test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you like a subscription plan?

wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know it has been stated that there will be no subscription plan for NWO, but I'm curious how many players would like that option?

I must admit I'm pretty new to FTP....and i'm still not totally on board with the concept. I've paid for a monthly MMO since Everquest first came out, and often more then one at a time over the years (sometimes even 3). To me, if i'm playing a game more then 15 hours a month, it's worth $15 to me (well as long as i'm enjoying myself while playing it hehe).

Dungeons and Dragons online was my first experience at FTP, and I have maintained a VIP account there still (Even though I've now purchased most of the content as well. I must admit i'm a bit scared by the whole FTP..since I don't really know how much it's going to cost to play the game. Obviously games are making a profit since it's becoming more and more common to see games go FTP, but are players still getting as much value?

Would you want a $15 monthly plan for NWO that gives you access to everything. Enough character slots for every class available (1 slot for each class), every class as it's released and say 30k astral diamonds a month?
Post edited by wulfster42 on

Comments

• Options
    trigger2391trigger2391 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd definately be willing to cough up a monthly VIP subscription.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I cant afford a subscription. I had to scrape for the Guardian pack, If I get a job then I might consider it, but currently hiring jobs are in short supply where I live
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Member Posts: 226 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    As a player of an existing free-to-play game produced by Cryptic, I believe I can answer some of your questions.

To play a free-to-play game you need to understand what the limitations are.

In Champions Online this is a limited number of archetypes (classes), a limited to the amount of standard currency you can hold, some costumes are initially locked (but some of them can unlocked by standard play), a limited number of bank and bag slots, no access to freeform (something very thematic in a superhero game) and various other sundries.

Each Cryptic game tends to have at least three currencies for NO it seems it will be standard (gold, silver, copper?), special (astral diamonds) and for-cash (Zen). You get the first two sets of cash as you play for free and you actually seem to get astral diamonds when your character prays each day. Usually there is a means for the special currency to be traded in-game for the for-cash currency too.

Playing a free-to-play game is essentially about managing your in-game resources and deciding what you want to buy with for-cash currency. Things in the Zen shop are generally things that are tempting to buy but not really necessary.

NO has a number of packages you can buy at the start, which seems to be about giving people bragging rights and privileged starts but also offer longer-term things like increasing the number of character slots you have available.

Seeing that D&D4 itself still appears to have a subscription, allowing people access to the D&D4 gaming material, it is even possible that a subscription will not be available to NO.

I hope this helps. I am not a pay-to-test Beta tester, just an old D&D fan who knows both D&D4 and Cryptic MMOs as well.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have played both sub and Free to play. I cant tell you right now I spend truck loads more on free to play. I just cant help myself. I even buy cosmetic sunglasses ffs.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would rather not have a sub option to be honest, I feel like a game developed from the ground up wouldn't need one. Usually the free to play games that have subs are failed pay 2 play games that went freemium in the hopes to regain cash and attract new players. So I really don't see this game needing one if they offer decent stuff in the cash shop and its popularity spreads a bit more after the more inclusive beta's and open beta starts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well I recognize this game is fully entrenched in the F2P model, I'd love a basic subscription as well, one that provided a nice basic package of features (expanded character slots, Zen allotment etc). It's easier for me to budget this way.

What happens with F2P is I spend like 25 dollars on currency, spend it too fast, get miffed I spent it too fast then not buy currency again.

I have to force myself to budget at home, a simple monthly stipend feature would actually be something I'd indulge in.

But I recognize F2P is the way to go, it's no longer the bastion of a game that can't maintain a subscriber base (*cough* SWTOR *cough*), it's really just the future for MMOs.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aragoh wrote: »
    I would rather not have a sub option to be honest, I feel like a game developed from the ground up wouldn't need one. Usually the free to play games that have subs are failed pay 2 play games that went freemium in the hopes to regain cash and attract new players. So I really don't see this game needing one if they offer decent stuff in the cash shop and its popularity spreads a bit more after the more inclusive beta's and open beta starts.

I agree with you on that. Like I said if I had cash I could consider a subscription, but Id prolly stick with buying what I want
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    As a player of an existing free-to-play game produced by Cryptic, I believe I can answer some of your questions.

To play a free-to-play game you need to understand what the limitations are.

In Champions Online this is a limited number of archetypes (classes), a limited to the amount of standard currency you can hold, some costumes are initially locked (but some of them can unlocked by standard play), a limited number of bank and bag slots, no access to freeform (something very thematic in a superhero game) and various other sundries.

Each Cryptic game tends to have at least three currencies for NO it seems it will be standard (gold, silver, copper?), special (astral diamonds) and for-cash (Zen). You get the first two sets of cash as you play for free and you actually seem to get astral diamonds when your character prays each day. Usually there is a means for the special currency to be traded in-game for the for-cash currency too.

Playing a free-to-play game is essentially about managing your in-game resources and deciding what you want to buy with for-cash currency. Things in the Zen shop are generally things that are tempting to buy but not really necessary.

NO has a number of packages you can buy at the start, which seems to be about giving people bragging rights and privileged starts but also offer longer-term things like increasing the number of character slots you have available.

