test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

mmorpg.com says the game has a sub and lifetime option

2»

Comments

• devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    What Pin said is there is NO SUBSCRIPTION OPTION.
    You can not pay a subscription in Neverwinter. It will be entirely micro-transaction based.

What he IS saying is that the game is F2P, he never said the membership options aren't available. He said no sub fees (required) not sub options (optional), doesn't mean we won't have that option if we so choose.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    This is absolutely not true.

Neverwinter will be completely free-to-play at launch without any subscription fees or lifetime fees. We're working with MMORPG.com to clarify.

Without any subscription fees, means just that no fees, ever.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok A little clarification because I am rather a simpleton.

There is no subscription.....it is pure F2p
    Only money spent in this game will be in the micro transaction department?
    There is no LIFER perk like in STO which is basically a free sub (which does not exist here) and monthly stipdens (which also does not exist here).

the question arises then to me then if I buy about 16 bucks a month in game items will my experiece be like that of someone who had a sub.Will my epxepriece still be a lesser quality when comparing this game to other MMO's which have a sub/f2p scheme.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • mastrshadowmastrshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is absolutely not true.

Neverwinter will be completely free-to-play at launch without any subscription fees

What is so hard to grasp about the literal plain as day "There is no &%$#^@ subscription" statement? I'm sure the Community Managers and Moderators time could better be spent on other things like more gameplay footage or an exchange rate on AD to Zen ratio or any number of other things besides repeating the same line over and over in the same thread while people ask the same question to get the same answer for more people to ask the same..........

*facepalm*
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Ideally the experience will be the exact same.
    The thing about the subscription model is that they give away perks which benefit you in a way which makes your gaming experience better than another's. That model is called Freemium (free with a premium option)

With the true Free to Play Model you have no benefit over any other player. You will purchase cosmetic or convenience items only rather than power. This is what Cryptic has claimed and promised to do with Neverwinter and in my most humble opinion they stuck to their word on the Founder's Packs.
    edited January 2013
    Your anger is unwarranted if directed at me..it is a simple question. If you will peer further into my statement and remove your hate colored goggles you will also see that I am curious as to what amount of expenditures will make this f2p experience feel like a sub game I dont want all the free ads and limited access to game or other tradition f2p traps thats force you to buy even more options beyond the tradition 16 dollor a month sub value ( close to most traditional subs which alleviate the f2p hassles)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I believe he was referring to another poster who claimed there was a subscription rate multiple times within this thread despite the CM's Post.

You had a perfectly reasonable question, to many the true Free to Play model is completely new an alien but after playing another game which uses it I have to say I never felt so great about a game.
    I started playing laughing asking 'why would I pay them money if it doesn't give me some advantage' and I ended up eating my words. I spent more for cosmetics because *I* wanted to than I ever spent on some sub games.
  • j0reelj0reel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ok here's my stupid question... why should I spend $200 on a game that hasn't come out yet? If they want me to spend that kinda money (for me that would be 8 months worth of spending money for me since my family and I live on my disability payments and I only get $30 a month for my personal spending), shouldn't they give me the chance to play the game first to see if I like it and to see how it plays on my system? I'm signed up for the beta access, which I signed up for the day it was announced, but whether I get an invite before the founder's offer expired is another story. That being said, that's why I wonder why I should risk the money before the game is released.
    edited January 2013
    I believe he was referring to another poster who claimed there was a subscription rate multiple times within this thread despite the CM's Post.

You had a perfectly reasonable question, to many the true Free to Play model is completely new an alien but after playing another game which uses it I have to say I never felt so great about a game.
    I started playing laughing asking 'why would I pay them money if it doesn't give me some advantage' and I ended up eating my words. I spent more for cosmetics because *I* wanted to than I ever spent on some sub games.

Thanks for the 411 I have never playerd a purely f2p and come across many that were hybrids and I did not like the experiecne of being f2p'er
  • mastrshadowmastrshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    @adabisi, Don't worry, you're not special. I hate everyone the same. :mad: <-- Joke btw.

I'll set the tone for my text as formal and professional.
    I did read your whole post and the second question is valid if you know nothing about the different business models for MMOs. f2p, p2p, p2w, freemium and b2p. (Don't think I missed any.)

Your first question though is essentially the "Will there be subscriptions?" reworded to "Will there only be microtransactions?" It is indeed the same question that the big bold red text in more than a half a dozen posts over the past 3 pages has answered.

Again, nothing was specifically directed at you but the question was answered a long time ago and the Community Managers/Mods have went blue in the face repeating the stance they've had since day one. No sub option, no box price, content is free, convenience and cosmetic will cost you.

