Install Arc
Options

Why all the "This isn't an MMO" Hate

2»

Comments

• Options
    valkyriechosenvalkyriechosen Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    I can only comment on my own experience in online gaming and MMOs in general. My introduction to online gaming was with NWN, shortly after the release of the Underdark expansion. I had been acting as a DM in a Star Wars forum RPG, and wanted to be a player, and just enjoy a game from that perspective, and a friend told me about this really great server in Neverwinter Nights. I had the game already, but had only gone through the single player content (why would I want other people to ruin my perfectly good playing experience?), so I decided to pick up the required expansions, download the CEP, and give it a go. It was my first experience with RP, as well as any kind of online play (I thought someone was insulting me when I first saw them ask me if I was AFK, as I tried to piece together what the nefarious acronym might mean).

That said, I spent several years on the server, until it ultimately closed down. I hopped to a few other servers, and kept playing NWN almost exclusively until about 2009. It was a very good experience, in terms of the community, the game and developer tools, and the seemingly unending story possibilities, as well as the customization the CEP brought to character appearance. I still haven't found any vanity system I like as much as the NWN1 armour customization (with CEP), where you just make your armour look the way you want, with almost no restrictions. All in all, I came to expect a really high standard in both online games, and the online (or at least RP) community.

My gaming experience since then has been tinted through NWN shaded glasses (it's kind of a diamondy-platinum), where I'm always trying to find something that, in my opinion, is at least up to par with it. There are some great MMO's out there, really, but none of them come close to the actual depth that a modest sized, and decently developed NWN server and its community seemed to have. I think I noticed this most recently when TOR's vanity/armour system was such a dinosaur in comparison to the original NWN Platinum edition, and it seemed that Bioware had gone back 10 steps in the vanity department alone. What NWN brought to the gaming world was a gem that is difficult to match in terms of the absolute freedom it gave developers and players, who enjoyed such a wide range of playstyles (creating servers ranging from Arena/PvP, to Story-Driven, to persistent RP worlds, extremely in-depth crafting CNR systems, or even just glorified chat rooms).

I never needed PvP gear to PvP, and there were no 'raids' as they are understood now. I picked up my trusty sword of kill some stuff, and killed some stuff or player characters as needed. There was little to no griping about class X is overpowered (at least on the heavily policed RP servers I was a part of). You expected the strengths and weaknesses that went with them, and utilized them or avoided them. If I wanted to make the best sword the game would allow, I got some friends together and slew the toughest monster that could be found to get the extremely rare magical dragon liver as a component, and then found another five monsters, that were equally as dangerous, to round out the recipe. I can't think of a single raid monster in any game that's as difficult/intimidating to fight as a dragon that can permakill your maximum levelled character in two hits, on a server where it takes more than a year to reach said maximum level.

With all of that on the table, I can see where people become disillusioned with the MMO genre, particularly those who see 'the golden age' of gaming in the era between 2000-2008. Most of the mature gamers (25+) that I know tend to agree with the general idea that games are becoming easier, dumbed down, graphics oriented (i love graphics), and highly shortened cash grabs. Most games I pick up for the 'Next Gen' consoles tend to last a weekend before they are tossed in the pile of conquered games. People are searching for that gem among all the muck that is the typical, overdone MMO. I have at least modest hopes for Neverwinter, due to the Foundry (getting overly excited about games these days tends to be a lesson in futility).

If there is specific hate against NWO, claiming that it's not an MMO, then I can't really say much. If there is Massive support for Multiple players, and it's an Online game, then it's an MMO, whether it holds to all the tired conventions or not. Whether or not people think it fits with their diamondy-platinum lined idea of a perfect game is really just a matter of preference. There's a lot of potential in NWO, but potential is always a two-sided coin, where one toss gets you gold, and the other gets you the gutter, and people will keep getting more entrenched until they can play the game, at which point they'll just get even more entrenched in what they think is ideal.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    No but they certainly act like kids.

