test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why all the "This isn't an MMO" Hate

askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Honestly, having played nearly every MMO since Meridian 59 and dozens of MUDs going back to the days to 300bps modems I'm frankly quite sick of what the modern MMO has become. Yes I loved Wow up until Lich King. Love EQ1. Love UO. Loved LOTRO for the first couple years. All of those games eroded away. From outright hostile players and rampant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-baggery every 5 minutes, to loot drama, to min/maxers, elistist, etc... The "MMO" now days makes me sick to my stomach. I used to be a hard-core raider, honestly, I don't even care to bother with it anymore. The logistics and headache of trying to get enough people to show up on time and get along is just too hard now days.

That is why I'm hoping this game will be a breath of fresh air. I think the format of this game and the foundry will make online play more enjoyable again.

Right now is the longest I have ever gone w/o playing any MMO since my first modem way back in the day. After Tera, Secret World, GW2, SWTOR and Rift all left me disappointed I somehow got lured back to WoW for MOP and lasted 2 weeks. I've since taken a complete break and have been playing Skyrim and even the older Baldur's Gate revamp.

So stoked for this game though.. I've always loved creating campaigns and stuff for people.

I'm hoping all the socially-challenged problem players stick with WoW and let this game have a chance.
Post edited by askopdkapok on

Comments

• Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, I have come to realize that no matter what you offer, it's not enough for some people, they want more.

It's a completely free game, they want it to be more free-er.
    It's an action combat system, they want it to be more action combat-ier.
    It's an MMO, they want it to me more MMO-er.
    It offers founder packs with perks, they want it perkier (then again, don't we all ;))

You get the point there, people are going to complain, because they can and many because they feel they have the right to.

I, like you, a sick of the MMO genre and it's hell spawn that it attracts and have allotted my free time to other games (Far Cry 3 most recently which is pretty awesome) and reading (Mostly the Neverwinter trilogy which I highly recommend before playing this game).

I long for a game like NWN that has user created MP adventures with an on-the-fly DM controlled environment and this comes pretty close with the foundry, which I suspect I will probably spend a majority of my time in. You listening Cryptic? Give us a table top system for DM ran adventures as a type of mini-game built into NWO and you will have me interested for a very, very long time!

At any rate, bottom line, people complain and when a game is free, more people complain.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Honestly, having played nearly every MMO since Meridian 59 and dozens of MUDs going back to the days to 300bps modems I'm frankly quite sick of what the modern MMO has become. Yes I loved Wow up until Lich King. Love EQ1. Love UO. Loved LOTRO for the first couple years. All of those games eroded away. From outright hostile players and rampant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-baggery every 5 minutes, to loot drama, to min/maxers, elistist, etc... The "MMO" now days makes me sick to my stomach. I used to be a hard-core raider, honestly, I don't even care to bother with it anymore. The logistics and headache of trying to get enough people to show up on time and get along is just too hard now days.

That is why I'm hoping this game will be a breath of fresh air. I think the format of this game and the foundry will make online play more enjoyable again.

Right now is the longest I have ever gone w/o playing any MMO since my first modem way back in the day. After Tera, Secret World, GW2, SWTOR and Rift all left me disappointed I somehow got lured back to WoW for MOP and lasted 2 weeks. I've since taken a complete break and have been playing Skyrim and even the older Baldur's Gate revamp.

So stoked for this game though.. I've always loved creating campaigns and stuff for people.

I'm hoping all the socially-challenged problem players stick with WoW and let this game have a chance.

Let me break it down to a much easier to understand statement.

They hate because they be haters! Done. ;)
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I have to agree, I mean, people complain about something, get it, then have 2 other things to complain about. I don't know if they just want attention, can't shut up, or they are just that needy. I feel sorry for people who can't just be happy and enjoy. Americans especially have a huge silver platter mentality and they don't even deserve to be that way. ( I am american by the way. )Though I guess if I was poor, or lonely, or stuck in the house with a social disorder, I'd complain a lot too.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    xenozenoxenozeno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The online gaming community reminds me of my ex-girlfriend. Never happy with what they are given, always complaining and crying for more. Everything could be perfect... but there will always be something.
  • Options
    shadowp00nshadowp00n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You guys do know you are complaining about the complainers...right?:)
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Angry ppl scream the loudest. Its natural to be active when something disturbs you. When everything's alright, you chill out and take a nap... its very primal behavior.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People have expectations about MMOs and alot of it includes progression raiding, loot grinding, uberguilds, world bosses, and PVP spawncamping, and if something doesnt fit those rigid expectations hammered into their heads by earlier games where leveling is just a footnote in a game entirely built around raid content, then people try and say its not an MMO. I myself dont believe that the definition of MMO means that it has to adhere to some strict standard. Companies have been trying to figure out how to build games that cater to both casual gamers and hard core alike, and doing so means building a game that goes far outside the box of mutually exclusive definitions where it either has to be one or the other.
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's always been this way, but I think the lowest common denominator within the genre has simply gotten even lower as time has gone by. When I got into EQ beta almost everyone I met or played with was in college or had a degree. Now most people I meet are in highschool at best. That's not to say age equals (im)maturity, but it does seem indicative of the bar being lowered.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm interested enough in this game to give it a try - and I can do so without spending anything aside from my time. If I decide at that point that whatever they have to offer and choose to pay for whatever that content is and support the company I can choose to do so. If I don't like the game enough to do so, I'll either play whatever free content there is or go find a different game to play - there are an innumerable amount of games to choose from nowadays (many free ones).

