test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Drizzt alive during the time of Neverwinter?

russellgustorussellgusto Member Posts: 75 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have not read about Drizzt but heard a good deal about him. Will he be alive during this era of Neverwinter or has he passed?

Wishes!
Post edited by russellgusto on

Comments

• Options
    soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    He is around.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    He's a young drow.

He has quite a few more centuries to go.
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ^This

Not to mention that the next chapter of his life (aka Neverwinter book 4) comes out this March 5!
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Based on prior online D&D experiences, as well as the fact that they're selling his background and his pet as a founder's pack, I'd say that he most definitely will still be alive... and his twin brother, and his identical cousin, and his identical cousin twice removed, and his...
    He's a young drow.

He has quite a few more centuries to go.

With what WotC did to the realms and the 100 year jump it doesn't really matter if he is young for a Drow and is long lived. They did kill off plenty of "age immortal" people in the realms by violent death :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Ohhhh ok so Drow can live to be very old?
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Elf lifespan if I am not mistaken. So yes a very very very long time by human standards. 30 or so "human lifetimes".

EDIT: Bah looks like they changed it a lot in 4th edition but a few centuries.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

All races that age can live to be very old. Question is how many years are considered "very old", and what passes for "very old" for any given race (which for elves, compared to humans, isn't "very old"... unless we're talking Matron Baenre, but that woman was practically a lich :p).
    Matron Yvonnel Baenre lived to be over 2,000. Her son Gromph is over 900-1,000 and still going strong.

Drizzt is around 200 I believe. He was 80 when he left the underdark, add another 100-150 years and yes indeed he is around 200-250 years old. The average natural drow life-span is 500 according to the rule books but obviously that seems to next to never followed and are even 'youthful' past a thousand.

But as keirkin said, if wizards wants to bring on the Apocalypse they will. Sadly they like to do that more and more with time >.<
    I hope the transition from 4th to 5th is smoother because I don't think I could stomach reading more spell-plague type books. Killing everybody off is not cool!

EDIT - I think they lowered the lifespans but not by much. Drow used to be around 800 average, dwarves 250, elves a little less than drow. You guys would have to consult Zebular about the changes though. He was the one who explained it to me when this topic came up two months ago haha.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Drizzt is around 200 I believe.

182 if we take the current year as 1479 :) what year is it in NWO?

EDIT - I think they lowered the lifespans but not by much. Drow used to be around 800 average, dwarves 250, elves a little less than drow. You guys would have to consult Zebular about the changes though. He was the one who explained it to me when this topic came up two months ago haha.

lowered it by a lot :(

From the 4th edition FR players guide.

Drow who manage to avoid dying a violent death can live well over 200 years, and exceptional members of their race measure their age in centuries.
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would it be wrong to say, "I hope not"?

/ducks
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The only thing that will kill Drizz't is the cash register and right now it's still ringing a very merry little tune, so I doubt he's going away anytime soon. :)
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Cool all thanks for the info :) I get confused on the 4e rules and REALLY hope if 5e rolls out that the game will roll with it. I think I may start reading some of the books with Drizzt in them.

lol @Ryger5! I just applied to your guild :)
  • Options
    krisgkrisg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    drizzt is alive. he has books called neverwinter saga that takes place between the mountain exploding and afterwards
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    castagyre wrote: »
    Would it be wrong to say, "I hope not"?
    Not at all. I'm expecting a full 1/3 of the PCs to be named Drizzt.
    There'll probably be dozens and dozens in each district of Neverwinter at all times.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    *shakes head* People who name themselves Drizzt have no creativity.

I would never do that. My character is going to be Drizzit Dudden.
  • Options
    wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Without posting any spoilers, is the drizzt who is alive now really the same drizzt we grew to know in the past?

I'd say even the characters alignment may have changed at this point...and his personality certainly has. What really defines a character? The name is the same, but the character itself? I'm not sure if he still really is alive.
  • Options
    wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    *shakes head* People who name themselves Drizzt have no creativity.

I would never do that. My character is going to be Drizzit Dudden.

Drizzit is what that little girl called him when he first came to the surface:)

Always thought it was cute.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ^And Dudden is how Ivan Bouldershoulder calls Drizzt's name.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Actually Pikel Bouldershoulder, with all his "oo oi's" and "doo dad's" always had an issue with Drizzt Do'Urden. "Drizzit Dudden! Drizzit Dudden!"