Seeing that D&D4 itself still appears to have a subscription, allowing people access to the D&D4 gaming material, it is even possible that a subscription will not be available to NO.

I hope this helps. I am not a pay-to-test Beta tester, just an old D&D fan who knows both D&D4 and Cryptic MMOs as well.

Thank you Prootwaddle.

I tried playing CO but could never get into it. I was a City of Heroes/Villans fan and CO just didn't do it for me. I never really played it once it went FTP (loaded it up again but didn't get out of the first city).

I thought I had heard "somewhere" that there was going to be no subscription option at all for NWO..which is why I started this thread mainly. I wanted to see if anyone would miss that.

I kinda like that option to be honest.

@deathssickle, if there was a subscription play you might have spent the $60 on it instead of the guardian pack:)

I think I would have been happier buying 3 months of subscription as a pre-order instead of the founders pack for instance. Although I guess in the end it wouldn't make a big difference.
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really wish this game was just box price + subscription, and included all the reasonable features for that price. As it is, I'm almost certain I'll end up having to spend more money than I would on a regular sub MMO. Inventory space, bank space, character slots, respec costs, companion training, runestone/enchant removal fees, foundry slots . . . all of this stuff is going to add up to being obnoxiously expensive, I have a feeling.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    Well I recognize this game is fully entrenched in the F2P model, I'd love a basic subscription as well, one that provided a nice basic package of features (expanded character slots, Zen allotment etc). It's easier for me to budget this way.

What happens with F2P is I spend like 25 dollars on currency, spend it too fast, get miffed I spent it too fast then not buy currency again.

I have to force myself to budget at home, a simple monthly stipend feature would actually be something I'd indulge in.

But I recognize F2P is the way to go, it's no longer the bastion of a game that can't maintain a subscriber base (*cough* SWTOR *cough*), it's really just the future for MMOs.

It does seem to be going that way...and GRR....still angry about SWTOR (hate wasting money), but for the most part the subscription plan setup worked well for me over the years. FTP worked really well for DDO though, so I can see why so many other games are picking it up now.

I'm sure it will work well for NWO as well, since the game is really quite good. Much better then other games that charge a monthly fee out there right now (in my opinion of course).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I really wish this game was just box price + subscription, and included all the reasonable features for that price. As it is, I'm almost certain I'll end up having to spend more money than I would on a regular sub MMO. Inventory space, bank space, character slots, respec costs, companion training, runestone/enchant removal fees, foundry slots . . . all of this stuff is going to add up to being obnoxiously expensive, I have a feeling.

I hope not!!

I'll probably give myself a limit of $20 a month and stick with it (As long as i'm still playing regularly). I don't really care about cosmetic stuff, and I would be amazed if it'll cost more then that to get what I need. Course I did just buy the founders pack to start off, but I actually got to play the game first (unlike STWOR) so at least I know it's money well spent.

I don't know if i'll ever buy a boxed MMO again without trying it first at this point.
  • Options
    raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    well the reason f2p games started popping up in the first place is, that most players weren't willing to pay 15 bucks a month anymore. they simply felt cheatet, not thinking that 15 bucks was a fair price wfor what they were getting. and i can understand that. 15$/€ ist just a lot of money each month for one game. but i can see where you are coming from. having this puzzle feel in a game, where you feel foreced to buy this and that to have a full game feels weird too. what i don't understand is, why developers/publishers went f2p right away instead of simply reducing the subsciption fees. instead of 15$/€ each month, why not reduce it zu 8? i think they would still earn a lot more money that way than with f2p and a lot more players would consider a subsciption.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    PWE likes to have all their games as F2P games and not the Freemium model that seems to be the way western MMOs like TOR are going. Some MMOs, really restrict the amount of stuff you can do and it is refreshing that Neverwinter is taking this approach. I am of the opinion that if STO and CO didn't have lifetime subscriptions, then they would have completely got rid of subscriptions for all their games.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The problem I have with subs is that I'm pretty much feeling obligated, almost forced, to spend my time playing the game. If I don't play regularly, all that money is purely wasted (for my worth, anyways; Cryptic could of course apply the money to funding new content, etc.).
  • Options
    klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My constructive feedback is I don't care, if the game ticks all my boxes I will pay what they ask. I treat my mmo as a hobby so I am prepared to throw money at it, it's really not that much compared to other hobbies.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    khupa1khupa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 96
    edited February 2013
    My Opinion; even i like P2P for various reasons i know that is not the best way for the company make money. They make a lot more money going F2P... Some People love to spend money on "Looks-Pets-Banners-skin-Races-Etc..."

My example on that was when SWTOR offer the cartel packs, there was players on my guild that got on my opinion "crazy" and charge their credit cards. There was one fellow that spend about $300 on the 1st night and every time a new pact show up he spend more money... I was :confused: but hey is their money not mine.
  • Options
    skinneykrnskinneykrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited February 2013
    There really is no point in posts like these about subscription fees.
    PWE will never have a pay to play game. They've said it millions of times, their games will always, always be Free to Play.
  • Options
    klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    skinneykrn wrote: »
    There really is no point in posts like these about subscription fees.

