test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Control Wizard : Name the top 5 things you would like to see changed

Comments

• popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd like to see Ray of Frost last a bit longer when a mob freezes, NPCs seem to break after like 1 second which doesn't give you time to do anything useful. Maybe up the freeze time to 3 or 4 seconds to make the control utility of the spell actually useful.
  • witchzerowitchzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 49
    edited March 2013
    1) The Control Wizard Class Preview shows the Wizard being to move albeit slowly while casting Magic Missle, I could not get him to move while casting Magic Missle or the equivalent Ice At Will.

2) Chill Strike's stun is very, very short. If it is meant to be more of an interrupt than a CC then I guess its working as intended.

3) Teleporting out of Splats sometimes doesn't negate damage. I don't know if this is a teleport problem or an animation delay...server lag or what, but it happened several times where I would be well out of the area of effect and still catch damage or resisted would pop up. (Last boss in Cloak Tower is a great example of this. )

4) Stacks of Chill have to be able to stack on a Boss. My resolution was a bit high so the icons were small but I didn't see my stacks of Chill stacking on a Boss. They can resist the slow, holds, etc,. but I need the stacks to increase damage.

5) Arcane Mastery need more builders for normal gameplay. I can see it being no problem building AM on a Boss. On normal groups it is a bit long. I can lock down and destroy an entire group with an Ice load out but using an Arcane based load out takes quite a bit of effort to get AM stacked up. Even when I do I can't tell what benefit it has. Entangling Force is still very short with 5 stacks. Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't really tell you how much of a debuff it does with 5 stacks. (Ice is a AoE based Control set and Arcane seems more for Single Target.)
  • sorwensorwen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Spells that...I don't know...actually allow me to control. Seriously all the spell effects need to be reworked. I don't think chilling the Orc's coke is going to make him stop trying to cut my character's head off. The wizard also needs some AOEs even if you do stop one for a whole 5 seconds it does nothing for the outer 3/5/15 that are running past everyone to get to your character.
    Forever and always forward
  • prophetdarkprophetdark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As Follows:

1. Ability to cast Magic missile while moving. If moving slow the amount of missiles we fire.
    2. Change the animations please for moving
    3. Add some REAL area of effect abilities. Or some more interesting DnD centric abiilties.
    4. Up the damage to a more competitive level
    5. I don't really care what element you use as long as you use spells that lend to the character. the current ones do not.

As to the whole idea of dumbing down the wizard.

The argument that the wizard should be left as is because he is difficult to play is rather silly. I use the word silly in a sparingly way.

There is no reason to have a class that is difficult to play on purpose. Classes should be easy to play at a base competency and require
    skill and depth only to excel at. Easy to play but provide the depth needed to properly master.

The wizard as is is easy to play and requires skill not to master but be competitive. Any player playing any class should stand out against all other classes when played by someone who has mastered it vs others who have not.
  • warcraftingwarcrafting Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As a control wizard I do not want to be the same as everyone else.
    Lets select a cw effect when we make our CW.

Lets say there is a frost cw that slows, a lighting cw that stun's and a fire cw that blast/knock down normal mobs, then the boss mobs just take more damage from the control effects going off rather then immune to the effects.

i.e. so I chain lighting the boss while he is not stunned the mobs around him are, giving the tank time to get on the boss and the rest of the group to kill the add's.

Frost Storm would be a 70% slow to everything in the area, and feat's to take it up to 90% Frost Ray would not freeze the boss but add a dot

Fire Ball would do a blast knocking down everything in the area with a boss taking fire damage dot rather then being knocked down.

Three types of control with some good damage effects. I remember another MMO that had fire mages and one of the end boss's was immune to fire damage so we would not take fire mages for that boss boy where they pissed!

Mages are not one trick ponies! They have tons of spells to pick from! Not like Warlocks or Sorcerer with limited spells selection!

Let us change what type of CW we want to play so we can try out all types and pick the one that fits our play style. Let us learn new spells rather then just a clone of everyone else. Maybe as a unity spell I want mass invisibly rather then mass stone skin.

Now I never played 4th edition so maybe they already killed off the 3rd edition mages!

