test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loot System needs a tweak

enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I don't mind Need/Greed/Pass because if you always get loot then you might not wanna repeat a dungeon which overall shortens you time playing the game. However, Need should grey-out when its an Item you cannot use. I've played enough MMOs to know you will get screwed and potentially rage quit after the 100th time some No Name clicks need on your Rogue gear when he is a Fighter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by enderlin50 on

Comments

• sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    I don't mind Need/Greed/Pass because if you always get loot then you might not wanna repeat a dungeon which overall shortens you time playing the game. However, Need should grey-out when its an Item you cannot use. I've played enough MMOs to know you will get screwed and potentially rage quit after the 100th time some No Name clicks need on your Rogue gear when he is a Fighter.

Ya seen it happen to many times.. Lose gear to the wrong class that was for your class.. Kinda sucks get pissed after a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pyriel7pyriel7 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This issue definitely needs to get looked at and it's gotta get fixed!!!

If people are able to roll on loot that they can't ever use, there will be griefing! Most people are mature enough to think before acting, and sometimes you just may hit that "need" button by accident, which isn't a biggie if you can trade the stuff within the group for a while after looting it. But there are people out there that will roll "need" just to pee others off.

If i can't ever use an item, i shouldn't be able to "need" on it.
    Period.

Edit: Typos fixed, i think.
  • ivanthehareivanthehare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I never really understood why there was both Need and Greed. It should really just be Vote or Pass, that way it's up to the dice roll instead of a group of people hitting greed and then one <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> who can't use the item anyway hits need.

I suppose you could always ask to trade or buy it off him, but who knows that THAT would cost.
  • quetumquetum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Totally agree. I've seen so many threads on this already. Need/Greed is by far the most unpopular feature of this game and should be removed.
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Should not allow "need" unless equipment is character appropriate.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I never really understood why there was both Need and Greed. It should really just be Vote or Pass, that way it's up to the dice roll instead of a group of people hitting greed and then one <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> who can't use the item anyway hits need.

I suppose you could always ask to trade or buy it off him, but who knows that THAT would cost.

The reason there is need and greed should be obvious. However I will explain it. You are in a party of 5 a 1 GW 2 GFW a DC and a CM. A piece of gear drops for the GW, he already has that exact piece of gear, so to not be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> he clicks greed because he doesn't need it. If everyone else then clicks greed as they don't need it then every has an equal chance to get the loot to vendor it for cash even for untradeable loot. I prefer to just put the jackasses on ignore and not group with them rather than limiting the whole system because some jackasses exist.
    edited February 2013

To me this is a much more appropriate solution than getting rid of the need/greed system.
  • firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yeah, this definitely needs to happen.
  • veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2013

^^ This. :)

Rigas
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    The reason there is need and greed should be obvious. However I will explain it. You are in a party of 5 a 1 GW 2 GFW a DC and a CM. A piece of gear drops for the GW, he already has that exact piece of gear, so to not be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> he clicks greed because he doesn't need it. If everyone else then clicks greed as they don't need it then every has an equal chance to get the loot to vendor it for cash even for untradeable loot. I prefer to just put the jackasses on ignore and not group with them rather than limiting the whole system because some jackasses exist.
    What's interesting is that WoW apparently had a roll/pass system way back when (long before I started playing), but it was changed to need/greed/pass for exactly the reason you stated. Unfortunately, the system falls apart when 1) rolling need entails only material gain (i.e., your character has nothing to lose by doing so), and 2) the game's population is big and/or dynamic enough that social censure becomes meaningless. As a result, while N/G/P may have provided a short-term fix in WoW, today there's no shortage of complaints about ninja looters in that or any other N/G/P game.

As for /ignoring people and moving on, that's certainly any player's prerogative, but in WoW, DCUO, and SWTOR I pretty much gave up on the idea of ever getting loot in a PUG or DF group. No matter how many people I /ignored, there was always at least one chump in every group who rolled need on everything. If I "played nice," I usually got nothing. Literally.

I was disappointed to see N/G/P make its way into this game, especially coming from a developer studio that used other, more equitable systems in the past. The only thing that could be worse loot-wise is if gear is also bind-on-acquire.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Totally agree with NO NEED if you can not use it.
  • l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    +1

10 char
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    therealted wrote: »
    What's interesting is that WoW apparently had a roll/pass system way back when (long before I started playing), but it was changed to need/greed/pass for exactly the reason you stated. Unfortunately, the system falls apart when 1) rolling need entails only material gain (i.e., your character has nothing to lose by doing so), and 2) the game's population is big and/or dynamic enough that social censure becomes meaningless. As a result, while N/G/P may have provided a short-term fix in WoW, today there's no shortage of complaints about ninja looters in that or any other N/G/P game.

As for /ignoring people and moving on, that's certainly any player's prerogative, but in WoW, DCUO, and SWTOR I pretty much gave up on the idea of ever getting loot in a PUG or DF group. No matter how many people I /ignored, there was always at least one chump in every group who rolled need on everything. If I "played nice," I usually got nothing. Literally.

I agree with all of this, but it is worth noting that N/G/P, while the default is not the only system in place in NWO, but I'm not sure how this will work for dungeon PUGs(for out of dungeon PUGs its party leader set, so easy enough to control.)
    I was disappointed to see N/G/P make its way into this game, especially coming from a developer studio that used other, more equitable systems in the past. The only thing that could be worse loot-wise is if gear is also bind-on-acquire.

Some gear is bind-on-acquire, but from what I have seen its only the chest rewards at the ends of quests, which are individualized, not the random loot drops throughout.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • argetbaenargetbaen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited February 2013

In WoW N/G/P was changed again for the Dungeon Finder, so that you could not Need on anything that was not usable by class (though not by spec, meaning a Holy Paladin could still roll on Str plate). This eliminated SOME of the issue, but just means that anyone that wants to be an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anyway, can only do so on pieces of gear they qualify for. It limits the problem, but does not solve it.
  • luffiyluffiy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree with the "no need unless you are that class".

Greed is enough for someone who cannot equip the gear. Even if it's BOE they should not be collecting gear for alts when someone in that specific instance needs that piece. They can go run that instance again with their alt if they want to gear their alt.
  • edward37edward37 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There are many reasons why you would want a piece of item which isnt compatible with your class.

First of which being the rewards of dismantling such an item for a crafting system. Or if the party doesnt have the class for which the item is associated, then you would want to at least vendor it, or at most give to another guild member that can use it, if BoE, or simply just to sell on an auction house.
    edited February 2013

No, I totally get the theory behind it, but it runs on the assumption that people are not dicks. An assumption that any person who has had human interaction at all in their lives knows to not be true. Take you, for example, who feel the need to "explain the obvious".
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013

While I agree with the sentiment, TC's suggestion would fix it for the most part - with TC's suggestion, the only person who could Need an item is someone actually able to slot it. The only way it could be abused would be if they could slot it, didn't actually need it for whatever reason, THEN did what you did. However, since the chances of such are somewhat low, I'd call it a wash, personally.
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    edward37 wrote: »
    There are many reasons why you would want a piece of item which isnt compatible with your class.

First of which being the rewards of dismantling such an item for a crafting system. Or if the party doesnt have the class for which the item is associated, then you would want to at least vendor it, or at most give to another guild member that can use it, if BoE, or simply just to sell on an auction house.

Yes, that's why you'd WANT an item you can't equip. However, in no way does any of that mean you NEED it. Which is the idea behind TC's suggestion that the only gear anyone can click Need on is gear their character would be able to slot at some point.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I didnt play in group during last beta. Is gold distributed to all party members?

Another problem i see is that gear is unknow until its ID. Its hard to know if the item you are rolling for is any good to you even if you can use it. From video streams i have also seen people in groups stop fighting or helping their team mates to "camp" the chests...wondering why they were doing that?
    edited February 2013
    No, I totally get the theory behind it, but it runs on the assumption that people are not dicks. An assumption that any person who has had human interaction at all in their lives knows to not be true. Take you, for example, who feel the need to "explain the obvious".

You said you see no reason. I gave you a reason. If it was obvious you should have phrased what you said differently because there was an obvious reason. If I wanted to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to you I would have been extremely obvious about it.
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just needs the same option TERA has, something they also added in beta and turned on by default - Class based loot.

It prevents need rolls on loot not for your class.

Preferably make it an option tho, as if your running with friends who have lots of alts, you may wish to just let whoever take the loot as most of it is unbound.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Tweaking N/G/P to force fit roles probably wouldn't be any easier than just making some other system the default (e.g. round robin or random distribution, both of which Cryptic has done in other games). In addition, if they make the end-of-quest loot system more universal, the problem is solved completely. All the pieces are there, apparently - just put 'em together.

The whole N/G/P thing just sticks in my craw, no matter how it might be tweaked. It hints of a design philosophy that is either just lazy, or that's geared towards tricking players into staying in the game for reasons other than simple enjoyment of the game. Just my opinion, of course.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
    edited February 2013
    You said you see no reason. I gave you a reason. If it was obvious you should have phrased what you said differently because there was an obvious reason. If I wanted to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to you I would have been extremely obvious about it.

I have no doubt. But more to the point, I didn't really ask for a reason. I stated that I don't understand why we still do Need and Greed, because Greed is the same as Pass. Not in coding or theory, but in practice.

I'd be pretty cool with a greyed out Need roll for gear that's not for your class, though.
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

I heartily agree with this statement, otherwise just remove the greed and pass buttons, because most players (from my experience) will never use them.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
    edited February 2013
    vernednd wrote: »
    I heartily agree with this statement, otherwise just remove the greed and pass buttons, because most players (from my experience) will never use them.

Cheers!

You know I would be seriously curious to see some real collected data on this. I wonder if it is as bad as peoples perception is of it. I am not saying you are not right, maybe I have just been extremely lucky and not run into the overwhelming tide of jackasses in MMOs.
    In pickup groups this type of jackassery only happened to me in the minority of groups I was in. I see many people complaining that this is a huge problem, but it has just never gotten under my skin I guess and I have been lucky with pugs.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would just copy the Need and Greed system from WoW or make something similar to that system. Basicly you can only Need if your class can use that item, otherwise you can only Greed.
    edited February 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    I would just copy the Need and Greed system from WoW or make something similar to that system. Basicly you can only Need if your class can use that item, otherwise you can only Greed.

Been suggested in this thread
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hello All,

Ah....yes, the loot system. Although I haven't played NWO yet I don't like the sound of this all ready. The way I see it, and this is just MHO, if there is going to be a loot system like this I think the Devs would be further ahead if they just put " X " amount of loot in the chest and give the party leader the joy of handing/trading it to all the members in the group.

Otherwise put loot in the chest(s) for each individual and let them decide if they want to hand it over, via a pull down menu on the item in the chest. Sounds like another game I know, DDO.

WOW!!! NWO just started, and PWE is making everyone become a bunch of cut-throats all ready.

Yikes!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Been suggested in this thread

So? If more people comment on it then we can make it clear to the devs that it's the loot system most players want in the game.