test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leveling speed will be the same as beta once launch arrives.

2»

Comments

• darthdisneydarthdisney Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    leveling speed is completely irrelevant. Nobody is going to bring 1999 EQ back when leveling to max took most people 3-6 months. Many players will be max level with a week or two REGARDLESS what they do to the leveling speed. They could slow it down x5 and it won't matter. People will put the burn on till it's done. Except for xp caps (yeah right!) there is nothing Cryptic could do to prevent players like me to hit 60 the first week.

The question that all MMOs are measured by is: what is there to do when you hit 60? GW2 = Fail, TOR = Fail, NW ?
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'm ok either way, but if one was to have rapid leveling, I would think part of the marketing should be,"it is that way because we encourage Alts". We want you to play many professions because they are different and fun. Now one could say that goes without saying, but that is part of marketing, setting expectations, because sometimes the most obvious thing isn't obvious to us all.
  • lordthrudlordthrud Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just an assumption.
    Which I know is a cardinal sin on forums but I feel pretty safe on this one.

With only short windows of beta testing they would have sped up the levelling so users can test out the largest amount of the game in the time allotted.

I imagine if every one could only make it to level 10 each weekend then there would be a massive amount of the game which would have had little or no beta testing.

That being said there are always ways and means to increase levelling speed anyway what ever level the devs set it at.

So anyone who wants to speed through it and sit around at the end twiddling their thumbs more power to you I say.

I intend to enjoy the journey on this one.
  • sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As far as the leveling goes. Once i started to get in my 20's it slowed down. So i am not to worried about the leveling speed..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    MMO locust will blow thorough everything no matter how much content there is, and come back on the forums and whine it's not enough and it's too easy. It's what they do guys, no developer no matter how much content she creates or challenge she presents will keep these types from doing that; because to them that is end game.......puffing up their chest and declaring that five to eight years of dev time is nothing to them is their greatest achievement.

Personally I just ignore them or pity their sense of fun and enjoy the MMO I'm playing in my own way.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • rustplayerrustplayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited February 2013
    MMO locust will blow thorough everything no matter how much content there is, and come back on the forums and whine it's not enough and it's too easy. It's what they do guys, no developer no matter how much content she creates or challenge she presents will keep these types from doing that; because to them that is end game.......puffing up their chest and declaring that five to eight years of dev time is nothing to them is their greatest achievement.

Personally I just ignore them or pity their sense of fun and enjoy the MMO I'm playing in my own way.

Wise words :)
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Well I listened to enjoy it simple and no endgame is needed at Guild Wars 2 forums. What happened? Guild Wars 2 was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. You can max a character in power in less then 2 weeks in Guild Wars 2. Max power is not only max level it is also best items.

However of course I enjoy the ride. My first character in WOW took many months to get to max level and I played hardcore 40 hours/week.

Yes there are those that can level a character really fast in WOW, but that has never been my style. Of course I enjoy the journey and some players always skip story trailers but I like to watch them and usually never skip them unless if I have seen them before enough many times. There is nothing wrong enjoying low-medium level adventures.

Since I will have 2 character slots one of them I will make a powerful "halfgod" which I keep doing endgame. However with my other character I will really slow enjoy the journey and only play when my casual brother or my friends want me to play with them.

Yes this game has the FOUNDRY which is excellent, but it also needs endgame. Well I see some sense in enjoy the journey, but as my plan show I can do that both ENDGAME and the journey. As a hardcore player maybe I can even with my earned ZEN buy one day one more character slot.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I tend to agree with Stormy. Honestly, there is no way to build content for the people with 20 free hours a day on their hands to keep them busy, that won't drive off the casuals who play say, 10 hours a week.

And honestly, the people like some of the posters above tend to be rare - about 10% of the player base. The remainder (I'll say I'm slow-leveling) just plod along, explore nooks and crannies, try to get every achievement, keep grinding on a level 20 instance to get a drop they desire, or play around with the Foundry once they've hit 15 and go five times as slow as everyone else because they are making something and only play for breaks.

