test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forced to use Pets/Companions?

enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Not really happy to learn we have to use pets. And yes I know I can simply not use one but when it doesn't take up a party member slot there is absolutely no reason not to use it. I think for what they bring to the table it should occupy a party slot. Because current system boils down to... example: Guardian, Rogue, 2H Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and like 5 random Pet/Companion(s) in your dungeon. Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen. It poo poos on Rangers and Conjurers as well.

Also how fun is it to be a Rogue/Assassin with some random NPC following you.. Thats an RP buzz kill in itself.

Around 17:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by enderlin50 on

Comments

• blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Not really happy to learn we have to use pets. And yes I know I can simply not use one but when it doesn't take up a party member slot there is absolutely no reason not to use it. I think for what they bring to the table it should occupy a party slot. Because current system boils down to... example: Guardian, Rogue, 2H Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and like 5 random Pet/Companion(s) in your dungeon. Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen. It poo poos on Rangers and Conjurers as well.

Also how fun is it to be a Rogue/Assassin with some random NPC following you.. Thats an RP buzz kill in itself.
    reminds me of once long ago seeing rogues and druids stealthed in wow running around with their harmess pets trying to gank and spotting them a mile away :)
  • providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree and it seems a little strange. TESO is also doing a somewhat similar thing. Pets are rad and all, but every single person is going to have them so I'm not sure why they made that decision.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And devs are tossing around ideas of larger man content. So imagine a 20-man raid with 20 pets as well =/ Bye bye FPS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    I'm not positive, but I'd imagine that the utility they add is negligible enough that if you felt like not using them for purposes of role playing probably wouldn't negatively impact you. It's a trade-off that some people may be willing to make.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I agree with the OP. Making pets something anyone can use kinda trivializes classes/concepts that actually involve a pet vs. those that have one simply because the game allows it and you're better off with the extra help. Though, maybe classes that normally have pets will get some pet-related benefit. That would be cool, but I doubt that it will happen or that the devs have planned it at least.

Still, we'll have to wait and see what exactly pets are like. Its might turn out they aren't very good battle companions regardless and more like an RP/cosmetic thing.
  • sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree with the OP. Making pets something anyone can use kinda trivializes classes/concepts that actually involve a pet vs. those that have one simply because the game allows it and you're better off with the extra help. Though, maybe classes that normally have pets will get some pet-related benefit. That would be cool, but I doubt that it will happen or that the devs have planned it at least.

Still, we'll have to wait and see what exactly pets are like. Its might turn out they aren't very good battle companions regardless and more like an RP/cosmetic thing.

One of the Devs in Feb 6th video had a rock golem.. He said it kept agro and all. Just throwing in what i heard not sure if it helps. But thought that was cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    providentt wrote: »
    I agree and it seems a little strange. TESO is also doing a somewhat similar thing. Pets are rad and all, but every single person is going to have them so I'm not sure why they made that decision.

Source? Never came across this in any ESO interviews I've listened to. Maybe I missed this but I want to know where this is coming from.

But back to topic, I hate and loathe any form of henchmen or companions. ANet went away from companions for a reason and in DDO at a certain level they are completely obsolete. Mostly I have about henchmen and companions is that it typically comes with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> AI which the MMORPG stream proved it when the wizzy companion ran off and aggroed something. And really this pet system should remain in pet classes like the Druid and the Ranger, I am hopeing that Cryptic brings in a beastmaster ranger and whats a druid without his/her animal companion?
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Source? Never came across this in any ESO interviews I've listened to. Maybe I missed this but I want to know where this is coming from.

But back to topic, I hate and loathe any form of henchmen or companions. ANet went away from companions for a reason and in DDO at a certain level they are completely obsolete. Mostly I have about henchmen and companions is that it typically comes with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> AI which the MMORPG stream proved it when the wizzy companion ran off and aggroed something. And really this pet system should remain in pet classes like the Druid and the Ranger, I am hopeing that Cryptic brings in a beastmaster ranger and whats a druid without his/her animal companion?

Around 17:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shado152shado152 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    the pet system in my mind is ok but they could make it so that if your party is full they get disabled for dungeons so as to not make them so abusable id be happy if they somehow made it that pets would only go with you in dungeons if you didnt have a party because we all know that there are gonna be those hardcore people getting the best ingame gear wanting to solo themand i think itd be cool if when you go into a dungeon without a full party the pets come in to fill for the dps that your missing and if you go in with a full party they dont go with you as to keep it challenging and not have too much dps being done by them
    Beta Testing Pending
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I believe it's from this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfKQEGOzUrc

I may have linked the wrong one (don't have time to go through and find the exact part), but it's definitely in one of the ESO Casts.
  • soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sakuda13 wrote: »
    One of the Devs in Feb 6th video had a rock golem.. He said it kept agro and all. Just throwing in what i heard not sure if it helps. But thought that was cool

Zeek mentioned that it held a little aggro, my guess would be it has a taunt ability on CD and will give you a slight respite before you pull the aggro back.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Your thread title is misleading.