It's still good to have this discussion though.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    gwenzelthargwenzelthar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Its a free to play model, as much as peeps might want to sub, they wont change their entire marketing strategy. I for one am happy to try the game as they intend to deliver it.
    jonforgottenrealmssmall.jpg
    "I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    klaw10 wrote: »
    My constructive feedback is I don't care, if the game ticks all my boxes I will pay what they ask. I treat my mmo as a hobby so I am prepared to throw money at it, it's really not that much compared to other hobbies.

Im with you.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback:)

Yes, I wasn't saying they should have it, just wondering what everyone's feelings were about subscriptions. It's something I am very used to and have been comfortable with for along time. One massive advantage for FTP is you don't have to shell out the initial $60 or whatever to start playing the game (or alternatively wait long enough for the game to finally have a playable demo).

I will miss subscription models myself. I can easily afford $15 a month, and it was pretty easy to just pay for everything I wanted, when I wanted to play a game and not worry about the rest. I'm sure over time I'll get used to the FTP setup though. I certainly have resisted it on DDO, but I guess NWO is going to finally force me to convert.
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Honestly i don't think i'm going to pay more than 15 euro per month, even considering that i have "expensive tastes" like A.Velazquez said in the podcast. I like to play the game as ftp, paying for the occasional item.

Furthemore, a subscription plan indirectly forces me to play the game even when i don't want, starting what i called the "world of warcraft slavery circle".
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    Honestly i don't think i'm going to pay more than 15 euro per month, even considering that i have "expensive tastes" like A.Velazquez said in the podcast. I like to play the game as ftp, paying for the occasional item.

Furthemore, a subscription plan indirectly forces me to play the game even when i don't want, starting what i called the "world of warcraft slavery circle".

I know about the whole "paying when your not playing" or even being almost forced into playing when your tired of a game, because you already paid for it etc.

I dealt with that along time ago by simply not worrying about it. If I enjoy a game I play it, if I play a game I keep paying for it. If I get tired of a game I stop playing and if I don't go back before the subscription renewal happens, I cancel my subscription.

I do end up paying a month or two extra sometimes, but for the most part that has worked out for me.

I have never paid for a lifetime plan ($200 etc). I would have made out great if one was offered for DDO..but other then that no other MMO has kept my interest long enough to be worth $200 so far. City of heroes/villians was probably the second closest.

For FTP I can see how you can quickly spend alot of money all up front. I've been playing MMOs for along time (many of them) and it's quite common for an MMO to keep my interest for a month, but then quickly get old by the second month etc. I'm a bit leery of falling into a trap of spending hundreds of dollars all up front only to find out that a month or so later, i'm bored with the game already.

I don't think that will happen with NWO....but then again I've played maybe 10-12 hours of it so far. I guess that is the "scary" party of the FTP model really....it's much easier to make a large investment and then regret it later.
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »
    For FTP I can see how you can quickly spend alot of money all up front. I've been playing MMOs for along time (many of them) and it's quite common for an MMO to keep my interest for a month, but then quickly get old by the second month etc. I'm a bit leery of falling into a trap of spending hundreds of dollars all up front only to find out that a month or so later, i'm bored with the game already.

This is actually the reason why i didn't buy and founder's pack. I don't know what to expect from this game, since the last two big failures in the last year (D3 and GW2), then i'll walk into the game, as we say in Italy, "with lead's feet" (slowly and cautiously :D)
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »
    Would you like a subscription plan?
    No, I would not like it.
  • Options
    ivanthehareivanthehare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I dunno if a sub would really be worth it, to be honest.
  • Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Depending on how important the cash shop is in NO sways my vote.

I'd prefer a subscription however if there is no real need to force any money out I'm game for free to play.
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Before they announced that the game was built f2p from the ground up I was expecting a hybrid model like CO or STO. I was completely prepared to buy a Lifetime Subscription. I have more than gotten my money's worth in CO.

But, since the game has been designed as f2p I think it would be a mistake to tack on a subscription model now. I also think that it will be much easier to earn ZEN for the cash shop in-game in NW than in CO. Mainly because the Auction House uses AD instead of gold. That makes it much easier to get AD. The hundreds of globals I earn on the AH in CO will instead be AD. If, unlike CO now, they have real item crafting then that gives even more opportunity to earn AD on the AH. And these AD are already refined AD on top of the 24k you can refine each day.

As far as spending actual cash on ZEN, I will do so using the approach I use in CO. Every time they have a ZEN sale (usually 15% more ZEN with every ZEN purchase) I buy ZEN and let it sit in my PWE wallet. Then, every time they have a sale in the store I buy whatever I can that's on discount, thereby stacking the two. The discounts are usually 10% and they usually rotate what is on discount with each sale.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic would have to address some very serious issues for me to be willing to pay a subscription to the game, but if they did? Sure.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Agreed. Since they already built the game to be a f2p, then they would have difficulty implementing a funtioning subscription-system. Would you get a set amount of astral diamonds? what about specialty items?

If they can, fine. But I like the f2p model, and hope that they iron out the details. If we keep getting pay to win games, then I would suggest returning to a subscription. But I view this as an experiment, one that I hope works.