test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Exclusive from The Cyan Firefly

lyiatgissairthlyiatgissairth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Alright guys, I'm new to the forums, but I'm a gaming journalist from The Cyan Firefly. While I can't really go into huge detail, I'd like to let you all know that I'm going to be speaking to Cryptic Devs and getting access to a lot of exclusive info about Neverwinter. I've released a video on my channel on the topic.

If you guys have any questions you want me to try to pass on to the devs, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFA7nanvh9A
(The video)

Edit: For you guys that replied here, I've got a new thread running with the videos I produce. It can be found here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?41291-The-Cyan-Firefly-Beta-Videos
Post edited by lyiatgissairth on

Comments

• Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Going to add any new classes prior to launch if not how soon after launch can we expect to see new ones (same goes for races).

Also expansions etc what kind of pacing can we see? i.e. Raiderz just released in Oct/Nov and they have a new out this month I think (trying to keep examples within PWE stable).

*please update with the reveals:)*
  • Options
    nohaaanohaaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited February 2013
    So jeeeeeeej NDA ends tomorrow?

Excited for what's coming tomorrow :)
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Good for You guys, I asked multiple times to PR to let me in, even had Squez and Craig tell me they would get PR to respond, but still nothing. Well at least I will be on the NOCS with the Squez

(I have a small gaming blog)
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Cool story?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Come on guys, questions! I have a few of my own, but I'm sure there are things you all want to know, concerns you want to express!
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    enchanting gear system ,is it good or standard Korean Chinese system whit 12lvl and huge fail chance
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ingame socializing. Do we have to stand or can we sit down at the taverns?
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Where are the archers?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Ok, so classes (including bow users), enchanting, and emotes. Anything else?
  • Options
    jaelrinyajaelrinya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Where are the gnomes? :D

But here are some questions:

Is there some kind of content that scales to the level of the player? Are there different difficulty options for quests (like in STO the advanced and elite setting)? Do enemies react differently based on the number of people in the party (like in CO where enemies get help from nearby enemy groups)?
    Is there content that is specifically designed for small groups of 2-3 players?
    How do companions work in groups? Can they fill up the party so that small groups can do 5 man group content?
    What is there to do when you reach the highest level? Daylies (for Astral Diamonds, like Dilithium in STO)? Reputation system (like in STO)? Other activieties besides the typical dungeon runs?

Foundry specific:
    Can you add NPCs and enemies in open world zones for a quest or do you have to use the NPCs and encounters that are already there?
    Do the foundry missions scale to the level of the player who starts them? Do they scale if a group does them to be challanging for a group of people? Or do you have to design them for solo play or group play from the ground?
    Can we add boss fights (like in the Dungeon Delves / group instances) to our foundry dungeons to actualy make our own "end game" content?
  • Options
    nohaaanohaaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited February 2013
    I would be really interested to know how big the game is going to be at launch, and what their opinion is on how they can keep players engaged in the game WITHOUT relying on the foundry.

What can we expect in game/world size, is there any comparison to existing games? And can they maybe sum up again what there is to do ingame? Like dungeons/crafting/mini games/exploration/socializing etc? I'm asking because i for one have never heard of item enchanting before (mentioned last page?), and i'm really sure there are a lot of people who don't know about these "little" things.

I'm also assuming (and hoping) they will use the same system as they do in STO?

Bring out good and quality content patches (i haven't played STO, but that's what it looks like?) in regular intervals and see the Foundry as an "extra" for players to keep engaged in the game by themselves, and for themselves.

So not that they are going to rely more on the foundry to get replayability instead of expanding and adding to the game themselves.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Another question that could be interesting; How much of a benefit are the Companions going to be? Will they be crucial to use, or just a small benefit?

