test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Greatest Speaches: Who Am I?

aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Off Topic
"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

"Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn't consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I'm lucky. Who wouldn't consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that's something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies - that's something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter - that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body - it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed - that's the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
Post edited by aandrethegiant on

Comments

• Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    By any chance would you have been the "luckiest man on the face of the earth" Lou Gehrig?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Indeed!

Happy 109th Birthday Henry Louis Gehrig. (June 19, 1903 - June 2, 1941) earned his nickname "The Iron Horse."

http://youtu.be/NkV5-49JnNk

The Yankees retired Gehrig's uniform number "4", making him the first player in Major League Baseball history to be accorded that honor. Gehrig was given many gifts, commemorative plaques, and trophies. Some came from VIPs; others came from the stadium's groundskeepers and janitorial staff. Footage of the ceremonies shows Gehrig being handed various gifts, and immediately setting them down on the ground, because he no longer had the arm strength to hold them. The Yankees gave him a silver trophy with their signatures engraved on it. Inscribed on the front was a special poem written by The New York Times writer John Kieran. The trophy cost only about $5, but it became one of Gehrig's most prized possessions. It is currently on display at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/1937_all_stars_crop_FINAL2.jpg/1020px-1937_all_stars_crop_FINAL2.jpg

Seven of the greatest hitters of all time standing proud before the 1937 All-Star game, from left to right Lou Gehrig, Joe Cronin, Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio, Charlie Gehringer, Jimmie Foxx and Hank Greenberg. All seven would eventually be elected to the Hall of Fame.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    doublepost

• Options
    edited June 2012
    "This is the legend of _____________,
    The most beautiful fighter in the world today.
    He talks a great deal, and brags indeed-y,
    of a muscular punch that's incredibly speed-y.
    The fistic world was dull and weary,
    But with a champ like Liston, things had to be dreary.
    Then someone with color and someone with dash,
    Brought fight fans are runnin' with Cash.
    This brash young boxer is something to see
    And the heavyweight championship is his des-tin-y.
    This kid fights great; he's got speed and endurance,
    But if you sign to fight him, increase your insurance.
    This kid's got a left; this kid's got a right,
    If he hit you once, you're asleep for the night.
    And as you lie on the floor while the ref counts ten,
    You'll pray that you won't have to fight me again.
    For I am the man this poem's about,
    The next champ of the world, there isn't a doubt.
    This I predict and I know the score,
    I'll be champ of the world in '64.

When I say three, they'll go in the third.
    So don't bet against me, I'm a man of my word.
    I am the man this poem's about,
    I'll be champ of the world, there isn't a doubt.
    Here I predict Mr. Liston's dismemberment,
    I'll hit him so hard; he'll wonder where October and November went.
    When I say two, there's never a third,
    Standin against me is completely absurd.
    When [ I ] say a mouse can outrun a horse,
    Don't ask how; put your money where your mouse is!
    I AM THE GREATEST!"

• Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    No question it has to be Cassius Clay now known as Muhammad Ali. One of the greatest boxers that is and ever was. Parkinsons robbed one of the greatest fighters and minds of his full potential.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Don't know if it qualifies as a speech, probably not greatest for some, but I always liked it:
    It ain't over till it's over
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    muhammed-ali-and-howard-cosell-everett.jpg
    Muhammad%20AliAP740917094-thumb-400xauto-4729.jpg
    Elvis-Presley-and-Muhammad-Ali.jpg

http://youtu.be/X6xb-lejyRk

One of my favorite bits of television ever was The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast with Muhammad Ali.

Here's the entire show... If nothing else seek out Billy Crystal's now legendary imitation of Howard Cosell and Ali.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Don't know if it qualifies as a speech, probably not greatest for some, but I always liked it:

http://www.achievement.org/achievers/ber0/large/ber0-007.jpg

Ahhhh, I know the origins of that one! Of course it counts! It is generally credited to the Hall of Fame baseball player and manager Yogi Berra, who is perhaps known more at this point in time for his legendary oxymoron sayings rather than his baseball accomplishments during the 1940's - 1980's.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
    "It's like deja vu all over again."
    "When you get to a fork in the road, take it"
    "We make too many wrong mistakes"
    "It gets late early around here..."
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore"
    "I usually take a two hour nap from 1 to 4"
    "The future ain't what it used to be"
    "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel!"
    "Never answer an anonymous letter"
    "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

.. have all caught people off guard over the decades and all are attributed to one of the quickest and sharpest wits of all time, Yogi Berra!

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ... Yogi Berra...

