test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No evil gods

tehvaldrtehvaldr Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Watching some beta streaming and the gods available at character creation are :

Amaunator - Chauntea - Corellon - Kelemvor - Moradin - Oghma - Selune - Silvanus - Sune - Tempus - Torm

No evil gods.

Beta looks awesome! I'm really excited, but not being able to choose evil gods (and this implies you can't really be evil in the game) is a bit of a let down.

Was hoping to be the old nwn type of evil, killing dangerous enemies not for the sake of others but for your own selfish reasons

oh well.....
Post edited by tehvaldr on

Comments

• Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I miss Bane too, but the approach of 4e is "good or neutral only". As long as i can be a Tormite (i know, it's horrible) Cleric, it's good for me.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope its not to not worry about so called right winged people worrying about "having evil Gods make DandD evil" laughs.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    I miss Bane too, but the approach of 4e is "good or neutral only". As long as i can be a Tormite (i know, it's horrible) Cleric, it's good for me.
    Tormite... lol

if o was e .... hehe

Selunite doesn't sound half as bad as that! Come to the side of Moon!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Tormite... lol

if o was e .... hehe

Selunite doesn't sound half as bad as that! Come to the side of Moon!

I don't really like Selune :( I'll just make a b... Sune Cleric temptress :P

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't really like Selune :( I'll just make a b... Sune Cleric temptress :P
    Sune and Selune are pratically room-mates, so not much of a difference :p
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sune and Selune are pratically room-mates, so not much of a difference :p

I just prefer the curvy one. Sorry if i'm a pervert :P

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    geddings12 wrote: »
    I hope its not to not worry about so called right winged people worrying about "having evil Gods make DandD evil" laughs.

I actually fear that's the reason.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I just prefer the curvy one. Sorry if i'm a pervert :P
    Oh! I thought you were just eyeing the cat of the roommate, what was its name, Sharess? Didn't knew you were into the vain one herself.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh! I thought you were just eyeing the cat of the roommate, what was its name, Sharess? Didn't knew you were into the vain one herself.

Sharess is just too lewd. I want a goddess of love, not of kamasutra.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Bane and Cyric still get my worship.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    vixisynvixisyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    How can you have the background of a Shadovar Elite from Netheril and not have the option to pick Shar as your patron deity?

(Edit: It wont let me do my table flip acsii /sigh)
    vixybanner4_zpsbe1d5d4b.jpg
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    4e actually has evil and chaotic evil. It's just this game does not use alignment or factions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Bane and Cyric still get my worship.

Hopefully not at the same time, or you'll get instagibbed.

@Truthseeker: yes, the game has Evil and CE as alignment... technically. But the support is substantially lacking compared to good alignment stuff. It's a way from developers to say "please, stop playing evil alignments".

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    vixisyn wrote: »
    How can you have the background of a Shadovar Elite from Nethril and not have the option to pick Shar as your patron deity?

(Edit: It wont let me do my table flip acsii /sigh)

Agree, this is ridiculous, hope they add the rest at launch
  • Options
    morhilanemorhilane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited February 2013
    I was also surprised by the deities selection list, but I always select Selune, so I'm fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ... It's a way from developers to say "please, stop playing evil alignments".

Actually they kind of already said it in PHB - do not roll an evil character unless your DM asks you or your campaign is actually designed for it.

They probably want to separate evil classes in specific settings like shadow world setting.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    morhilane wrote: »
    I was also surprised by the deities selection list, but I always select Selune, so I'm fine.
    A fellow Selunite! Maiden in the Moon! Maiden in the Moon!
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    vixisyn wrote: »
    How can you have the background of a Shadovar Elite from Nethril and not have the option to pick Shar as your patron deity?
    Nothing says Shadovar Elite like worhiping Selune :cool:

Sarcasm aside, we need Deities that match the various backgrounds.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    Actually they kind of already said it in PHB - do not roll an evil character unless your DM asks you or your campaign is actually designed for it.

They probably want to separate evil classes in specific settings like shadow world setting.

And at launch, why should they split their resources up to produce both good and evil campaigns, when most players will do one or the other but not both? As you say, they can add that later; for now, one path means twice as much content on that path for the same number of developer hours.
  • Options
    citaircitair Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Figure if they're adding drow they'll have to add Lolth down the road right?
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It makes some sense to me to keep things sort of one sided. Breaking the player base into hard factions would basically double their work load and often one side gets a much larger chunk of the population than the other as we've seen in various games over the years. If they left everything more open ended, perhaps something similar to original EQ with soft factions that can be changed and earned by the players actions, it would also require much more work to balance and flesh out on the devs part. It's just easier this way I'd imagine.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    And even if they do add factions later, who says they have to be evil? Without going into real-world politics, political entities of nominally "good" alignment can be on opposite sides of issues they both find very important. Leave the "evil" factions for NPCs or "monster play"; let's have factions who are both right. WoW did it. STO did it. It can be done.
  • Options
    valkyriechosenvalkyriechosen Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    It's entirely possible that a more evil-aligned story will develop as time goes on, sort of the way the Klingon faction developed over time in STO. I wasn't in STO from the get go, but I do have almost 3 years under my belt, and I heard they developed the Klingons as a new faction once they had established the game Fed side. The most likely answer is that evil does not really fit in the campaign scenarios that they have given at this time, and thus it makes more sense to give out quests based on a population that runs the neutral to good range of the spectrum.
  • Options
    ryuhoruhitoryuhoruhito Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Where is Mielliki?! :(
  • Options
    morhilanemorhilane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited February 2013
    Where is Mielliki?! :(

She is a servant of Silvanus, the deities listed are the major ones.
  • Options
    shurafayshurafay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Where is Lloth!! XD tsk...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    shurafay wrote: »
    Where is Lloth!! XD tsk...
    Crushed beneath my feet - oops, sorry I should have watched when I walked.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Crushed beneath my feet - oops, sorry I should have watched when I walked.

LOOOOL I like your thinking ...

Anyway I don't like that there is not option to choose a chaotic or evil god.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    Nothing says Shadovar Elite like worhiping Selune :cool:

Sarcasm aside, we need Deities that match the various backgrounds.

You failed Lore check here.

Dark Moon Heresay says that Selune and Shar are same. So it is not really sarcasm. You need better example.
    shurafay wrote: »
    Anyway I don't like that there is not option to choose a chaotic or evil god.
    Neither do I, but hey! There is one unaligned deity - Tempus!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Neither do I, but hey! There is one unaligned deity - Tempus!

mmmm............... well..... Tempus................ emm........................... *put a barbarian helmet* TEMPUUUUS!!!

nothing is something XD