Install Arc
Options

a Little confused about Pure F2p

13»

Comments

• Options
    dieselbob3dieselbob3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Or unique power could be making your fireball look blue instead of normal orange/red with no actual change in how the spell mechanically works.

Also on a side note I enjoy F2P games and I do not in any way find it play to win by being able to gain xp or gold faster. If you care about that so much then pay for it because that is the point of company trying to make some money off the F2P model. They give 1 time item uses or in this case permanent if you Hero of the North. Since you essentially helped pay for the intial development of the game with $200 then you should get bonuses like with Marvel Heroes founder program. If I had the money Id pay it but being a parent I have responsibility to care for family first however does that mean I should not be allowed to play any MMO's because I dont want to spend the monthly cash?

This is the gap that F2P helps to carve out is the people that want to enjoy a game while paying players have someone to socialize and group up with. If game lets you trade money for time to earn the same things then you have to decide what is more valuable to you? Your money in the bank or the free time you have to play a video game?
  • Options
    harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Why are people so cheap man? These people work hard on making this game, help support them and their families.
  • Options
    killercowkillercow Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So they say the game is free to play and then you need to pay 200 dollars to get to play? That is rather intense
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    killercow wrote: »
    So they say the game is free to play and then you need to pay 200 dollars to get to play? That is rather intense

That's a straw man. The game does not cost $200 to play at all. Some unnecessary but beneficial perks, cosmetic, and convenience items cost $200. Playing the game will be completely free. Feel free not to spend a dime, and to just grind your way to everything, if your time is worth less than your money. Those of us whose money is worth less than our time will keep the lights on and the developers paid.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So I have never even bothered reading a F2P games forums. Are they all this wacked out with people complaining that the game is P2W?
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    So I have never even bothered reading a F2P games forums. Are they all this wacked out with people complaining that the game is P2W?

Yes. Absolutely 100% of them. It starts sometimes even BEFORE the decision to go F2P is made, just when somebody discusses the possibility. And at some point, every game in existence gets used by at least one person as an example of doing it absolutely wrong, and by somebody else as an example of doing it absolutely right.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Please do not insult anybody for their choice to pay or not pay.

Feel free to give constructive non-accusatory reasons for whether or not people should pay for the packs. The mods won't ever moderate even if somebody calls the Founders Pack a rip-off as long as it is constructive.

However you may never degrade players for their choice to give their hard earned money to Cryptic or not. The wonderful thing about Free to Play games is that they will never have to.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Don't disagree, Ambi. However, calling the game P2W is incorrect. I can see why some get uppity toward the misinformed/ignorant who believe that any game that doesn't give them everything they want for freeeeeee! simply labels it P2W.

P2W has a specific definition. It's not an additional character slot. It's not beta access earlier than free beta access. It's not a companion (lulz like driztt!) or a background which makes you "look" a certain way, but offers no other advantages over another, in-game earn-able companion or background.

Yes, I got Guardian. No, I don't agree with the HotN package price. But I do get frustrated at explaining a simple concept over and over again to people who really need to know what these terms they hurl around really mean.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    yah this cosmetic and convenience items for sale only not PTW items
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    What if there are (like every other Cryptic game) missions that give you this same XP boost when completed? In CO's case, an even better boost. No cash required.

Do they stack? If they don't stack how much trouble is it to do these missions, how long do they take? If they take a significant amount of time and the person who bought the item could be leveling faster in that time then I don't think this alleviates the problem.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Don't disagree, Ambi. However, calling the game P2W is incorrect. I can see why some get uppity toward the misinformed/ignorant who believe that any game that doesn't give them everything they want for freeeeeee! simply labels it P2W.

P2W has a specific definition. It's not an additional character slot. It's not beta access earlier than free beta access. It's not a companion (lulz like driztt!) or a background which makes you "look" a certain way, but offers no other advantages over another, in-game earn-able companion or background.

Yes, I got Guardian. No, I don't agree with the HotN package price. But I do get frustrated at explaining a simple concept over and over again to people who really need to know what these terms they hurl around really mean.

I find it extremely offensive when people twist the truth and then call them facts, and call opinions fact. :) So can we get all these threads were people are saying this game is pay to win closed? ;)
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Yes. Absolutely 100% of them. It starts sometimes even BEFORE the decision to go F2P is made, just when somebody discusses the possibility. And at some point, every game in existence gets used by at least one person as an example of doing it absolutely wrong, and by somebody else as an example of doing it absolutely right.

QFMFT!
    keirkin wrote: »
    I find it extremely offensive when people twist the truth and then call them facts, and call opinions fact. :) So can we get all these threads were people are saying this game is pay to win closed? ;)
    Only if they directly insult others and refuse to stop when asked. We';ve done it before and will do it again.

Oh, and suggesting illegal things multiple time by different people, that closes threads too.

But normally we just remove the text or user's entire post if something "wrong" was posted.

If we just removed thread posts we didn't like, people would have removed 98% of mine :D

Even "narrow minded" people have the right to their opinion if they state opinion as such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thewis3manthewis3man Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Im pretty pumped either way, sure will bring the goods.
  • Options
    gilbeggerbgilbeggerb Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2013
    I guess I'm one of those people who would really just rather pay my $15 or $20 a month and get on with it.

Iwannaplay Iwannaplay Iwannaplay
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit for image to Shiaika. I just stole it!
  • Options
    killercowkillercow Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    That's a straw man. The game does not cost $200 to play at all. Some unnecessary but beneficial perks, cosmetic, and convenience items cost $200. Playing the game will be completely free. Feel free not to spend a dime, and to just grind your way to everything, if your time is worth less than your money. Those of us whose money is worth less than our time will keep the lights on and the developers paid.

You're welcome.

Am i allowed to play the game? No i am not, unless i pay the 200 dollars. Hence i need to pay 200 dollars in order to be allowed to play. If i need to pay 200 dollars in order to get to play then how is it free to play?
  • Options
    angrybearsfanangrybearsfan Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here is your golden rule. Never forget this rule.

There is NO such thing as a free lunch.

Do you honestly think they created a game that is free to download, meaning no box fee, plus free to play all the content? Why would they do that? What business in their right mind would do that.

In order to seriously play this game, at some point you are going to pay and it is going to be a lot more than 15 dollars a month. They already have a 200 dollar price to get some hero pack so you can play a free game....yeah, except for that 200 dollars you just spent, it is free to play.

Go play Star Trek Online if you want to know what is in store for your wallet with this game.
  • Options
    eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    asdfasdfgf wrote: »
    If you don't want to pay a red cent, but still live a lavish life in-game become a UGC Foundry provider. Players can donate Astral Diamonds to you for providing quality, rewarding, fun content.

This does not mean that anyone will actually be generous enough to make such donations. I think it will also be expected that Foundry Creators will mostly allocate this money to purchasing additional Foundry Project Slots, so as to make more content. I don't think this was meant as an attempt to reward Foundry Creators so much as it was an attempt to ensure that well-liked content creators can continue making content free of charge, while less-liked creators are forced to spend money for more project slots.
  • Options
    wormtoothwormtooth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You are not paying to win when you pay for gold, xp or unique items with similar stats to what can be earned in game.

You are merely paying to not play.