But this is the kind of stuff I would like to see on wizards.

Now if we get war wizards there lighting and fire balls spells wont have a CC effect but a dot or more damage but that's that whole new story!

As for now this CW I played feels more like a Sorcerer or Warlock then a mage.

That's my 2cp.
  • prophetdarkprophetdark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now I never played 4th edition so maybe they already killed off the 3rd edition mages!
    That's my 2cp.

They are still there but not nearly as diverse in ability as they originally were. They are more diverse in game then other classes but other mechanics are in play.
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I didn't play the control wizard past the tutorial this weekend, so I can't offer suggestions. Based solely on observation, I do agree with a lot of the points made in this post though.

I will say this: a knockback effect is great under certain conditions (i.e. cleric is getting mobbed by trash adds during a boss fight, the control wizard sees this and performs some spell with a knock back effect to give the cleric some breathing room). However, putting a knockback effect on too many of a classes abilities is going to really annoy everyone because a lot of times you want trash mobs all clustered in a small location (i.e. so you can AOE them).
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • elimin3elimin3 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. Make the class an actual Control Wizard. Not this Bi-polar Control Wizard/War Wizard hybrid. That has no idea what it wants to be.

2. Lose the Ice. Take a look at the Wizard powers in DnD Essentials. Specifically the Enchantment/Illusion abilities. The Ice mechanic needs to either be dropped or moved to the War Wizard if you MUST use it. Because right now. It sucks. And you've made it clear that the class power is Arcane Mastery/Spell Mastery

3. Where's the AOE! Nearly every Spell in the PhB has an area effect on top of a CONTROL element.

4. Arcane Mastery/Spell Mastery needs to be re-worked. Right now it's not clear how many stacks we have of it. It could stand to be reworked. While I really like the extra Encounter Power. I thought that was the only effect of our tab power for the longest time.

What you need to do with it is rework it to work more like the other characters powers. Have the spells fill the meter, and when full you hit tab, and can use the spell Mastery version of any of your slotted Encounter Powers.

5. Longer Duration on all of the Spell Effects, sure Feats help with that to a degree but freaking Chains of Faith is a better Control Ability then most of the CONTROL Wizards abilities. On top of that you can not make the mobs immune to a core classes fundamental abilities. That just reeks of bad design.

Listen to this man. Stick to the DND!
    "It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously." Peter Ustinov
  • whysp1whysp1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. Use the actual D20 rule set already!
    2. Base player classes seriously lacking: Missing Bards, Sorcerers, Rangers, Druids, Paladins & Barbarians.
    3. More spell variety. Every control wizard has the same spell selection. I realize this is beta, but with 1/10 of the spell grimoire available... I was disappointed.
    4. More weapon variety to classes.
    5. Actual D&D Skill, Level & Feat progression. I can't stress how much actually using the D20 rules for a D&D game can be.
  • warbaby3warbaby3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, but the game will never follow anything resembling the d20 system... if anything, it's a lose adaptation of the 4E rules... and even though these also use a d20 as core die, they are nothing like that actual d20 system.

...if you want d20, then you'll have to a) play DDO or b) wait for Pathfinder Online.
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    whysp1 wrote: »
    1. Use the actual D20 rule set already!
    2. Base player classes seriously lacking: Missing Bards, Sorcerers, Rangers, Druids, Paladins & Barbarians.
    3. More spell variety. Every control wizard has the same spell selection. I realize this is beta, but with 1/10 of the spell grimoire available... I was disappointed.
    4. More weapon variety to classes.
    5. Actual D&D Skill, Level & Feat progression. I can't stress how much actually using the D20 rules for a D&D game can be.

What does any of that have to do with the class? Oh wait only the third point does.
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1: 3 seconds for Ray of Frost ice build up, each chill stack decreasing movement speed by 33% each stack (33%, 66%, 100%/Frozen), and a longer freeze duration. As a Control Wizard, I SHOULD be able to take an enemy out of the fight, making it so the tank has far less to deal with. 4 second would also be acceptable, with 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%/Freeze.

