test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Your Foundry Mission Ideas.

ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello Neverwinter Players :)

Here I'd like to ask what your basic ideas are for your first few missions (before you get the hang of it). Obviously I'm not going to ask for too much information because you may feel that you're risking others taking your concepts, but if you could provide a brief outline that would be great!

I want to see how you're all thinking, are you thinking of starting generic? Or from day one working hard on something for weeks until it's finally ready and releasing a massive mission with hidden items / chests / boss' etc?

I think it would be great to compile some mission ideas, so I'll go first! :)

Rescue

Blacksmith X describes how his mining expedition was interrupted by some Hobgoblins. Rescue any survivors.

Once you find the missing miners (all names), one gives you a note they found on a Hobgoblin body whilst fending for survival.

Note

The note is too hard for your to decipher, locate Librarian X to decipher the message.

Once you talk to the Scholar, he says he needs some time to work on the note and asks you to collect some herbs for him in the meantime.

Herbs

When you return, he tells you the note was meant for a head hobgoblin named X and that you need to investigate further.

Hobgoblin

Find Hobgoblin X

You notice the goblin is defending a node, kill the goblin and take part of the node back to the blacksmith.

Node

The blacksmith thanks you for your findings and gives you X reward.

Now obviously this is very simple and lore etc will be added. :)

Your turn!
Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
PvE Enthusiast.
mbre6g.jpg
Post edited by ashrox10 on

Comments

• Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not putting my adventure ideas here because all you thievin <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> will steal them :rolleyes:
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My first adventure is going to be a non combat one.

Basically, a guy gets drunk with some gypsies and thinks they turned him into a vampire because they sprinkled him with glitter and he sparkles in the sun.

Yep. It's going to be that. Because that's some stupid $%#@.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My first module will be non-combat (no seriously it will). It will just be a lair, with various NPCs walking around. It will be used as a place where guild members can meet and hatch schemes. I know this restricts access to just 5, but I still think it will be a worthwhile space to build until proper guild housing arrives.

After that, I will do serialized modules for my guild. They will begin with a hunt for a lost Dwarven gem dealer, on a commission from his worried wife. They'll have plenty of cliff hangers are intended as a weekly event for guild members. I'll encourage other guild members to either build their own serialized adventures or to spin-off this one to create new tangents and side-plots, or just enhance the central plot itself.

It's going to be wonderful fun.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In the immortal words of Monty "Lysander" Markland:

"I feel there is a strong need for a prison-based environment where lower-level players are repeatedly gang-[redacted] by higher level ones."
  • Options
    noolidnerdnoolidnerd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    "The Drider Pit". I don't want to give anything away but there is a colosseum based part. (Assuming, of course, that Driders and multiple wave boss encounters are in the foundry database.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yellatrukyellatruk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was going to give out a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> joke answer, but it seems this forum has been covered already.

My first (and possibly best) map will be based in a pve arena setting, starting at level 1 and working your way up through various fights and gaining acces to better armor and such.

Future add-ons will be pvp oriented.

I dont build very fast and dont have a lot of time, by the time i release it, there will be 400 variations of my same map all with more polish and popularity
  • Options
    noolidnerdnoolidnerd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    yellatruk wrote: »
    I was going to give out a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> joke answer, but it seems this forum has been covered already.

My first (and possibly best) map will be based in a pve arena setting, starting at level 1 and working your way up through various fights and gaining acces to better armor and such.

Future add-ons will be pvp oriented.

I dont build very fast and dont have a lot of time, by the time i release it, there will be 400 variations of my same map all with more polish and popularity
    You got to look into the functions of the Foundry because I suspect that none of that is possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    excise2k5excise2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    An aristocrat tells you his summer home away from the centre of the city has been overrun by brigands. He promises you a grand reward. But upon getting there, you find out the 'brigands' are noble thieves stealing from the aristocrat (who's a bit of a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but not really evil) to give to the poor.

You can either honour your agreement with the aristocrat and beat up the brigrands, or switch sides to the noble thieves and fight the wave of goons the aristocrat sends in to finish the job.
  • Options
    rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gonna make one where you pick up <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to get some berries that have been digested by some .....errr wait..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yellatrukyellatruk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You are correct sir, I haven't looked into Foundry functions at all.