However, yes, the word Drizzit first appears in Sojourn when the little girl mispronounces his name. 'Help it's a Drizzit!'

As for is he the same...that's yet to be seen. Let's just say the years haven't been kind to our kindly drow. Just the fact 4th Ed forced a 100-150 year jump in the timeline killed Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar and Regis. Bruenor was old 150 years ago so...yeah...read to see how ancient of a dwarf proud Bruenor becomes...
    All in all the world's a very lonely place for Drizzt. The companions of the hall are all but gone...and sadly it makes the books a bit irksome to read because he lost about 200 years off his age and acts like a teenage girl again :mad:

He's certainly not the same as he once was...but then again you're all not the same as you were yesterday...or the day before. Every day shapes and changes who we are.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Actually Pikel Bouldershoulder, with all his "oo oi's" and "doo dad's" always had an issue with Drizzt Do'Urden. "Drizzit Dudden! Drizzit Dudden!"

At first, I thought about Pikel too . . . until I pulled out my copy of Passage to Dawn. On their first time going to Spirit Soaring, after Catti-brie introduces herself to Ivan as Bruenor's adopted daughter, Ivan says, and I quote, "I heared o' ye. Ye're Drizzt Dudden." And to my recollection, this is the first time the Bouldershoulder brothers meet Drizzt, so I'm sticking with Ivan said it first :)

Either way, you and your slyness trying to pass off Drizzit Dudden as an original name. Didn't think some of us would recognize it, did ya :p
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    who is drizzt? sounds like when you rip a sheet of paper against a toothed edge

/ducks
    /covers
    /and carries a shotgun
  • Options
    edited February 2013

However, yes, the word Drizzit first appears in Sojourn when the little girl mispronounces his name. 'Help it's a Drizzit!'

As for is he the same...that's yet to be seen. Let's just say the years haven't been kind to our kindly drow. Just the fact 4th Ed forced a 100-150 year jump in the timeline killed Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar and Regis. Bruenor was old 150 years ago so...yeah...read to see how ancient of a dwarf proud Bruenor becomes...
    All in all the world's a very lonely place for Drizzt. The companions of the hall are all but gone...and sadly it makes the books a bit irksome to read because he lost about 200 years off his age and acts like a teenage girl again :mad:

He's certainly not the same as he once was...but then again you're all not the same as you were yesterday...or the day before. Every day shapes and changes who we are.

Yeah, so emo now I expect him to sparkle in sunlight.
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    rofl... no, that makes me sad
  • Options
    ivanthehareivanthehare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    He's a quest giver.

Not to mention, there will probably a bajillion of them running around upon launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    this is where I accept/expect boo's. Reistlin Majere is not forgotten realms, right. But is he DnD, or do I have that mixed up?
  • Options
    tlarsethtlarseth Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The only reason the Drow live to about 500 was due to their houses getting destroyed and battles taking their lives, not to mention how easy it is to loose Lloth's favor, in which someone takes the blame and either gets thrown into the drider pits or is torchered until they finally give out and die after being torchered and healed a few times.

It is not uncommon though for a Drow who watches themselves to live several thousand years.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Raistlin set in the Dragonlance Campaign, not the Forgotten Realms, but indeed Dragonlance is a D&D Themed Campaign.

EDIT - No, actually the lifespan of a drow is officially 500 years. The average life-time of a drow is quite low for obvious reasons, the lifespan however is set to be 500 if they die a natural death. Those numbers seem rarely followed in lore but around two thousand years old is ancient for drow, and I do mean ancient.

Lord Dyrr was the only other drow I know of to live past 2,000 in lore. Most die of old age around a thousand but by 2,000 they are physically weak and stretched much like you would expect of an old human.
  • Options
    tlarsethtlarseth Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    He's a quest giver.

Not to mention, there will probably a bajillion of them running around upon launch.

I am sure there will be some script to prevent certain names such as this from being used, but then there are always around it.
  • Options
    joescyllajoescylla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have not read about Drizzt but heard a good deal about him. Will he be alive during this era of Neverwinter or has he passed?

I hope not; i killed him in BG1 ;)