2: That goofy spycrab animation. Have him wield the orb in one hand, and cast spells with the other, using the orb with his expanded/Spell Mastery abilities. That way he can fire shots from his two fingers like an arcane pistol for magic missle, or swing it around, flicking blasts of arcane energy at his foes.

3: More AOE effects with longer debuffs. This class is supposed to be AOE debuff, not a Striker.

4: An ability that lets you literally teleport or pull enemies to a certain area. That way you can set them up vs. a charging Great Weapon Fighter, dropping them right on him just as he finishes charge, wiping them out with one swing. Most of my abilities SCATTER enemies, and this isn't good for tanks that want to hold aggro.

5: More spells from different elements. Ice is nice, but wouldn't Earth and Wind also have effects that we could want? Churning the Earth to slow enemies down, or lock them down? Wind to throw them away, or pull them in with a tornado? Lightning to stun? Fire to mass burn or set an entire field on fire.
  • gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    thecain wrote: »
    1: 3 seconds for Ray of Frost ice build up, each chill stack decreasing movement speed by 33% each stack (33%, 66%, 100%/Frozen), and a longer freeze duration. As a Control Wizard, I SHOULD be able to take an enemy out of the fight, making it so the tank has far less to deal with. 4 second would also be acceptable, with 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%/Freeze.

2: That goofy spycrab animation. Have him wield the orb in one hand, and cast spells with the other, using the orb with his expanded/Spell Mastery abilities. That way he can fire shots from his two fingers like an arcane pistol for magic missle, or swing it around, flicking blasts of arcane energy at his foes.

3: More AOE effects with longer debuffs. This class is supposed to be AOE debuff, not a Striker.

4: An ability that lets you literally teleport or pull enemies to a certain area. That way you can set them up vs. a charging Great Weapon Fighter, dropping them right on him just as he finishes charge, wiping them out with one swing. Most of my abilities SCATTER enemies, and this isn't good for tanks that want to hold aggro.

5: More spells from different elements. Ice is nice, but wouldn't Earth and Wind also have effects that we could want? Churning the Earth to slow enemies down, or lock them down? Wind to throw them away, or pull them in with a tornado? Lightning to stun? Fire to mass burn or set an entire field on fire.

I would love to see different elements or trees that you can follow. As much as I hate how they are limiting your skills, I would take a skill tree system at this point. I hate being copies of the same class over and over again at max level. Being stuck with seeing and using the same spells over and over again for months.
    I don't play more than one toon on a video game ever. I play one and stick with that toon throughout my life of the game. Seeing the same spells and using the same rotation gets very tedious.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • angryweirdoangryweirdo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 117 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    1. more skills
    2. more skill slots

Thats it
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I'm actually fine with the number of skill slots. Hell I'm of the opinion they re-design how the arcane/spell mastery system works. Have the Mastery stacks fill a meter like the other classes then when it's full you hit tab to use the spell mastery version of your three slotted encounter powers.

Sure you lose a spell but gain a ton of flexibility.
  • crucial991199crucial991199 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys,

Lots of great feedback here! We've been paying a lot of attention to this thread and the general feedback that the Control Wizard does not feel that he lives up to his name. We've decided to go ahead and increase the durations on all of his control powers for the next beta weekend. We've also moved the Shield power to be available at level 20, but that won't be in the next build you guys play. Thanks for the discussion, we really appreciate all of the ideas and feedback!

-Kevin Stocker
  • deadmanswrathdeadmanswrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited March 2013
    kohlfrog wrote: »
    There is only one thing I would like to see changed.
    As it stands right now, I love the control wizard. You have to THINK, to be good at it. That makes it fun. Please don't dumb it down so we can stand there and throw out random AoE's. How the general skills work now is PERFECT.

You are absolutely correct and I agree completely with this.
    kohlfrog wrote: »
    I would change effects on bosses. There are a few select mobs, and major bosses, that are Resistant to our effects. I understand the point of resistance, HOWEVER, because we only have a couple effects, when you make mobs resistant it leaves us with no options. If we could convert to an alternate strategy for the encounter, I wouldn't have this listed as a problem. But with what we've got right now, resistance in mobs is a major issue.

