test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control Wizard : Name the top 5 things you would like to see changed

Comments

• Options
    pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Personally, I want to be able to move while fighting again. That part sold me on the Control Wizard in the trailer and I really wanted to be able to do it. There is a fair thing to do to make everyone happy with that, is to apply the slow movement from blocking in Champions Online or the shift thing in the PnP while using your At-Wills..
  • Options
    sorwensorwen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys,

Lots of great feedback here! We've been paying a lot of attention to this thread and the general feedback that the Control Wizard does not feel that he lives up to his name. We've decided to go ahead and increase the durations on all of his control powers for the next beta weekend. We've also moved the Shield power to be available at level 20, but that won't be in the next build you guys play. Thanks for the discussion, we really appreciate all of the ideas and feedback!

-Kevin Stocker
    Not to be rude when you are nice enough to come in and tell us, but that only makes a difference if the level up pace is kept close to what it was this last weekend. You slow the leveling pace down and (in theory) he is back where he started. We will have to wait for the "increase" in duration for a final verdict.
    Forever and always forward
  • Options
    txhawktxhawk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    According to the lead developer, the leveling isn't sped up for Beta. What we saw last weekend is close to what they want for live.
    Waiting for paladins...
  • Options
    cappio88cappio88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    1) You have the blink, you deal damage from distance and now you want to cast in movement?

Guys, have you played this beta? This class is so strong that a control wizard can solo 36 boss at 26 level. You can't pretend to have another avoidance tool plus what you do.

2) Multiple class items? Do you really like to fight with team mates for loot? I've finally found a game where i don't have to argue with other for looting items for my class and you appear and ruin everything. Fine!

3) Please, don't make this game look like the sad copy of WoW. Don't adopt their same mechanics, leave fears and charms alone. We love Ray of Frost. It's original! Screw CD bubbles and insta CCs. This gamestyle is good.
  • Options
    cappio88cappio88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    Add some variety to make elemental intereaction make sense with enemies. What's the point in having justs frost spell if you fight against Frost Giants? Add the lightning bolt or the fireball. Mordenkainen spells? Bigby spells? Prismatic wall? Theese are controller spells. Don't forget the Tentacles.
  • Options
    darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. Your powers actually controlling the battle field, forced movement, stunning, dazing, weakening, and for actual reasonable amounts of time. (I read you will be doing this, so awesome.)

2. I would say fire spells, but I have a feeling that will be saved for the war wizard, so instead, I would love implement mastery being used. Maybe not that you chose it, but you get a benefit depending on what type of implement you use. Orbs could increase debuff and buff times by 25% or so. Staffs could grant a permanent +1 or +2 ac. And wands could increase over all damage by 15% or so. But something like what is in the books. Then maybe some feats could alter these abilities. This can increase class diversity.

3. I love the teleportation avoidance, but the recovery time on it is so bad that even when you teleport away you can't even get out one magic missile attack before the enemies are hitting you again. So maybe decreasing the recovery time, or increasing the distance traveled. Or making the travel time shorter.

4. More verbal incantations. In previous DnD editions speaking words of power made your spells go, but in NWO its purely somatic (Physical movement).

5. This goes for more then just the wizard, but animations, combat and idle, that are specific to race, class, and gender combos. Especially for the wizard with the big movements for some spells.

6. Lastly, some visuals that make the magic feel like magic.
  • Options
    mrfunnsocksmrfunnsocks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. Needs more aoe crowd control
    2. Needs more aoe damage
    3. Needs more survivability (ice shield/ rock armor/ arcane shield)
    4. Needs more mobility (moving while attacking... not just teleporting)
    5. Pizza Sandwich

*Note* I do not know the state of the Control Wizard at max level... so my list could be invalid (except #5).
  • Options
    dthehunterdthehunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I want to preface this, that I have yet to play the game. I have however watched dozens of videos and read multiple pages on this topic.

The Control Wizard should be a cerebral character. It should have multiple options for controlling creatures and the environment. This should include individual and mass/crowd control options. Both of these should also carry negative affects in case of creatures like bosses making their "saving throws." These controls should work in unison with other spells creating the illusion that the wizard is in fact controlling combat or the environment. From what I had read/seen this is not the case. I look forward playing the CW regardless of the changes, as I enjoy a healthy challenge.

