test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Drow Anxiety Thread (Read OP for Details)

xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This thread will serve as venting thread about the Drow Race and the decision to with-hold normal drow for 60 days after release.

Feel free to vent, as long as it is not vulgar or otherwise rule-violating, your anticipations and frustrations about the Drow Race. We will be a little more relaxed on the the Rules of Conduct here in this thread, in particular we will allow "Memes and Images" as long as they pertain to "The Topic" or "Drow Race" in some way shape or form and are not other-wise Rule violating.

Specifically, the following Rule will be less strictly enforced, as well as my note about "Memes and Images" above:
Keep posts on-topic.
Keep the topic in mind when you post. Refrain from posting irrelevant information. Off topic posts may be edited, moved, or removed as needed.

Thanks,
Zebular, PWE Community Moderator

Original Post:

I like the drow. I find them to be an interesting race, but no more so then any other race in D&D. Exept for of course haflings. I love those little guys. Though there is a problem with drow, it tends to be the primary race for some. This is why it was a pretty bad choice to announce the 60 day delay. Though it may have been a good business choice, now everybody has to sift threw countless threads and posts of people complaining about the drow.

I have two solutions that may improve every bodies forum experience.

1: Make a "Drow anxiety thread" and remove all new threads that deal with the 60 day drow delay.

2: Delay dwarfs instead. They are a far more stoic race. *High fives dwarf lovers*
Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
Post edited by xearrik on

Comments

• babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nothing like withholding something as a way to make it seem better. Especially when the kinds of people who would naturally be drawn to it are drama queens by nature. It's actually quite a delight :)
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • trolltroll Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    babylon wrote: »
    Nothing like withholding something as a way to make it seem better. Especially when the kinds of people who would naturally be drawn to it are drama queens by nature. It's actually quite a delight :)

You know I agree.
  • civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited March 2013
    Nah, if you delay dwarves then you would have a bunch of angry drunks running around with axes. I would be with them.
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    2: Delay dwarfs instead. They are a far more stoic race. *High fives dwarf lovers*

968136.jpg

You've just made this dwarf very unhappy. LOOKOUT!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ocrambosocrambos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Posting in a now epic thread thanks to above poster.
  • kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

/me reaches for another heavy mug of ale. Sure we are. We drowned our emotions, they only get in the way in battle anyways.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would think Cryptic would be worried about all the Emo types cutting themselves, or even worse, posting bad poetry on their blogs.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! bwhahahahahah!
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Tieflings are the real emo race. Just check the name suggestions in the PHB.:p
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I brought the popcorn!! Who brought the beer?
  • mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Delay dwarfs instead.
    Great now we need a dwarf anxiety thread.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mok33 wrote: »
    Great now we need a dwarf anxiety thread.

Dwarfs don't get anxious, they get drunk. Hammered even.
  • elluricelluric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Did somebody say Hammered?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • martyanyamartyanya Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is a great thread...Drow WERE cool for me when the very first Drizzt books came out...but then I got over saturated with the whole thing and quickly realized they weren't any better than any other worthless elves...

As for delaying Dwarfs...that would suck...but you're right about the differance. Dwarf players could wait 'cause we're naturally more mature...I mean whats the point in crying over spilt beer...oh wait...I guess thats the ONLY thing worth crying over...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    1: Make a "Drow anxiety thread" and remove all new threads that deal with the 60 day drow delay.

Mod Note:
    Done! Did a bit or re-working of the OP for this, as even though we may be a little lax on comments, an OP should remain vigilant with the Rules when possible.

Some food for thought about Drow:

Forgotten Realms' "Drow" are not "Dark Elves." They are the cursed evolution of the the Dark Elves from the Ilythiir and Miyeritar elven nations. They were then known as "Ssri-tel-quessir" in elven.

The Drow often have obsidian black skin with undertones of blues and purples which can also go as light as a dark-ashy black skin tone as well. Their hair ranges from pure white to a sickly yellow. Yellowing in the hair and eyes usually denotes either illness, poison, or venerable age. Their eyes can vary greatly with the most common being reds and purples. Greens and Blues are not uncommon - however Underdark drow born with these two colors are usually sacrificed to Lolth as they are considered to either be tainted by "goodness" or by "surface" elven blood. This is why these eye colors are seemingly rare in the Underdark but not on the Surface. All drow, regardless of eye color, when they get angry their eyes will begin to glow redder and redder.

Dark Elves, thanks to Eilistrasee's sacrifice, have returned however. Eilistrasee sacrificed herself and Corellon lifted the curse on all faithful Drow, which was about 20% of the Drow population of Toril. So, in essence, there are now two types of Dark Elves, the Dark Elves who are no longer cursed by Corellon and the Drow.

The Dark Elves of other Campaigns, such as Dragonlance and Greyhawk, are nothing like the Realms' drow. Not in power and not in appearance. Its been officially stated in some resources that the only way for "Drow" to get to these other Campaigns is by planar travel, magics, or through Spelljamming. "Drow" are native to the Forgotten Realms, where-as the "Dark Elves" exist wherever Corellon and the Seldarine have reach.

