test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paladins/Rangers ?

simkinfoolsimkinfool Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Has there been any confirmation on if these extremely classic D&D classes will be in at launch?

I primarily ask because without them many of the classic characters in the lore seem... odd?
Post edited by simkinfool on

Comments

• deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not that I know of, not unless it was released on some crazy Asian site and is released there to try to help Neverwinter win Awards, but I Craig said he is sending some one down here to be interviewed on the NOCS and that is one of the questions.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ranger was in the game when it was a watered down co-op, but we haven't heard anything since last November on them from the PWE conversion. Paladins have been quiet from day one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • buddhaonebuddhaone Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If you look at the end of the GWF video just released ,their seems to be a ranger standing around the rogue opening the chest..... take what you will from that
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    buddhaone wrote: »
    If you look at the end of the GWF video just released ,their seems to be a ranger standing around the rogue opening the chest..... take what you will from that
    That one is NPC dwarf named dusty, not a PC
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi Dusty! *waves*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • schweebusschweebus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm thinking the Ranger may be in the way you spec your TR or something. As for the Paly I've yet to hear anything on it
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ranger was in the game when it was a watered down co-op, but we haven't heard anything since last November on them from the PWE conversion. Paladins have been quiet from day one.

I love the paladin in JourneyQuest (the second part), where he goes like 'Oh, what nice architecture around here.' wandering about, while the others torture the daemon. Stupid Paladins... :p

Or even better, in the tavern. The bard convinces the paladin, that there is a daemon outside, the others torture the bad guy in the tavern, while the bard seduces the barmaid and gets most of the information :o
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hope there is a ranger class. I played one in eq1. This game is really looking good. I havn't played a mmo for years but wife reads the D&D books. We might actually play a mmo again. Please put a ranger class in.
    edited January 2013
    Hi Dusty! *waves*

Dusty sees something moving. Being a deepstone sniper, she shoots an arrow.

A voice came, "Not the knee!"
  • vardtelvardtel Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Please list here, everything you know abt what they ARE doing with the classes.
  • vardtelvardtel Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Im hoping they'll have all the classic D&D classes, it isn't D&D without them. My dad was a Rogue Wizard, while I was a Cleric Ranger. Im just hoping they'll let me and my dad play as those again.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Let's not hijack threads vardtel.

This thread is meant to discuss rangers and paladins, not to be a gneral discussion about classes. If you want to know about released Classes there are plenty of threads around such as this thread which has a decent discussion on the current class system.

However I will answer that at launch they will not have multi-classing implemented into the game though it may be added later on. Nor will classes be free build at the time of launch but rather "themes" as I explained in my post in the thread I just linked. Free builds will likely be added later on but will not be available for launch but by no means are "themes" they gives us predetermined builds but rather just not free form choices.

To get back on topic neither the Ranger or Paladin is confirmed to be in the game at launch.

Trickster Rogue, Guardian Fighter, Control Wizard, [Name] Cleric, and Great Weapon Fighter are the only classes confirmed to be available to play at launch. Crypticmapolis did state there are a few unannounced classes scheduled to be released at launch as well though.
    Cryptic has said there is no limit to the number of classes that could be created though so we can expect many more to be released over time.
    edited January 2013
    Let's not hijack threads vardtel....

To get back on topic neither the Ranger or Paladin is confirmed to be in the game at launch.

Not trying to be nosey, but shouldn't paladin be in temple? Why did the martians... I mean martials kidnap one of our divines? I guess no one can resist the shinies.
  • markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013

That's just plain no good. My wife loves archers and while greatly anticipating Neverwinter along with me is so far sighing and relegating herself to cleric. Do you really think a half-hearted cleric is what we want on our team? I don't think so.

As for me, I'm known thoughout every group I've gamed with for having at least one or more paladins with issues somewhere waiting to be used.

Let's tell the Devs. HEY! WHERE ARE THE RANGERS AND PALADINS (dins dins dins...)?
  • lionheart2802lionheart2802 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Other classes will be available at launch, it has been said but for the moment, nothing more revealed.
    But a game without Ranger and Paladin would be more a D&D game and not an AD&D game so... Yes, I thing these two classes will be added. Perhaps Monk and Druid too or later.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you go back far enough, the only classes are Cleric, Fighting Man, and Magic-User. There wasn't even a Thief. Paladin and Ranger are relatively recent additions from that perspective. If memory serves, you had to multiclass into Fighter, Wizard, and Druid to take levels in Bard at one point.

It's all a matter of perspective. That's why I thin it's funny when somebody bemoans the absence of one class over another.
  • arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    aavarius wrote:
    Paladin and Ranger are relatively recent additions from that perspective.

