test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Antivirus Do You Use?

deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Off Topic
Hey guys I was wondering what Antivirus software you guys use. Currently I use Ad-Aware free version currently.
Ive been thinking about getting something better, but I was waiting for a sale on one. I found Bitdefender's is for sale for $20 and I am trying to decide to buy it or not... Any recommendations guys

Note: If you do not have a Antivirus program on your PC you really need to get one.

If yall want to check out the sale it is here

Sorry about all the links to buying stuff today, I just thought yall may like them.
I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by deathssickle on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Avast! on silent gaming mode.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I use AVG, its free, never had any problems with it.
    I highly recommend using a variety of programs tho. I also use Glary Utilities and Revo uninstaller.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Norton Internet Security. I've been a consumer of Symantec products since Norton System Works, back in like 1994? (or around)

The only times I have ever gotten a virus or some other security malady is when I wasn't using a Norton product. Back in the early days, with each new version, the program got bloated and bogged down systems. If you stopped using Norton products because of this, I strongly suggest to try the latest NIS again as they have in recent years seen and heard this important issue and have made their products less intensive and with further options to reduce system use even further.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    ... Glary Utilities and Revo uninstaller.

Yeah two very good programs to get rid of prolematic tuff. Also defrag regularly (or put it on schedule) and keep C: drive empty and install everything on logical partition (can be made in vista by running internal discmgmt.msc).

Less stuff of C:, less fragmented, less loading times for games.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Yep, one small thing I do to keep fragmentation low, since I do a lot of downloading is that I have a second Partition on my HD that is dedicated to only Temporary Extracts (zips, etc), Downloads, and my User folders for Windows so that a majority of the things I only keep temporarily are not fragmenting up my main partition.

When ever I reinstall and play WoW, I install it into its own partition as well, since I do a lot of Downloading of Addons and the game updates regularly. I migt end up doing this also for just for my favorite Cryptic Games the next time I reformat/repartition my PC.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    Windows 7 automatically defrags your hard drive when the CPU hits an idle state as long as you have at least 4 gigs of system ram. No real reason to manually defrag anymore.
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Use Malwarebytes and webroot
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Windows 7 automatically defrags your hard drive when the CPU hits an idle state as long as you have at least 4 gigs of system ram. No real reason to manually defrag anymore.
    Files in use cannot be defragmented however, so this is a flaw in design. It'd still be advantageous to go into safe mode and defrag there once in a while.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Yep, one small thing I do to keep fragmentation low, since I do a lot of downloading is that I have a second Partition on my HD that is dedicated to only Temporary Extracts (zips, etc), Downloads, and my User folders for Windows so that a majority of the things I only keep temporarily are not fragmenting up my main partition.....

Yeah. Am thinking of trying that one of these days - shift all of my user folder to D: instead of C: I had it like that before but then I had to reinstall vista from win 7 due to incompatibility and it got reset.

Also a lot of games, even reputed ones, do not completely clear the registry after uninstall (like games from A****). So a tool like Glary Utilities is good. But that can be dangerous too so only do it carefully - after making backup.
  • Options
    jez777jez777 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bitdefender
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I run Avast, and then use Malwarebytes, and Spybot S&D every week as well. One will often find something the other missed.
  • Options
    inconel1370inconel1370 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited January 2013
    Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot.
  • Options
    fursnakefursnake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited January 2013
    Norton Business Class.
  • Options
    travestiiitravestiii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Add me in as another longstanding Norton fan. During the holiday months, there are typically some fantastic deals on hard copies of the current year's version (which autmatically updates to the most recent version). I bought a 3 user pack of Norton Internet Security for $45 that came with a $45 rebate, which I received in the mail this week. I saw another promotion for a 3 pack of Norton Antivirus for $15. With luck, you might still be able to find one of those 2012 boxes on sale somewhere.
  • Options
    katalystikkatalystik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Been using Avira for a couple years now and its been wonderful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xlebonilxlebonil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i have eset smart security and very happy with it.
  • Options
    neya01neya01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited January 2013
    I have Norton 360, works very well. I tried the pre-installed try-out antivirus (i think it was Kaspersky Internet security) but that just didn't work, so i got Norton.