test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is the Drow "fiasco" going to change your spending plans?

ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've seen so many arguments back and forth about how postponing Drow will/won't hurt cryptic. So let's just do a number check and see.
Post edited by ysil6969 on

Comments

• Options
    exterminosexterminos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited February 2013
    how exactly is it a Fiasco ?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    exterminos wrote: »
    how exactly is it a Fiasco ?

That's why it's in quotes. That's just what I've seen it tossed around here as and found it to be a catchy term.
  • Options
    exterminosexterminos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited February 2013
    gotcha well given the response of some people ya i get what you mean
  • Options
    ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wasn't going to play one. No skin off my back, no change to my spending plans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    What about the option "I will be spending more than I planned to?"

Given some people will likely now buy the Hero of the North Founder's Pack due to this, that seems like a conspicuously absent option.
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    arythor wrote: »

Given some people will likely now buy the Hero of the North Founder's Pack due to this, that seems like a conspicuously absent option.

That wouldn't help the OPs position. No option for Cryptic has given me more confidence in them by coming threw on and making something exclusive they said would be exclusive but one for negative opinion of Cryptic. Or your more money option. There are more negative poll answers than positive ones skewing the poll.
  • Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    That wouldn't help the OPs position. No option for Cryptic has given me more confidence in them by coming threw on and making something exclusive they said would be exclusive but one for negative opinion of Cryptic. Or your more money option. There are more negative poll answers than positive ones skewing the poll.

Honestly i'd argue that the not-so-subtle wording itself would have possibly scewed data, but then again this poll as you said, is about reaffirming the conclusion that someone has already come to.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    While I personally am not happy waiting 60 days to make a normal drow, I am at least pleased to know a that normal drow will be a free to play race. 60 days is a long time in an MMO though, that is two months. Ah well, all good things come to those who wait (or buy a Menzo-Renegade right away *chuckles*).

I don't see how this would affect my spending habits though.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2013

/agreed

As much as the OP may hate it, it should be included, unless we're looking to make another thread to beat Cryptic over the head.

Personally, I asked for a refund of my Guardian of the North pack, since they changed (in my mind) what was being offered in the Hero of the North pack. Next pay day I'm going to put down the $200 for the Hero of the North pack.

I was on the fence when I initially purchased, but the decision to make Drow a 60 day exclusive tipped things in favor of the HotN pack.

So I'll actually be spending more now.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    I've seen so many arguments back and forth about how postponing Drow will/won't hurt cryptic. So let's just do a number check and see.
    Biased poll options? Check.
    Biased/non-representative population sample? Check.

The sociologist in me must scream but has no mouth.
  • Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »

That's okay, it's not like polls are actually useful for supporting an argument since they are often skewed or use subtle word trickery like "Sixty percent of americans believe X" in order to further a political agenda, so i'm willing to bet most people here won't be giving it any....what's the word...
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wary, but I am always that way. I am waiting to see what happens at launch. I kind of hope its a Drow release event, that would be cool. Maybe they are planning a little small area where only drow start, to explain why there so many Dark Elves running around. I won't play a drow but I would maybe make one for something like that.(I don't think this is going to happen, but man it would be cool)

I hope they just keep it exclusive and don't charge unlock money. If they charge 10 to 20 at launch.. the whole thing was about money and will be upsetting to me. I know people will pay it, but it just seems wrong to charge for it and then 60days later its free.

I know they need to make money also, I for one think all NEW race, classess should be charged after the intital launch class/races and I have no problems paying for them. It just seems drow was so in at launch. I just don't like super shady tricks, I have no plans of making a drow unless there is some type of event. I'm all dwarf baby.
  • Options
    kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    I wasn't planning to buy into anything until I've had an opportunity to play it. I never pre-order or pre-purchase - and after reading the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines nonsense I'm much more entrenched in that thought process.

In this case, from what I've read and what I understand, it does feel like the agreement was changed after the agreement was made. My understanding is that PW/Cryptic did this to avoid a potential false advertising claim or something regarding the wording around the Menzo Renegade being fuzzy (I think it was referred to as a "race" at one point in their marketing). Even still, the people buying the two less expensive pre-order packs pre-ordered with the expectations that they could play a Drow, but now can't for 60 days.

I personally don't know if I care too much about playing a Drow, but unfortunately it makes me a little bit more skeptical about the companies behind the game. It won't stop me from trying it out during beta (if I get in) or upon release, but it probably will make me think twice about potential purchases. It also concerns me that the publicity relating to decisions like this might turn people off from playing it, and I've been concerned about the popularity of the game and ability to sustain a high enough population to continue supporting it from the developer's point of view.
  • Options
    liaratsoni84liaratsoni84 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am now wary of them but I am still willing to give them a chance. I REALLY wanted to play a drow at launch as you can probably tell from my signature and avatar, but I still have ideas for other characters and I like other races. It does put me and others in a weird situation though since some of us joined drow-based rp guilds and stuff like that.

I want to be optimistic and believe in the game, so I can wait 2 months. If I like my experience I will probably inhabit the game and spend more money.

