test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Raiding in Neverwinter

andrdfryandrdfry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So i want to know if anyone has gotten to 50 and started raiding with others. In SWTOR the story and gameplay was really fun but once the raiding started it was boring and filled with so many bugs that it was unplayable. I played WoW since vanilla and have loved the challenge and fun of raiding. I dont want this to be another SWTOR game where raiding wasnt tested and filled with bugs and completely boring with no skill to overcome it.

So has anyone played in some raids yet? How was the difficulty of raiding? Was it easy to get a group to raid? Was the raids fun to play? Anything else you want to talk about as well.
Post edited by andrdfry on

Comments

• Options
    heathenhammer9heathenhammer9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Max level is 60 in Neverwinter, and unfortunately there isn't any end-game content that has been discussed yet. As far as I know there is only 5 man content available, and they haven't said whether they intend to add "raids" or content that allows more than 5 players.
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They did mention that they are talking about raids inhouse so it's in the works.
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dear devs please implement raids...we love them!
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited March 2013
    I never understood the fuss about raids. Personally I always preferred small party content, raids take away from the whole experience since they only say "Your heroes are not awesome enough to take on this lich/dragon/demigod - therefore they need to zerg him".
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I'm with kaiserschmarrn.

Obviously raids haven't been discussed yet but they definitely are considering expanding it to past 5 man raids if they haven't already.

But 21-26723653721 people raids are...well if you like them more power to you but p'tooy!

I'd rather see some epic and challenging 5-20 man content which will be challenging but not button mashing fests like I find in the other "raids" in other games. Really large raids don't make me feel like the beasts are difficult. In most cases it seems like it's just too much HP to handle in a smaller group. :p
  • Options
    silidonssilidons Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Raids are only fun if they are as hard as Vanilla WoW. Raiding isn't fun if 90% of people can do the content because it's so easy.
  • Options
    heathenhammer9heathenhammer9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    This would be an amazing game to have raids in, it's D&D afterall. Some of my favorite P&P games were ones post-level 20. I loved campaigns that were heavy in the planes, taking on epic level monsters, titans, even gods.

Planes of Power in Everquest was probably one of my favorite raiding experiences in MMOs, simply because of the awesome lore behind it all...you were actually fighting/killing the gods. D&D could definitely do something similar.

Fighting something like a Hecatoncheires would be an awesome raid. This, and other creatures in other planes are far beyond the abilities of single players, even a single group of players to handle, but I'd like to see some content for 5-15-20 players.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey All,

I'm not aware of what the specific plans for raids are, but I do know that Neverwinter will definitely have challenging end-game content that will require teamwork and gear that requires a bit of in-game effort to obtain. :)
  • Options
    kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    yes i agree with raids, but not as easy as WoW plz, like EQ1 hard, you know HARD raids, but reward EVERYONE who participated, like in GW2 that would be preferable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    silidons wrote: »
    Raids are only fun if they are as hard as Vanilla WoW. Raiding isn't fun if 90% of people can do the content because it's so easy.
    You do realize that most Vanilla raids were just tank and spank with insane damage spikes at random intervals and major glitches, right? They weren't mechanically hard, just random as hell and simply had huge damage numbers.

Also, raids aren't fun or worth the time investment for developers when only 5% max of the community ever sees them. Which is basically why some games have changed their ways around a bit and made an easier and a hardmode version of the raids. The easy one can be done by the average population, the harder one is for the people wanting as hard a challenge as they can get.

As for the size of raids, I'd say 10-20 should be more than enough. Any more will just be a chore to organize and keep in check, especially since we're all pretty close up to the action with our camera it would also be easy to lose oversight pretty quickly with a lot of players running around.
  • Options
    kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    aye 10-20 man raids with a zomg STO normal and Elite versions of each raid would be preferable, but like i said everyone gets something, hate busting my sack in a fight just to get nothing but air in my hands when its all said and done. Got tired of that in EQ1, WoW and EQ2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    Yes and no, personally I find there is no reason to group in GW2 as there is zero need for a community. I get rewards anyway, no matter what I do. I rather have my guild, and work towards beating the encounters and being able to roll on the loot I can use and have a chance at winning it instead of always getting something. Sure, it takes longer to complete a set of gear. But is this really an issue? I've raided for over 7 years on WoW, and never has this really been much of an issue. You're having a fun night with your friends and people around you, working towards a single goal - Taking down the baddie. The loot is just there as an incentive, a carrot on the stick in a sense. But do we really need to be spoonfed gear for everything we do? Seems a bit odd to shorten the need to go into content that took precious development time.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    doesn't necessarily have to be gear, I've raided since UO and when you fight 1 mob for 4 hours straight and get a big sack of nothing. Thats not much of an incentive, have the raids drop things for everyone like Seals which can be saved up for gear. have the Raid boss have 3 or 4 items (not all purple either) and everyone gets seals or something of that nature.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    WoW has Seals of sorts as well, nowadays. It's a reasonable system. You can get similar, yet slightly weaker gear with them. I sort of didn't include them in my mention because well, dungeons currently drop them. So I was assume raids would be the same.

Also, UO was complete **** in terms of raiding. The time it took to get anything done there was cringeworthy. :[
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    digidag wrote: »
    WoW has Seals of sorts as well, nowadays. It's a reasonable system. You can get similar, yet slightly weaker gear with them. I sort of didn't include them in my mention because well, dungeons currently drop them. So I was assume raids would be the same.

Also, UO was complete **** in terms of raiding. The time it took to get anything done there was cringeworthy. :[

yes i agree raiding in UO was well not a organized as EQ or latter games lol but until everyone figured out how to tame dragons you needed alot of buddies to fight things like Cyclops and Balrog's :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kubasereecokubasereeco Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    digidag wrote: »
    Also, raids aren't fun or worth the time investment for developers when only 5% max of the community ever sees them.

