test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please allow evil Deity choices in CC

azorylazoryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 42
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
After watching some videos from the past beta, I saw how you could pick a god and origin city.

Can you please add more options in the Deity selection area including evil Deities. Deities like Bane, Cyric, Lolth, Tempus, Unberlee, etc

Since they do nothing for game stats it should be an easy update.
Post edited by azoryl on

Comments

• Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't even know why they have a deity selection at all, just remove it and let people fill in their deity of choice in the personal background, since it has no bearing in the game.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    azorylazoryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    Why not have it.

I like it... reminds me of EQ, although in EQ it had an actual effect in game.

Also for got to say, add the agnostic choice.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Tempus is in there, and is not evil. I remember way back them saying something about evil deities not making sense. Since Neverwinter online you play the valiant hero who saves neverwinter, it wouldn't make any sense to worship an evil god. Might make sense later on when evil based foundry missions start getting released.
  • Options
    argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The facial options include a Cyric symbol tattoo. A bit odd my halfling can run about town with a declaration of loyalty to Cyric on his face for everyone to see, but I can't choose him on the diety cc page because "it doesn't make sense" :p

I'd like to see a run of foundry missions just for villainous characters. Give my rogue the opportunity to just bust heads and "steal", rather than running about always saving the world.
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    argoylet wrote: »
    The facial options include a Cyric symbol tattoo. A bit odd my halfling can run about town with a declaration of loyalty to Cyric on his face for everyone to see, but I can't choose him on the diety cc page because "it doesn't make sense" :p

I'd like to see a run of foundry missions just for villainous characters. Give my rogue the opportunity to just bust heads and "steal", rather than running about always saving the world.

Maybe you got branded by some Cyric worshipers ? :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    I remember way back them saying something about evil deities not making sense. Since Neverwinter online you play the valiant hero who saves neverwinter, it wouldn't make any sense to worship an evil god. Might make sense later on when evil based foundry missions start getting released.

Not sure why someone could not be a mercenary, worship an evil god and be killing evil to fill his/her purse. Evil kills evil all the time for their own reasons.
  • Options
    crivilnite2crivilnite2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited February 2013
    Funny agnostic option in an universe where Gods do exist and being present overall the place lol. Godless could be, tho is again a nonsense, knowing that will put you in a very painful situation after death...
    I'm The Guardian, death is my business be it yours or mine.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Funny agnostic option in an universe where Gods do exist and being present overall the place lol. Godless could be, tho is again a nonsense, knowing that will put you in a very painful situation after death...

It's no longer painful since Kelemvor's take over. It just is. No pleasure, no pain, you're simply placed with others of your ethical background.
  • Options
    stereocyclopsstereocyclops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    Yes, the presence of 'gods' is undeniable within the lore. As a result, neither Atheist (there are no deities) or Agnostic (the existence or non-existence of any deity is unknown and possibly unknowable) are tenable positions unless that character is truly incapable of perceiving reality.

However, I suspect that most people who are requesting agnostic or atheist really are asking for something better described as either 'denier' or 'undecided'.

Denier could be defined as "there may be powerful creatures that call themselves gods, but there is no true evidence that they are our creators or a moral guide". The denier chooses to ignore (passive) or defy (active) the will of the creatures who call themselves gods. That's not far from the agnostic position, except for some hair splitting.

Undecided I see as someone who recognizes the existence and authority of the gods, but who acknowledges none more than any other. They may also be holding out for a greater god, or a better choice - not finding resonance in the moral and active positions of any of the known pantheon.

Both positions can be easily fulfilled by allowing the user to select "none" as an option. The rest is just RP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I would rather see a non denominational option than an agnostic option.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Never mind read the post wrong :)
  • Options
    vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree I want them to add evil choices before release for sure.
  • Options
    oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I though Cyric imprisoned? He still has worshippers after the effects of his crimes?
    e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think it fits with the theme of 4E and the current direction of D&D as presented by WotC to not have evil deities available. They should add a few more of the non-good post-Spellplague Forgotten Realms deities that fill some of the thematic niche gaps in the current deity selection, though. Like Tymora, and Waukeen. For the roguish or mercenary types that might not feel like any of the current available deities fit their character concept.
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I though Cyric imprisoned? He still has worshippers after the effects of his crimes?

He is imprisoned in his own plane of existence, not able to escape and wreck havoc on the rest of the cosmos, but still able to grant spells and thus grant power to his followers.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    xnargrothxxnargrothx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    azoryl wrote: »
    Why not have it.

I like it... reminds me of EQ, although in EQ it had an actual effect in game.

