test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forced to use Pets/Companions?

Comments

• Options
    gammanshadowrushgammanshadowrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I for one would love to see some Henchmen "pets" in the game. Not just panthers and such.

It was one of my most loved times with a very old mage/thief character, earning his henchmen via RP with the DM, eventually building his thieves guild, bulding his rowdy rabble of burglurs and pick pockets. I really hope that Henchmen are put in, along with personal residences To Build, not just buy a mildly customizable one from the store like CO's Hideouts.
    Actually they are already in. The pets/companions that this thread is talking about do not only have animals, they also have humanoid henchmen. You could have a Wizard following you around. On one video I saw someone have a Cleric companion.

I for one really love this companion feature they put into the game. It will allow me to recreate my character's old D&D story group of adventurers as his companions. Looking forward to it. :)
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You give em a pet they complain, you dont they complain...:P

Personally i like em, if i dont want it out...dismiss

Yep basically just fuel for the whine machine, don't like e don't use em...simple.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sadly it's not really a case of "dont like'em don't use'em" because it's the game dynamic and social expectations that are the problem, not the fact we have pets.

Having pets is rad. But if someone believes their character isn't the kind of guy who would have a pet, or simply doesn't want to have one for whatever reason, I can easily see people raging at them in dungeons because they don't have their pet out.

Also I've yet to see someone whine in this thread. Sounds to me like most people are presenting themselves here quite appropriately.
  • Options
    soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll be doing some tests once i get a companion to see how much of an assist they give, but honestly I cant imagine it being that great that it would make a huge difference whether it was summoned or not.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Not really happy to learn we have to use pets. And yes I know I can simply not use one but when it doesn't take up a party member slot there is absolutely no reason not to use it. I think for what they bring to the table it should occupy a party slot. Because current system boils down to... example: Guardian, Rogue, 2H Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and like 5 random Pet/Companion(s) in your dungeon. Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen. It poo poos on Rangers and Conjurers as well.

Also how fun is it to be a Rogue/Assassin with some random NPC following you.. Thats an RP buzz kill in itself.

Around 17:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

Would rather have them do something, than be the completely useless cosmetic pets kind. Cause you know just about everyone will want one, so might as well let them have it. If you don't actually want one, it's not like you're forced to use it.

As for the use of pets in groups and possible future raids, it's not like the party leader can't prohibit the use of pets. Or the devs could possibly block pets in the larger dungeons, for that matter.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am forced to use companions!!!

*looks at cute wolfy*

I am now being forced to pet my wolf!!!

*wolfy asks for treat*

I am being forced to give wolfy a treat!!!

*wolfy snuggles*

I am being forced... Aww! Come here you wolfy!... Where's the baby? Here it is!
    What was I saying? Yeah! Am being forced to.... yeah something.
  • Options
    seashell9seashell9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I liked my fully customized "Officers" in STO on ground missions. I even made some look like my other Characters. Very nice for RP & immersion.

One of the best features in any mmo i've played.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Companions may be humanoids or animals and are not forced, not mandatory. If you don't want them, don't summon them.

As a matter of fact, they could easily be killed if you think they can handle stuff on their own. They need to level and advance, gain magic items and enhancements...just like you.

So no more "this class handles pets" comparisons, as you just insulted the fighter, wizard and cleric options who were going to help you...

And please send me your hawks and Galeb Duhrs via in game mail before you bind them then if you don't want them.

Also changed forum title to end with a question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually they are already in. The pets/companions that this thread is talking about do not only have animals, they also have humanoid henchmen. You could have a Wizard following you around. On one video I saw someone have a Cleric companion.

I for one really love this companion feature they put into the game. It will allow me to recreate my character's old D&D story group of adventurers as his companions. Looking forward to it. :)

Thnx for the info. I wonder how much customization will be allowed with them.

edit:
    As a matter of fact, they could easily be killed if you think they can handle stuff on their own. They need to level and advance, gain magic items and enhancements...just like you.

at least some customization, thnx
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ...Also changed forum title to end with a question.

hehe, I see what you did there!

(And if you have more than one, you can exchange your hawk with my wolfy{or whatever companion I get, except for undead or beholder})
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I love the idea of companions actually. As long as any future "pet" classes have pets that are much more powerful than any companion, I see no real problem here. I esp. like the fact that they level up. Cool beans.

