test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free!!!

2»

Comments

• drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost: I hope NW is similarly successful although STO is in a very different competitive situation. I want the game to be a success, not fail.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My complaint is that such pricing, including restricting beta weekends so closely to spending money, suggests NW runs the risk of having too great a delta in the playing experience between paid and free. Apparently the $200 player is already $549 and three weekends of beta, and several days of early access ahead of the free player. A lead they may enhance with 750,000 ADs after release.

It may, or it may not. However it is extremely unlikely PWE/Cryptic is going to change their monatizing plans at this late a date no matter what anyone says on their forums. So all we can realistically do is trust that a company (Cryptic) who currently has 2 other micro-transaction games that are (from all reporting I have seen) doing fine. I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt they have a plan with a reasonable chance of success.
    Please note I am NOT crying about spending money to play. I had planned on spending money on this game. I love D&D and am also super-competitive. I cannot stand P2W as it trades game skill for a willingness to overspend.

No disrespect intended but in my opinion, it appears as though your super-competitiveness is what is driving your reaction to the founders pack. If I had to guess it is making you upset that other people are going to get a head start on you leveling. Now this is just my opinion, and I will admit that I could be wrong, but it really appears that way especially with what you said about xp boost items.

Now there is nothing wrong with that, if that is your fun. If this is the case, I have a bad feeling what I am about to say next will make you more upset. If leveling stays at the speed it appears it is happening at now from what I have seen some people will be at max level before open beta even starts.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just for the record:

stormshade wrote: »
    We have no plans to sell the +5 Radiant Vorpal Sword of Immediate Dragon Slaying in Neverwinter.

There are no plans to make a quick dime off of players who just have to have that +5 suit of magical plate armor that just so happens to be wearable as cloth armor, and have a ridiculous amount of health regen and the ability to store any 6 spells of your choice for a 24 hours period of time.

Nor will will be selling other types of "power".

In short, pay to win is not what we want Neverwinter to be.

Thanks,

Stormshade

And one's worries on details isn't necessarily a whole group's worries, although we often group to like minded people so judging the total concerned affected is often hard to objectively see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin: Certainly my competitiveness also displays itself in forum disputes, shrewd observation. But I am NOT as worried for my own competitive situation as it might appear. If someone "beats" me by paying money I do not take it as a personal loss as far as a competition, the problem is less direct than that. My problem is that when cash advantage replaces too much skill from the success equation then playing the game becomes far less meaningful for me. Also, if leveling is too easy it really hurts my enjoyment of a game. One of the drawbacks for me of GW2 is I kept leveling past my friends when I simply went out to gather resources for my crafting. WoW became ridiculous for me when raids required you already have the achievement before being allowed to go along on a raid where you got the achievement. This made it hard for me to go along on raids that were hard enough to provide much enjoyment.

iamtruthseeker: Good quote, thank you for providing it. Still, ruling out the obvious overpowered items does not mean that items will not be offered that many people will at least perceive as offering too much of an advantage. Devs and players are often in disagreement about such things.