test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter isn't getting enough love

Comments

• jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So a little over 2 mil in box sales with the vast majority of people ( just look at all of those dead servers) no longer even bothering is utterly destroying a game that just increased it's dev team again and has at least six districts full every time I log in???

Wow...go figure....:rolleyes:

Six districts...

...in home zones...

...capped at 200 people....

As far as the dev teams, GW2 has a dev team of over 300 people (as in, more than allowed in an STO zone). STO has had a dev team as small as 15 people, according to Dstahl.

Yeah, that's what I'd call "utterly destroying it."
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    viktorbg wrote: »
    Dude i just gave an example of two play-to-free games that have huge success without selling any weps nor in-game currency, do you think Neverwinter will last longer than those two? This aint 2006 with all chinese MMOs milking money from gamers...

Selling "game money" which is astral diamonds and weps with unique stat is pure Pay-to-Win.

That is one opinion, another opinion would be that since you can earn Ad in game without ever spending a penny and even use those to buy Zen, that it isn't P2W And who says that every game has to follow the same model? It's pretty damn simple if it isn't something you prefer to do, don't participate.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Six districts...

...in home zones...

As far as the dev teams, GW2 has a dev team of over 300 people (as in, more than allowed in an STO zone). STO has had a dev team as small as 15 people, according to Dstahl.

My, my...your hatred and loathing of Cryptic is borderline obsessive...I looked over your history and you have not said one single constructive or remotely positive thing about this game or cryptic ever.

nyghoma wrote: »
    I agree. The new box sale benchmark at launch for a successful game is around a million (e.g. AoC, SWTOR, GW2, etc). That was set about 4 years ago.

Did you actually list AoC and SWTOR?

Bwahahahahhaha
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    double post
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • edward37edward37 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Neverwinter will probably be the sleeper hit of the year
  • babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mosnacky01 wrote: »

Bwahahahahhaha

No idea what the main argument is here between you two, but just popping in to say that SWTOR and even AoC did get a lot of box sales. Not pulling you up on player retention though, which wasn't so good (although not like SWTOR dropped to less than 100K subs ever, so still decent for every recently released game that is not WoW).
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • mcgtheelitemcgtheelite Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    First post, came from the Escapist's stream. Game looks decent. Other than them talking about it I've never heard anything about it nor seen any footage. Free to play games can do good things, but if no one knows about it then it won't drive revenue and live long enough to be enjoyed.

When you bring up sub based games remember that box sales don't mean anything as the sub for 2 months usually pays for it, and they always include 30+ days in the box. Hopefully i'll see you guys around, take it easy.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Six districts...

...in home zones...

When was the last time you read anything posted by the STO dev team? Dstahl has been saying vastly different things to what I've seen you post in a few threads concerning their size and level of success:

"Despite what some may think of our efforts, STO is growing and constantly improving as is evidenced by the fact that we're now the #1 game for PW in North America and my staff is now twice the size going into Season 8 that it was a year ago."
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    SWTOR dropped to maybe 300k subs before f2p- and since f2p has been booming, and it shows considering the devs are slowly doing things again after months of not existing.

Successful for how much money and time and the name BW being behind it? Well, actually- probably yes even to that, it's at least becoming profitable due mostly to cartel gambling boxes. Successful compared to most other mmos that aren't WoW? It still has one of the largest mmo communities... so again, ya.

It's called unsuccessful simply because it didn't live up to the extreme fan made hype of 'this game will beat WoW!'- so the moment it didn't beat WoW- considered a failure.

As for why people are hating on Neverwinter- probably because it is being marketted as a D&D game when it has shown nothing that resembles what we expect from the depth of D&D, and instead looks like Gauntlet set in the Forgotten Realms.

Now- remember this game is pre-release. Yes, there are people who just like to hate, who want games to fail, etc... But, the entire point of beta isn't to brown nose- it's to criticize the game, find bugs, and test areas. Praise spamming the game- sure, let's them know what you like, what's going well- but the argument that 'haters gonna hate' can't be simply applied anyone says something poor about a game- if the game isn't providing the expected experience, that needs to be known.

What doesn't help is when there's a fire burning- and instead of telling Cryptic 'hey, there's a fire burning, might want to look at that', fanboys say 'if you don't like the fire go f yourself'.

A D&D action RPG that is getting negative attention for not being big on action due to the immobility of combat, and is being widely slammed by D&D fans for lacking customization and anything that makes D&D what it is beyond a few 'skins' of abilities and a pretty appearance. That might be a problem- what exactly is their market if it's not any of the people who are interested in what the game is being advertised as?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    When was the last time you read anything posted by the STO dev team? Dstahl has been saying vastly different things to what I've seen you post in a few threads concerning their size and level of success:

"Despite what some may think of our efforts, STO is growing and constantly improving as is evidenced by the fact that we're now the #1 game for PW in North America and my staff is now twice the size going into Season 8 that it was a year ago."