This game does cater to all of that. So, it does cater to the majority of player. And those are the guys who will keep the lights on.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aragoh wrote: »
    So apparently you all like to take 6 months to level one character from 1-60? I saw some of the flips sides to my previous post and would just say that there are always people to play with even if you go boosting really hardcore at the start. There is going to be so much to do in this game that I am not even going to be focusing on leveling that much in the beginning anyway. We have UGC content to author and play through along with the main quests/Crafting/ Dungeons delves (we don't even know how many dungeons there are since they have not told us but for how many events I saw going on the calender I would say there must be quite a lot) these is also PvP/Achievements and plenty of other stuff I am sure that will be added between now and launch. Since I have heard about that "big group" content they were talking about that they have not revealed yet.

My point was that even if you choose to level only one character(even though you are missing out if you only level one in my opinion) but there will be people up there with you. And to get you to spend money they will have plenty of cosmetic items to get you hooked I'm sure (since I'm pretty sure they could put anything for Forgotten Realms armor wise in as cosmetic stuff) I wouldn't worry about finishing the game to fast unless you play it just to level I suppose.

Then again I could be wrong but the leveling pace is supposed to drop off a lot after level 30.

Talking in calendar time is not a good way to judge time when you are talking about an MMO. You should be talking in played time. "apparently you all like to take 6 months to level one character from 1-60" if you are playing 5 hours a week 20 hours a month for a total of 120 hours played, then yes 6 months. If you are talking about 14 hours a week (2 hours a day, not a huge time investment by any means) 60 hours a month, then only 2 months. Do I need to continue with the math?
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Do i need to make a gross generalization about all people who want leveling to be fast now? Perhaps people who want it to take longer, just want the journey to last more than 60 played hours because they like the journey. Just because someone has a lot of time on their hands to play a game does not mean they are rushing through content. They spend the same number of hours playing that content as anyone else.

Lumping everyone who wants a longer leveling time into the same category is lame.
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Honestly, there is no way to build content for the people with 20 free hours a day on their hands to keep them busy, that won't drive off the casuals who play say, 10 hours a week.
    So, it does cater to the majority of player.
    You don't need to play some insane 20 hours/day to be hardcore. Hardcore well I would say people who work or study 40 hours/week and also have other things(example I like sports gym, swimming etc) then 20-40 hours/week is hardcore. 60 hours/week maybe if you have like winter holiday and not much else fun to do.

By the way ICC super Hardcore Raid was release December 2009 in WOW:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Icecrown_Citadel_(instance)
    In year 2010 WOW made World Record with over 12 million Active players!

keirkin wrote: »
    Do i need to make a gross generalization about all people who want leveling to be fast now? Perhaps people who want it to take longer, just want the journey to last more than 60 played hours because they like the journey. Just because someone has a lot of time on their hands to play a game does not mean they are rushing through content. They spend the same number of hours playing that content as anyone else.

Lumping everyone who wants a longer leveling time into the same category is lame.
    Words of wisdom I agree! I also never said enjoying journey is wrong. I love my casual brother. However hardcore players can create more characters and this game has also ENDGAME content and that should last a loooooong time as power progression as should be.
  • skanvakskanvak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My point on level : If someone can reach max level in say less than a year then level are useless. Why? Because (like in GW2 as many have quoted it) the game will only begin at max level. The leveling is not your character life it became more like the tutorial period and you will expect to play when you max level. I have hard time thinking that D&D is played at max level.

If you want level to be meaningful it is not thelevelling speed that matter as people will always level as fast as possible making the process tedious. It is the level loss at death. I believe that loss of all level on death is the best for MMO to be compatible with the relative high leveling speed.

Other solution would be to get rid of exp
  • babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    skanvak wrote: »
    level loss at death. I believe that loss of all level on death is the best for MMO to be compatible with the relative high leveling speed.