Also for got to say, add the agnostic choice.

Haha... I still remember all the trouble I had from making my Bard a follower of Veeshan.

EverQuest... now that was some true glory days as far as MMORPG'ing goes :)
  • Options
    desmundesmun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited February 2013
    Is there a list anywhere of the available Gods for selection at character creation?
  • Options
    underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All gods good, evil and neutral should be in the game and have some effect in game, its boring otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    Well here's the thing it's pretty much a given we'll be fighting various evil cultists and the like in the game so you'd end up having a worshiper, or even a full fledged Cleric, of Bane or Asmodeus or whomever going out and thwarting their own god's plans. Heck bonus points is an avatar or aspect of some evil god ends up as a high level boss then you'd have your toons that are supposed to be worshipers of said deity literally fighting their own god.

As for the tattoos, like someone else mentioned you could of been branded or it could of been something in your character's backstory, like a remnant of the high fantasy version of going through a goth phase as a teen or something :p
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    desmun wrote: »
    Is there a list anywhere of the available Gods for selection at character creation?

http://nwowiki.co/index.php?title=Character_Creation#Deity_Affiliation
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »
    Well here's the thing it's pretty much a given we'll be fighting various evil cultists and the like in the game so you'd end up having a worshiper, or even a full fledged Cleric, of Bane or Asmodeus or whomever going out and thwarting their own god's plans. Heck bonus points is an avatar or aspect of some evil god ends up as a high level boss then you'd have your toons that are supposed to be worshipers of said deity literally fighting their own god.

As for the tattoos, like someone else mentioned you could of been branded or it could of been something in your character's backstory, like a remnant of the high fantasy version of going through a goth phase as a teen or something :p

The Neverwinter main story quests will be told form a heroes point of view but many people plan on creating foundry campaigns for evil align characters. The devs said that even high end group content will be there for DM's too use. Restrictions are silly , that's been the problem with 4th edition, people should be able to make good ,evil or neutral characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    o7deadlysinso7deadlysins Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 38
    edited February 2013
    I guess I never noticed this on character creation, lol. My cleric is aligned Good, and my rogue was always unaligned. But I agree, there should be that option since this is playing off D&D and the choices shouldn't be changed with the reflecting MMO.
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Haha, I can totally see this happening!

"Great and terrible Lord Asmodeus, hear my plea! I, your devoted servant, call upon the power of your dark wrath to smite . . . uh . . . well . . . to smite, um, YOU. Okay, this is awkward..."
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    Here's something I've been wondering but it's probably not worth making a whole new topic about so here's probably the best place to ask for now, what does the deity choice at character creation actually do anyhow?
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    why not introduce evil classes and dieties in one of the future expansions, maybe even with a r vs r system
  • Options
    xeiken1xeiken1 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's something I've been wondering but it's probably not worth making a whole new topic about so here's probably the best place to ask for now, what does the deity choice at character creation actually do anyhow?

Nothing at this moment, it clearly states so on the very same screen:

http://youtu.be/xePKGtYSh3o?t=13m24s

Check the text at the top.
  • Options
    drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If they allow for evil alignment characters they need to have all the implications of that ingame.
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They have a tattoo for cyric in the character customization. rather odd to have his tattoo on your face and worship someone else...
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    I don't even know why they have a deity selection at all, just remove it and let people fill in their deity of choice in the personal background, since it has no bearing in the game.

Seriously this^, simply THIS^^^

I should not have to pick a random deity or background that doesn't even fit my character when I can just WRITE those down and the effect will ultimately be the same. Simply let us fill in that information ourselves.
    xeiken1 wrote: »
    Nothing at this moment, it clearly states so on the very same screen:

http://youtu.be/xePKGtYSh3o?t=13m24s

Check the text at the top.

That's kinda odd, I mean I guess it's nice that they make you spend a moment thinking of your character as an RP character for a moment, this being based on a PnP RPG and all, but if it's purely cosmetic and won't be more than a line of text on your character's info page I don't see why they couldn't just let you fill it out yourself. Heck as is I can see plenty of people just ignoring that bit of per-rendered text and just writing "So-and-So is a worshiper of Shar" or whatever in their bio and RPing it as such.

Of course the downside to this is that clerics will still be using the same sparkly holy light spells rather than..um...not sparkly unholy darkness spells I guess. But that's kinda something they'll be bugging me even on good or neutral clerics because everyone will have the same spells and such, I don't know how 4th ed does cleric as a whole, but in other editions if I made a cleric of Tempus, a cleric of Torm, and a cleric of Silvanus or other nature deity they'd most likely be built rather differently.