And yet, it was when WoW was like this that it got really popular.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This had multiple causes really. Compared to any other MMO on the market back then, WoW was actually considered easymode. Sure, it was hard compared to the modern version. But compared to Everquest, UO and other competitors of its time WoW was relatively easy to get into and play with your friends. There was somewhat of a learning curve, and there were some difficulties around. But it was pretty straightforward.

Not to mention, who of us didn't play the Warcraft series when we were younger? A lot of us were hyped up over being able to play in that world in a persistent manner, to see with our own eyes and work with our own hands in this world! There was just so much to see and do there that was only mentioned in the other games. It was pretty cool, and this too attracted many people.

I can probably think of more, but it wasn't the raiding that made WoW into the beast it is. It may have contributed, but there are two sides to this coin. Some were attracted to the challenge ahead, most didn't have the time to waste 6 days a week raiding for 5-6 hours straight. It really depends on your point of view.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    honestly i only played WoW cause some of my friends where playing WoW when I finished College, my pre college friends where pretty pissed off that WoW stole Sony's Thunder and basically buried a far superior game of EQ2 in the dirt before it had a chance to take off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ironically, I tried EQ2 at the time and found it far more glitchy and awkward than WoW is. And it still is, the only reason I play EQ2 nowadays is because it's F2P to an extent.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    that was a problem and thats because of how it was designed see remember at the time there where no Dual Core processors so the designers wanted to make it a game with great graphics for 4+ years to come so they thought the processors would just keep getting more powerful like 8 ghz processors where what the game was essentially designed for and when the game was hard launched, not but a few months later Intel released the first Dual Core Processors and the designers must have been thinking oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we're screwed lol. But in terms of Raiding EQ2 raid mobs up until Velious made all WoW raids seem like child's play in comparison especially TSO raids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sunstone2012sunstone2012 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't know what your smoking but WOW raids in mop are pretty hard.. and extremely gear oriented, with the short enrage timers on some of the fights.

anyways.. smaller raids are the way to go, nobody wants to wait around for hours in chat or queue for healer/s or tank/s
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I don't know what your smoking but WOW raids in mop are pretty hard.. and extremely gear oriented, with the short enrage timers on some of the fights.

anyways.. smaller raids are the way to go, nobody wants to wait around for hours in chat or queue for healer/s or tank/s

when the enrage counter for hardcore raids in eq2 is 10 deaths and the mob then becomes unkillable we'll talk when wow ever made it that hard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited March 2013
    silidons wrote: »

Not really cost effective or smart if you put devs to work on mmo content which 90% of the player base will never see.
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013

Wow got more popular post BC than it had ever been, Wotlk was when it had the highest population, More than 5% saw raids then.
    26.jpg
  • Options
    thrynsystthrynsyst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kharnagex wrote: »
    honestly i only played WoW cause some of my friends where playing WoW when I finished College, my pre college friends where pretty pissed off that WoW stole Sony's Thunder and basically buried a far superior game of EQ2 in the dirt before it had a chance to take off.

*THAT* in a sense, was Sony's own doing. Sony's boast, at the time, was that the computer had not been made yet, that would be able to run EQ2 with all the bells and whistles incorporated into it, and this was largely true at that point in time. Graphically, it was absolutely stunning for its time, and required, if not a top end machine, then at least in the upper third of machines available at the time, to even run it at all.

Blizzard took another approach, that of simpler graphics, so that even lower end machines could run it comfortably. In the end, due to circumstances beyond either company's foresight, let alone ability to control, this decision was crucial.

At that particular point in time, internet access was only just beginning to become as prevalent as it is today. These newcomers to the internet looked for a game, and had two choices, EQ2 which required some serious hardware, or WoW, which did not.

The rest, as they say, is history...
  • Options
    koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited March 2013
    No raids! Raids create an elitist environment that reward a very small percentage of the game population.
  • Options
    iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love to see 8-10 man raids added to the game and love the idea of everyone getting rewarded like in GW2. The only caveat being... with gear they could actually benefit from using, unlike GW2.

As far as an "elitest" environment.... this is an MMO... and with multiple people, be it in real life or in a game, not everyone is equal in terms of skill, knowledge or property. Games nor life is fair, but you have the ability to surround yourself with people who you enjoy and ignore the people you do not. The game should not have to restrict content because "elitetism". You are going to find a variety of people in the game you dislike for various reasons and with or without raids there will be elitest players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    karischkarisch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    10 man raiding is something we would love to see in the game :D
    Sarcastic Malevolence
    Recruitment is CLOSED!!
  • Options
    thepiercermeatthepiercermeat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Realms have such a VAST amount of potential raiding content it is amazing. I even had some ideas for some raids that would make me as giddy as I was downing Vox and Naggy for the first time in EQ:

menzo raid - The raid starts entering Menzo for whatever story purpose. The raid would have Umberhulks, Deep Gnomes, and Drow in it. As well you would have to fight many of the spiders which reside. The matron of Banere would be the final boss, and the final phase would be a fight against the Aspect of Lollth. Another boss of it could easily be a resurrected Jaraxle (drizzt's trainer).

Heck, we could even fight Larloch in some sort of raid. SO MUCH POTENTIAL for raiding in this game.
    "Brothers and warriors, my friends from all the edges of the world... LET US JOIN OUR FORCES TO FORM AN ARMY UNITED!" - Marakell Blackhand
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    karisch wrote: »
    10 man raiding is something we would love to see in the game :D

+1

Always loved 10 man content. Still tight enough that everyone needed to be on their game. 25-40 had too many potential negatives...
This discussion has been closed.