You are not forced to use companions.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Things to count on in a Cryptic game:

-Extreme amounts of customization
    -Cryptic ignoring bug reports
    -Exclusivity of items not meaning jack
    -Extreme pet spam
  • johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Because pets are something they can sell in cash shop, that's why they do it and players love to collect pets. Nuff said.
  • mrfoxxmrfoxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 62
    edited February 2013
    Everyone can use pets, how the hell is that the same as being forced to use pets.
  • kheallerkhealler Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I clearly saw a "dismiss" button in most of the videos. Besides how do we even know how a pet will hold itself during combat or a dungeon. We can't say we have tried the game yet, now can we?
  • sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    Your thread title is misleading.

You are not forced to use companions.

Indeed., extreme overreaction from the original poster at this point in time.
    edited February 2013
    Things to count on in a Cryptic game:

-Extreme amounts of customization
    -Cryptic ignoring bug reports
    -Exclusivity of items not meaning jack
    -Extreme pet spam

I was counting on the highlighted one till I heard they're copying games with lame customization like GW2 and TERA by using dyes *pukes* for changing colors and they're using visible armor which may (remains to be seen) limit customization somewhat. Now I'm holding off till release or CO/STO LTS'er beta to confirm what we really get.
    in all honesty, I am not sure how this could ruin actual pet classes, in fact it may even have the possibility to make pet classes better. if a "pet class" had something that increases pet damage, and also effected their companion it could be fairly good. I don't see how having a companion and a personal pet would ruin it.

Live together or die alone, neverwinter online seams to give you some one to live with!
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    At least now I know to never open those pet grab bags. :) Kinda like vehicle lockboxes in Champions Online!

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited February 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »
    in all honesty, I am not sure how this could ruin actual pet classes, in fact it may even have the possibility to make pet classes better. if a "pet class" had something that increases pet damage, and also effected their companion it could be fairly good. I don't see how having a companion and a personal pet would ruin it.

Live together or die alone, neverwinter online seams to give you some one to live with!

Only if they actually get those benefits, which we don't know if they will.
    clcmercy wrote: »
    At least now I know to never open those pet grab bags. :) Kinda like vehicle lockboxes in Champions Online!

Oh, we'll get a grab bag/lockbox (or maybe locked treasure chest) everything. I just hope we don't have to gamble away for the chance to maybe get access to a new race or class (but who am I kidding? that's probably how we're gonna get them :rolleyes:).
    As others have mentioned, you are not forced to use a companion, and nothing has been released that states it is essential to use one. However, if you choose not to use all of the tools at your disposal, then do not be surprised if things are more difficult.

I am sure if you do not wish to manage the companion you can basically set it and forget it and it will happily deal damage, tank, or heal without any input from you.
  • gwenzelthargwenzelthar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You give em a pet they complain, you dont they complain...:P

Personally i like em, if i dont want it out...dismiss
    jonforgottenrealmssmall.jpg
    "I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"
    edited February 2013
    You give em a pet they complain, you dont they complain...:P

Heh. While I agree with the OP on the concerns about what this could mean for pet classes, I also have to agree with this^

I would much rather they give special pet benefits for pet classes, but allow anyone to have pets than not have the option to have them. Plus people would complain if they didn't have them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • simpathicsimpathic Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well even in regular D & D most classes had a companion of some form or another. With the exception of rogue/warrior/ and cleric depending on the god. Wizards/mages have familiars Druids/rangers have companions. Paladins had there special steed that could fight with them. + as a general rule most gamers like to have some type of companion. Brings an added Depth to soloing. I'm sure that in grp instances or raids that there will probably be some sort of mechanic that keeps you from using them. Granted if you are really into world pvp it can make it a pain especially if the companion scheme is as intricate as swtor. I really don't see that happening though. Wouldn't fit the work up of the world.
  • geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i dont mind. Bring on muh pets!
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I for one would love to see some Henchmen "pets" in the game. Not just panthers and such.

It was one of my most loved times with a very old mage/thief character, earning his henchmen via RP with the DM, eventually building his thieves guild, bulding his rowdy rabble of burglurs and pick pockets. I really hope that Henchmen are put in, along with personal residences To Build, not just buy a mildly customizable one from the store like CO's Hideouts.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Form a vid i saw the companions range from animal to elemental types to actually henchman like. They also mention they had plan/idea for actually pet classes, which one, suggests they will come in eventually and two, they will have and advantage. I think this could be have a companion and pet out, or if companain certain type ie animal for druid or ranger, then it get buffed abit and generally better than average companion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.