More to the point, I think maybe the MMO aspect is that it seems that much of the content is instanced and that everyone's not running around in the same open world. But every MMO is instanced in some way - either via servers or via shards or via instancing on a "megaserver" - unless there is a game that has so few players that a single instance can support them all. If that's correct (much of the content is instanced), we'll just have to see how much that matters. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it, but I'll reserve judgement until I can have an opportunity to play it.
  • Options
    jimhonjimhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    I see you wow kids "this isn't an mmo" and raise you...

*Combat Engaged*
    Little moves to cast divine fury upon large beholder.
    Fingolfin cleaves large beholder for 18 damage!
    Fingolfin swings at large beholder with his starsteel greatsword!
    Fingolfin cleaves large beholder for 15 damage!
    Gandalf makes a complex circling gesture!
    A withering blast of dragonfire sears large beholder for 89 damage!
    Madman casts godstrike on large beholder for 51 damage!
    White fires a plasma bolt at large beholder for 66 damage!
    You make a complex circling gesture!
    A withering blast of dragonfire sears large beholder for 134 damage!
    Little summons divine fury upon large beholder for 57 damage!
    The beholder gazes at Little with an eyestalk!
    The large beholder bites Little for 27 damage!
    The large beholder bites Little for 28 damage!
    Fingolfin critically cleaves large beholder for 45 damage!
    The beholder suddenly swells up and explodes in a release of magic!
    You gain 4000 experience.
    *Combat Off*
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

OMG this is EXACLTY what happened to me.. Creepy.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    castagyre wrote: »
    It's always been this way, but I think the lowest common denominator within the genre has simply gotten even lower as time has gone by. When I got into EQ beta almost everyone I met or played with was in college or had a degree. Now most people I meet are in highschool at best. That's not to say age equals (im)maturity, but it does seem indicative of the bar being lowered.

Yea we were just talking about this at work. Back in the early days of UO and EQ1 most of the people online where college students (and then mostly engineering type student) and techies. I miss the social experience I had in UO.. and MUDs. People that never played MUDs and started out with something like Wow don't understand how much fun they were for the time. It was like a giant chat room only you had a character, equipment, spells and could kill stuff.

Miss those days. Sadly they are gone for good. Doesn't matter how good a game it is, it will still be rife with problem players.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    bluesteel8 wrote: »
    OMG this is EXACLTY what happened to me.. Creepy.

I've also dropped 30 pounds, hahahaha. Miss a lot less workouts now not logging 20+ hrs a week in an MMO. My dog is seeing much more of the world now to, haha.
  • Options
    ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    xearrik wrote: »

^-- This.
    Perspective != Logic.
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jimhon wrote: »
    I see you wow kids "this isn't an mmo" and raise you...
    Yeah right I can crush your belief that WOW players are kids!
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/12/22/the-wow-factor-page-2/
    Research from year 2010... in USA at that time WOW USA average player age was 30! Today it would be more like 32-33!

WOW is the best MMO that I have played! I played Baldurs Gate games in 90 ies with my brother in LAN. Both my brother and sister have enjoyed WOW.

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 was great due to community made content. I also like very much the LOTR movies.

Trust me that WOW players are kids is a myth. I played WOW for 3.5 years and stopped playing WOW in year 2011. Neverwinter is a MMO though yes in some aspects it is very different and in other aspects similiar to WOW.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xearrik wrote: »

Yep all of this mock outrage is just hilarious...some of these trolls (sorry that is wht they are) live to hate on any MMO that isn't their pet game.

After all "Thierz k@n b 0nly 1zor" :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually, hating game is not wrong - it is just an opinion.

What puzzles me however is, why would one post something here if they 'hate it'? Why not ignore it?

There are two answers.

Answer 1:- They are just crying for attention. By saying something most people would think is wierd, people would react to it and they can grab attention. Not troll, but kind of vain behavior.

Answer 2:- They actually deeply love the game but are shocked because 1 feature they loved a lot has not been implemented. These are the best fanboiz of the game - just angry and lashing out for a while.

~~~~
    (No I do not come in category of fanboi. I am a proper NW fanatic. "Kill all other games! NW will rule!")
  • Options
    sh4rd27sh4rd27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For me the problem is the pvp that is used today in mmo. We could not find anything like Ultima Online and lineage 2. Always arena and bg, this is bs man! And Neverwinter will be the same thing, I'd really like a place where we can level up and pvp at same time, one place at least.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    xenozeno wrote: »
    The online gaming community reminds me of my ex-girlfriend. Never happy with what they are given, always complaining and crying for more. Everything could be perfect... but there will always be something.

Or my current wife, the one right now who is spending hundreds with our daughters at the mall.

BTW I'm glad my wife doesn't internwebz. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    kojancruxkojancrux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The issue is simply summed up: Expectations. Instead of people looking at a game and appreciating the work, fine details, etc put into it and just playing it to enjoy what was made.

This applies to ALL genres, not just MMO, we also lack originality due to the mass of consumers with said "expectations". And on top of that this internet craze is being rid of finished products being sold since they can just release updates/patches.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Actually, hating game is not wrong - it is just an opinion.

What puzzles me however is, why would one post something here if they 'hate it'? Why not ignore it?

There are two answers.

Answer 1:- They are just crying for attention. By saying something most people would think is wierd, people would react to it and they can grab attention. Not troll, but kind of vain behavior.

Answer 2:- They actually deeply love the game but are shocked because 1 feature they loved a lot has not been implemented. These are the best fanboiz of the game - just angry and lashing out for a while.

