test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"PRIMUS Database" for Neverwinter Roleplayers

bloodgambitbloodgambit Member Posts: 82 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Art and Fiction
Those roleplayers here who have played Champions Online, many of you likely have heard of or use PRIMUS Database. Or Virtueverse for City of Heroes/Villains.

I've just acquired free, unlimited webspace for a similar site for Neverwinter. I know the basic workings of wiki sites (I have a personal one on my local network and have contributed to PRIMUS Database as @Maekada), so I can easily start one, but I am not that experienced of an admin. I also cannot afford a domain name. I was wondering how much support there would be in order to get such a thing going?

Either send me a PM or even reply here if you can help. Some references would be nice for any who wish to be Admins. Comments in general can simply be posted here.

@Maekada in-game

Formerly MaekadaFolay on the forums.
Post edited by bloodgambit on

Comments

• aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For those of us who have been out of the gaming universe for a while, what exactly does the [h=2]"PRIMUS Database" for Neverwinter Roleplayers[/h]entail?
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's the link: http://www.primusdatabase.com/

It's a big wiki for players to post all the RP-related information about their characters. Sort of like the thread Zebular started for the same thing but much easier to organize and search because it's not a forum.
  • bloodgambitbloodgambit Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We've come up with a name, let me know what you guys think:

Neverwinter's Hall of Records

or

Neverwinter Hall of Records

or just

Hall of Records (which will likely be what it is referred to, with 'Neverwinter' just letting people know what it is for)

@Maekada in-game

edited February 2013
    I'm just one person, but...I guess. The name seems a little uninspired and unexciting, though. Especially since the PRIMUS database actually is a thing in the Champions universe. The name alone grounds all the entries in the wiki into the lore.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    While I like the Hall of Records, I first thought of "Codex of Adventurers."

*the mage nods then points a finger up, correcting himself*

Although, "Codex of Heroes" was actually my first thought but that would exclude many.

If I had to choose, I would go with "The Neverwinter Hall of Records" - having it be possessive just doesn't sound right, as it would sound more like something the Neverwinter Officials would be operating and not a band of adventurers.
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, that was my thought. Someone else had suggested "Neverwinter's Hall of Records" after I thought of "Hall of Records". That's why I posted a few variations, and you're right. Though I am still leaning towards just "Hall of Records" for general wording. While I have yet to find a reliable source for the domain name (one person giving a conditional promise based on if they land a job or not), it'd be nice to think of one.

www.neverwinter-hallofrecords.com
    www.neverwinter-HoR.com
    www.neverwinterhor.com
    www.nwhallofrecords.com

There are plenty of variations that come to mind, but it should be fairly short and easy to type out and read. Some suggestions would be nice :)
    aavarius wrote: »
    I'm just one person, but...I guess. The name seems a little uninspired and unexciting, though. Especially since the PRIMUS database actually is a thing in the Champions universe. The name alone grounds all the entries in the wiki into the lore.

Unfortunately, there is no such 'database' in the Forgotten Realms that would really make sense. However, a 'hall of records' could potentially have records of any person, especially an adventurer, who has so much as stepped foot in the city, especially during such dire times when security is a concern.

@Maekada in-game

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    The Moonstone Mask is something that would relate to adventures.

I think this excerpt may be nicer and sound cool, in my opinion:

House of Knowledge

At the far northeastern end of the Wall stands what was, in happier times, a flourishing temple to Oghma, god of knowledge and wisdom. Before the quake, the House of Knowledge served as a repository of chronicled learning, including maps, history, and hundreds of poems and chapbooks produced over the centuries. Today, it looks less like a library and more like a refugee camp, holding the area where the Wall approaches the Neverwinter River.

<snip>

Only one priest remained after the Prophet's departure- Loremaster Atlavast, a middle-aged human who became the custodian of the library after the cataclysm. Fearing the worst as the cataclysm occurred, the loremasters of the temple sealed the inner sanctum, leaving the young Atlavast sealed within. As the ground shuddered and shook, Atlavast's mind grew unstable. Now grown into an eccentric recluse, Atlavast keeps to the lower vaults, continually cataloguing and reorganizing. He is rarely glimpsed these days, and the main evidence of his existence is the occasional flickering light that filters up from cracks in the cobblestones in the dead of night.

However, there was one individual who is the embodiment of what you speak, Alaundo the Seer who recorded history everywhere in the Realms as it happened and was able to foresee future events. Something like the, "Prophecies of Alaundo," could be an interesting thought or lead to some other ideas. Naturally, Candlekeep would be my real choice for such a Database but that is a well known site that has been around for ages already, based upon the fabled Candlekeep itself, south of Waterdeep. Ed Greenwood is even known to make an appearance there from time to time or convey thoughts with the Site's maintainers.

It is said that players who use "Speak with Dead" magics can communicate with Alaundo still and receive his prophecies.

Just some wild thoughts and old mage ramblings!

*the old mage nods and returns to scribing in his Grimoire of Time*
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    The Moonstone Mask is something that would relate to adventures.

