test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An amusing comment from MMORPG forums regarding Neverwinter

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Off Topic
So I was trying to explain some things to people who have not been following the game and are just speculating and telling them about the information - basically what I do here.

So a comment perhaps directed as an insult to me catched my eye. I found it really really funny so I guess I would share here:-
Originally posted by AG-Vuk
^ Brought to you by a member of Cryptic's game promotion staff.
OMG! I laughed out so hard at this that my sides were hurting. I am SO taking this quote to official forums.

This comment made my day due to various reasons.

First of all because it amuses me that there are people out there who actually believe that cryptic has a marketing team.

Secondly I am happy that I am absolved of all the criticism I have directed at cryptic (see cryptic?) has been washed away with this comment.

Thirdly, because I was actually bashing marketing team of encouraging misinformation in their campaign:
...Now the advertising guys would like people to believe that it is NWN's succesor or something, and ignorant masses and media might get caught up in the hook - but you are no sheep right? Because now you know!

But I thought I would share with you as it is a testament to my "devotion" to cryptic :D
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ROTFL I love it
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tearingtheweavetearingtheweave Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well in a linear sense it is NWN's successor. Same setting and all with the D&D updated rules package etc. I know in a dev sense it's not because of everything from the play style to the toolset are completely different but this is the NEW Neverwinter. Repackaged and all shiny like a brand new Ferrari (We can hope :)).
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What I was also implying that it is a separate series. i.e. it is not NWN3.

I guess marketing team wants more people so they are not debunking people saying it is not NWN3. However it is not NWN3.

People who come to this game expecting it to be are different kind of player who will just be disappointed. They want sandboxes (just throwing the terms I heard around but have no idea for actual technical meaning) but find themepark and then they rage. Or they say "you have destroyed NWN".

That is the cause for alarm. It is not the part of NWN. Tomorrow somebody can license and release NWN Online, or NWN3 - thse games will have nothing to do with D&D:Neverwinter.

If you say that it has destroyed the name or something, then NWN borrowed the name from a game before in 1991 too. The name Neverwinter itself comes from a city in Faerun like many others.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yah to many think it is NWN 3 even the site for the Guild TOG they have a thread about it calling it the new NWN, when it is its own entity.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tearingtheweavetearingtheweave Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oh I completely agree. And this is coming from a die hard NWN player/modder/admin. I only recently shut down my module. And although I've known of Neverwinter for some time I never considered it NWN3. After NWN2's dissapointment I always hoped a 3 would come out with a revamped Aurora toolset and a complete overhaul of the what with all of the new technology out is considered an archaic game engine. Alas it never(hasn't) happened. With NWN dying out as well I felt it was time to move on and so I revisted Neverwinter and am hoping to one day play and enjoy it. I do however feel they should not imply that this is NWN3 and market/publicize it as it's own entity instead of playing upon peoples sense of nostalgia in order to garner more of a player base. In name alone though after all of NWN's success and the fact that most of the playerbase has left or simply burnt out on such an old game it's inevitable a huge chunk will likely be drawn here as I was for instance. I for one hold no illusions on NWN being ruined because Neverwinter is just that. It's Neverwinter; a setting in the Forgotten Realms.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Yep, I keep trying to dispel this myth about NWO being NWN3. Just to cover my bases, since I just stated them both in the same post... Neverwinter Online is not Neverwinter Nights 3.