Remaining optimistic for now, ignorance is bliss!
  • Options
    maestro973maestro973 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What's the spread on the time it takes for somebody to make a quest where you have to seduce all 7 sisters....at the same time!
  • Options
    syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One of the best quest ideas i have seen is from game Fable3. You meet 3 wizzards and they ask you to save a princess taken by evil Baron.

My first thought was "it's the most cheesy quest ever" and it start to make me angry but then they make you small and make you a hero in their pnp game hahah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYCq6i1RMiU
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think I am going to try a few single gaming session D&D pre-made adventures to get a hang of working with the Foundry and try to work my way up to converting The Red Hand of Doom over.
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm going to do something revolutionary and creative! Prepare to have your mind BLOWN!

(You ready? Warm up those 'give five star rating' fingers now!)

CHAPTER ONE: A nondescript man asks you to go into his basement and kill ten pesky rats for him in exchange for an insultingly small reward of copper.

CHAPTER TWO: A different (though equally nondescript) man asks you to go into the idyllic woods nearby and kill some of the bizarrely numerous boars there, collecting various parts of them so that he can make . . . assorted boar-related merchandise.

CHAPTER THREE: You find out that your princess is in another castle.

~fin~

No, but seriously, my Foundry adventures are going to be like Planescape: Torment. Except, not set in Planescape. But I fully intend to hold the record for "most words of written dialogue" and "most dialogue options" in the Foundry.

Yeah, craziness like this: http://futureblue.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/nature-of-a-man.png?w=547

I'd like to do a full-length campaign of multiple adventures focused heavily on aberrations, the Far Realm, the Abolethic Sovereignty, madness, corruption, and related themes. Sort of Lovecraftian. With a lot of investigative elements, talking to people, choices and branching paths, and plenty of hard fights against mind flayers and similar foes.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    I'm not putting my adventure ideas here because all you thievin <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> will steal them :rolleyes:
    Won't happen. We will be too busy making quests based on exploits to farm different stuff. True story.:p

I won't share ideas as I want them for my own personal selfish use. Only mention that one will involve rats and a basement. And that the title and decription of the quest will be deceiving about it. Plus my handle in game is different from my name here so good luck trying to dodge my rat quest.;)
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm going to make a multi quest chain where you get rewarded for being a Lover, not a Fighter. Final boss is a Succubus who requires some advanced techniques for success.

Was it Planescape:Torment where you had to basically "score" with everything that walked? (One of those old PC RPG's)
  • Options
    cnyrangercnyranger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited February 2013
    CHAPTER TWO: A different (though equally nondescript) man asks you to go into the idyllic woods nearby and kill some of the bizarrely numerous boars there, collecting various parts of them so that he can make . . . assorted boar-related merchandise.

I see you've played LotRO.
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    CHAPTER ONE: A nondescript man asks you to go into his basement and kill ten pesky rats for him in exchange for an insultingly small reward of copper.

I see that you have played:
    Muds
    TES
    WoW
    Ultima
    and so on...

Well, my missions are going to be about something. While I am no david lynch, I am to examplify social critisism/ psychopathology/ rasism and inter-group hostilities and heuristical thinking, without doing it blatantly obvious.

But it all comes down to how the tool functions. More restrictive, more thinking outside the box, but there is a limit :D
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Won't happen. We will be too busy making quests based on exploits to farm different stuff. True story.:p

Sadly, he's right, "boss farms" and "XP farms" are probably going to be pervasive. I don't know how well the Foundry defends against min/maxing, but I wager there will be a formula that generates as much reward for as little effort as possible. Those will then dominate most selections.

Ironically, they'll be played by the same players who insist the game "isn't hard enough", or worse, the people who cap within 5 days and then spend weeks complaining "there isn't enough to do", but hey, human nature is a strange thing. :)

Most novice adventure designers tend to make things far too difficult, not realizing that people will get bored, nobody is going to spend 3 hours trying to "conquer" your uber dungeon.