Eberron however.. I don't know how their drow got there... I don't care to keep up to date with Eberron because I loathe that setting.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I would have no issues if this wasn't done in a back handed sort of way. As far back as I remember the Drow were a playable race at game launch and now the decision to hold it up for 60 days to give HotN founders more incentive is an awful PR move. It would be in the interest of the company (IMO) to go back on to the original launch and add in another incentive to the $200 pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • tazrakunetazrakune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited March 2013
    New races get added in an expansion for MMOs every year and players still go through with re-rolling new characters.
    JerroldNeverwintersig_zps8ecd4397.jpg
  • argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zebular wrote: »

The Dark Elves of other Campaigns, such as Dragonlance and Greyhawk, are nothing like the Realms' drow. Not in power and not in appearance. Its been officially stated in some resources that the only way for "Drow" to get to these other Campaigns is by planar travel, magics, or through Spelljamming. "Drow" are native to the Forgotten Realms, where-as the "Dark Elves" exist wherever Corellon and the Seldarine have reach.

Eberron however.. I don't know how their drow got there... I don't care to keep up to date with Eberron because I loathe that setting.

Artifact of Evil by Gary Gygax was the first appearance of drow in a novel, and was set in Greyhawk :p

Totally in agreement with regards to Ebberon.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    argoylet wrote: »
    Artifact of Evil by Gary Gygax was the first appearance of drow in a novel, and was set in Greyhawk :p

Totally in agreement with regards to Ebberon.
    Ah yes, I forgot about that. I think that was nixed though when Ed Greenwood rewrote the elven lore for now all you see in relation to them in other campaigns is either as Dark Elves nothing like FR Drow, or as having come from the Realms.
  • wagnbatwagnbat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Dark Elves, thanks to Eilistrasee's sacrifice, have returned however. Eilistrasee sacrificed herself and Corellon lifted the curse on all faithful Drow, which was about 20% of the Drow population of Toril. So, in essence, there are now two types of Dark Elves, the Dark Elves who are no longer cursed by Corellon and the Drow.

Kind of like, those who are founders and those who waited 60 days. :D
  • orangegoblin1982orangegoblin1982 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't see what is wrong with granting early access to certain game features based on payment.

I personally think it would be a good business model to have both races and classes that players need to purchase via the game shop. This is how the pen and paper version makes money (people by extra books with extra races and class options).

As long as classes and races offered in the basic version of the game are "as good as" the races and classes you can buy as extras this is not pay to win.

Variety is the spice of life and selling extra character options is the staple of any pen and paper RPG.
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Epic! Zeb edited my thread and made it awesome ^^
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • rakqrakq Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tazrakune wrote: »
    New races get added in an expansion for MMOs every year and players still go through with re-rolling new characters.

glad to see your ok with a transparent attempt at generating more sales, by holding back something that was promised at launch. I've read the content of that package...and well, there's enough in there to let the egos tell themselves they are special. However witholding a basic race. I for one, will not wait 2mos beyond everyone else to play this game. The elder scrolls will be my playpen by that time. It's just too bad really, I as well as other were looking forward to this game. To be punished by a 2mos gap, just so others can feel extra special, isn't even comprehendable. Glad i didn't waste my money, or I'd definately be demanding it back... good luck to those of you who feel this is acceptable.

To put it concisely, so simpler minds can conprehend. your forcing everyone who wanted to play a drow, to either A) pay $200 or b) play another race. giving everyone in the first wave leveling curve a 2mos head start on ANY end game content, pvp or pve generated, and you still want to say it's not pay to win ?
    Lil Alurl Velve Zhah Lil Velkyn Uss - The Best Knife is the Unseen one.
  • chaoticwheechaoticwhee Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2013
    Eh, I didn't really plan to play drow anyways. I lost my realms virginity to Drizzt (The Crystal Shard about 3-4 years ago), so I consider him kinda sacred. I wouldn't want to deface his image by contributing to the inevitable wave of Drizzt knockoff characters! :)

To sum it up, I'm fairly indifferent about the drow delay. Maybe by the time they're playable I'll have come up with a good character story for a drow.
  • neyarineyari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My only issue is I had purchased the founders pack in anticipation of such a move, only to learn that If I don't shell out another hundred or so I have to wait an entire two months to play a race I was looking forward too.

A week, sure, two weeks, fine, but two months? Seriously? I can understand not wanting this game to turn into world of drowcraft, but this is a bit overkill and won't stop it from happening once its released anyway.

My current solution is simple really. Its to stop supporting games that pander to a microscopic portion of their community. I can't expect a refund for my purchase, nor would I want one, but as far as investing anything further into this game, its unlikely to happen now.

On Drow exclusivity.
    Only Heroes of the North will receive exclusive access to the

MENZOBERRANZAN RENEGADE
    How do you misunderstand this, how do you think at any point that it encompasses the entire drow race?
    It was clear on the hero pack that you would only have the Menezobananarans as an exclusive race.
    Not the drow as a whole.
    That being said, between the buyers remorse laden people freaking out trying to find a way out and cryptic seemingly looking for a way to promote sales of their 200 dollar pack we ended up with their bad idea of a compromise.

Kinda a swift kick in the gaming gonads for something that seemed so nice and ideal for a new MMO IP at launch.
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You already know how I feel about it. I've posted a lot about it, even posted an idea I had to try to please both parties. Frankly, the entire drama made me pull away from the community, and killed a lot of the "magic" that I felt the game had beforehand (which is funny, this weekend is Controller Wizard). Between the Company and Community... eh. This game is looking a lot worse in my view.