However, I will say that if after 2 months there are no drow I will likely stop supporting this altogether due to what I would consider false advertisement. The drow have been on the races page forever. Most people had the expectation that they would be in the game and free to play for everyone. Its only after they got into the founder's packs that they decided it had to be exclusive. I don't mind supporting developers in payment for their hard work, but I don't like being deceived with stuff like this. There is no real reason the drow could not be in the game. If its a mistake then that is OK, they are humans after all.

I do worry that this will affect the population of the game and make people not want to play. Hopefully it won't make too many people angry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    no impact here. Being a Drow never entered my Human Cleric's mind.
  • Options
    drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Meh.. I could care less about the Drow, and even if I did, i'd just roll an alt later on as a Drow, but honestly i'm more interested in the Elf as it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my Sig to view our community website
  • Options
    thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The fact that this is actually going to win them more money, and people actually want to spend more money on this, has me absolutely disgusted to be a gamer right now. Welp, we can probably look forward to delayed classes and races, that you can buy instant access to, especially if it's getting guardians to spend $140 more dollars for something that was originally supposed to be in launch.
  • Options
    neya01neya01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited February 2013
    I took some time to re-think my initial response when i heard the Drow were getting delayed, and i think i'm going to change plans: Instead of playing a half-elf and a drow at launch, i will start with a half-elf and make a drow when they become avaiable. I will still be more wary of spending cash on this game, though, since the way this issue was handled (aka ninja-editing) does lower my impression of the companies behind Neverwinter and if there are more issues like this i will take my money elsewhere.
  • Options
    draxonflydraxonfly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Drows? booo /spit.. Dwarfs all the way!! Dwaaarrrfffs!!!! */smashes something with his axe/*
    draxonflynw1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    That's okay, it's not like polls are actually useful for supporting an argument since they are often skewed or use subtle word trickery like "Sixty percent of americans believe X" in order to further a political agenda, so i'm willing to bet most people here won't be giving it any....what's the word...

Yeah the problem is the brain dead hordes of people follow them like zombies after a person with a wounded leg. It is sad how many people believe that the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> spewed is truth.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    draxonfly wrote: »
    Drows? booo /spit.. Dwarfs all the way!! Dwaaarrrfffs!!!! */smashes something with his axe/*

Someone get Draxonfly a biscuit and an ale before he wrecks the place.
  • Options
    walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    what drow fiasco... what the hell is everyone on about?

is this about the fact you cant play as drow for 60 days or the fact people outside the top tier founder will be able to play drow period?

whats the problem here?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    walker wrote: »
    what drow fiasco... what the hell is everyone on about?

is this about the fact you cant play as drow for 60 days or the fact people outside the top tier founder will be able to play drow period?

whats the problem here?

Yup that is what is about.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Sorry. Never thought of this. If you want people to know you're spending more, just hit No and type it in the reply box.
    keirkin wrote:

A. You don't even know what my position is. I voted wary. I'm waiting for launch to see what happens. Sorry if It seems that I'm trying to skew it towards wary?
    B. There's a positive, negative, neutral, and an I don't care because I'm not spending money option. I apologize for not being a professional surveyor, as apparently most of you are.

And for being a skewed poll. It looks like positives won by a lot. So we can lay to rest the Drow discussion and any arguments whether it was a bad or good business decision by cryptic.
    shiaika wrote: »

Non-representative sample? You must be talking about the people who are playing the game but don't visit the forums... wait. No. It's not out yet. So the majority of people following it will be here waiting for information?
  • Options
    walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    Yup that is what is about.

which one.... are people butt hurt cause they cant play for 60 days without paying real money (lawl F2P is F2P)
    or the fact people who paid 200$ are butt hurt cause others can play as drow eventually?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    walker wrote: »
    which one.... are people butt hurt cause they cant play for 60 days without paying real money (lawl F2P is F2P)
    or the fact people who paid 200$ are butt hurt cause others can play as drow eventually?

The first one i have not seen anyone upset they paid 200 bucks for founders pack + a different drow skin. Frankly if its cosmetic to me it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A. You don't even know what my position is. I voted wary. I'm waiting for launch to see what happens. Sorry if It seems that I'm trying to skew it towards wary?

But from your past posts I can extrapolate with a fair degree of accuracy. You think Cryptic did something wrong.
    B. There's a positive, negative, neutral, and an I don't care because I'm not spending money option. I apologize for not being a professional surveyor, as apparently most of you are.

"I don't know. I'm wary now though." Is not neural it implies negativity. It implies Cryptic did something wrong to cause someone to be wary when they weren't before. Hence Negative.
    And for being a skewed poll. It looks like positives won by a lot. So we can lay to rest the Drow discussion and any arguments whether it was a bad or good business decision by cryptic.

Just because there are more, No votes does not mean the poll was not skewed, just that the skewed nature of the poll did not extremely influence the poll, not that it didn't skew the results.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Polls are pretty much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in situation like these, let's face it when the game goes live it will mean diddly squat as most peeps won't even bother voting and as such it won't reflect reality either way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    malvaenmalvaen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Drow are amazing and full of all kinds of kick-assery! $200 is a small price to pay for that kind of action!
  • Options
    davewestdavewest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I bought founder's pack regardless of a special race...