Can we expect our own small party with them along (like SWTOR), or is it just an minor increase in strength? What's the maximum of companions that a player can have?
  • Options
    jyadejyade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Any information at all on crafting. There are a few of us wanting at least a little info on it
  • Options
    jaelrinyajaelrinya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jyade wrote: »
    Any information at all on crafting. There are a few of us wanting at least a little info on it

Yes, of course. Didn't thought of that. I knew I forgot something in my post :D.
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Will there be traps, or puzzles (ie: something other than just combat)?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Very good questions, things I didn't even think of.
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jyade wrote: »

Would love to know more about this. Any thing at all about crafting, harvesting?
    Some info about cleric would be nice, some gamplay footage.
    How is death handled in game?

I would love to see in game housing eventually but that is for expansion down the road, I always fall back to EQ2 just for that.
  • Options
    arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    Will there be traps, or puzzles (ie: something other than just combat)?

The chests will sometimes fight :)

Wonder if the ranger can make traps
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Seconded for crafting info. When I am asking for a question, then you know it's lacking info :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you want hard-hitting questions:

Why choose to make a D&D-themed MMO instead of a D&D MMO while the success of DDO proves that the concept is viable?
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    providentt wrote: »

Why choose to make a D&D-themed MMO instead of a D&D MMO while the success of DDO proves that the concept is viable?

Or one could ask, "Why remake DDO?" :rolleyes:

After all, if it is indeed a successful game, why try to steal such a narrow piece of the pie? If it is doing the "D&D MMO" thing so well, and has a seven-year headstart, well, it seems foolish to challenge it directly.

Ultimately, Cryptic is making the MMORPG they feel is the best, and based on its features, it seems fairly unique, or at least as unique as a fantasy MMORPG can really be.
  • Options
    providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well the question is aimed at the devs, not you. Hence the thread.

My point being, this themed MMO is similar to a whole lot more MMOs than the 1 it would be similar to if it was a D&D MMO. A D&D MMO would be a whole lot more unique, despite the existance of one (which takes place in neither the same universe or D&D edition)

Not saying it'll be a bad game, but it's an interesting question that I'd love to hear an answer to.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll answer what the devs told me and others in different threads. Because some rules don't translate to the computer game. Healing surges are a good example where they really tried.

Now my addendum. This is a live action game. Even games that look live (DDO included in places) are actually turn based and the powers and skills don't work the same way as per the rules. Even DDO modified it to some game that was not even CLOSE to original rules because it's an online computer game not a tabletop game.

Still, if the reporter wants to ask that, I have no problem with it, but don't be surprised if that first part is explained why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm trying to understand provid's post. Is he asking 'why make a MMO set in Forgotten Realms instead of making a large multiplayer version of the table top game'?
  • Options
    scottgilligscottgillig Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We know we can customize our character can we customize the look of our gear and compainions?

Tattoo's, color scheme's, barding for mounts, paint/dye schemes for companion animals (or collars).

Green swords, yellow swords, swords that shine or all black?

Healdry devices for shields or cloaks?

Combat is fine for the game, working together is great, customize what our character wears is cool and so is crafting, but will this game allow us to go farther than most and customize things we own or control/
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

That's not hard hitting, the answer is obvious. Because there is already a DDO, and Turbine is far more adept at making that particular type of game.

The 2nd part of that answer which they aren't likely to divulge, which is obvious to anyone who has played Cryptic games, is because their strength as a company comes from making fun combat systems; and not from having particularly deep or complicated games. They did well to play to their strength instead of trying to be something they are not.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm trying to understand provid's post. Is he asking 'why make a MMO set in Forgotten Realms instead of making a large multiplayer version of the table top game'?

Kind of. A lot of the D&D guys are extremely upset that the game isn't mired in dice rolls, multi-classing, and complex rulesets. The whole action game bit really twists their nipples.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    That's not hard hitting, the answer is obvious. Because there is already a DDO, and Turbine is far more adept at making that particular type of game.

The 2nd part of that answer which they aren't likely to divulge, which is obvious to anyone who has played Cryptic games, is because their strength as a company comes from making fun combat systems; and not from having particularly deep or complicated games. They did well to play to their strength instead of trying to be something they are not.