P.S. The use of massive AOE damage spells are best left to sorcerers, war wizards and warlocks. Give me control of their bodies and minds any day!
    When a prince uses force, he acts like a beast. He must learn to act like two types of beasts: lions and foxes. A fox is defenseless against wolves; a lion is defenseless against traps. Chapter XVIII: of il principe
    BBCmIW9.png
    http://www.zinzerena.com
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    dthehunter wrote: »
    I want to preface this, that I have yet to play the game. I have however watched dozens of videos and read multiple pages on this topic.

The Control Wizard should be a cerebral character. It should have multiple options for controlling creatures and the environment. This should include individual and mass/crowd control options. Both of these should also carry negative affects in case of creatures like bosses making their "saving throws." These controls should work in unison with other spells creating the illusion that the wizard is in fact controlling combat or the environment. From what I had read/seen this is not the case. I look forward playing the CW regardless of the changes, as I enjoy a healthy challenge.

P.S. The use of massive AOE damage spells are best left to sorcerers, war wizards and warlocks. Give me control of their bodies and minds any day!

Indeed when you think of a Control Wizard in D&D you think of Mind Controller or Illusionist. What they brought was instead ice mage from WoW and some time-warp-arcane junk. It's not the controller of RPG, unfortunaly is the MMO controller which only has snares, blinks and blastwave all the time. I really agree with you. The truth is they won't change any of this because they designed it this way ( frost, snares, junks).
  • Options
    dthehunterdthehunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cappio88 wrote: »
    The truth is they won't change any of this because they designed it this way ( frost, snares, junks).

I agreed with everything you said up until that point. I have to believe that "WE" have a voice in the process. We are the beta testers, and we are testing out the functionality of a particular character design (a cornerstone character at that). If it is our combined opinion that the road this character design is on does not test or play well, it is our duty to say something about it. In turn it is the developer's responsibility to at least listen to our suggestions.

Although I must say that I half-heartily believe that you are correct in your assumption. That however does not release me from my own feelings of responsibility to share. I say this merely for the fact that if after launch the Control Wizard sucks, I can at least say I had my objections from the beginning. That in of itself releases my own conscious.
    When a prince uses force, he acts like a beast. He must learn to act like two types of beasts: lions and foxes. A fox is defenseless against wolves; a lion is defenseless against traps. Chapter XVIII: of il principe
    BBCmIW9.png
    http://www.zinzerena.com
  • Options
    deohnoehdeohnoeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. Remove the ball
    2. No "peace fingers"
    3. Fire attacks
    4. Change the magnetically attract weapons attack it does no damage
    5. Beam attack could look cooler
  • Options
    borak2borak2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dthehunter wrote: »
    I agreed with everything you said up until that point. I have to believe that "WE" have a voice in the process. We are the beta testers, and we are testing out the functionality of a particular character design (a cornerstone character at that). If it is our combined opinion that the road this character design is on does not test or play well, it is our duty to say something about it. In turn it is the developer's responsibility to at least listen to our suggestions.

Although I must say that I half-heartily believe that you are correct in your assumption. That however does not release me from my own feelings of responsibility to share. I say this merely for the fact that if after launch the Control Wizard sucks, I can at least say I had my objections from the beginning. That in of itself releases my own conscious.

they already said they were raising the duration of the holds in another thread so they did listen already. It should be in the next beta weekend I think.
  • Options
    wifeaggr0wifeaggr0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1.get rid of MM (keep for Warwiz) animation is too long (needs changing), bring forward chilling cloud, much quicker and AoE on 3rd burst, or give us cloud of daggers
    2.Bring forward icy terrain then conduit of ice.
    3. Give us web
    4. Give us stinking cloud
    5. Give us a meter like the other classes, to spell cast on the fly till it runs out.
  • Options
    paddymaxsonpaddymaxson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited March 2013
    borak2 wrote: »
    Lets see. I would

1: Rework all spells and make him more along the lines of an illusionist. Mind control, hypnotism, sleep, charm etc... If you're going to be a CONTROL wizard then give them control powers
    2: That about sums it up.
    3: If they aren't going to redo the spells then they need to make all control powers that they have last 3-4 seconds longer then they currently do.
    4: Different paragon path. If you're going to have a "frost" mage your whole life, why throw in lightning powers in the paragon levels. Continue with the frost and make them a lot more powerful.
    5: See number 1

