test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free!!!

jackfnkamiijackfnkamii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Will this awsome game ever be free to play,like when betas is over,iv been looking real forword to try this game,but i dont wanna pay to play lol,so hopefull free to play soon or????;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    It will follow a completely Free to Play marketing model.

There will be no subscription option and all core content will be available free of charge. :D
  • aidenolmaidenolm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

There will be no subscription option and all core content will be available free of charge. :D

And it gets better! Assuming Astral Diamonds work like Questionite / Delirium, then you'll be able to play the game to earn Zen and buy whatever is shop exclusive without paying a dime!
  • geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i has 750,000 diamonds i is rich :-p (or will has)
  • peoplenesspeopleness Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I hope you are right. From what I have just heard, Cryptic could potentially be restricting game content to people who pay. For example, buying new classes as they release them. If this happens, then I can foresee them restricting zones, dungeons, races and even gear to players who pay for them. I am very worried and disappointed to have to come to this realisation. I really hope nothing I stated above occurs. =(
  • asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    All you have heard is rumors friend. All classes will be playable(Greg Zinkievich). You will be able to purchase skins for said races though(what we currently know).
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    peopleness wrote: »
    I hope you are right. From what I have just heard, Cryptic could potentially be restricting game content to people who pay. For example, buying new classes as they release them. If this happens, then I can foresee them restricting zones, dungeons, races and even gear to players who pay for them. I am very worried and disappointed to have to come to this realisation. I really hope nothing I stated above occurs. =(

Watch this:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016471/User-Generated-Content-In-MMOs

Be informed.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »

That's a video basically about the foundry. Nothing at all to do with having to pay to unlock archetypes, content, gear, etc. The catch phrase is "all CORE content will be available for free". Anything outside of "core" as defined by Cryptic/PW will be charged for, I'd wager.

Be misdirected.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited February 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    That's a video basically about the foundry. Nothing at all to do with having to pay to unlock archetypes, content, gear, etc.

Be misdirected.

In the video he talks about paying for content and how people don't want to pay for it. Not just GDC content but all content.

"I can foresee them restricting zones, dungeons, races and even gear to players who pay for them." the video does address this.

Just because the focus of the video is UGC doesn't mean there are not other questions that can be answered not relating to UGC from the video.

Be informed
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013

I responded to the other thread already.

I can't promise they won't but I really don't expect them to and if they do I expect that it would be an uncommon or through the roof awesome class. If it's anything except 100% free for all new classes added to the game they might have rare yet justifiably sold classes.
    I can virtually guarantee you that you will not be paying for the Ranger.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    In the video he talks about paying for content and how people don't want to pay for it. Not just GDC content but all content.

"I can foresee them restricting zones, dungeons, races and even gear to players who pay for them." the video does address this.

Be informed

You're still mistaken. It's FOUNDRY related content he's talking about that's not going to be charged for, not things like additional classes like rangers, clerics, druids, etc. Weapons and armor reskins. Lair/base/guild hall placement items. At no point is he talking about regular core game content. Everything in the video is UGC related, with only a thirty second mention of non user generated content in the end, that I saw. That thirty seconds does not absolve any concern for the previous poster's point, but it actually makes it very valid, by the way it was glossed over.

It also raises some concerns about this game for me, personally. By the COO's own words, only 5% of user generated content is "actually any good". That means 95% of what we put out is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Tripe. And yet, in my opinion, it seems that Cryptic/PW is going to just let players have the brunt of the burden of providing content for players to run....basically, just doing the launch work and then walking away, leaving a skeleton crew to produce fluff items for the store's microtransactions. Now, they've probably done a full amount of content designed to let players run from start to finish...but it still seems kinda irresponsible of them to do that. All that talk of "building community" and "being loyal to your small fanbase" really doesn't mean much to me, as I've seen how they treat the one game that was not mentioned in the entire video, except in the title. And Cryptic/PW own the IP for it.

So basically, yeah. Be misdirected so you don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

edited February 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    You're still mistaken. It's FOUNDRY related content he's talking about that's not going to be charged for, not things like additional classes like rangers, clerics, druids, etc. Weapons and armor reskins. Lair/base/guild hall placement items. At no point is he talking about regular core game content. Everything in the video is UGC related, with only a thirty second mention of non user generated content in the end, that I saw. That thirty seconds does not absolve any concern for the previous poster's point, but it actually makes it very valid, by the way it was glossed over.