The answer isn't "Because DDO". If MMOs didn't copy each other, there would barely be any of them. Because DDO if anything is an argument in my favour. DDO is the only MMO of its type. Neverwinter follows the footsteps of a huge number of MMOs. Why should they made a D&D MMO? Because DDO. And only DDO.

Your second point about Cryptic games having great combat systems - hells yeah I agree. Just because it's action doesn't mean it can't be D&D though. You simply have low expectations.
    Kind of. A lot of the D&D guys are extremely upset that the game isn't mired in dice rolls, multi-classing, and complex rulesets. The whole action game bit really twists their nipples.

Well aren't you a nice pleasant ray of sunshine?

While this guy is incredibly insulting, uncivil and making an unnecessary mockery of something he doesn't understand, in a way he's correct. However, I'm not flying off the handle raging that Neverwinter is a terrible game because it doesn't have D&D mechanics, and people need to understand that criticism and questions if anything are more valuable than praise, if done correctly. Note that my original post asked a question aimed at the devs as per this thread's purpose and this guy (and others) take it upon themselves to demean and insult people with unpopulist opinions, despite the fact that I didn't even voice an opinion until prompted, but asked a question.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The answer isn't "Because DDO". If MMOs didn't copy each other, there would barely be any of them. Because DDO if anything is an argument in my favour. DDO is the only MMO of its type. Neverwinter follows the footsteps of a huge number of MMOs. Why should they made a D&D MMO? Because DDO. And only DDO.

Ideally you copy aspects yes, but you need something to set yourself apart. What you just described is copying far too much, and is one of the reason the MMO genre has stagnated so badly. I'd much rather have a heavily action based D&D game to go with the more traditional DDO, than have two traditional D&D games where one make a handful of changes but ultimately tries to do the same thing. Especially when Turbine is better at the type of things that would make this game a more traditional D&D game.
    Your second point about Cryptic games having great combat systems - hells yeah I agree. Just because it's action doesn't mean it can't be D&D though. You simply have low expectations.

I have realistic expectations, empirical evidence and stuff. I'm fully aware of what Cryptic is and isn't particularly great at, and to be frank I think you are asking too much.
    Well aren't you a nice pleasant ray of sunshine?

While this guy is incredibly insulting, uncivil and making an unnecessary mockery of something he doesn't understand, in a way he's correct. However, I'm not flying off the handle raging that Neverwinter is a terrible game because it doesn't have D&D mechanics, and people need to understand that criticism and questions if anything are more valuable than praise, if done correctly. Note that my original post asked a question aimed at the devs as per this thread's purpose and this guy (and others) take it upon themselves to demean and insult people with unpopulist opinions, despite the fact that I didn't even voice an opinion until prompted, but asked a question.

Golly gee, I thought I was actually pretty nice about it. Colorful, but not insulting.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Ideally you copy aspects yes, but you need something to set yourself apart. What you just described is copying far too much, and is one of the reason the MMO genre has stagnated so badly. I'd much rather have a heavily action based D&D game to go with the more traditional DDO, than have two traditional D&D games where one make a handful of changes but ultimately tries to do the same thing. Especially when Turbine is better at the type of things that would make this game a more traditional D&D game.

See now THIS is a good, thought out response.

You make good points here. However, there's a big difference between DDO and the D&D game I am envisioning. 4e. 3.5e and 4e are extremely different animals. They would be just as different from each other as any other MMO. There are relatively few mechanics that really translate across these 2 editions. Plus there's the fact that DDO is based in Eberron and Neverwinter is based on Forgotten Realms. So we have both mechanical and lore differences here.

Edit: It should also be noted that I'm not asking for any changes to be made to the game - the time for that is looooong past. I accept the current state of the game and look forward to it greatly. You can see my forum title. I just think the topic is an interesting one that deserves some good, civil discussion.