Other solution would be to get rid of exp

You should probably accept you're a fringe gamer with niche desires. Nobody these days wants this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in their games.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'm a long time player of DDO and that game is a good example of how leveling up can take a long time and still be fun, and how just endgame is not the only part of the game. There are many players who have never maxed a char in DDO and you can literally play for y ears and never do so (even with only 1 character!!).

NW isn't DDO, but it also has the potential to take quite awhile to max a character, and then even after that expansions and epic destinies etc can expand on how long it takes to finally max out a character. Then you have other character classes to play etc. It is totally possible to make an MMO where the whole focus is not the end game.

In fact, NW could have even more potential then DDO in that regards if the journey is challenging and each character class plays differently. It's not about the destination, but the journey. With action combat, each run up the levels with a different character can feel like a whole new game.

As far as being able to play a ton (10+ hours a day, every day) some people can do that, and will even. Thing is, if it takes 200 hours to level a character to max on average in NW, then those people are going to max a character in under a month...and even when new content comes out...they will max out again almost right away.

Most of us can not play 70+ hours a week. The game isn't made for someone who can. That being said, even at launch you have 5 character classes available, so if you really wanted to invest the time, that would be 1000+ hours of play before you maxed out every class in the game (saying it takes 200 hours to max a char to 60 at least). Even at 70 hours a week that would be 3+ months worth of constant play. Any game that offers over 1000 hours of play even at launch is doing great.

I don't know how long it'll take to get to 60, but it seems to slow down progressively as you level up. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least over 100 hour to hit 60 and maybe even more. The point though is that for an average gamer, someone who say plays 20 hours max a week (which is often hard for me to reach), the content in NW is probably going to last a very long time even without anything else being added.

In the long run, it's all about having fun. If an MMO can make the Journey up fun, and gives a variety of ways to make that journey (different classes etc), then the entertainment you can get from it is almost endless.
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »
    I'm a long time player of DDO and that game is a good example of how leveling up can take a long time and still be fun, and how just endgame is not the only part of the game. There are many players who have never maxed a char in DDO and you can literally play for y ears and never do so (even with only 1 character!!).

NW isn't DDO, but it also has the potential to take quite awhile to max a character, and then even after that expansions and epic destinies etc can expand on how long it takes to finally max out a character. Then you have other character classes to play etc. It is totally possible to make an MMO where the whole focus is not the end game.

In fact, NW could have even more potential then DDO in that regards if the journey is challenging and each character class plays differently. It's not about the destination, but the journey. With action combat, each run up the levels with a different character can feel like a whole new game.

As far as being able to play a ton (10+ hours a day, every day) some people can do that, and will even. Thing is, if it takes 200 hours to level a character to max on average in NW, then those people are going to max a character in under a month...and even when new content comes out...they will max out again almost right away.

Most of us can not play 70+ hours a week. The game isn't made for someone who can. That being said, even at launch you have 5 character classes available, so if you really wanted to invest the time, that would be 1000+ hours of play before you maxed out every class in the game (saying it takes 200 hours to max a char to 60 at least). Even at 70 hours a week that would be 3+ months worth of constant play. Any game that offers over 1000 hours of play even at launch is doing great.

I don't know how long it'll take to get to 60, but it seems to slow down progressively as you level up. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least over 100 hour to hit 60 and maybe even more. The point though is that for an average gamer, someone who say plays 20 hours max a week (which is often hard for me to reach), the content in NW is probably going to last a very long time even without anything else being added.

In the long run, it's all about having fun. If an MMO can make the Journey up fun, and gives a variety of ways to make that journey (different classes etc), then the entertainment you can get from it is almost endless.
    At launch I will have only 2 free character slots. I can not create 5 characters unless I DELETE my old ones. Well I can as hardcore player earn in a long time Astral Diamonds and with lots of AD buy ZEN. With ZEN it is possible to buy a character slot that has been confirmed. However to keep me playing so much this game will thank god have ENDGAME and is not a silly casual carebear game like Guild Wars 2.

If you have Hero of North package then you have 5 character slots. With lesser BETA access package you get 3. With my free account I only have to 2 free character slots at launch.