~~~~
    (No I do not come in category of fanboi. I am a proper NW fanatic. "Kill all other games! NW will rule!")

I absolutely detest the sandbox model of MMO gaming and I came from MMO gaming at the begining in 1999 with Asherons Call but a game that acts more like a second life has never appealed to me especially a game like ArcheAge that espouses these wonderous systems like farming/grinding 1 spot mobs, PK honor killing, Farming (real life farming like growing crops), politics and jail/jury systems. If I wanted that I would go back out into the real world but the thing and difference between me and the hater is you'll never see me on an English AA forums esposuing my dislike of their style of game or trying to turn it into NWO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »

I am confused in context of your quoting my post in that reply.
  • Options
    taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

My thoughts are identical to yours.

The problem is, that gaming companies do not cater to community orientated guilds anymore. Most if not almost every self proclaimed MMORPG company is just milking the cow now and it works, so why change it, from a buisness point of view.

I believe that with the amount of people that Blizzard injected in to the MMORPG industry, that there is more then enough room again for games that promote the requirement for guilds and strong, deep, inventive, imaginative and immersive game play.

What makes me laugh is how people replying in this thread think you are asking for more. Not only do I fear for the level of education that people are recieving in life, but I fear for humanity itself.

You know what they say right, for us to evolve as humans and become a smarter and stronger race, we need to not destroy each other first........lets see what will happen.
  • Options
    taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    kojancrux wrote: »
    The issue is simply summed up: Expectations. Instead of people looking at a game and appreciating the work, fine details, etc put into it and just playing it to enjoy what was made.

This applies to ALL genres, not just MMO, we also lack originality due to the mass of consumers with said "expectations". And on top of that this internet craze is being rid of finished products being sold since they can just release updates/patches.

Thats the issue right there, games aren othing more then eye candy now days, shallow and uninventive. Lack of imagination. Nothing new, just stuff rehashed over the past 20 years in some new formatt, but the same.
  • Options
    jambalayajakejambalayajake Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    did you ever play land of the red dragon on a 26k modem on a b.b.s? those were the days......
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Yeah right I can crush your belief that WOW players are kids!
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/12/22/the-wow-factor-page-2/
    Research from year 2010... in USA at that time WOW USA average player age was 30! Today it would be more like 32-33!

WOW is the best MMO that I have played! I played Baldurs Gate games in 90 ies with my brother in LAN. Both my brother and sister have enjoyed WOW.

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 was great due to community made content. I also like very much the LOTR movies.

Trust me that WOW players are kids is a myth. I played WOW for 3.5 years and stopped playing WOW in year 2011. Neverwinter is a MMO though yes in some aspects it is very different and in other aspects similiar to WOW.

No but they certainly act like kids.

Yes bitching about bitching is still bitching. I've got nothing better to do while I am sitting in meetings than read the forums recently and respond. I do hate however, I hate poor people and those who cry about getting pked, though hate is a strong word. I'd go with amusing and a lot of sorry feelings.......kind of.
    You'll never get a perfect MMO, you just need to find the game that you get the most enjoyment out of because when it comes down to it, it is just a game. ( though I know how important a virtual world is for some of you people. )
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    its like the picture "this is not a cigar"

It is a MMO. a MMO is a game where you have classes, levels, in a persistant world with thousands of other players. which Neverwinter will have Its just more action based and there are a lot more "instances " in the game with the Foundry and all but this is a MMO not a lobby game.
  • Options
    firstrangersfirstrangers Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This one time, at bandit camp...
    Fight smarter not harder.
  • Options
    nanudonanudo Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Money money money is all about money, that is what makes me sick to me... I remember when a player get payd for a beta, then had people who say, i could pay to play, so game industry took advantage of that.

What we have today is the result of player choices and suggestions, thats all, but seems that there are more players with more money than me, now ,what games industry will listen at ? Players with money or without money....
  • Options
    shado152shado152 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013

this community seems to already have a few of those elitest people around i mean seriously ive seen a ton of people just BS & moan over the founders packs and seriously in my ears its just this that im hearing
    "you want me to pay for stuff ingame pfft seriously you want me to pay for stuff in a game that your letting me play for free and if i dont pay you money i dont get the same stuff people who paid money get blasphemy wtf is wrong with you people D:<"
    Beta Testing Pending
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]