Now where did Uni go?
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A pet class should summon pets the size of mounts. That'd be entertaining for sure.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    A pet class should summon pets the size of mounts. That'd be entertaining for sure.

There are human pets like clerics, and mages - as shown in video.

It would be against Selune though - to have human pets. So I cant use them. She abhors slavery in all forms.]
  • Options
    velzeburvelzebur Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As it stands now the game actially forcing you to use pets , and forcing players to do something they doesnt want to do is quite a stupid move from cryptic so far. And yes they are forcing you, before you say: "nonononono just doenst use them than!" They give you SIGNIFICANT comat advantage. Some pets are tanking , ccing , dpsing even healing for you!!! Ist a very bad move. Leave the pets to the pet classes like rangers , druids , necromancers or some sort of summoner wizards. I have so much faith in this game ,you did a realy good job so far dont ruin it in the finins line plz! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Even if they give you minor advantage its still an advantage and still forcing you to use them. Just make them noncombat or dont allow them in pvp/high end content pve. Idont know just do someting about the issue!
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can see why pets/hirelings are so important to the game, though.

1: D&D is a team game at its heart and the classes are not designed to play solo. IF you want a Wizard to feel like a D&D wizard, he has to be fragile. And if he has a companion to tank for him, you can make him properly fragile. Likewise, the Rogue does damage by flanking, which requires a second person to flank with. D&D is just not meant to be soloed. So adding companions makes the game feel more like D&D and empower class features which are iconic.

2: Cryptic already has this great companion system from STO, where every captain has 4 bridge officers with him on most missions. This is a huge leg up and a potential feature to import, so the temptation to use it must have been pretty strong.

3: There is a long tradition in D&D, both tabletop and online, of hiring henchmen to round out your party when you don't have a cleric or need a tracker or whatever. And every time I DM, one of my players asks if she can have a pet dog or a pet bird or a pet giant spider or something. There's a certain breed of player that just loves having a pet in the game.

4: Cash shop. Customized pet skins is a huge monetization issue.

So I'm cool with it. It feels D&D for me.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I can see why pets/hirelings are so important to the game, though.

1: D&D is a team game at its heart and the classes are not designed to play solo. IF you want a Wizard to feel like a D&D wizard, he has to be fragile. And if he has a companion to tank for him, you can make him properly fragile. Likewise, the Rogue does damage by flanking, which requires a second person to flank with. D&D is just not meant to be soloed. So adding companions makes the game feel more like D&D and empower class features which are iconic.

Yeah but it turned out its an mmo and those roles meant to be filled with actual players not some kind of npc.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    velzebur wrote: »
    and forcing players to do something they doesnt want to do is quite a stupid move from cryptic so far.
    Oh, sorry. Since when do you speak for me? I'm happy about the possibility of using Companions. :) Not that I cannot agree that "pets" (animals) should be domain of druids/beastmasters and such. But in D&D, there is nothing preventing your non pet-class from having a pet or more. You depend only on setting, the DM and what exactly you want to have. Training a dog? Maybe try your luck with a cat? Maybe hire some henchmen to help beating that horde of orcs?
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not really happy to learn we have to use pets. And yes I know I can simply not use one but when it doesn't take up a party member slot there is absolutely no reason not to use it. I think for what they bring to the table it should occupy a party slot. Because current system boils down to... example: Guardian, Rogue, 2H Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and like 5 random Pet/Companion(s) in your dungeon. Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen. It poo poos on Rangers and Conjurers as well.

Also how fun is it to be a Rogue/Assassin with some random NPC following you.. Thats an RP buzz kill in itself.

Around 17:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

Logic does not compute. Fatal error! Fatal error! System shutting down......

*maitnence performed. New subroutines added.*

Checking for solution.......

Don't use pets if you don't want them. Use pets if you want them. Start your own pet hating guild/movement, where all members don't use pets and protest their use. Call it.......... *checking for appropriate name* Peta

Resolved.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Im not saying they should dismiss pet's for good at once or whatever. If someone wanna use pet use it i dont care! I just doesnt want to suffer a disadvantage if i doesnt wanna use one!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why don't you try it before touting advantage or disadvantage. I already have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why don't you try it before touting advantage or disadvantage. I already have.

