test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Worried about Guardian Fighter weapons (description screenshot)

2»

Comments

• Options
    maddllamamaddllama Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah long swords seemed to be the primary weapon, then around the mid-teens I got my first axe. Would also like to see a variety of weaponry to choose from. Just add multiple quest rewards, but same stats: You have a choice of a +1 Long Sword, +1 Battle Axe, or a +1 Battle Club.

Don't forget, we have not really seen crafting yet either, so who knows what types of weapons you can make there.
    5444373MbVxa.png
    @kmhknight

My campaign: The Madness Plague.
    My quest: Blacklake Gold

My guild: "The Older" Age 30+, Casual
  • Options
    crowl37crowl37 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here is me using an axe in the first Beta Weekend as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xVZG7GG_18
  • Options
    paddymaxsonpaddymaxson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited March 2013
    murgin1 wrote: »
    Axes and hammers are quite possible. I think my dreams for a spear guardian aren't likely though :(

One could always hope; a lot of content has yet to be added in and as mentioned these are the very starting days of beta.

I can't see why it's impossible though! A halfspear or Halberd is a suitable 1 handed weapon, the chief concern I suppose is that it will look silly to swing a spear like you would a sword...it's very common in MMOs for weapons to be wielded with identical animations to the point of silliness...swinging rapiers and spears, thrusting warhammers etc.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To that end it would be pretty cool if we had animations for damage types; slashing, piercing and bludgeoning. Even if they were the same for those weapons that fell under their category it would give each a different feel. Though that does seem like a huge amount of work.
  • Options
    tanvertanver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I cant even imagine the amount of time it would take to make each type have special animations, mainly due to the need to redo animations for each mob (enemy) model. since they all react to the attacks.

Very concerned that it would take way to much effort to redo all the animations, however changing a few of the main attacks would make sense, such as the at will abilities.
    20.jpg
    SOLA_Signature_zpsce14d8b8.gif
  • Options
    jezathforumjezathforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was dissapointed that not only could my gaurdian fighter only use a melee weapon with that being only a sword. I was also dissapointed that ALL the swords looked EXACTLY the same :S nothing looked epic imo, the flaming longsword had no flames, the other classic blades had no effects either.. i hope this imnproves..

enjin-393296-13641734601093802493-gray.png
    "There are two things that drive technology forward in a huge leap in this world, one is war and one is business..."-- Timothy Wade 2012
    "If you wish to join a guild, that will be running a guild foundry RP campaign then come take a look at [BLOOD]"
  • Options
    flametrenchflametrench Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes I would also like to see a spear and shield combination
  • Options
    meathooks333meathooks333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'll start by saying I totally agree with being able to use multiple types of weapons. If for no other reason than flavor. Prime example being brought up previously by the Dwarfier posters. Dwarves just seem to look more natural with axe or warhammer in hand. I totally support the option to use which one-handed melee weapon visually pleases you.

The reason longswords work really well in this situation is that they can be used for both slashing and thrusting. Two mechanics that the Guardian Fighter uses. Cleave almost needs to be a slashing arcing attack (this seems extremely silly to me if it is not) whereas Stab (the left-click power while blocking) needs to be thrusting motion. The longsword's versatility lends itself very well to these basic attacks.

I also have to agree with tanver. I think it would be a bad decision to use resources to create more animations to make the GFs attacks make sense with other weapons. This also brings up the topic of will other weapons have different speeds, do more or less damage per hit, have innate abilities such as maces/hammers occasionally stunning enemies... the list could go on. Point is you then start getting into a balance issue with the weapons. And each one has to be fine tuned so that a GF with a sword is not at a disadvantage to one with an axe.

I think it's best to just keep things simple, and except that you may have to look awkward thrusting with your axe from behind your shield.
    8131251489_ec88a8c016.jpg
  • Options
    vanderhelmvanderhelm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I prefer longswords I did get a 1H axe from the Orc Skirmish, it was dropping every single run I was in too so it didn't take me long at all to get it.

I replaced it with a longsword soon after that though, since that's the look I prefer anyway.
  • Options
    demise177demise177 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    FWIW at the end of beta I was using a mace. All the same animations of the sword but just a mace. If that's any indicator we can and do use other weapon types.
  • Options
    raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    i found 1 hand axes and maces for the gf during beta weekend 2. so he isnt just limited to longswords.
  • Options
    kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They need to put more, in two beta weekends i only found a machete and it got useless two quests later.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    it dropped mace for gf in lair of dragon and he could use it
  • Options
    watzdenclyffewatzdenclyffe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm glad to hear that as the development progressed that more weapons have been added in. I love using maces and hammers in games. Give me bludgeoning damage over slashing any day. As for Control Wizards and Devoted Clerics, while I would like to see them using other casting implements (at leat the Wizards Orb looks really cool when used) I can sort of understand if they don't get different choices. Is a shame though. Maybe they will introduce more caster classes that will use the other implements later. As for the Devoted Cleric I may be rolling, I really hope that I get more choices in holy symbols (please let me use a glowing hammer, for Moardin's sake)
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    edwardl wrote: »
    .. That should be the fighter if any class. Not just axes though, hammers, maces, scimitars etc.

People seem to accept the fact that GF's are getting railroaded into onehander and board, but to get railroaded into just using a longsword is too much, should that be the case.

There better be more choices for every class. I cant believe a cleric with no mace, I do not care if its the healing cleric or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]