Rogues r not thieves (thieves suck)

2»

Comments

• thelickingtoadthelickingtoad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    4E DM since 2008 here.

Second Edition: The Thief was a class.
    Third Edition: Thief renamed to Rogue.
    Fourth Edition: Rogue remains class name. Trickster rogue is one build of the class.
    4E Essentials: A new subclass of rogue named "Thief" is released. It's quite fun to play.

OP is partially correct: A Thief is a Rogue, but a Rogue is not necessarily a Thief. However, any class can be a thief; it all depends on what you do.

RE: Thievery: This is a fairly broad skill that covers more than stealing things. It covers disabling and setting of traps, for instance. It also covers palming objects that may or may not be stolen, like hiding something small on one's person.
  • talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    U know the more I read the title of this thread I put up the more I realize the interest people have in it, but..... I didnt so much call this thread what I did cause I was trying to start some (what rogues really r) conversation, but was more trying to make the point that I myself do not want to be called a thief in a game that I play. For the simple fact that a thief irl is not good. The reason I play a rogue in mmos is because I irl do not have brute strength, but I am pretty fast, sneaky and acrobatic. ie Black belt in akido, and mid to low range belts in Thai kick boxing, russian somba, Okinawan shorin-ryu, and shuri-ryu, with a little boxing also. All that sounds good but of course now I am half bald and 33 years old and do not train in fighting any more, hence the reason for wanting to RP a rogue LOL. And I really just dont like the idea of being called a thief. Thats my whole point in this thread LOL. Some people RP a character in a game, but I want my RP character to describe me as much as possible, or atleast my approach on what kind of role I think I would b best at, fighting for peace. And I certainly do not want to b known as a thief. Oh yeah I like the Harry Potter comment, thats too funny.=) Rogue reporting for duty.
  • voidwatcherxvoidwatcherx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    U know the more I read the title of this thread I put up the more I realize the interest people have in it, but..... I didnt so much call this thread what I did cause I was trying to start some (what rogues really r) conversation, but was more trying to make the point that I myself do not want to be called a thief in a game that I play. For the simple fact that a thief irl is not good. The reason I play a rogue in mmos is because I irl do not have brute strength, but I am pretty fast, sneaky and acrobatic. ie Black belt in akido, and mid to low range belts in Thai kick boxing, russian somba, Okinawan shorin-ryu, and shuri-ryu, with a little boxing also. All that sounds good but of course now I am half bald and 33 years old and do not train in fighting any more, hence the reason for wanting to RP a rogue LOL. And I really just dont like the idea of being called a thief. Thats my whole point in this thread LOL. Some people RP a character in a game, but I want my RP character to describe me as much as possible, or atleast my approach on what kind of role I think I would b best at, fighting for peace. And I certainly do not want to b known as a thief. Oh yeah I like the Harry Potter comment, thats too funny.=) Rogue reporting for duty.

Make your character into what YOU want him to be. That's the entire point of an RPG. No idea why comparing a thief from real life to thieves in a fantasy setting has any bearing on what you believe a rogue to be.
    dakasig.png

• wergonsmithwergonsmith Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am stoked to play the Trickster Thief.

Say that coin purse looks to have some heft to it. :D

I hope I can pick pocket in town. :D
  • honzohonzo Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "Mystery, silence, shadows. These are my tools."

"What is locked can be opened, what is hidden can be found, what is yours can be mine"

- Garret - Thief

Thieves suck? OP my friend... You shall die in silence..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjJSxlh4JLc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It only takes one candle to light a fire, and then the darkness is gone."
  • talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Honzo Im not so sure where u r going with your post, maybe u can elaborate a little more. Im not so sure u read my other posts about why I said thieves suck. That comment is more of a comment of morality irl, and at 1 time in my life many years ago I was a thief, and learning the error of my ways, I changed. So I guess what I am saying is I dont want to b refered to as a thief any more irl, or in a game. Just dont like the way it sounds, which is why I like the idea that C has called this class a trickster rogue, unlike guild wars 2 calling there rogue a thief. I think I said it in another post on this thread, but to me... some 1 that takes a weapon from there enemy(ie GW2) and uses it against them is not called a thief in my book, they r called smart. Any way I hope I have helped my reason for saying what I did make a little more sense to u, and of course, I wish peace to my brother rogue...
  • korbanhodkorbanhod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited March 2013
    Honzo is a poor troller. Even so, even worse at being an a**
  • voidwatcherxvoidwatcherx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    korbanhod wrote: »
    Honzo is a poor troller. Even so, even worse at being an a**