I think this excerpt may be nicer and sound cool, in my opinion:

*quote*

However, there was one individual who is the embodiment of what you speak, Alaundo the Seer who recorded history everywhere in the Realms as it happened and was able to foresee future events. Something like the, "Prophecies of Alaundo," could be an interesting thought or lead to some other ideas. Naturally, Candlekeep would be my real choice for such a Database but that is a well known site that has been around for ages already, based upon the fabled Candlekeep itself, south of Waterdeep. Ed Greenwood is even known to make an appearance there from time to time or convey thoughts with the Site's maintainers.

It is said that players who use "Speak with Dead" magics can communicate with Alaundo still and receive his prophecies.

Just some wild thoughts and old mage ramblings!

*the old mage nods and returns to scribing in his Grimoire of Time*

Well, while these are all fairly COOL ideas, I don't know that the average users would understand the purpose behind the name. PRIMUS Database is obvious, as PRIMUS is a prominent group in Champions Online. People understand the link between the two. It should be simple, rather than fancy, and make sense to even those with only a little lore knowledge. It doesn't necessarily have to be something that DOES have information on everyone (this isn't necessarily all going to be IC knowledge), but should be something simple and easily recognized that COULD have information on any given person.

Candlekeep could be nice, but might be misleading, again, to those short on FR lore. I'm not shooting it down without thought, mind you, not any of those suggestions. I just really think 'Hall of Records' will fit best both for setting and to prevent confusion.

@Maekada in-game

edited February 2013
    Oh, I am not trying to shoot it down or anything. Just felt like rambling on the notion of Forgotten Realms bits in relation to in game things. Another crazy thought would be something a wackily simple as just, "The Player's Handbook" - a play on words without changing a word! Or even the "Character's Sheet" - but yes, I still like the sound of a "Hall of Records" much better and as a time-keeper, it sits very well with me. Indeed.
  • lambardierlambardier Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To toss a further complication into the mix, I had a thought of the Harpers' Network, since they seem to be so well-informed about just about anything and everything. However, the Harpers are notorious for bogarting their lore and only passing it out on a need-to-know basis.
    edited February 2013
    Harpers -had- crossed my mind, but like you said, they're very secretive.

@Maekada in-game

edited February 2013
    I also created a channel for RPers in NW called NWRP if anyone wishes to join. It's public.

@Maekada in-game

• nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Those roleplayers here who have played Champions Online, many of you likely have heard of or use PRIMUS Database. Or Virtueverse for City of Heroes/Villains.

I've just acquired free, unlimited webspace for a similar site for Neverwinter. I know the basic workings of wiki sites (I have a personal one on my local network and have contributed to PRIMUS Database as @Maekada), so I can easily start one, but I am not that experienced of an admin. I also cannot afford a domain name. I was wondering how much support there would be in order to get such a thing going?

Either send me a PM or even reply here if you can help. Some references would be nice for any who wish to be Admins. Comments in general can simply be posted here.

Sir you are ULTRAMAN KING OF ALL MEN \o/
    edited February 2013
    I think Zebular had some good suggestions, for whatever my opinion might be worth. Considering the popularity of Baldur's Gate (the game, not the city) and that it began in Candlekeep, that might not be as obscure.

<oopsies!>
  • theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Another crazy thought would be something a wackily simple as just, "The Player's Handbook" - a play on words without changing a word! Or even the "Character's Sheet"

These are my favorite suggestions so far. The Neverwinter Players Handbook would make a lot of sense, easy to remember, and be a nice shout out to the PnP crowd (everyone knows the PHB).
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    These are my favorite suggestions so far. The Neverwinter Players Handbook would make a lot of sense, easy to remember, and be a nice shout out to the PnP crowd (everyone knows the PHB).

I like it! You can put in small text somewhere "authored by Alaundo" as an inside joke for those in the know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Well I'd prefer it to be more something from an IC perspective, similar to the PRIMUS Database for CO. It just feels right that way, to me. I've considered the other ideas, and I do like some of them, but they just feel wrong to me. Hard to explain what I mean...

Edit: We still have quite a bit of time to decide since I still don't have a domain name, though I do have a conditional offer from one person, who says they will provide a domain name -if- they manage to land the job they are going for.

I also still need admins, so again, anyone willing, please send me a PM with any references to previous wiki administration or experience. References can be simply telling me your experience, or showing me if possible.

@Maekada in-game

• atalantamatalantam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think this would be a great resource for the Neverwinter community once its settled. More power to you! great idea! :)

If you do go for a domain provider go with namecheap. I use them and they're great. Better than godaddy.
    Home of the Amazons - Play a female character?
    Server: Mindflayer
    [EST 2008. A themed community of gamers & roleplayers]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arundooarundoo Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Good day,

If the wiki is live we would like to link to it from our Neverwinter Roleplay community.
    Just drop me a message and we can get it up on our page.

Thanks !
    Neverwinter Roleplay community: http://www.NW-RP.com
    edited February 2013
    I will leave a link if and when it officially launches. I still don't have access to a domain name. Once I do, I will begin working on the site.

@Maekada in-game

edited February 2013
    While I dislike double-posting, this is an update that I feel deserves a bump.

I have the website up. It's not officially launched, but it does exist. I would ask that people please refrain from making pages until I have officially launched. I have the ability to delete pages, and would hate to have to do so because someone didn't listen!

If you'd like to see how it is coming along, however, feel free to check in at: http://hallofrecords.kaos-incorporated.com/

Don't have a domain name yet, and am using a sub-domain for now.

@Maekada in-game