It also raises some concerns about this game for me, personally. By the COO's own words, only 5% of user generated content is "actually any good". That means 95% of what we put out is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Tripe. Bollocks. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. And yet, from the gist of this video, it seems that Cryptic/PW is going to just let players have the brunt of the burden of providing content for players to run....basically, just doing the launch work and then walking away, leaving a skeleton crew to produce fluff items for the store's microtransactions. Now, they've probably done a full amount of content designed to let players run from start to finish...but it still seems kinda irresponsible of them to do that. All that talk of "building community" and "being loyal to your small fanbase" really doesn't mean much to me, as I've seen how they treat the one game that was not mentioned in the entire video, except in the title. And Cryptic/PW own the IP for it.

So basically, yeah. Be misdirected so you don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

53:15 check it yourself he is certainly not just talking about UGC when he says it.

and he doesn't say 5% is "any good" he says as good as their content. There is a difference.
    edited February 2013

I can't promise they won't but I really don't expect them to and if they do I expect that it would be an uncommon or through the roof awesome class. If it's anything except 100% free for all new classes added to the game they might have rare yet justifiably sold classes.

Currently, the only game that is like this one is DDO. And they charge to unlock races and classes. XP boosts. Gold boosts. Gear. Armor skins. The whole nine yards. Pretty much everything they CAN charge for, they do. The "core content" is still free.....but everything else you pay through the nose for.

Personally, I'd like to think othewise of this game....but it remains to be seen. I reserve judgement until then. However, I also won't be blinded by anticipation and dreams of what the game -could- be.

• vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Short of gear I'd be fine with all of that. Heavens forbid freeloaders be expected to chip in some.
    edited February 2013
    clcmercy,

As somebody who has followed this game since 2011 both inside and out they have on numerous occassions stated that only cosmetic and convenience items would be sold.
    It's been said more times than I can count.

I don't want one of my posts quoted as an official promise in the future if Cryptic chooses to change the policy or make exceptions to the policy but I assure you Cryptic has always said that they will only be selling cosmetic and convenience.
    edited February 2013
    DDO is freemium, not Free to Play.

A more valid comparison would be League of Legends' marketing strategy...but let's get off the topic of other MMO's with that.

Games which are subscription based and convert to a free to play model unavoidably keep a lot of premium subscription based tactics.
    Please don't present rumors as fact on the forums.

I'm all for you stating your opinions and fears but only as that but the wording you're using implies fact and definitiveness contrary to everything Cryptic has stated. I'd be a liar to say I don't fear that at some point they might want to take that path but until they prove otherwise they have said what their marketing strategy is and it does not include selling classes, races or any other non-cosmetic/convenience items.
    edited February 2013
    53:15 check it yourself

...dude. THAT'S THE PART I'M TALKING ABOUT IN MY PREVIOUS POST.....THE POST YOU QUOTED.
    From 53:13 to 54:40. He totally did say "players don't like paying for content.". And yes, it's been said that "core content will be free"...but you're STILL NOT GETTING the fact that core content is defined by Cryptic/PW. Surely content they generate six months from release won't be "core content"...and we'll have to pay for. THIS is the point I'm trying to make. Heck, TWO WEEKS AFTER release, Cryptic/PW can toss out "content" that isn't "core" and charge for it. It's THEIR ball game.
    I was mistaken in the duration of his answer. One minute, twenty seven seconds he devoted to explaining that. In a fifty five minute video promoting user generated content. Smoke and mirrors, bud.

I'm happy that you're excited and fired up about this....heck, I want it to be a good game too....but THAT? That raised all the alarms in my head. Most especially after the way the company has abandoned another one of their titles.

I've voiced my concerns about this, and am perfectly willing to say...we agree to disagree. Truce?

• mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

This made me happy, is that the pew pew bow ranger or the dual weapon ranger?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Don't confuse my assurance with leaking information (which I honestly don't have anyway)

The other thread in question is discussing bows/ranged weapon users most commonly, completely unjustifiably and unforgivably associated with my precious Ranger Class. *rant finished*
    That is the only reason I mentioned it.

I have no idea what classes are being worked on other than the officially announced classes. I just know that even if they did choose to charge for classes they'd be committing suicide by making the only archer (whichever class it may be) pay to play.
    Decent logic, huh? ;)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Okay, it's time for a warning. This is about PROVEN FACTUAL free discussion. I will say that I will be glad to state what is FACTUALLY true, and note when I am or the player is or IS NOT speaking with authority. The information recently posted by users is not factually correct. They do not plan on releasing future content simply to charge for it. Players are NOT taking over from Cryptic.

