test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Melee cleric?

vorathianvorathian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Temple
so is there no melee cleric? I don't want to play a wow-ish caster only priest. I want my cleric with a mace and shield. If its not available I guess I'll have to stick with DDO and avoid paying $200 dollars.
Post edited by vorathian on

Comments

• erinianerinian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think that they will have a melee healer or of healer class..probably the Paladin on the future...
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is no melee cleric class for launch.
  • dequixoticdequixotic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is the Devoted Cleric class from 4E, so it is ranged. I imagine there will be a melee healer at some point in the form of a Druid or Paladin if not another Cleric build. The devs have said they will continue to add classes after launch.
  • keneringkenering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I won't stop whining with 'I need melee cleric now!'. Warpriest, or somekind. Don't compare melee cleric with paladin, please, they are different in the root.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kenering wrote: »
    I won't stop whining with 'I need melee cleric now!'. Warpriest, or somekind. Don't compare melee cleric with paladin, please, they are different in the root.
    I have a feeling that BattleCleric build should be coming quite soon. I mean it is high priority stuff in D&D compared to any other class.
  • keneringkenering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Let's whine for warpriest with 2-handed hammer with me! :)
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Let's whine for warpriest with 2-handed hammer with me! :)

1 h mace + heavy shield, please.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • zephelxzephelx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »

^ This right here! :)
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

That would be great!
    edited February 2013
    But 1h mace + shield is not warpriest type, let it be battlecleric. Warpriest should get 2h hammer.
    edited February 2013
    But 1h mace + shield is not warpriest type, let it be battlecleric. Warpriest should get 2h hammer.

Actually the classical battle cleric has always been mace + shield.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ph2_gallery/97107.jpg

St. Augustinus
    edited February 2013
    Actually the classical battle cleric has always been mace + shield.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ph2_gallery/97107.jpg

I said battle cleric =\= warpriest. I said nothing wrong about battle cleric wielding 1h+shield. They should be 2 different classes.
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    My impression is a a warpriest sees battle as part of their faith and perhaps even a rite to their diety (probably a war god/ess). While a battle cleric is a healer who goes into the thick of battle to protect those in need, and thus arms him/herself appropriately.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    I would also really like to see a melee cleric but I'll take what I can get :)

It's funny, too, because there was a time when I said, "I'll never be one of those douchers that rolls a battle cleric."

Anyways this cleric looks like A LOT of fun to play. Heavy armor and smite from afar, I can get down with that.
  • dregonjusticedregonjustice Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hm, well seeing this is quite sad. I've never in my 20 yrs of D&D rolled a cleric that doesn't step into the thick of it. Thats why they get heavy armor >.>. Granted my clerics have always been more of a tank than most but still. To not have the ability at ALL is a colossal turn off. Like I am literally heartbroken to hear this. My favorite class in all MMO history was the Warrior Priest of WAR and my "Storm Shaman" build in Rift. Both 2h hammer users. Great support and decent heals. I was hoping to actually get to build something like my last cleric which was extremely hammer and shield oriented. Its sad to see that the cleric has been "priestified". Tbh it makes me immediately regret spending the money I did to buy the game <.<. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
    edited February 2013
    My favorite class in all MMO history was the Warrior Priest of WAR and my "Storm Shaman" build in Rift. Both 2h hammer users.

I know that feel, bro :) I'm fond of playing warpriest with 2h hammer types. Be in the heat of battle, heal your allies with every bash you deal, support them with your shining glory and horrifying zeal. If I meet any game without them it's a real heartbreak for me.
  • karmicooziekarmicoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why would you need to avoid paying $200?? The game is F2P.
    Personally I'd much rather have a memory full of Slay Living rather than a mace and board.
  • razorjack156razorjack156 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Warrior Priests were grossly overpowered in WAR .. and it's good you basically want a great weapons fighter .. that can heal itself .. umm ... ok.. then why bother playing the GWF. While I understand the need for the old mace and board cleric .. in this game the mechanics would be amazingly similiar to a paladin concept. So instead of having two classes that are amazingly alike (and fyi, the paladin is basically the warrior priest arm of the church they belong to anyways), just make a Paladin.
  • skanvakskanvak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Personnally, I miss the first edition cleric (that is the red box one). Was a kind of templar. But, I would say that though I consider the cleric to be overpowered in DD3, I think that all class should be able heal itself and fight. In DD the Cleric has always be a melee character even more than the fighter (the fighter can use long bow...).