Yes, his lines don't make sense but make sense. But I think that one is quite a nice motivational slogan when at the end of some task and getting a beating.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Yes, his lines don't make sense but make sense. But I think that one is quite a nice motivational slogan when at the end of some task and getting a beating.

At first glance none of his quips seem like they make sense, but upon immediate review, always seem to tie the problem directly at hand to the solution/realization. Remember too, Yogi was one of the smartest minds in baseball history. He understood the psychology of the game better than most of the best did, and far better than the rest.. He taught through logic, and broke down obstacles of learning into its simplest of forms through simple word/sayings that just made you think, and sometimes laugh.

• Options
    shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, I am _________, and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name?s sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    shonsu5320 wrote: »
    "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, I am _________, and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name?s sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

Being the philosopher and person of multiple faiths, I have to note this comes from Mark 13:1-13. (TAKE HEED THAT NO MAN DECEIVE YOU.) Of course spoken from the big JC, the quote blank both using "he" and "Jesus" depending on the translation.

And also heed thine warning that "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."
    2 Timothy 4:3-4 (THEY WILL NOT ENDURE SOUND DOCTRINE)

But did I miss an anniversary or was this just a quote and not an early Christmas :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    "One fasts for health?s sake under laws governing health, fasts as a penance for a wrong done and felt as such. In these fasts, the fasting one need not believe in Ahimsa. There is, however, a fast which a votary of non-violence sometimes feels impelled to undertake by way of protest against some wrong done by society, and this he does when as a votary of Ahimsa has no other remedy left. Such an occasion has come my way.

When on September 9th, I returned to Delhi from Calcutta, it was to proceed to the West Punjab. But that was not to be. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Delhi looked a city of the dead. As I alighted from the train I observed gloom on every face I saw. Even the Sardar, whom humour and the joy that humour gives never desert, was no exception this time. The cause of it I did not know. He was on the platform to receive me. He lost no time in giving me the sad news of the disturbances that had taken place in the Metropolis of the Union. At once I saw that I had to be in Delhi and ?do or die?. There is a apparent calm brought about by prompt military and police action. But there is storm within the breast. It may burst forth any day. This I count as no fulfillment of the vow to ?do? which alone can keep me from death, the incomparable friend. I yearn for heart friendship between the Hindus, the Sikhs and the Muslims. It subsisted between them the other day. Today it is non-existent. It is a state that no Indian patriot worthy of the name can contemplate with equanimity. Though the Voice within has been beckoning for a long time, I have been shutting my ears to it, lest it may be the voice of Satan otherwise called my weakness. I never like to feel resourceless, a Satyagrahi never should. Fasting is his last resort in the place of the sword?his or other?s. I have no answer to return to the Muslim friends who see me from day to day as to what they should do. My impotence has been gnawing at me of late. It will go immediately the fast is undertaken. I have been brooding over it for the last three days. The final conclusion has flashed upon me and it makes me happy. No man, if he is pure has anything more precious to give than his life. I hope and pray that I have that purity in me to justify the step.

I ask you all to bless the effort and to pray for me and with me. The fast begins from the first meal tomorrow. The period is indefinite and I may drink water with or without salts and sour limes. It will end when and if I am satisfied that there is a reunion of hearts of all the communities brought about without any outside pressure, but from an awakened sense of duty. The reward will be the regaining of India?s dwindling prestige and her fast fading sovereignty over the heart of Asia and therethrough the world. I flatter myself with belief that the loss of the hope of the aching, storm-tossed and hungry world. Let no friend, or foe if there be one, be angry with me. There are friends who do not believe in the method of the fast for the reclamation of the human mind. They will bear with me and extent to me the same liberty of action that they claim for themselves. With God as my supreme, and sole counselor, I felt that I must take the decision without any other adviser. If I made a mistake and discover it, I shall have no hesitation in proclaiming it from the housetop and retracing my faulty step. There is clear indication, as I claim there is, of the Inner Voice, it will not be gainsaid. I plead for all absence of argument and inevitable endorsement of the step. If the whole of India responds or at least Delhi does, the fast might be soon ended.