Maybe I've just been around too many MMO launches over the past 10 years or so that I'm out of touch with the mentality I had when I first got my hands on FF XI but I don't remember doubting the game company over a notoriously inaccurate media site. It just seems so simple and straightforward that it boggles my mind how it can be confusing.
  • mysticmarksmysticmarks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The video footage looks good. I'm a little blown away at the 200 dollar tag for an upfront pack with little to no real details on what each item is for, and its statistical data in contrast to something that will be available within the game given time. Forsaken World took a nice upturn this last year, but I'm going to be straight forward about this one. FW wasn't translated well. It also lacked greatly the first year in continued development. THIS is a D&D based game.. if the development team doesn't have well developed storylines, and stacks of 3rd/4th edition D&D books to use? Monster Manuals? Book of Relics? I won't even DM a game without those books. I belive it will burn the digital D&D world for a very long time ..again. THAT would be sad. THE FOUNDRY is EXACTLY what MMO D&D needs to do it right, but only if it is in conjunction with a TRUE D&D backdrop. Taking aspects of RaiderZ coding, Forsaken world color and depth, then rolling it all up with ALL the D&D monsters and items would become the new standard in MMO gaming. A fully digital table top style D&D feel, with astounding play. I hope the team nails it dead on. Also, Has TSR considered having a team translate ALL the existing adventures in print, or has licensing created issues that were not previously discussed?? Many excellent adventures could and should be used.
    Sometimes you're your own best teacher. ~Me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Having had discussions with several of the people designing this game I assure you they're huge D&D Players themselves.
    Melanderi plays in PnP sessions weekly!

Sadly they still haven't taken the Community Moderator's advice and marketed that but the devs are D&D players.

Also, not to nitpick, but TSR is gone, Wizards of the Coast is in control now. Sadly we haven't really been told if we can directly translate old existing adventures into content but you can certainly use them as inspiration. I hope those rules can be clarified later on towards the actual game release.
  • argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    @ambisinisterr
    With the new TSR and Gygax Magazine having just launched, do you know if there has been any move to get some sort of relationship brewing? Perhaps someone over there could unofficially create an adventure in the foundry, or at the very least someone from the NWO crew could do an interview perhaps about there own pnp experiences. Just seems a good opportunity for Cryptic and TSR to cross promote each other and reach more people.
    edited January 2013
    Interesting!

No plans as far as I know but it's not beyond the realm's of possibility.
    Remember I only get fed information on a need to know basis. Most marketing takes place far behind the scenes. You guys often find out before the community mods. ;)
  • j0reelj0reel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    does anyone know what the store prices for the in-gameitems will be yet? I know from past experience with Blacklight Retribution the store items were very expensive so the in-game cash that a Founder gets may not go as far as one would think if they use that same pricing model for Neverwinter Nights as they do for other games in their stables.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    j0reel wrote: »
    ok here's my stupid question... why should I spend $200 on a game that hasn't come out yet? If they want me to spend that kinda money (for me that would be 8 months worth of spending money for me since my family and I live on my disability payments and I only get $30 a month for my personal spending), shouldn't they give me the chance to play the game first to see if I like it and to see how it plays on my system? I'm signed up for the beta access, which I signed up for the day it was announced, but whether I get an invite before the founder's offer expired is another story. That being said, that's why I wonder why I should risk the money before the game is released.

Speaking as a person who has been through these issues, I can say it is not simply a no brainier Most people think it's the disabled's person "fault" for ending up that way, and others who might feel some support have no idea how LITTLE one gets a month (think around 1000-1200 as an average amount folks)

The thing is, while the packs might give priority for the testing weekend its's not the only way nor has there been said at this time the weekends are the ONLY open beta. Pin is working hard that ALL people get opportunities (if not guarantees, sorry) to have a chance at keys and testing. MANY future contests will be announced and this pack is just a way to get some great bonus items as well as fast access. If you REALLY must have the immediate access, it's better if one would consider the guardian access for only 60. While some items may be different and you don't get a holding bag as many slots and/or as big a head start after beta for launch, that pack DOES give beta time and saves you $140.

argoylet wrote: »
    @ambisinisterr
    With the new TSR and Gygax Magazine having just launched, do you know if there has been any move to get some sort of relationship brewing? Perhaps someone over there could unofficially create an adventure in the foundry, or at the very least someone from the NWO crew could do an interview perhaps about there own pnp experiences. Just seems a good opportunity for Cryptic and TSR to cross promote each other and reach more people.

This game is in IP contractual agreement with WotC. Therefore they may require permission since TSR is not associated with them even if it once was if you will. I hope they do though.
    j0reel wrote: »
    does anyone know what the store prices for the in-game items will be yet? I know from past experience with Blacklight Retribution the store items were very expensive so the in-game cash that a Founder gets may not go as far as one would think if they use that same pricing model for Neverwinter Nights as they do for other games in their stables.

Since we don't have a listing publicly of the purchasable Zen/AD store items no. This information is still under NDA.

And again, this is not Neverwinter Nights, but simply Neverwinter, or sometimes nickname Neverwinter Online or NWO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]