Shame that you have to behave this way. I'd suggest you'd reconsider your course of action. Honzo was far from being a troll.
    dakasig.png

• tanvertanver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think this forum is intended for all forms of thieves they will make even in the future. Since the Fighters have a forum together with one another.
    20.jpg
    SOLA_Signature_zpsce14d8b8.gif
    edited March 2013
    My point in the conversations in this thread is not to change any 1s view on a rogue, but more of way of finding others who agree with me. But if u dont feel free to put down your reasons for thinking the way u do. U know its funny a friend of mine 1 time gave me a good lesson in Angled Perspective. He held up a bottle of coke, and faced the front label to me, and the ingredient side to him. Now he said to tell him what I saw from, my angle mind u. So I said I saw the coke emblem and the white swoosh underneath it, and the few other things on the front of the label. He then said to me "I dont see that, I see an ingredients list, and how many calories and so on the drink has in it." And of course I agreed with him. But he said to me "You cant agree with me cause I want u to tell me only what u see from your perspective." And I laughed of course, and said "ok." So he asked again if I saw what he told me he saw, and of course the answer was, "No." Cause from my perspective there was only a coke emblem and a white swoosh under the emblem. So he said to me, "Do u see now how 2 people can b talking about the same thing, and even looking at the same thing, and get in an argument about it?" He then said "Its kind of foolish isnt it." And of course I agreed with his wisdom, and was enlightened. So he siad to me, "When u r talking with some 1 about the same thing there is no point in arguing with the other person, cause u could be looking at the same thing from a different perspective"....
    edited March 2013
    My point in the conversations in this thread is not to change any 1s view on a rogue, but more of way of finding others who agree with me. But if u dont feel free to put down your reasons for thinking the way u do. U know its funny a friend of mine 1 time gave me a good lesson in Angled Perspective. He held up a bottle of coke, and faced the front label to me, and the ingredient side to him. Now he said to tell him what I saw from, my angle mind u. So I said I saw the coke emblem and the white swoosh underneath it, and the few other things on the front of the label. He then said to me "I dont see that, I see an ingredients list, and how many calories and so on the drink has in it." And of course I agreed with him. But he said to me "You cant agree with me cause I want u to tell me only what u see from your perspective." And I laughed of course, and said "ok." So he asked again if I saw what he told me he saw, and of course the answer was, "No." Cause from my perspective there was only a coke emblem and a white swoosh under the emblem. So he said to me, "Do u see now how 2 people can b talking about the same thing, and even looking at the same thing, and get in an argument about it?" He then said "Its kind of foolish isnt it." And of course I agreed with his wisdom, and was enlightened. So he siad to me, "When u r talking with some 1 about the same thing there is no point in arguing with the other person, cause u could be looking at the same thing from a different perspective"....

Perhaps I am just starting to get old but I really cannot read anything like this when there is barely any structure to a text. Please use some paragraphs there!
    dakasig.png

• darknessofreikazdarknessofreikaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Alright to clear up the contreversy... The title for the acrobatic/stealth theif class was altered to be named Rogue after the game called Rogue. In it you where a stealthy thief. This is when it became popular for all theif/stealth/assassin classes to be dropped directly into the name as a Rogue class. Screw your wikipedia knowledge or yourdictionary references. This is a D&D game and in D&D its labeled a rogue class. It doesnt matter what the other defenitions are.
  • darknessofreikazdarknessofreikaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wow your really going to harp on the Honor amongst thieves saying? Here let me fill you in. The saying refers to the unwritten law between thieves that my steal is my steal and yours is yours. You dont steal from a fellow Thief. This is a rule basically coming from the core rules of the guild of thieves. Where as you would not steal from guild members. I also did some research just to make sure i didnt mess anythign up so here you go.

Teams of people can accomplish more than individuals in great undertakings. A team of thieves can be organized. A command structure makes coordination flow more smoothly. Customs, mores and rules evolve. Thieves steal. It is good to steal if you are a thief. It is not good to disrupt the team..the group...the family by stealing from each other. "We must be able to trust each other in order to be maximally effective."

The rule becomes "we must treat the insiders, the other thieves with honor." The meaning of "honor among thieves" is the idea that lying thieving <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> can trust each other.
    Teams of people can accomplish more than individuals in great undertakings. A team of thieves can be organized. A command structure makes coordination flow more smoothly. Customs, mores and rules evolve. Thieves steal. It is good to steal if you are a thief. It is not good to disrupt the team..the group...the family by stealing from each other. "We must be able to trust each other in order to be maximally effective."

The rule becomes "we must treat the insiders, the other thieves with honor." The meaning of "honor among thieves" is the idea that lying thieving <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> can trust each other.