I was referring to his admission of the horrendous state if Cryptic and STO after PW purchased them.

Also, 'most successful PW game in America' =/= 'successful game'
  • krisgkrisg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Those new builds require new classes, since your class IS your build. Sure, you may be able to change up a couple of skills for your use, but it's not going to be anywhere near as situational or dynamic as, say, Guild Wars.

As far as skill point allocation, only two stats will make any use of additional skill points - the ones that Cryptic has determined are for your class. Putting them anywhere else is a waste of a skill point.

It's DnD in name only. It is not based on a modified DnD ruleset of any edition - it's based on a Champions Online reskin.

Their "action combat" is just a refined version of STO's "shooter mode." It is nothing more than a different take on the same MMO elements.

If it doesn't appeal to gamers when it goes live, it will be solely because WE'VE BEEN HERE TWICE BEFORE WITH CRYPTIC. Nothing they've said or shown has told anyone that this will be different from Star Trek Online or Champions Online in any meaningful way. THOSE games didn't garner the appeal of gamers because of how horrible they were AS GAMES.

Could this be different? I certainly hope so. I've given Cryptic a lot of money, and would actually like something to come of it that I can truly enjoy. However, they haven't shown it to be different, and that's what will cost them.

lol you know you should play this game first before you try before saying its based off of champions online reskin. and it IS based on a modified version of dnd 4e. you should read up on it before speaking as if you know what you are talking about. i dont mean no disrespect truly but you seem to just be giving you opinion and trying to make it seem as if it is facts. also there action combat seems more closely realted to TERAs combat in my opinion. and also comparing this game to either co or sto is kind of foolish. both of those games were made to be p2p games and failed. this game was never intended to be p2p. they ddidnt garner the appeal of gamers because people didnt want to pay a subscription game which they both were. wonderful thing about nwo is if u dont like it u dont got to spend a dime on it
  • nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    My, my...your hatred and loathing of Cryptic is borderline obsessive...I looked over your history and you have not said one single constructive or remotely positive thing about this game or cryptic ever.

Bwahahahahhaha

Yes I did. AoC broke a million and SWTOR 1.7 mil. Most games make their profit the 1st month of launch, then money dips significantly. Deluxe editions, lifetime subs, product ties ins all happen then. Why do you think companies like EA are successful? They're only in it til launch.

Now whether the game survived as a success, now that's a different issue. I agree, post launch both of those games turned tragic.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.
  • nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited February 2013

It's called unsuccessful simply because it didn't live up to the extreme fan made hype of 'this game will beat WoW!'- so the moment it didn't beat WoW- considered a failure.

People forget the 2 biggest reasons for WoWs inflated amount of subs....minimal system requirements to run, and Asian market.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.
  • krisgkrisg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People forget the 2 biggest reasons for WoWs inflated amount of subs....minimal system requirements to run, and Asian market.

and its super old now.people who have been playing for years constantly compare wow to newer games. they dont relize that no matter how excited they get they will never be able to look past wow's shadow when they compare it to a game theve been playing for years.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    NW isn't getting enough love?

It could be worse. It could be their sister game, Champions Online. 4 patches in 3 months? Where STO gets a patch every single week? It's almost as bad as CoX, and they turned off the servers 3 months ago.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ill be writing a few more articles soon
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    viktorbg wrote: »
    Dude i just gave an example of two play-to-free games that have huge success without selling any weps nor in-game currency, do you think Neverwinter will last longer than those two? This aint 2006 with all chinese MMOs milking money from gamers...

Selling "game money" which is astral diamonds and weps with unique stat is pure Pay-to-Win.
    Whatever! This is a FREE GAME and there is no payment needed if you don't want:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJg9SSIqPlo
    See that video it explains economics in detail. This is a MMO and not some 3D shooter FPS game like Team Fortress! Developers are working a lot since they still will release more races and lots of classes after the release.

As of quality/cost Neverwinter is unbeatable. The only thing that really MUST be payed with money is BETA access. However I think that is fair since that allows fans to support the game and rightfully give them privilieged first access.

Pay to win LOL. I have payed more then 500 euro when I have played WOW. I don't need to pay for this game, but I might buy something VOLUNTARY if I want so! However since I am hardcore player I can easily do the long way earn Astral Diamonds and buy ZEN with AD or buy directly from AD vendors with AD.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Ignore the haters. They don't turn people off of a game (unless the reader is really stupid). Most will log in and try it for themselves. If they like it, they will stay. It's that simple. I've heard those people chanting doom and gloom (and honestly, I see the same user names) on every forum you can imagine.

You should check out the elder scrolls online and see the hype around it. People are very excited about that game so your argument is invalid.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

that's why 90% of the pro guild are european (germans+swedish) and americans. Wow had huge succes because it's a good game that was capable to reinvent itself just look what happened to the skills in the latest patch. It's like another game

Let me all ask you this. Why should we love nwo ?
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    You should check out the elder scrolls online and see the hype around it. People are very excited about that game so your argument is invalid.