Any way there class define too much what a player can do with. I like the DD3 (and 4 to a lesser extend) ability to customize your charater. No 2 fighters or clerics (especially cleric) where alike.
    edited February 2013
    You are really mistaken, paladin and warpriest different at the root, the very concept of them is different.
  • svijany12svijany12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    There surely IS to be a melee healer for it is iconical for healer classes in DnD... right?
    'Onoronodonovon takes you!'
  • nik80nik80 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    svijany12 wrote: »
    There surely IS to be a melee healer for it is iconical for healer classes in DnD... right?

I think we will find with time that there will be many more classes added to the game post launch and in subsequent expansions, this has been stated by the devs. Five classes is really a relatively small pool with respect to many other mmos, so my guess is that the devs are shooting for at least 7, and possibly more before all is said.

One thing you have to remember with respect to content is that this is a f2p game, so the devs have to leave some content that they can a) slowly release to keep the game fun and fresh and b) that they can monetize in some way. As we have seen already, the Drow race is one that will be available for purchase, it is entirely possible that some classes down the road could be handled in the same manner. I would venture to guess that a battle cleric style and many others (like a bow wielding class) will be part of future content releases.
  • malvolio11malvolio11 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I believe there will probably be one more class before launch (possibly one that has knowledge nature). I do look forward to a melee cleric and not being forced to ride into battle wielding a giant earring however I do have pause with there being more archetypes released.

At current the loot table is archetype specific (guardian fighter specific, great weapon fighter specific, etc...) if they release more classes the loot table is going to be more and more flooded.
  • nik80nik80 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    malvolio11 wrote: »
    I believe there will probably be one more class before launch (possibly one that has knowledge nature).

The five classes that will be available at launch have all been announced, there will be no others.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's not melee, it's not Wow-ish melee clerics ae releasing post launch. Moving on to the next thread out of 10 pages left....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trollbogantrollbogan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When I used to play a paladin, they were no healers. They may have lay on hands, but they were true tanks or damage dealers.
    edited February 2013
    I used to play a paladin too, but then i took a holy symbol in the knee.

St. Augustinus
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I used to play a paladin too, but then i took a holy symbol in the knee.
    lol. Very nice. Hope it didn't implode near your knee.
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    lol. Very nice. Hope it didn't implode near your knee.

Directly inside the knee! This is why i'm not an advent... sorry, a paladin anymore.

St. Augustinus
  • sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Hm, well seeing this is quite sad. I've never in my 20 yrs of D&D rolled a cleric that doesn't step into the thick of it. Thats why they get heavy armor >.>. Granted my clerics have always been more of a tank than most but still. To not have the ability at ALL is a colossal turn off. Like I am literally heartbroken to hear this. My favorite class in all MMO history was the Warrior Priest of WAR and my "Storm Shaman" build in Rift. Both 2h hammer users. Great support and decent heals. I was hoping to actually get to build something like my last cleric which was extremely hammer and shield oriented. Its sad to see that the cleric has been "priestified". Tbh it makes me immediately regret spending the money I did to buy the game <.<. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

And you may yet get to roll your beloved Battle Cleric or Warpriest. The game hasn't even passed through beta yet! Caster clerics have been a fixture in D&D, too, and it makes more sense for release, satisfying the tank, striker, healer roles. The cleric has not been "priestified" at all, no more than the fighter has been "tankified" for that particular build being made available first.
    Your despair is well and truly premature.

Regardless, the game is not up for purchase, so you haven't bought it. No one can. What you bought was an optional pack of digital goodies.