The problem is that if all spells are extremely effective control spells then they need to do less damage to be balanced, which means solo play would be a nightmare of very slow damage.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. Ice magic does not do it for me. I'm grinding through the levels until I can make a useful build without ice spells. I wish that were sooner.
    2. I like the idea for verbal components to spells. Our characters grunt and shout when they get hurt, could they speak some arcane words when casting spells?
    3. More iconic DnD spells: Web, Sleep, where are you?
    4. Make my Wizard Robes look like robes.
    5. Familiars. These can't be represented with Companions currently either. Perhaps this could be an alternate to Spell Mastery? Slot your familiar in the Spell Mastery slot and you get a small pet who is out all the time, gives you a buff, and has a minor power of his own.
  • Options
    bloodboltbloodbolt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    elve wrote: »
    1. Increase the time of all the negative effects the wizard can inflict.
    2. Decrease the stacks needed for "frozen" state.
    3. Add some kind of hard CC that would disable the target completely for longer time but would break if the target takes damage.
    4. Soft CC should work on the bosses as well.
    5. Make options to trade Crowd Control for damage(for example if you break frozen target with specific skill he takes additional additional damage but is not frozen anymore).

actually this
    other than that i like the Wizard like it is now dont 180 the class please
    P.S keep the V sign for the characters
  • Options
    doomking70doomking70 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Give the wizard spells from a dnd players handbook??
    Die
  • Options
    doomking70doomking70 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    or just down load DDO "Dungeons and Dragons online" and look at the wizard spells lol they have more 1st lv spells than this whole game . I know its beta but your casters in this game are weak IMO.
    Die
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    1: 80% AoE, aiming is such a bother.
    2: I want fire-spells, I mean, nothing says CC like a pyro to the face, right?
    3: Movement. Floaty combat for the win. It is in all other MMO's out there, why be different?
    4: Useless spells. Mostly so I can fool myself into thinking that I worked out some uber build, and that my particular build has a unike flavour.
    5: Oh, and swords. I am a mage who uses swords. That is not at all like being a sprinter and entering a bob-sleigh contest.

:D

Someone suggested uttering words while using spells. Please imagine 4 hours of fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah, Aaan-nakast,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,fus-ro-dah,

yea, hope you get the picture.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited March 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    2. More crowd control spells, eg. Meteor Swarm, Stinking Cloud, Ice Storm, Earthquake, etc.

I just has to reply to this posting.

Meteor Swarm is a Crowd Control spell?!?!?!?!!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »

If it were to do knockdowns or some similar effect it would be.
  • Options
    deathtrap82deathtrap82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »

I don't know about you, but if there was a swarm of Meteors headed my way, I'd consider myself controlled. :D
  • Options
    morvian3520morvian3520 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1.) I'd like to see it become an actual DnD wizard.

You know, with Mage Armor and Sleep and Color Spray and all the other iconic spells. They are all in the 4e sourcebooks. I don't understand why we ended up with some kind of frost mage thing.

2.) The crab walk thing. I'd rather just walk normally all the time. I'm a wizard, why do I need a combat stance?

3.) More build variety. Make everything worth using. If it's not worth using, why does it exist to begin with?

4.) Armor. It's not robes, it's clothes. Maybe I'm just missing the robes somewhere, but I haven't seen any yet.

5.) Teleport sensitivity. For some reason, it never seems to work for me. Might just be my computer though.
  • Options
    ragnarok1011ragnarok1011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Just one thing... I would like to choose my spells. Never seen 1 wizard or sorcerer in DnD that ever just received all his spells.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    Just one thing... I would like to choose my spells. Never seen 1 wizard or sorcerer in DnD that ever just received all his spells.

You obviously never played 4th edition (which this game is loosely based on). And uh, you do have to choose your spells - it should be quite obvious from the beginning that you will have access to more spells than you will actually be able to slot for combat.
  • Options
    ragnarok1011ragnarok1011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Yes I am aware of that. Not asking to be able to cast what every spell I want when ever I want. I want the option to choose my spells from a list. Every level. I am aware I will only be able to use certain one in combat, I do know 4e. I am not saavy on any game stating to be DnD (even loosely) that will not allow you to make your character your way.
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've only played a Control Wizard to 14th level, but at this point, I think that's about as much CW as I can stomach. In a group it's fine, but this is definitely an Action RPG, and there needs to be a reasonable degree of soloability, and that's rather lacking, IMO.

1. Sleep spell! It's supposed to be a Control Wizard, and the CC is woefully inadequate, IMO. An AoE sleep that breaks on damage would be perfect. (And it's a common D&D spell, at that.)

