test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Minimum Wisdom Cleric - Keeping up with Changing Times for Healers

Comments

• Options
    sendriensendrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    l1zardo1 wrote: »
    Found this today on NW Wiki:

20% Recharge Speed is 1/1.2 ≈ 0.83333 ≈ 17.7% cooldown reduction

Would be interesting to see where the contributor got this information from, and if it's official/reliable: i.e. from the dev team, or from mining the game files.

If it is, then a lot of theorycrafting can start from this one piece of information.
    The world is not beautiful; therefore, it is.
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I didn't do much for theorycrafting last week, but it would be super easy to calculate since it shows your modified cool down time

100% -

Mod
    ---- x 100 = actual % increase. Compare that to your recovery %* in character screen
    Base

* Think its half your recovery = 'cooldown reduction %' , if 100% reduction = half CD time

Could remove all recovery gear and test numbers again to see if its the same.

Of course all the DPS/HPS benefits from Recovery rely on the fight being long enough to get a 2nd cast in :p
  • Options
    sendriensendrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    l1zardo1 wrote: »
    Of course all the DPS/HPS benefits from Recovery rely on the fight being long enough to get a 2nd cast in :p

Well, enemies you can one-shot are not worth theorycrafting over. :)
  • Options
    nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    It does help when you are AoE farming mobs :p But I think crit is more important in that area as a secondary stat.

Definitely rerolling a Tiefling this weekend. Hope to get him up to same level quickly!
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sendrien wrote: »
    On the contrary, damage and healing both suffer from diminishing returns. Even if you achieve 100% critical chance, you have only increased your healing and damage by the critical multiplier.

However, as your cooldown reduction approaches 100%, your healing/minute approaches infinity. Therefore, the only stat that gets more effective at higher levels is recharge rate.

Here's a simple example to demonstrate:

Let's assume a skill that heals for 500 has a recharge time of 20 seconds.

At 0% cooldown reduction, the skill can be used every 20 seconds, or 60/20 = 3 times per minute. Healing/minute = 1500

At 10% cooldown reduction, the skill can be used every 0.9*20 = 18 seconds, or 60/18 = 3.333 times per minute. HPM = 1667

At 25% cooldown reduction, the skill can be used every 0.75*20 = 15 seconds or 60/15 = 4 times per minute. HPM = 2000

At 50% cooldown reduction, the skill can be used every 0.5*20 = 10 seconds, or 60/10 = 6 times per minute. HPM = 3000

At 75% cooldown reduction, the skill can be used every 0.25*20 = 5 seconds, or 60/5 = 12 times per minute. HPM = 6000

At 99% cooldown reduction, the skill can be used every 0.01*20 = 0.2 seconds, or 60/0.2 = 300 times per minute. HPM = 150,000

When combined with Power and Critical Chance as secondary stat focuses on equipment, cooldown reduction becomes extremely potent. And while no one should expect to reach 99% CDR, it proves the point that your gains increase, not diminish, the higher this stat is.

This reveals a misunderstanding of "Cryptic Math." In Cryptic games, numbers like damage, healing, and casting time are multiplied or divided by 1.00 + percentage. In other words, a 25% reduction in recharge rate means the original time is now divided by 1.25 for a result of 80% not 75%. A %100 reduction reduces the original number by 2 (1+1). You can never reduce the recharge time to 0.

All your calculations are off.
  • Options
    iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Great write up. I prefer a more active caster and will most likely lean towards a recovery/crit build.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    iymala wrote: »
    Great write up. I prefer a more active caster and will most likely lean towards a recovery/crit build.

Given the limited scaling of power, I think that is a great decision. :)
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Soothing Light should be mentioned as a healing skill, at least through level 25 it's by far the strongest single target heal.

I think the whole build should revolve around Divinity Channeling. The bonuses are too much to ignore.

To me the Cleric is better named Divine Caster.
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is a good lower level skill. Once you get the hang of dipping into Divinity mode just to buff once spell then flip back to recharge a bit or use encounters for dps, you may think otherwise.