Im not puttung 200d on blind bet. Give me a key and i'll test it out myself for sure! :D But it wont likely to happen So may you share your insight on the topic? But im clearly not touting at all its just common sense, if you use pet you get +stuff if you dont you aint got nothing, chars without pet = gimped
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    Your thread title is misleading.

You are not forced to use companions.

Like I explained in the thread if you can use it without taking up a party slot then there is no reason not to use it. As a MMOer if I get into a party people are going to ask, "Where is your pet?". If I respond I dont like using pets in games they arent going to understand and more then likely just boot me from whatever party we are in. It happens and will happen, I promise you that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I for one would love to see some Henchmen "pets" in the game. Not just panthers and such.

It was one of my most loved times with a very old mage/thief character, earning his henchmen via RP with the DM, eventually building his thieves guild, bulding his rowdy rabble of burglurs and pick pockets. I really hope that Henchmen are put in, along with personal residences To Build, not just buy a mildly customizable one from the store like CO's Hideouts.

Henchmen(companions, humanoids) are already in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Companions may be humanoids or animals and are not forced, not mandatory. If you don't want them, don't summon them.

So no more "this class handles pets" comparisons, as you just insulted the fighter, wizard and cleric options who were going to help you...

And please send me your hawks and Galeb Duhrs via in game mail before you bind them then if you don't want them.

Also changed forum title to end with a question.

Do they get the same level of visual customization as characters do, like Bridge Officers in STO? Or just a fixed pet skin?
    I don't mind the idea of a companion in solo, small party play. I really dislike that they don't occupy a party slot in a dungeon. From playing other MMOs(LOTRO comes to mind) having a companion that is a Healer when you dont have one is nice, but if your a Cleric and you zone into a PuG dungeon and everyone has a Healer Pet then it really craps on the role you joined to fill. Even worse for your tanks. Most people I know who play tanks hate when someone's pet pulls aggro. Especially if your fighting a Dragon and all the sudden Rocky the Rock Elemental does his passive taunt pulls the dragon facing the opposite direction and the rogue and cleric took it in the face a die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Do they get the same level of visual customization as characters do, like Bridge Officers in STO? Or just a fixed pet skin?

It looks like you can slot new skins on them, but you don't get sliders or anything like STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ... having a companion that is a Healer when you dont have one is nice, but if your a Cleric and you zone into a PuG dungeon and everyone has a Healer Pet then it really craps on the role you joined to fill. ... Most people I know who play tanks hate when someone's pet pulls aggro.

This is a valid issue. Cryptic devs have addressed it by giving us multiple companions to choose from, even on the same character. So the cool thing to do is, when you zone into a dungeon with a PUG, and you have your Cleric Companion out, is ask the Cleric Player, "Do you want my Cleric's help? Because I can totally load Hawky the Hawk if you don't want him." Likewise with tanking.

Im not busting anyone's chops here, and I'm trying not to tell people how to play. But Companions are in the game, and I think, "How should we use them to make everyone as happy as possible?" is a more interesting question than, "Companions suck, I hate them."
  • Options
    shado152shado152 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    velzebur wrote: »
    Im not puttung 200d on blind bet. Give me a key and i'll test it out myself for sure! :D But it wont likely to happen So may you share your insight on the topic? But im clearly not touting at all its just common sense, if you use pet you get +stuff if you dont you aint got nothing, chars without pet = gimped

again just like so many people have said if you dont wanna drop 200d on it dont you can get pets ingame those who pay just get one from the get go and if you dont wanna pay 200d its an option just like its an OPTION to use or not use pets ingame
    Beta Testing Pending
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Im not busting anyone's chops here, and I'm trying not to tell people how to play. But Companions are in the game, and I think, "How should we use them to make everyone as happy as possible?" is a more interesting question than, "Companions suck, I hate them."

You guys just realy doesn't get it, nevermind haven't expected much. How can you force pets in a DnD mmo srsly? But if we just look at the number crunching the system clearly forcing you to do it. Open youre eyes ppl, dont say its not forcing coz it is!! At the end of the day its still beta they hopefully will come up with a satisfayng solution.