Cryptic plans classes to be FREE. If this changes they will let all of you know. As noted DDO is freemuim. This is free to play with NO subscription or "gateway purchase" requirements.

Cryptic will have MUCH more than a skeleton crew as they continue working on many things not able to make it in time for launch. I strongly suggest also reading the dev tacker to see their position on things instead of making your own conclusions.

If you have an opinion you MUST state it is your opinion. Saying something else sounds like you speak from authority not opinion. No "gists"

Nobody may state any form of company deception unless you have concrete proof of a factual deception, If any person posts defaming remarks on this topic, it will be edited out if it's confrontational.

And, we don't care what language this is in for everybody, no cursing.

Finally, the ranger class being worked on is melee, not ranged. While it's simple to have enemies with one bow attack animation it's MUCH more difficult to make it a PC attack with multiple animations with multiple powers. In my OPINION, this is likely why they are focusing on one weapon at a time and have not made bow rangers yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Finally, the ranger class being worked on is melee, not ranged. While it's simple to have enemies with one bow attack animation it's MUCH more difficult to make it a PC attack with multiple animations with multiple powers. In my OPINION, this is likely why they are focusing on one weapon at a time and have not made bow rangers yet.

Thanks for this truth.

I will say that IMO i find no bow class fighters at launch or no bow class being the priority after a little distressing. I find the excuse 'the animation is difficult' is a bit thin. I always i appreciate all the info you and abminster give us and undertsand its based on what you are allowed to say.

MY two cets thou i would pay for a bow class but understanding that a bow class is not there biggest priority class wise is very upsetting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Considering my second DDO class was a ranged ranger, I feel for you all.
    But remembering how they...murdered the "adjustments for bows" and never fixed the feats and attacks for them, better right than fast is my view. But dag nabbit i want my bow ranger too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    cleric and wizard have ranged attacks though

the wizard got a lot of CC, its name is even control wizard.

gotta try out Wizard for sure :)
  • peoplenesspeopleness Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Agh, I keep getting annoyed on how limiting and restricting the class' names sound. I wish they would provide more info on just how much you can customize your class. Hopefully we have some cool videos to watch from press when closed beta hits that address just this. =)
  • arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Agh, I keep getting annoyed on how limiting and restricting the class' names sound. I wish they would provide more info on just how much you can customize your class. Hopefully we have some cool videos to watch from press when closed beta hits that address just this. =)
    at least 3 live streams coming today.
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    iamtruthseeker put in a bold warning to stick to either relating known facts or stating that something is just your opinion.

Facts:

1) The top founder's pack is $200, a price that would have paid for past subscription games plus the first year of play.
    2) There is no absolute information about what the diamonds are worth except the price will vary ingame as in other PWE games.
    3) The bottom founders pack does not come with beta access.
    4) More content is promised for later while founders packs are being sold now.
    5) Beta weekends are scheduled.
    6) Other MMOs have promised no sales of nonaesthetic, nonconvenience items and then gone on to later sell them (eg Battlefield Heroes)

My Opinion:

In view of the above I am concerned that desire for short-term profits is hampering the chances of long-term success of this game, or at least reducing the company from making more profits by using a less mercenary approach to this game. Particularly items 1 and 3 above suggest to me that pricing is too high and that more profits would accrue to lowering prices such that the increase in sales would more than offset the lower prices, increase total profits, and present the company as more player oriented in a way that would build a more robust community.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    You can look at what they've done in their past games. There is nothing in CO or STO that's non-cosmetic that you can't either get via in-game means, or get something at least equivalent in power via in-game means. It may be much faster to get via real money, but that's the very definition of Convenience.

I see no reason to think they'd change that here.
    edited February 2013
    syberghost: Just because something equivalent is ultimately available ingame does not make the cash sale of an item merely convenience, at least in theory (and in fact in some already released games). If I can buy a sword +8 in the cash shop and equip it on a level 20 character to use all the way up to a capped level 50 (for example), and there is a sword +8 that is a rare drop in raid endgame content that no one will even let you go along to try for until you are a decked out lvl 50 I would call the cash shop sword pay to win. This is especially true in games with PvP and/or games where people do an equipment check before allowing you along on certain content. The notion that "convenience" items are not also possibly pay to win is very flawed. If my play experience is decidedly gimped if I do not have the convenience items then I would say they are both convenience and pay to win. Now one could certainly say they have a different definition than I do for pay to win, true enough. The thing is, as several other games have already found out to their dismay, if enough people feel as I do or object on similar grounds than failure or reduced profits can occur whatever the "truth" of the feeling.
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    You can look at what they've done in their past games. There is nothing in CO or STO that's non-cosmetic that you can't either get via in-game means, or get something at least equivalent in power via in-game means. It may be much faster to get via real money, but that's the very definition of Convenience.