Yes bitching about bitching is still bitching. I've got nothing better to do while I am sitting in meetings than read the forums recently and respond. I do hate however, I hate poor people and those who cry about getting pked, though hate is a strong word. I'd go with amusing and a lot of sorry feelings.......kind of.
    You'll never get a perfect MMO, you just need to find the game that you get the most enjoyment out of because when it comes down to it, it is just a game. ( though I know how important a virtual world is for some of you people. )
    Yeah maybe sometimes kidlike but there is a reason for that. When you play hardcore WOW for lots of hours and then you have to wait for someone who is afk it is only natural that many people want to do something fun with emotes like dance etc.

Guild Wars 2 community are like kids they demand equal equal items and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about grind when Guild Wars 2 is ridicously casual. GW2 is a casual carebear game.

NeverwinterNights community? Well I got mixed feelings about it many players are ok. However in my experience Neverwinter Nights community has also annoying people. Worst kind were the server administrators and GM of persistent worlds like for example Layonara. Worst kind of hardcore roleplayers. Roleplaying for fun can ok, but when enforced is really <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!

I am really happy there are only Cryptic server holders and not some annoying proud hardcore roleplay players that acts as GM and are server holders. There is NO support for GM client or player driven persistent worlds as it should be!

I got temporary banned in Layonara persistent World. For what reason? Harrasing players? No they told me that running around and kill monsters is to powergaming that I should only do story questing!
    Granted I am a powergamer and I certainly hunt monsters if it is more rewarding then some lame story.

Another annoying hardcore roleplay server that I visited like 5 minutes until I met a GM who demanded that I should always walk and not run around to uphold hardcore roleplaying.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Yeah maybe sometimes kidlike but there is a reason for that. When you play hardcore WOW for lots of hours and then you have to wait for someone who is afk it is only natural that many people want to do something fun with emotes like dance etc.

Did you just say "WoW" and "hardcore" in the same sentence, with a straight face?
  • Options
    melanderimelanderi Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users, Silverstars Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Hey guys, please remember to keep your posts constructive! Dissent is fine but trolling/flaming and insults are not.
    Pixilated Community Entity
    @Effreet in game
    Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. Learn them, Love them
  • Options
    mensarmensar Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    melanderi wrote: »
    Hey guys, please remember to keep your posts constructive! Dissent is fine but trolling/flaming and insults are not.

How dare you make sense and present logic?

Can't you see this isn't the place for it? :P

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • Options
    averytingwongaverytingwong Member, NW_CrypticDev, Moderators, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey! Another Meridian 59er! I thoroughly enjoyed that game as well, along with the original UOa. Ah, the good old days. :)
    Visual FX Artist - Neverwinter, Environment Artist - City of Heroes/Villains, Champions Online
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Did you just say "WoW" and "hardcore" in the same sentence, with a straight face?
    Yes hardcore in the sense that WOW rewards players that play a lot in time with more power. The loot system is everlasting they always release next tier of power. Everquest was hardcore in pure levelling time according to the stories that I have heard.

Eve Online has hardcore learning curve i.e not easy to learn. From other forums when people could vote what makes a game hardcore 2 issues won and those were:
    A. How much time you spend on it.
    B. How serious is the game for you.

Those A and B is what according to majority is hardcore.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    melanderi wrote: »
    Ok I humbly edited my post to more "acceptable". I want no problems though yes I guess I am not a saint always in my comments. Please respect the lady admin and I certainly did mean no harm to Neverwinter community with my comments.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I often wonder what people thought about BioWare's Neverwinter Nights games, after coming from Stormfront Studios' original Neverwinter Nights MMORPG game from the early 90's? Shame I didn't know anyone who played it really.
  • Options
    paulythebpaulytheb Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would say that it is not a MMORPG, just from what I have seen so far.

More a OARPDL - Online Action Role Playing Dungeon Lobby

This is just my opinion based on the information available to me at this given time.
    (Note to self - Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)