"Yeah, but ...... can you Tumble?"

This looks like a standard fantasy grindfest, to me. Level up to max, the end. At least I'll have more incentive to play with the Foundry.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You should check out the elder scrolls online and see the hype around it. People are very excited about that game so you're argument is invalid.
    I am not going into some argument Neverwinter vs Elder Scrolls. These are completely different MMO:s. I am not Elder Scrolls Online expert, but I do know that Elder Scrolls games are sandbox games. I have never liked those games. I played Elders Scrolls 3 and Oblivion and regretted deeply that I bought Oblivion. I never even considered buying Skyrim after that.

Neverwinter you can see the Quest path clearly. There is no getting lost or be confused where to go! Ok there are hidden doors, but they are not game stopping. I also don't feel completely lost or annoyed like I felt while playing Elder Scrolls games!

At end of the day it is apples vs oranges. Some people like Elder Scrolls sanbox games, but I prefer Neverwinter!
  • devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    I am not going into some argument Neverwinter vs Elder Scrolls. These are completely different MMO:s. I am not Elder Scrolls Online expert, but I do know that Elder Scrolls games are sandbox games. I have never liked those games. I played Elders Scrolls 3 and Oblivion and regretted deeply that I bought Oblivion. I never even considered buying Skyrim after that.

Neverwinter you can see the Quest path clearly. There is no getting lost or be confused where to go! Ok there are hidden doors, but they are not game stopping. I also don't feel completely lost or annoyed like I felt while playing Elder Scrolls games!

At end of the day it is apples vs oranges. Some people like Elder Scrolls sanbox games, but I prefer Neverwinter!

Then don't, because the quote was never directed to you.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

GW2 has a dev team of over 300 people

Really GW2 has that many people on its dev team? I guess no matter how many people you throw at a dev team a game can still whack giant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    edited February 2013
    But, the entire point of beta isn't to brown nose- it's to criticize the game, find bugs, and test areas.

This would be a valid point if even a small percentage of people complaining had played the game. It isn't. The vast majority the people complaining have watched videos and that is it. I can tell you with first hand knowledge that watching videos doesn't even come close to giving you the feel of the game. I am all for constructive criticism but very little of that is happening on these forums. It is just mostly people who have not actually played the game bitching about what they have not really experienced, whining that the game is p2w, and complaining about the price of the founders packs.

Now if that is what they want to do, great let them have fun, but don't compare that to what a beta is for.

Oh and there is a huge difference beside criticizing and constructive criticizing, what we see here is mostly just criticizing.
    edited February 2013
    that's why 90% of the pro guild are european (germans+swedish) and americans. Wow had huge succes because it's a good game that was capable to reinvent itself just look what happened to the skills in the latest patch. It's like another game

Let me all ask you this. Why should we love nwo ?

Just a quick question no offense intended, just curious. Is English your first language?
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    This would be a valid point if even a small percentage of people complaining had played the game. It isn't. The vast majority the people complaining have watched videos and that is it. I can tell you with first hand knowledge that watching videos doesn't even come close to giving you the feel of the game. I am all for constructive criticism but very little of that is happening on these forums. It is just mostly people who have not actually played the game bitching about what they have not really experienced, whining that the game is p2w, and complaining about the price of the founders packs.

Now if that is what they want to do, great let them have fun, but don't compare that to what a beta is for.

Oh and there is a huge difference beside criticizing and constructive criticizing, what we see here is mostly just criticizing.

Highlighted the important bit. Can you prove that to be true or is it just you making something up?
    edited February 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    Highlighted the important bit. Can you prove that to be true or is it just you making something up?

Read it for yourself. From reading the forums and looking at people who are complaining seeing which ones have said they were in the beta and which ones weren't I could add them all up and prove it yes, am I going to no. It is not worth my time to provide you with the proof you can see for yourself. Read and absorb what you read. Just so I am clear I will rephrase:

The vast majority the people complaining (not making constructive criticism, complaining) have watched videos and/or read about the game that is it, not actually played the game themselves.
    edited February 2013
    Read it for yourself. From reading the forums and looking at people who are complaining seeing which ones have said they were in the beta and which ones weren't I could add them all up and prove it yes, am I going to no. It is not worth my time to provide you with the proof you can see for yourself. Read and absorb what you read. Just so I am clear I will rephrase:

The vast majority the people complaining (not making constructive criticism, complaining) have watched videos and/or read about the game that is it, not actually played the game themselves.

When roughly translated: I have no proof and was merely exaggerating but admitting to this would injure my pride, so I won't!

Also, for all I know you don't have beta access either so who are you to say wether the game is truly better than they say by your own logic?
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Really GW2 has that many people on its dev team? I guess no matter how many people you throw at a dev team a game can still whack giant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Ha! That is Sig worthy! well done.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ufdamayaufdamaya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    What I am seeing is a large number of people that like the game and making a few posts each. I see a very small number of people with many negative posts. Some didn't even play the game.