Paladins and Rangers were introduced in supplements to the original Dungeons & Dragons quite soon after its release, in the mid-1970s. They have been around for all but one or two years of the nearly forty years the game has been around, so no, I would not call them "relatively recent additions." :p
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As I said, relatively new from the perspective of those 3 original classes. Again, it's all about perspective, and considering that some people don't move on when editions change, there are bound to be some D&D players out there that still appreciate the game from that perspective.
  • arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    aavarius wrote: »
    As I said, relatively new from the perspective of those 3 original classes. Again, it's all about perspective, and considering that some people don't move on when editions change, there are bound to be some D&D players out there that still appreciate the game from that perspective.

We can argue semantics, but ultimately that is akin to me saying that kindergarten was relatively recent even though I am approaching thirty and can barely remember it. :rolleyes:

The fact is, for over 95% of its existence, Dungeons & Dragons has had Paladins and Rangers. I am not at all miffed about them not being included at launch, but they are definitely staples and their absence cannot be dismissed by virtue of when they were added, as they were added before most of the posters here were born.
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Another way of looking at it is there might be some potential for a game-wide unlock similar to what they did with Froglocs in EQ2. You never know. :)
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
    edited February 2013
    arythor wrote: »
    We can argue semantics, but ultimately that is akin to me saying that kindergarten was relatively recent even though I am approaching thirty and can barely remember it. :rolleyes:

The fact is, for over 95% of its existence, Dungeons & Dragons has had Paladins and Rangers. I am not at all miffed about them not being included at launch, but they are definitely staples and their absence cannot be dismissed by virtue of when they were added, as they were added before most of the posters here were born.
    I guess I should clarify something. I don't think their absence can be dismissed either. I'm just saying it's kind of funny that people get so differently focused on things. Wasn't really trying to make a big deal out of it.

It's sort of like how some people are really into cars and staying on the up and up about cars is a big deal for them. But in contrast, I don't give my car any thought at all. I'm amused at their silly running around for the sake of uninteresting transportation. But when it comes to the nerdy stuff I'm into, well...then I look like the obsessive one.

I'm easily amused, I guess.
    edited February 2013
    aavarius wrote: »
    If you go back far enough, the only classes are Cleric, Fighting Man, and Magic-User. There wasn't even a Thief. Paladin and Ranger are relatively recent additions from that perspective. If memory serves, you had to multiclass into Fighter, Wizard, and Druid to take levels in Bard at one point.

It's all a matter of perspective. That's why I thin it's funny when somebody bemoans the absence of one class over another.

True. People have their own perspective of D&D which they try to pass a default.

It is hard to take such rants seriously. (rants like 'this is not D&D')
  • omniusmagnariomniusmagnari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    someone in another thread confirmed ranger-archer and warlock-scourge as classes
    edited February 2013
    its scourge warlock, not warlock-scrouge.

Apart from it, I said nothing!
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Quote Gillrmn:
    "Not trying to be nosey, but shouldn't paladin be in temple? Why did the martians... I mean martials kidnap one of our divines? I guess no one can resist the shinies."

Well, the business of tanking is more a Barracks topic. I haven't looked at a D&D book since the late 80's, but Paladins are capable of tanking?
    I hope so, a self-healing tank has a great advantage.
    edited February 2013
    In the AD&D days, paladin used to fall under the classification of Warrior, like the fighter and (IIRC) the cavalier.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've always used the Ranger or Paladin as multi-role characters. Strafe from afar then move in for the kill with the Ranger. Paladins are primarily melee combatants but are often in leadership/negotiation roles, they both can heal, but not as effective as a cleric. In terms of role playing, the Paladin was always most difficult with its alignment requirement. In one PnP game we had a Paladin who was very interested in "looting" fallen enemies, seemed a conflict of interest...
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • skeletunskeletun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've always used the Ranger or Paladin as multi-role characters. Strafe from afar then move in for the kill with the Ranger. Paladins are primarily melee combatants but are often in leadership/negotiation roles, they both can heal, but not as effective as a cleric. In terms of role playing, the Paladin was always most difficult with its alignment requirement. In one PnP game we had a Paladin who was very interested in "looting" fallen enemies, seemed a conflict of interest...

Now I guess that would depend on what he did with the loot.
    Sometimes it's not the act but the motivation behind it.
  • daralenmantadaralenmanta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I certainly hope they add paladins sooner rather than later and that they are able to fill a defender/tank role alongside the fighter-guardian. I really miss the way paladins were implemented in EQ and hated the way they were implemented in WoW. I think the people that care would rather paladins stay defenders and not damage focused.
    edited February 2013
    I certainly hope they add paladins sooner rather than later and that they are able to fill a defender/tank role alongside the fighter-guardian.

That's what I'm hoping as well. (Emphasis mine)