test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Worried about Guardian Fighter weapons (description screenshot)

tagari84tagari84 Member Posts: 36
edited March 2013 in The Militia Barracks
guardian.jpg

I was watching a video on YouTube with the character creation of a dwarf. I took the above screenshot where I underline the words "trusty longsword".

I never saw a Fighter using anything else other than a longsword, all the beta videos suggested that the quest weapon rewards were longswords but I was thinking that "beta is beta" and that probably we would get many different weapons at release.

However I saw in another video that the Fighter can stab people with his sword behind his shield while holding shift to block. I thought immediately "well my dwarf Fighter will look silly doing that with his battleaxe" and now I see this screenshot!

I have to admit that I am truly worried about this. I wanted to create a dwarf Fighter using an axe. I think the dwarves look great but if I am only able to use a sword I don't think I will create one...

I searched the forums but didn't see anything on the matter. Does anyone have any valid information?
Post edited by tagari84 on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To replace longsword with axe or flail should be a siple matter of animation for cryptic.
    Changing stats of weapons a bit should also not be an issue.

Even if they don't have it at launch, people can get toghether and ask for changes - and I a sure if people press and budget is not an option, they can make and deliver it in a month or so (speculation).

Important thing is - the engine supports it.
  • Options
    sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I also share this concern but I'm finding it hard to believe the developers would put that severe of a restriction into the game. They cannot be so daft as to not know players would HATE not having a weapon choice, especially in a D&D game!
    I agree with above poster. These are fixed animations, all they need to do is have another animation for a single axe/hammer (same animation would work).
    They can do this relatively easily.
  • Options
    lithomedlithomed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited February 2013
    From what I saw, and I only got my Guardian to 23, we only got swords. I never saw another guardian with anything other than a sword. Rogues were in the same boat, with nothing but daggers until much later when a few people got a handaxe. I hope this is only due to the game's status as beta and more weapon choice is forthcoming. I personally prefer the longsword but I understand that many prefer other weapon types and I hope they get them.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lithomed wrote: »
    From what I saw, and I only got my Guardian to 23, we only got swords. I never saw another guardian with anything other than a sword. Rogues were in the same boat, with nothing but daggers until much later when a few people got a handaxe. I hope this is only due to the game's status as beta and more weapon choice is forthcoming. I personally prefer the longsword but I understand that many prefer other weapon types and I hope they get them.

I was told that someone in beta found an axe with shield and used it for guardian fighter. Another user also told me that he got some non-sword weapon for GWF but was not able to use it as he was playing GF.
  • Options
    silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited February 2013
    It's the first beta, sure alot of assests didn't go in.
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I'm sure there will be a class with an axe someday. There will be TONS of classes!
  • Options
    edwardledwardl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm sure there will be a class with an axe someday. There will be TONS of classes!

.. That should be the fighter if any class. Not just axes though, hammers, maces, scimitars etc.

People seem to accept the fact that GF's are getting railroaded into onehander and board, but to get railroaded into just using a longsword is too much, should that be the case.
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can see using any type or combination of weapons but with the game mechanics it might but only one handed weapon with shield would be easiest.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The only reason I made this thread is because that evil screenshot got me scared! ;) I wasn't worried watching beta videos because it's only beta. But seeing that class description was too much for me I guess. It's good to "hear" that beta testers saw more weapons for the Fighter though.

Now I will go back to imagine my sturdy dwarven friend... Battleaxe, hammer of maybe a flail? Hmmm.... :):):)
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think you should worry.

If you look at this vid with TotalBiscuit (specifically at 38:59):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

In the dungeon, a blue GWF Club (+2 Club of Ogrekind) was one of the loot drops. While there was not a GWF available at the time, it demonstrates that other weapons besides the ones we have seen so far are in-game, or, are at least capable of being in-game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You start with a sword but must FIND other weapon types. That's all we know at this time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't think you should worry.

If you look at this vid with TotalBiscuit (specifically at 38:59):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

In the dungeon, a blue GWF Club (+2 Club of Ogrekind) was one of the loot drops. While there was not a GWF available at the time, it demonstrates that other weapons besides the ones we have seen so far are in-game, or, are at least capable of being in-game.

Nice point! Thanks! I feel bad about myself now because I watched the video before but didn't pay attention to that. :p
  • Options
    molegballmolegball Member, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    LOL I remember when beta was only for people who new what that meant. ITS BETA!!! sorry for the caps. Betas don't include everything, just be fortunate they granted you access or the option to pay your way in.
    "You must first walk before you can Run"
    Also, you cant complain much about the game, when it is going to be free to download and free to play.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Very nice post molegball... You are being insulting and I don't even know if you read my opening post at all. I suggest you do that and maybe you will have something better to say. By the way I am not one of the "fortunate" to be in the beta as I haven't bought any of the packs.