Has no one who is testing this game ever touched PnP 4th edition? Elite/Solo mobs (bosses) have a wide variety of resists and immunities. Just because something is immune to your effects, doesn't mean that you get alternate effects. There are spells and abilities in 4th that give "miss" effects, meaning on a miss it still either does a control effect or reduced damage or something much weaker than the original effect.
    DeadmanSignature_zps3be0fb9a.jpg
    "Death is but a prelude to the true darkness that awaits you!" - Deadman
    HONOR - ABOVE - ALL - ELSE
    OVERLORD
    BARON QUANTUMN
    VICE OVERLORD
    KNIGHT DEADMAN
    VICE HERALD
    SOLDIER BEE KALIAA
  • uxigaduruxigadur Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I haven't played enough this class so misstakes can be here... But:

1. A AOE Control spell. Doesn't have to be too much powerful, but with some slow effect.
    2. Change the animations. The stance in combat and the idle one are strange.
    3. Let me shot while moving. Make the caster 50% slower, but let me move.
    4. I am not so sure i need large duration on spells, i felt like a shorter cooldown would have saved my skin many times.
    5. Give me more fancy effects, make my character feel the magic!
  • daed76daed76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    seems like they need more arcane spells and less ice spells. or just more arcane spells to balance out the ice spells.
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys,

Lots of great feedback here! We've been paying a lot of attention to this thread and the general feedback that the Control Wizard does not feel that he lives up to his name. We've decided to go ahead and increase the durations on all of his control powers for the next beta weekend. We've also moved the Shield power to be available at level 20, but that won't be in the next build you guys play. Thanks for the discussion, we really appreciate all of the ideas and feedback!

-Kevin Stocker

Awesome! Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • screwysqrlscrewysqrl Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    VARIETY!

wider selection of spell types (Fire, acid, force, lightning, sonic).

Staff and Wand ad Tome wizards!
    edited March 2013
    Less Ice Spells period. I kinda like glacial strike. That's it. The ice mechanic just isn't interesting.
  • darkenedeye1fdarkenedeye1f Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. Increased spell options - such as choices for powers rather than pre-selected powers. e.g. color spray, thunder wave, etc.
    2. AoE control spells.
    3. Improved slows (so they have some effect)
    4. Allow very slow movement when casting
    5. More weapon and armour options and less class restricted items (it will be crazy when more classes are added if it stays like this)
  • gamehobogamehobo Member Posts: 2,003 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Put the work back into Champions Online controller class where it belongs!

#TelepathyNow
  • presilkpresilk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Was excited to see a PW respond. sad to see thou that there wasn't feedback on being allowed to slightly move during at will casting. I so so prefer the look of the previous gameplay.
    edited March 2013
    I don't get why this is an issue. There's nothing stopping you from moving once you've attacked. It's only while your attacking that your committed.
  • tdudefacetdudeface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    presilk wrote: »
    Was excited to see a PW respond. sad to see thou that there wasn't feedback on being allowed to slightly move during at will casting. I so so prefer the look of the previous gameplay.

Every class and mob stops to cast spells and attack. It's an overall design of the game and intentional. I think it will rarely be broken, and I seriously doubt it will ever be broken for any At-Will attacks.
  • gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys,

-Kevin Stocker

Let's pray you guys change the stance of the Control Wizard And rethink this orb thing.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • presilkpresilk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Was after that more fluid action feel like in this preview.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNMqSWF1aU
    Being a squishy class, being able to reposition myself within dungeons I felt would have improved the experience. Once we move and stop our casting, shortens the time where they'll be swarming all over me full of health.
    The rogue class can benefit with slight movement with the feeling of keeping position behind the mobs.

Since I only had time to play the wiz this beta weekend, did I see in a video the guardian can reposition themselves when they're blocking?
  • sand1972sand1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys,

-Kevin Stocker

YEAH! Great news and way to listen and respond to the community.
    5. More weapon and armour options and less class restricted items (it will be crazy when more classes are added if it stays like this)
    Very good point! Once we get up to ten or so classes all those class restricted items is going to make finding gear for yourself tough work. But it would increase trading and party cooperation!
This discussion has been closed.