The other thing you'll see is door ganking. Missions that the moment you enter them are just a whirlwind of over-powerful mobs that beat you to a pulp. These same authors will then whine that nobody plays their modules and will say the rating system is "rigged". :)

To me, I'll look for brevity over "epic", I'll look for story over so-called "challenge" and I'll particularly look for segments/serialized adventure, that is to say, snippets of adventure that lead to more story/plot in the next chapter. This lets me sample something then return to it later if it met my fancy. I often only have 45 minute windows to play, so I'll look for modules that aren't massive messes that consume an entire day to complete. :)

Finally, I'll probably play modules that cater to RP and the RP community almost exclusively. It's on this front I am most excited. With the number of RP guilds filling in now, if we can work together, we can really mix/merge adventures together so that we weave some wonderful fan lore with this game.

To each their own by the way, I'd be the first to confess I am total Carebear and play the game with that style and method. So if grinding to min/max is your thing, all power to you. It takes a village. It's always been that way with D&D, a game that supports different styles and preferences. It's one of the reasons why the game is so strong and has lasted all these decades later.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Please keep on-topic or I'll have to ask a moderator to prune the thread.

Cheers.
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    ... Final boss is a Succubus who requires some advanced techniques for success.

Seriously?

How will you make sure it gets past the Standards and Practices team who decide the appropriateness of such "techniques"?
    :p
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Seriously?

How will you make sure it gets past the Standards and Practices team who decide the appropriateness of such "techniques"?
    :p
    You think I kid don't you. Wait, I will have a not combat adventure, and it will require advanced non combat techniques (aka Strats) to finish. Think of the boss like Arunika. Now get your mind out of the gutter Gil ;)
  • Options
    kojekoje Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a question about re-creating classic adventures using the Foundry.

If I wanted to re-create a very old AD&D module as a tribue and I am glad to give credit to the original authors and do not want any sort of profit, just a tribue to a classic adventure that is no longer even in print and hopefully people will enjoy. Would that be not allowed as a copyright issue? I would make sure it is clearly identified as a re-creation of someone else's work and credit them. I'm not looking to steal or profit from someone else's work.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    ... Now get your mind out of the gutter Gil ;)
    Nah, not in gutter. Its in bedroom. With soft comfy cushions - so no one gets hurt while applying "techniques". Safety is very important.
    If I wanted to re-create a very old AD&D module as a tribue and I am glad to give credit to the original authors and do not want any sort of profit, just a tribue to a classic adventure that is no longer even in print and hopefully people will enjoy. Would that be not allowed as a copyright issue? I would make sure it is clearly identified as a re-creation of someone else's work and credit them. I'm not looking to steal or profit from someone else's work.
    I remember asking the same question - but I don't think even devs are sure about that. Last time CMP replied that he is not sure but it is his opinion that recreating it should be fine as long as you don't make profit out of it.

*CMP=crypticmapolis
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'm tempted to try and convert the Tomb of Horrors.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    If it's all that and a rapid development tool. I wouldn't mind it being locked down and possibly only for the use of Cryptic and "friends". That way quality can be maintained, loopholes dealt with etc. Now before you go off on me, I know that won't happen but here is my reasoning.

Standard MMO takes months just to get a few missions out to us.

If the tool is great, Cryptic Devs could probably wip quality missions out it extremely fast, like under a day. Longer chained quest over a few days. That could be like every month they drop another 25 missions on us or more, partnered "friends" another chuck of missions/month. That is way way way ahead of what anyone else is giving us and it keeps quality up and easier for us to find things. Do we need 1000 new random <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> missions a month of several dozen tested quality one's?

There are disadvantages to just anyone making levels.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I got quite a few Ideas but I'm thinking on making an epic 5 man dungeon with alternate paths depending on what classes are involved with hidden mini bosses and loot. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I see that you have played:
    Muds
    TES
    WoW
    Ultima
    Neverwinter beta
    :D

and so on...
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I kind of want to do a Red Steel tribute, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it yet.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    wishniakwishniak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am looking to develop a storyline that evolves as the character rises in level. So I would want the story to start at about level 10; and pick up with additional episodes as the character advances additional 7 to 10 levels. In addition, I have overlap this worlds campaign with my own developed world in tabletop and have one or two elements that I may share in a Foundry module. I do have one long term epic storyline in mind and hope that the tool will bring it to life.