Can you also do me a favor and quote a single complaint I made about the game?
  • Options
    jpdegraafjpdegraaf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited February 2013
    "Truly I tell you, do not worry about your life..."
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
  • Options
    infrasoundxinfrasoundx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    Beta is Beta, they will change this mate :>
  • Options
    hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    In the videos topic in General someone posted a video of a dwarf Guardian using an axe.

The class description is probably just flavor text. "Trusty longsword" sounds better than "trusty one-handed weapon of your choice". And keep in mind this is "beta" weekend is really just a media event to build hype. Don't expect to see a wide variety of gear in this limited builds this early in development.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well yeah, as I said I know beta is beta. But the combination of the description's text AND the stabbing animation behind the shield (you can't stab with an axe, mace or flail) made me slightly worried. Worried enough to make this thread even if I was 99% positive we will get more weapon types.

If they add different animations for different weapon types that would be great. Not for every attack but maybe for details like that stabbing attack behind the shield.

And once again, I didn't complain about the game. I am very excited for this one. :)
  • Options
    percyxenospercyxenos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To be honest tagari, I had the same worry when I looked to the new guardian video. That honestly was the first thing that came to my mind. Because I was planning on using a dwarf with a mace or axe. But hearing some of the Mods talk has alleviated that fear somewhat.
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wonder, what are the chancs that there will be halberds.

I'm probably the only person who loves this type of weapons (I first played Neverwinter Nights, and got a neat '+1' halberd from the prison commander, and I just got too used to those... since then it's been the weapon of my choice for all games of the series).

Anyway, let's hope that most(better if all) weapons that are in NWN 1 and 2 will be added here (MMORPG that has ONLY swords sounds quite dull)
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What I want to know is if your weapon is going to be stictly a function of whatever your equipment is. That is to say, can I go to the shop and buy an axe or a flail or a mace "skin" to change the visual appearance of the new longsword loot I just got? This way I get to use my new equipment but aren't tied to its visuals.

I know that doesn't work in real life, but for an MMO I'm completely okay with two weapons being mechanically identical but with a different model.
  • Options
    goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aavarius wrote: »
    What I want to know is if your weapon is going to be stictly a function of whatever your equipment is. That is to say, can I go to the shop and buy an axe or a flail or a mace "skin" to change the visual appearance of the new longsword loot I just got? This way I get to use my new equipment but aren't tied to its visuals.

I know that doesn't work in real life, but for an MMO I'm completely okay with two weapons being mechanically identical but with a different model.

That was already in game, there is an appearance tab and you can change the appearance of an item by sacrificing the item you want it to look like. It costs a couple hundred AD to complete though. Would be better if they just added a generic appearance tab for weapons (currently only slotted for Chest/Boots/Helm and one other, but i'll take what i can get.
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • Options
    murgin1murgin1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Axes and hammers are quite possible. I think my dreams for a spear guardian aren't likely though :(

One could always hope; a lot of content has yet to be added in and as mentioned these are the very starting days of beta.
    "Saving you or slaying them."
  • Options
    rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    there is a guardian NPC sparring in protectors enclave that uses shield and mace. I am sure there will be other weapons. I want a Spear and Shield like Leonidas in 300
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    goose1009 wrote: »
    That was already in game, there is an appearance tab and you can change the appearance of an item by sacrificing the item you want it to look like. It costs a couple hundred AD to complete though. Would be better if they just added a generic appearance tab for weapons (currently only slotted for Chest/Boots/Helm and one other, but i'll take what i can get.
    That is there, yes, but it's not quite what I'm talking about. Unless the artists are still working on it, there are only a very few appearances to change from. Most of them are just variations on the same thing, so swords for swords, daggers for daggers, etc. What I'd like to see is the ability to switch out an entire weapon type for another weapon type (sword for morningstar, for instance). So long as they're roughly similar in configuration. I'm sure that's possible with what's already in place...but I just haven't seen it yet.

Maybe I should just be more patient.
  • Options
    tanvertanver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok here is the saving grace Video guys. I too had this concern and I found video evidence to back up that a Guardian can use an AXE, watch the guardian in this Youtube Video, I have it qued up to the point that you can see him with an AXE.

http://youtu.be/-XAs_XWT0Mk?t=3m43s
    20.jpg
    SOLA_Signature_zpsce14d8b8.gif
  • Options
    drizzt1814drizzt1814 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yikes, that wasn't the valentines gift anyone was looking for.
    Tons of classes does sound nice though.
  • Options
    nordicspecialnordicspecial Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Remember to ask for this stuff, for the love of all that is holy (or unholy if thats your thing) don't start demanding and threatening to quit like so many other mmo players.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    tanver wrote: »
    Ok here is the saving grace Video guys. I too had this concern and I found video evidence to back up that a Guardian can use an AXE, watch the guardian in this Youtube Video, I have it qued up to the point that you can see him with an AXE.

http://youtu.be/-XAs_XWT0Mk?t=3m43s

Thanks! :cool:
  • Options
    chuckfchuckf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I got an axe on my guardian fighter from the Orc event. And I also had a machete for some time too.