But whether it ends soon or late or never, let there be no softness in dealing with what may be termed as a crisis. Critics have regarded some of my previous fasts as coercive and held that on merits the verdict would have gone against my stand but for the pressure exercised by the fasts. What value can an adverse verdict have when the purpose is demonstrably sound? A pure fast, like duty, is its own reward. I do not embark upon it for the sake of the result it may bring. I do so because I must. Hence, I urge everybody dispassionately to examine the purpose and let me die, if I must, in peace which I hope is ensured. Death for me would be a glorious deliverance rather than that I should be a helpless witness of the destruction of India, Hinduism, Sikhism and Islam. That destruction is certain if Pakistan ensures no equality of status and security of life and property for all professing the various faiths of the world, and if India copies her. Only then Islam dies in the two Indias, not in the world. But Hinduism and Sikhism have no world outside India. Those who differ from me will be honoured by me for their resistance however implacable. Let my fast quicken conscience, not deaden it. Just contemplate the rot that has set in beloved India and you will rejoice to think that there is a humble son of hers who is strong enough and possibly pure enough to take the happy step. If he is neither, he is a burden on earth. The sooner he disappears and clears the Indian atmosphere of the burden the better for him and all concerned.

I would beg of all friends not to rush to Birla House nor try to dissuade me or be anxious for me. I am in God?s hands. Rather, they should turn the searchlights inwards, for this is essentially a testing time for all of us. Those who remain at their post of duty and perform it diligently and well, now more so than hitherto, will help me and the cause in every way. The fast is a process of self-purification."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Being the philosopher and person of multiple faiths, I have to note this comes from Mark 13:1-13. (TAKE HEED THAT NO MAN DECEIVE YOU.) Of course spoken from the big JC, the quote blank both using "he" and "Jesus" depending on the translation.

And also heed thine warning that "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."
    2 Timothy 4:3-4 (THEY WILL NOT ENDURE SOUND DOCTRINE)

But did I miss an anniversary or was this just a quote and not an early Christmas :)

You have the speaker right. It's actually from Matthew 24, but Mark 13 is really close along with Luke 21.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Awesome, yep Mathew 24.

Lets not use religious or political speeches as it could easily be considered against forum EULA, and dont want to take this thread there.

But, props of course for the contribution, that was a real good one!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Lets not use religious or political speeches as it could easily be considered against forum EULA, and dont want to take this thread there.

True. I didn't realize that. Sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Whoops, good point. Will keep up the Gandhi speech for continuity but will skip future religious/political choices in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Its all good. Loved the JC and Ghandi speeches.

Most speeches searchable online are political/religious in nature. The gems to me, are the ones who dont represent a government or religion, yet have earned the right to speak through actions ... and those actions define the man/woman, their message and are important enough to still be in the public domain many, many years later.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    "Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

"There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that's first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I don't ever want to finish second again. There is a second place bowl game, but it is a game for losers played by losers. It is and always has been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win.

"Every time a football player goes to play his trade he's got to play from the ground up - from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. That's O.K. You've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, you've got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body. If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he's never going to come off the field second.

"Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization - an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win - to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is.

"It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there - to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules - but to win.

"And in truth, I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline. There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat.

"I don't say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Who am I?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I know the answer but am abstaining to give somebody else a chance. Heck of a coach though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    agahnimzagahnimz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This thread is as dead as Vince Lombardi!

Okay, next one, not a sports person....

What is patriotism? Is it love of one's birthplace, the place of childhood's recollections and hopes, dreams and aspirations? Is it the place where, in childlike naivete, we would watch the passing clouds, and wonder why we, too, could not float so swiftly? The place where we would count the milliard glittering stars, terror-stricken lest each one "an eye should be," piercing the very depths of our little souls? Is it the place where we would listen to the music of the birds and long to have wings to fly, even as they, to distant lands? Or is it the place where we would sit on Mother's knee, enraptured by tales of great deeds and conquests? In short, is it love for the spot, every inch representing dear and precious recollections of a happy, joyous and playful childhood?
    If that were patriotism, few American men of today would be called upon to be patriotic, since the place of play has been turned into factory, mill, and mine, while deepening sounds of machinery have replaced the music of the birds. No longer can we hear the tales of great deeds, for the stories our mothers tell today are but those of sorrow, tears and grief.
    What, then, is patriotism? "Patriotism, sir, is the last resort of scoundrels," said Dr. [Samuel] Johnson. Leo Tolstoy, the greatest anti-patriot of our time, defines patriotism as the principle that will justify the training of wholesale murderers; a trade that requires better equipment in the exercise of man-killing than the making of such necessities as shoes, clothing, and houses; a trade that guarantees better returns and greater glory than that of the honest workingman...
    Indeed, conceit, arrogance and egotism are the essentials of patriotism. Let me illustrate. Patriotism assumes that our globe is divided into little spots, each one surrounded by an iron gate. Those who have had the fortune of being born on some particular spot consider themselves nobler, better, grander, more intelligent than those living beings inhabiting any other spot. It is, therefore, the duty of everyone living on that chosen spot to fight, kill and die in the attempt to impose his superiority upon all the others.