test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Characters in the lore and your choice of player character...

jaxxxorixjaxxxorix Member Posts: 125 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Art and Fiction
Hello all.

I just finished reading R.A. Salvatore's Gauntlgrym. This is my first Forgotten Realms book. I picked it up because I wanted to crawl into a bit of the lore before the game is released (and yes, while playing in alpha and beta). I liked how dynamic the characters were/are, how deep, how strong on the outside and how emotionally wounded on the inside. There is definitely something about Drizzt that I am drawn to. I guess Drizzt is a ranger type character...which I'm sure Cryptic will have at launch...they just HAVE to. I've never been into that class or medium amour types...I'm more of a hit and be hit kind of player. If given the chance to run with dual wield scimitars I'd be down for that. The great weapon fighter is the one I'm most drawn to as the game currently stands.

Anyhow, in this blabber there is a question: are there any characters in the FR lore, or D&D generally, that you see yourself modeling your character(s) after?

I know that I am very drawn to the drow race to begin with and to melee/plate wearing classes. Can anyone name any characters in the lore that fit this bill?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by jaxxxorix on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it i better if you put this in Arts section of forum. With beta rush this is going to drown very soon and may escape notice of most people.

People who are interested in this stuff check Arts section for all new threads once in a while and post their comments there.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jaxxxorix wrote: »
    /SNIP

I know that I am very drawn to the drow race to begin with and to melee/plate wearing classes. Can anyone name any characters in the lore that fit this bill?

Thanks in advance!

Try this guy out for size. I don't think he shows up in any of the books, but he fits what you're looking for.

===>Ryld Argith<===
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wish to play something like a good Fzoul Chembryl, as bad as it may sound. Or maybe a less "scholarly" and more "clergy" Cadderly.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013

Anyhow, in this blabber there is a question: are there any characters in the FR lore, or D&D generally, that you see yourself modeling your character(s) after?

Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with your second question.

As for modeling my character after a character in the lore I try to avoid any deliberate copying. I find it easier to play a character that is all mine in build. I also enjoy seeing my character grow and change as time marches on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Okay...now let's see how I do that...move to the arts section, that is. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    (reposted from main forum)

Hello all.

I just finished reading R.A. Salvatore's Gauntlgrym. This is my first Forgotten Realms book. I picked it up because I wanted to crawl into a bit of the lore before the game is released (and yes, while playing in alpha and beta). I liked how dynamic the characters were/are, how deep, how strong on the outside and how emotionally wounded on the inside. There is definitely something about Drizzt that I am drawn to. I guess Drizzt is a ranger type character...which I'm sure Cryptic will have at launch...they just HAVE to. I've never been into that class or medium amour types...I'm more of a hit and be hit kind of player. If given the chance to run with dual wield scimitars I'd be down for that. The great weapon fighter is the one I'm most drawn to as the game currently stands.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013

PM the mod, also request him/her to delete my extra posts (this one and second one) to preserve the flow of thread.

PM to zebular; iamtruthseeker; ambisinister (copy paste names as it is in user field)
  • Options
    vixisynvixisyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited January 2013
    Ryld Argith is from the War of the Spider Queen series of books. And yes, he is bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    vixybanner4_zpsbe1d5d4b.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    vixisyn wrote: »
    Ryld Argith is from the War of the Spider Queen series of books. And yes, he is bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Ah cool thanks. I never read those for some reason. Might have to get em now.
  • Options
    darkonesowndarkonesown Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it was posted in your original thread, but Ryld Argith is a drow fighter / weapons master and a teacher of sorts at the Melee Magthere in Menzoberranzan, where drow fighters are trained. He's in The War of the Spider Queen series. If I remember correctly his weapon of choice is a greatsword, which fits the great weapon fighter class (from what I have seen of it, anyway). This link is to the wiki on Ryld, if you're interested:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ryld_Argith

I'm into drow as well. My fave character is Quenthel Baenre, the mistress of Arach Tinlith in Menzo (another of the drow academies, Arach Tinlith is the temple school devoted to the worship of Lolth). She's in the WotSQ series as well. Just her devotion to Lolth, her CE nature, the way she demands authority and her strength (despite the Lolthite priestesses having lost thier connection to Lolth and, as a result, their magic) make her the ultimate character to me. Though I wouldn't mimic her completely as I like to see my characters evolve and take on their own life, I would be lying if I said that I won't use her for inspiration...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Whoa Deja Vu. I came here to add something, and...this is a duplicate post?

Original reply incase other thread gets locked down.

Try this guy out for size. I don't think he shows up in any of the books, but he fits what you're looking for.*

===>Ryld Argith<===

vixisyn wrote: »
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Excellent! Thanks for the posts. I'm going to do some reading now. :)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Done! Thanks! :)
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Jade More from "Wyvernspur" is the character I get the name "Jade" and model my rogue after even though she did not live very long in the book. "Scimitar" comes from being Drizzt's favorite weapon.
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |