test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leveling speed will be the same as beta once launch arrives.

skinneykrnskinneykrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As title states, I know a lot of people thought and have said that the leveling speed during the first beta was sped up but that isn't true.
According to the most recent article from Gamefront: "I was frankly amazed at how quickly I achieved level 21 during the weekend. It took me maybe 9 hours tops. I later confirmed with Cryptic CEO Jack Emmert that this is how it’s going to be in the final release of the game, not just accelerated for beta."

Here's the article: http://www.gamefront.com/neverwinter-beta-weekend-1-impressions-fast-fun-and-addictive/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Ok Im 1 of those people that think taking things from other games and putting them into 1 game is a good idea, because lets face it, since the beginning of games till now it is very unlikely u can come up with anything new. I mean why try to reinvent a pizza? Its good like it is just put the things on it that u like, and there it is. But the leveling speed that I have seen is like GW2, and that to me is not good. Leveling should mean something, not everything but certainly something. Alot of the things GW2 had seemed good at 1st, like being able to farm the same node, or fast leveling and no trinity system, but seeing it in action was not good to me.

1. leveling to fast= maxing out all characters, or if u r like me only the 1 u like(rogue) and being done pretty much

2. farming the same node seemed good but man did that 1 game based auction house and farming system make the
    economy suck really bad cause there was just to much of everything ie. people like me that like to farm and sell
    couldnt make any real in game currency.

3. and of coarse the No trinity thing sucked really bad, But the game designers r smart there thankfully cause no trinity for
    me= no play Good going by the way on that move. =)

4. DONT EVEN GET ME GOIN ON GW2'S <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> RNG SYSTEM, AND DIMINISHED RETURNS.

Any way thats my 2 cents on the matter, (if it aint broke dont fix it) but i agree with the creator of this topic leveling seemed to me to b way to fast, and no i am not asking for a grind, but...... if it is worth playin then it is worth a little effort isnt it.......
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited February 2013
    skinneykrn wrote: »
    As title states, I know a lot of people thought and have said that the leveling speed during the first beta was sped up but that isn't true.
    According to the most recent article from Gamefront: "I was frankly amazed at how quickly I achieved level 21 during the weekend. It took me maybe 9 hours tops. I later confirmed with Cryptic CEO Jack Emmert that this is how it’s going to be in the final release of the game, not just accelerated for beta."

Here's the article: http://www.gamefront.com/neverwinter-beta-weekend-1-impressions-fast-fun-and-addictive/

And another quote from the same paragraph: "...Emmert also mentioned that leveling rate slows down the higher you go."

Pretty much like every game I've ever played.
  • popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Interesting. My question based on that is... What's the point of having levels if it's that fast?
  • kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    I don't know that I'd mind the faster leveling as long as the content once we get maxed is engaging. Hopefully the foundry will play at least a part in providing that engaging content once at max level. Only time will tell.
  • aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I already noticed leveling start to slow down once I got into the 20s so I assume 30-60 will be a bit slower than 1-30 was. I don't mind leveling fast, I don't like games where I cannot level alts because it takes so long to level one character I just cannot be bothered to ever level again. If they want me to buy more character slots the best way to do this for me is to make leveling a faster pace so I actually want to level multiple characters and classes and especially races once they come out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Sorry I can't quote where the head GM saying it was increased XP, sinmce she was answering this in game to many other users. I was too busy with things like the blue screen, empty deves...and occasionally playing :p

But yes, XP was increased and is not at its normal rate. If Melanderi wants to discuss that or any Dev besides the head GM for that manner, they are free to do so.

Or not.

So Jack, boss of the Cryptic Kingdom, says it at it's normal rate.
    Meanwhile in-game
    A Dev said it was boosted for Beta testing.
    Sounds Like we need our Com Manager for a final ruling.
    August 10th, 2008 - At Gen Con Jack Emmert says: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content."
  • agrava1nagrava1n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hello,

I'm new here. I just wanted to ask what is the lvl cap in this game? As OP said, leveling is kinda fast, but maybe the game is oriented more on the end game? And maybe levels don't mean that much, as you acquire skills later in game? This is just rough guess tho.
  • skinneykrnskinneykrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited February 2013
    kadlena wrote: »
    And another quote from the same paragraph: "...Emmert also mentioned that leveling rate slows down the higher you go."

Pretty much like every game I've ever played.

Yep, I'm sure the leveling rate slows down at higher levels. (Like pretty much all games out there.)
    I was only bringing into light that the leveling rate during the beta will in-fact be the leveling rate during the launch as well because some people were confused and thought the leveling rate was increased for the sake of beta.

Just wanted to clear things up to those who were confused. :D
  • talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Yeah but like i said Aragoh the flip side of that is people like me that dont like leveling alts cause they dont like playing every class, so the people like me just level fast finish with there character to fast and then dont even log on, and give PWE the chance to make any money from us cause we waited for years for a game that we got done with in 2 weeks. which like i said happened with alot of people in GW2... So really that is a 2 sided street there homey. Just sayin, thats all.
  • granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In a lot of games of past, that grind from 50 to 60 is two or even three times longer than getting to 50.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    agrava1n wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm new here. I just wanted to ask what is the lvl cap in this game? As OP said, leveling is kinda fast, but maybe the game is oriented more on the end game? And maybe levels don't mean that much, as you acquire skills later in game? This is just rough guess tho.

Level cap for now is Paragon level - i.e. equivalent of lvl 20 in PnP. As the multiplier is 3, it means lvl 60 in game. AT LAUNCH.

Later, if the cap remains same, epic path will be included which means PnP lvl 30 as ca. This will translate as lvl 90 if multiplier remains same.
  • popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aragoh wrote: »
    I already noticed leveling start to slow down once I got into the 20s so I assume 30-60 will be a bit slower than 1-30 was. I don't mind leveling fast, I don't like games where I cannot level alts because it takes so long to level one character I just cannot be bothered to ever level again. If they want me to buy more character slots the best way to do this for me is to make leveling a faster pace so I actually want to level multiple characters and classes and especially races once they come out.

That might make sense but with that same logic people are less likely to spend money on most items from lvl 1-59 since they will outlevel those items within a day or two.
  • fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought a Dev said that xp was boosted during the Beta weekend, that that leveling speed would not be it's normal rate.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i hope that was normal rate ,it will slow dawn a lot later btw and there will be other things to do i dont wont asian grinder there is tons of asian grinders f2p games if they would have exp rate as some of u wont this game would have little players and profit since none wonts to play asian grinder games
    do wont game where to reach cap u need to play whole days for long time?
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought a Dev said that xp was boosted during the Beta weekend, that that leveling speed would not be it's normal rate.
    Excellent news! If you play 40 hours/week it should take many months to maximize a character at least! Well I don't mean levelling time has to take so long time but then starts the ENDGAME at max level and it should take a looooong time before you can max a character in power.
  • fuerte3fuerte3 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Leveling has to be fast in the beginning because it would be boring to use the single ability for hours. You get more abilities with levels.
  • fuerte3fuerte3 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    But they should still adjust the difficulty level, now it was too easy.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    skinneykrn wrote: »
    According to the most recent article from Gamefront: "I was frankly amazed at how quickly I achieved level 21 during the weekend. It took me maybe 9 hours tops. I later confirmed with Cryptic CEO Jack Emmert that this is how it
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If they do intend it to be the normal rate, it gives me concerns due to the experiences from STO's fast leveling. It should not be a race to get to max level. That's what solo games are for. More fun when you actually get to experience being at each level, not slash, swing, kill, oh I leveled 10 times.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, say it takes the rate that it did on beta.

Level 1-10 was 1 hour (about 5 minutes from 1-6).
    Level 11-20 was 3 hours.
    Level 21-30 was 5 hours.

So, seeing that level increase, and exponentially increasing it, we see:

Level 31-40 may be 7 hours.
    Level 41-50 may be 9 hours.
    Level 51-60 may be 11 hours.

So, about 30 hours played to get to max level. Granted, I went a little more slowly to report issues, got lost in Protectors a couple of times, made unnecessary trips trying to find a quest giver.
    edited February 2013
    Well if what u say is true then as far as I can see it, this game may not last long for me. Heck it might as well b an x box game, wait 5 years, and get through it in 2 weeks.... Man I hope this is not the case. Just a little word from me here I am 1 of those people still waiting for a good reason to support anet in GW2, I have to this date not spent a dime on that game but what it cost to buy it. And u know Im pretty sure it dosnt matter to u much PWE but I would like to actually buy some zen for this game, but that is entirely up to how u all deliver on this game. I mean these things constructivly, but I have to say so far with the time it is appearing to level, this SUX.
  • aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So apparently you all like to take 6 months to level one character from 1-60? I saw some of the flips sides to my previous post and would just say that there are always people to play with even if you go boosting really hardcore at the start. There is going to be so much to do in this game that I am not even going to be focusing on leveling that much in the beginning anyway. We have UGC content to author and play through along with the main quests/Crafting/ Dungeons delves (we don't even know how many dungeons there are since they have not told us but for how many events I saw going on the calender I would say there must be quite a lot) these is also PvP/Achievements and plenty of other stuff I am sure that will be added between now and launch. Since I have heard about that "big group" content they were talking about that they have not revealed yet.

My point was that even if you choose to level only one character(even though you are missing out if you only level one in my opinion) but there will be people up there with you. And to get you to spend money they will have plenty of cosmetic items to get you hooked I'm sure (since I'm pretty sure they could put anything for Forgotten Realms armor wise in as cosmetic stuff) I wouldn't worry about finishing the game to fast unless you play it just to level I suppose.

Then again I could be wrong but the leveling pace is supposed to drop off a lot after level 30.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    So let me get this straight -
    leveling is extremely fast
    there are no Raids or Endgame content at launch

This sounds exactly like a few other disaster games I've seen launch recently.
  • kent10skent10s Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think there are 60 levels, so, i dont think it will be over too fast. sure lvl 20 maybe even 40 .. but it will scale somewhat im guessing. i would not get all hot and bothered just yet.. just my .02
    "Drive it like u stole it"
    edited February 2013
    Cosmetics...... seriously.... GW2 is full of those things u know how many I have bought...... NONE. THAT IS STRAIGHT FLUFF. If I only cared about looks I would have married a worthless hot girl, not a beautiful Woman. I dont want to marry Neverwinter but I certainly need more purpose then just UGC and cosmetic BS. and no I dont want it to take 6 months to level nor do I want it to take 6 days.... With love Aragoh, I have no issue with u and I understand your points as well.
    edited February 2013
    ranncore wrote: »

Well to be honest this is what is a bit unknown nobody knows for sure.

I can tell you this. There will be ENDGAME. There will be Heroic Dungeons. It has not been said if there will be Raids that is unknown. There will be PvP Battlegrounds, but I have no clue how big except that they are not limited to some small 5 vs 5 size.

In terms of gear progression my best very rough guess it is less hardcore then WOW but much more hardcore then Guild Wars 2. However first BETA weekend event was kind of restricted so players could not see or access any endgame or high level content. Anyway in each Dungeons there is usually a treasure chest with Class specific loot so everybody should get some reward though there are also Need/Greed random items also. There is an Auction House in the game where players can also buy/sell items.
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ranncore wrote: »

Oh, did someone get to level 60 and say there is no end game content?
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One of my biggest complaints in GW2 is how fast the leveling is. I logged in to do some gathering for crafting and was outleveling the group I played with. Maybe they are hoping they can sell more character slots if leveling is so fast people will need to have multiple characters.
    edited February 2013
    ooooo Daytonamax u sooo funny..... Lets b nice I think every 1 here is just releasing a little pre game release fears b4 it is to late. I for 1 want to state I do understand what others points r but I think what I am trying to say with leveling is I am just trying to see if the game designers can make it that worth while, my lev means something medium.
    edited February 2013
    One of my biggest complaints in GW2 is how fast the leveling is. I logged in to do some gathering for crafting and was outleveling the group I played with. Maybe they are hoping they can sell more character slots if leveling is so fast people will need to have multiple characters.
    I agree Guild Wars 2 is a very bad game. However Cryptic have said that there will be ENDGAME. Reaching max level does likely not mean that you are even near max items like in Guild Wars 2. However I don't know how long time it will take to level from 1-60 in this game but max items you should never get those through Foundry though you should get ok/fairly good items in Foundry.
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Well to be honest this is what is a bit unknown nobody knows for sure.

I can tell you this. There will be ENDGAME. There will be Heroic Dungeons. It has not been said if there will be Raids that is unknown. There will be PvP Battlegrounds, but I have no clue how big except that they are not limited to some small 5 vs 5 size.

In terms of gear progression my best very rough guess it is less hardcore then WOW but much more hardcore then Guild Wars 2. However first BETA weekend event was kind of restricted so players could not see or access any endgame or high level content. Anyway in each Dungeons there is usually a treasure chest with Class specific loot so everybody should get some reward though there are also Need/Greed random items also. There is an Auction House in the game where players can also buy/sell items.