Took me many levels to start playing that style, but would never do anything else now :)
    This reveals a misunderstanding of "Cryptic Math." In Cryptic games, numbers like damage, healing, and casting time are multiplied or divided by 1.00 + percentage. In other words, a 25% reduction in recharge rate means the original time is now divided by 1.25 for a result of 80% not 75%. A %100 reduction reduces the original number by 2 (1+1). You can never reduce the recharge time to 0.

All your calculations are off.

Indeed, that is cooldown reduction. I posted earlier that 0.83333 is the factor between Recovery % and CD reduction % as well. So not 1:1 there either ><
  • Options
    foundermeo1foundermeo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hmm game hasnt been released yet and already people are "meta"
    i was thinking of trying out the cleric this weekend i tried the control wizzard last weekend and i'm a bit split. control wizards getting buffed but cleric looks cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!
  • Options
    prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm on board with the high recharge idea, but I'm not so sure about the Minimum Wisdom part. What are you putting points into when you level up? CHA and INT?

I'll grant that CHA has advantages over WIS, but I'm not sure I'd take INT over WIS. 1% recharge vs. 1% damage + 1.33% healing + 1% control bonus/resist seems like a poor trade. I think taking a 16/16/12/10/10/10 with CHA as primary is what I'm going to do, adding to CHA + WIS every 10 levels.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    One should certainly not completely ignore Wis. With tons of recovery and crit, scaling up your base damage would see higher returns.

I think you can get away with 15 and not nerf your CHA/INT
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hmm game hasnt been released yet and already people are "meta"
    i was thinking of trying out the cleric this weekend i tried the control wizzard last weekend and i'm a bit split. control wizards getting buffed but cleric looks cool

People will theory craft even with the smallest bit of information. ('-')
    36533683.jpg
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How exactly are people experts on classes already for a game that's not even out yet and that few have played extensively?

I am amuse.
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    voqar wrote: »
    How exactly are people experts on classes already for a game that's not even out yet and that few have played extensively?

I am amuse.

There be your answer.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    pineappleghostpineappleghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We actually do have access to burst healing. Our two biggest heals are Astral Shield (Channel Divinity) and Forgemaster's Flame (Channel Divinity). For a majority of the game Forgemaster's Flame has been the only healing skill on my skill bar.
  • Options
    kaias2kaias2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Forgemaster's Flame (Channel Divinity)

^ best heal ever !
  • Options
    wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    LoL, well we may all need to stat for tanky dps with only the occasional heal, if this aggro thing isn't worked out.
  • Options
    pineappleghostpineappleghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wolfsong84 wrote: »
    LoL, well we may all need to stat for tanky dps with only the occasional heal, if this aggro thing isn't worked out.

Not necessarily. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but after running the game with a non-pick up group (I was the only one that wasn't a long time friend of their's) I noticed that's there's an obvious difference between good Guardian Fighters and bad ones. I barely got mobbed when I had Guardian Fighter from the non-pick up group.

But it is much to hard for the general populace. Or maybe once the good PvE skills for threat holding and a PvE build is defined it'll get easier. It may not just be us Clerics. Part of the problem may be on them.
  • Options
    chelviechelvie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So I took the Tiefling character build listed on page one for the stats and specced it more towards the human build also listed on page 1 and I had an absolute blast. I had upwards of around 1600 Recovery with horrible gear at around level 45 and I rarely had to wait on cooldowns. I want to say that last I checked Astral Burst was at 8.7s cooldown.

It was great staying so busy! Prophecy of Doom really added to it with all the action point generation I was getting. It was no problem at all constantly throwing out dailies for the temp hit points (divine armor).

Also though, I was playing with a dedicated group of friends so we had the basics covered for group synergy. A GF, GWF, TR, myself as the cleric, and a PUG for the last spot (most often or not another TR). I feel if we had the 5th as a CW we would have just been unstoppable. It was an absolute blast. I recommend the Minimum Wisdom builds!
  • Options
    iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not necessarily. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but after running the game with a non-pick up group (I was the only one that wasn't a long time friend of their's) I noticed that's there's an obvious difference between good Guardian Fighters and bad ones. I barely got mobbed when I had Guardian Fighter from the non-pick up group.

