foundry content is actually an alternative means to level up for me. Don't get me wrong sure I can like low-medium adventures. I plan to have one main character... and maybe I keep deleting one character so I can enjoy new low-medium level adventures.

Foundry rewards will most likely not be bad since you can create adventures for 5 level 60 players. When you get to max level you would be most likely slaughtered if you immediately try Raids. I would guess that many players want to gear up with some Foundry content and/or Cryptic made 5 player Heroic dungeons before they even try Raids.
  • Options
    robopwnrobopwn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Definitely disappointed raids will be stinking up Neverwinter as they have every other recent game, hopefully raid rewards don't end up the best possible gear trivializing all other material. I remember the early Foundry interview explaining that Foundry rewards would be on par with all else, but I worry that this may just have been marketing hype as raids are apparently confirmed.
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't understand all the posts about wanting raids to be hard. Do you really think isolating the majority of the player base (people with jobs) in order.to cater to the top 5% is really a good business strategy? Most people don't like having to plan their life around a game, and personally I like a raid that has a bit of a challenge but doesn't take over my life and is accessible to 90% of the player base.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And yet, it was when WoW was like this that it got really popular.

That's a negative there boss. Wows highest subscription. Umbers were in wotlk when raids were most accesable. They upped difficulty in cata and lost almost 4 million subs.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sadgfh wrote: »
    That's a negative there boss. Wows highest subscription. Umbers were in wotlk when raids were most accesable. They upped difficulty in cata and lost almost 4 million subs.
    Well I need to correct you. When has WOW player base dropped below 8 million in recent years? I have not heard about that.

Please keep to facts and stop spreading misinformation. WOW had its highest popularity during 2010 with over 12 million active players that is still World Record.

December 2009 ICC huge RAID with 12 bosses was released and it was certainly hardcore:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Icecrown_Citadel_(instance)

I enjoyed ICC and nobody on my server could boast that they had defeated all 12 bosses even 6 months after ICC release. However ICC still worked since you could do some parts like 4 first bosses which already gave you a good achievment and good item rewards. ICC basically got harder the deeper you got into ICC.

Yes Wrath of Lichking was not so hardcore in difficulty, but that was before ICC huge RAID was released.
    Finally I also enjoyed Catalysm expansion. It was the Heroic 5 player Dungeons in Cata expansion that people complained were to difficult. I liked that difficulty though sometimes I almost could feel the blood in my mouth after biting my tongue in frustration. Eventually people slowly got better gear and then Blizzard some months after Cata release decreased(nerfed) the difficulty in the Heroic Dungeons.

No endgame? No raids needed? I have heard that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> before in Guild Wars 2 forums. What happened? Guild Wars 2 has really bad PvE! The only good part of GW2 is the World PvP, but unfortunately with 2000 players that is a slideshow on my budget gaming laptop. With same laptop I participated in Neverwinter Beta third weekend and to my joy noticed it is playable and Neverwinter >>>>>> Guild Wars 2.
  • Options
    aendaeronaendaeron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And yet still the elitism was so strong newcomers never had a chance to even see ICC beyond the entrance guardian post. Gearchecks and achievement checks demanded by the established playerbase barred them their way.
    Raiding only works for everyone if a raid finder is available and under the condition of being discrimination-free (no inferior loot than premade raids (WoW discriminates LFR players by lowering the item level for LFR loot)). Prefer premade? No problem, go for it. Everyone else is free to use the raid finder then.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    aendaeron wrote: »
    And yet still the elitism was so strong newcomers never had a chance to even see ICC beyond the entrance guardian post. Gearchecks and achievement checks demanded by the established playerbase barred them their way.
    Raiding only works for everyone if a raid finder is available and under the condition of being discrimination-free (no inferior loot than premade raids (WoW discriminates LFR players by lowering the item level for LFR loot)). Prefer premade? No problem, go for it. Everyone else is free to use the raid finder then.
    Yes some Elitist maybe are sometimes to harsh. Whatever you need to do other raids to get better items before ICC raid. Yes some Elitist said to me you need to get better items. That is ok because if there is one player with bad items then all can die in Raid ICC.