2. I do like the ice spells. Cold can be a useful control effect, but I feel the CC effects of the spells we get now are just not useful enough. Ray of Frost is pathetic, IMO. It takes a very long time (in combat terms) to have any useful effect, and it's single-target. You can't stand around 10 secs to CC one target when 5 more are rushing to attack you. This game has never presented me with a duel -- it's always a horde. Make the spells useful in the context of the game. Faster-to-effect, longer-lasting CC is needed.

3. A Shield spell would be nice. Mage Armor? Throw me a little survivability here. I'm chugging so many healing potions I should be floating away.

4. Hold Person/Monster? This needs to be a long-duration click-to-cast CC. Single target, of course. No damage, but MUCH longer hold than anything we have so far.

5. Charm Person/Monster? Could be useful for a -Control- Wizard.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    ok So you said you were going to increase control on the CW? right?? So why the F*ck does my double ice attack no longer freeze on hit? Why is the class even HARDER to play now? WTF happened in your build? This is bullcrap that I log into the 3ed beta after "oh we will fix the CW" to an even MORE underpowered toon;

Just a note im level 38, not 17, so don't tell me that soloing this stuff is easy. Its not Inferno impossible but its still difficult.
    Thanks to what seem to either be Nerfs to dmg/control or unchanged parts of spells It feels even WORSE than it was.

Make enemies within 60 yards of the CW move 50% slower, Make Ray of frost hit ALL targets near reticle, make the "ice nova like" spell instantly freeze enemies (and leave them chilled after unfreezing), put the instant freeze from the two ice bolts BACK.

Give me some **** control. When I ask for control I mean the ability to keep 4 enemies from getting close enough to hit me, PERIOD. If I cannot move while casting (which is fine) then I NEED abilities that keep enemies from getting to me, I should not have to chug a pot every pull because 1 thing gets close enough to hit me. FIX IT like you said you would or at LEAST announce that its not going to be fixed until whenever your going to fix it. NOT doing so pisses me off and makes me not want to play this awesome game.
    26.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bismar7 wrote: »
    ok So you said you were going to increase control on the CW? right?? So why the F*ck does my double ice attack no longer freeze on hit? Why is the class even HARDER to play now? WTF happened in your build? This is bullcrap that I log into the 3ed beta after "oh we will fix the CW" to an even MORE underpowered toon;

Just a note im level 38, not 17, so don't tell me that soloing this stuff is easy. Its not Inferno impossible but its still difficult.
    Thanks to what seem to either be Nerfs to dmg/control or unchanged parts of spells It feels even WORSE than it was.

Make enemies within 60 yards of the CW move 50% slower, Make Ray of frost hit ALL targets near reticle, make the "ice nova like" spell instantly freeze enemies (and leave them chilled after unfreezing), put the instant freeze from the two ice bolts BACK.

Give me some **** control. When I ask for control I mean the ability to keep 4 enemies from getting close enough to hit me, PERIOD. If I cannot move while casting (which is fine) then I NEED abilities that keep enemies from getting to me, I should not have to chug a pot every pull because 1 thing gets close enough to hit me. FIX IT like you said you would or at LEAST announce that its not going to be fixed until whenever your going to fix it. NOT doing so pisses me off and makes me not want to play this awesome game.

HA HA... a Control Wiz that cannot Control and a Devout Cleric that cannot heal himself. I see this game going in the right direction.
  • Options
    sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    I am actually quite happy with the CW but here are a few things I'd like to see:

1. A single target high dmg daily arcane spell.
    2. Overall increase in abilities especially at-wills (give us another arcane at-will plz).
    3. Weapon orbs with variety of looks or glow effects etc, Along these lines more armor additions.
    4. More spell combinations with added effects.

Thats all I got for those. I will say this, all of those people complaining that this class doesn't have enough control where exactly are you not seeing this "Control" the CW has? Lvl 23 here and I have stacks and stacks of potions lying around because I don't get hit. I have massive amounts of CC and dmg Slows/Aoes stun/ Single target stun/ Knockbock and freeze. If all my abilities are on cooldown, I still have 3 teleports to use while kiting until cooldowns are up. To top it all off I have a tank companion that takes the aggro of a few mobs as well. The only thing I would agree upon is the fact that chill effect doesn't slow pve mobs enough. So far I have dominated in both pve and pvp. I've played WoW arena 2's 3's for multiple seasons. Was part of a 5 man pvp team in GW2 and have been a major pvper throughout my MMO history. With that said I would in no way shape or form say that CW is as terrible as some of the rants I have read. Does this game suddenly become insanely difficult for CW in the coming levels?? Please explain.
    21.jpg
This discussion has been closed.