There is a huge difference in the experience. After my first pug GF... I do not think I will ever willingly repeat the situation unless they are buffed significantly to make up for skill. That is as sad comment... but... it is what it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry for my ignorance, but... what's a pug? :P
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    pick up group (random players normally from a queue)

Not the smushy faced dog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    wolfsong84 wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance, but... what's a pug? :P

It be
    a toy dog with a wrinkly, short-muzzled face and curled tail. Known in ancient China as lo-sze.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pug

However a "PUG" (P.U.G) be an acronym for Pick Up Group. It also be interchangeable with the term "pub" which be an abbreviation for "public".
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    chelvie wrote: »
    So I took the Tiefling character build listed on page one for the stats and specced it more towards the human build also listed on page 1 and I had an absolute blast. I had upwards of around 1600 Recovery with horrible gear at around level 45 and I rarely had to wait on cooldowns. I want to say that last I checked Astral Burst was at 8.7s cooldown.

It was great staying so busy! Prophecy of Doom really added to it with all the action point generation I was getting. It was no problem at all constantly throwing out dailies for the temp hit points (divine armor).

Also though, I was playing with a dedicated group of friends so we had the basics covered for group synergy. A GF, GWF, TR, myself as the cleric, and a PUG for the last spot (most often or not another TR). I feel if we had the 5th as a CW we would have just been unstoppable. It was an absolute blast. I recommend the Minimum Wisdom builds!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Did you or your group find itself needing more heals in BW3, or did you find the healing power of your cleric sufficient for the needs of your group?
  • Options
    chelviechelvie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    With my cleric companion and another out it helped. There was still Oh **** moments of course. As a maintenance healer I just accepted that I wouldn't be able to keep everyone topped off.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

But it is much to hard for the general populace. Or maybe once the good PvE skills for threat holding and a PvE build is defined it'll get easier. It may not just be us Clerics. Part of the problem may be on them.

Indeed. I had huge variances in instance play with parties. That all has to come down to tank, perhaps a second cleric, and dps assisting with the adds (and your safety)

Sure things were bugged with heal threat, was pretty easy to test with tossing a HW on a passerby and getting bumrushed a minute later from half way across the map.

Some people it seems could not play at all last weekend, or so the story is. I just try and help to see where things went wrong, see why their weekend was completely different from mine. The two bugs are a non-issue, since they will not be in the next build. Seems that is a fool's errand though.

I rerolled a Tiefling with Recovery prime, secondary crit then AP once I got the feat for Ar Pen. Has a great time and was able to cycle through my abilities very quickly. Not 15c CD but 11s. Makes all the difference. Gives you 100% Forge uptime too :)
  • Options
    nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Definitely the best scaling stat. Still ended up with 18 Wis though (with campfire buff), after taking all creation/leveling points in Int/Cha.

Never hurts to have that 8% dmg / 10% + heals either ;)
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Kinda odd how the main "cleric" stat is intended to be wisdom, yet due to such lower healing numbers it scaling is too poor for it to be of any real use for raw healing output compare to cool down reduction that is on a different stat. Perhaps they should change the main recommended stat from wisdom to charisma?

From what we are seeing, it is no small gap between the difference of wisdom and charisma too...
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    It be
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pug

However a "PUG" (P.U.G) be an acronym for Pick Up Group. It also be interchangeable with the term "pub" which be an abbreviation for "public".

Merry Christmas!!! :D:D:D

@topic:
    So should the devs tweak the stats to make Wisdom (which is supposed to be the stat every Cleric maxes) more powerful? I imagine it wouldn't be difficult for them to change the scaling by launch. Or does everyone prefer that an Intelligent Cleric is still a viable (even optimal) build?

Also, if anyone has a link to information on what each stat affects, I'd love to see it. I made my Cleric 16 STR 18 WIS 12 CHA for roleplay reasons, but I don't know how that affected my character's mechanical capabilities.
    8.jpg