Well we only know we will have raids. I do not know if there will be so hard Raid in Neverwinter as ICC was. Finally I said:
    Finally please do not expect soon after release Raids. Raids might be released many months or even a year after release.
    Yes you likely need to be good PvE player if you want to all raids. However for now we do not know how hard raids there will be.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yes you likely need to be good PvE player if you want to all raids. However for now we do not know how hard raids there will be.

I believe we rly need to be good at this game to make some content, i tryed the mad dragon delve and the majority i played with wasnt even able to drop it to half HP. I was probably a bit low lvl to do it (lvl 32) but the content start to getting harder and harder as u lvl up which sounds great to me.

I cant even imagine how hard will be the hardest end game delves.

About raids, well i played WoW on vanila and BCC and to be honest i quit the game because of raiding.... at some point of the game there wasnt rly much to do :/ Hopefully that wont be the case in neverwinter coz end game wont have raids, Gauntlgrym if im not mistake will be the only 20 vs 20 content in the game so far announced and i think will be a mix of pvp and pve.
  • Options
    archanjo17041985archanjo17041985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    raids are needed everywhere.
    i7 3770k @ 4.0//HD 7950 WF3//16 GB ram Corsair @ 1600//Corsair 120 GB SSD x 2//Hyper Evo 212
  • Options
    vanvulturevanvulture Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Greetings, if raids are implanted in the game i for one would like to see small raid such as 5-20 man raids. I've played wow since the release in 2004 and at the endgame content in the so called ''vanilla'' there was 40-man raids. I remember the frustration over team speak as the officers were trying to guide 40 people to success. Blizzard realized that raids that big is almost impossible for the non-hardcore gamers. Outro: 20 man raids are big enough as long as the content is hard enough. Meaning that everyone has to participate for success, we cant have 1-3 people standing there doing nothing.
    ''Well, just as I suspected... I couldn't see it because it's invisible.''
  • Options
    drakkaar123drakkaar123 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    Dear devs please implement raids...we love them!

Not everyone does lol. In fact, since my WoW days of raiding burned me out on them, I really hate raiding now. It would be easy to say that if someone doesn't like raiding, they don't have to do it, but unfortunately, developers usually tend to make raiding the primary focus of end game, and put little focus into anything else. Which also usually means that you have inferior gear if you chose not to raid too, so I for one won't mind one bit if they don't have raiding. The 5 man content, that I have played in Neverwinter, is quite good and very fun. I really would just prefer that they continue to work on that content.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Not everyone does lol. In fact, since my WoW days of raiding burned me out on them, I really hate raiding now. It would be easy to say that if someone doesn't like raiding, they don't have to do it, but unfortunately, developers usually tend to make raiding the primary focus of end game, and put little focus into anything else. Which also usually means that you have inferior gear if you chose not to raid too, so I for one won't mind one bit if they don't have raiding. The 5 man content, that I have played in Neverwinter, is quite good and very fun. I really would just prefer that they continue to work on that content.
    5 man is ok but not big enough for good Guild content. I like 10 player raid much more then 5 player Dungeons. The day they release 10+ raids I will have a HUGE smile:D.
    vanvulture wrote: »
    Greetings, if raids are implanted in the game i for one would like to see small raid such as 5-20 man raids. I've played wow since the release in 2004 and at the endgame content in the so called ''vanilla'' there was 40-man raids. I remember the frustration over team speak as the officers were trying to guide 40 people to success. Blizzard realized that raids that big is almost impossible for the non-hardcore gamers. Outro: 20 man raids are big enough as long as the content is hard enough. Meaning that everyone has to participate for success, we cant have 1-3 people standing there doing nothing.
    40 people raids are a bit to big raids yeah. Since I have budget gaming laptop I do not wish that big raids. However WOW changed so raids were 10 people or 25 people. 10 people is good enough to make me happy but 25 people raids are also ok in my book.
  • Options
    robopwnrobopwn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It should be interesting to see if the planned raids (ugh) end up hot-joinable and how if at all this will impact their "difficulty".
This discussion has been closed.