I see no reason to think they'd change that here.

QFT

syberghost: Just because something equivalent is ultimately available ingame does not make the cash sale of an item merely convenience, at least in theory (and in fact in some already released games). If I can buy a sword +8 in the cash shop and equip it on a level 20 character to use all the way up to a capped level 50 (for example), and there is a sword +8 that is a rare drop in raid endgame content that no one will even let you go along to try for until you are a decked out lvl 50 I would call the cash shop sword pay to win. This is especially true in games with PvP and/or games where people do an equipment check before allowing you along on certain content. The notion that "convenience" items are not also possibly pay to win is very flawed. If my play experience is decidedly gimped if I do not have the convenience items then I would say they are both convenience and pay to win. Now one could certainly say they have a different definition than I do for pay to win, true enough. The thing is, as several other games have already found out to their dismay, if enough people feel as I do or object on similar grounds than failure or reduced profits can occur whatever the "truth" of the feeling.

You can't buy a and won't be able to buy a +8 or equivalent to whatever the "top tier of power magic item" is sword in this game. Stormshade said this many months ago and this has not changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    iamtruthseeker: I gave the sword +8 example to show that just because an item sold in a cash store is equivalent to something that can be acquired ingame, it is not necessarily nonproblematic. I have seen the defense given by very many people that cash store items are always ok as long as they can be gotten ingame also. The argument simply chose a theoretical sword. If you claiming that there will never be a cash store item that has an equivalent ingame item then I withdraw my argument as applies at this point to NW. The same argument would apply to a sword +1, it would just not be as glaring a problem.

The notion that all convenience items are nonproblematic can be a different issue in many cases (although can overlap the argument I gave that you objected to). Consider increased carrying capacity like bags of holding. Very often in past adventures my character would have to drop loot as I could no longer carry more. Someone who had bought a bag of holding could carry more loot than me and thus was able to make money faster, carry more items in need of identification, and also carry changes in armor that had different bonuses to tailor their equipment to circumstances. This translates to leveling faster, being better equipped, and having more productive play sessions. To those that argue that all this is just the result of buying more convenience my point is that it can, although not necessarily, make the delta between the free player and the paid player too great. When that delta is too great you are either in free to be gimped or a pay to win game or both (something that stands in need of farther argument I know but this thread is not the place for that). To those that say simply go back and sell off the problem is time and with some groups they will drop you if you are constantly holding them up. GW2 avoids this problem by allowing you to bank materials from anywhere, if NW has a similar mechanism it will also avoid this problem, of course such a mechanism makes a bag of holding worth far less.

Another convenience item, the XP boost, can also be problematic. More quickly leveling up to acquire higher level loot (as occurs in every game I can think of) also moves in the direction of free to be gimped/pay to win as boosted characters acquire better equipment much more quickly. This allows them to acquire even better loot as their character is better equipped such that the delta between free and paid becomes too great again perhaps.

My points in these posts is NOT to claim that NW will be selling items in their cash store that are beyond anything available by some mechanism to the free player, something your previous response suggests I was arguing (when I was not) along with many other defensive posts on this forum, but that NW might run the risk of having too high a delta between the play experience of free and paid players given the things they have not ruled out selling in the cash store. Also, the event that triggered my concerns to a greater level than I feel for any upcoming F2P was the offering of the $200 founders pack and restriction on beta weekends tied to spending money on the game. This latter state of affairs has already occurred and cannot be denied or brushed aside. My complaint is NOT that players should not have spent that much money, it is, after all, their money. My complaint is that such pricing, including restricting beta weekends so closely to spending money, suggests NW runs the risk of having too great a delta in the playing experience between paid and free. Apparently the $200 player is already $549 and three weekends of beta, and several days of early access ahead of the free player. A lead they may enhance with 750,000 ADs after release.

Please note I am NOT crying about spending money to play. I had planned on spending money on this game. I love D&D and am also super-competitive. I cannot stand P2W as it trades game skill for a willingness to overspend.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    The thing is, as several other games have already found out to their dismay, if enough people feel as I do or object on similar grounds than failure or reduced profits can occur whatever the "truth" of the feeling.

And what STO has found using this exact same model is 2 million players, steadily increasing profits, and steadily increasing concurrency.

If that's failure, I'll take two, with a side of broccoli.