test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

F2p, download only/boxed price. What would you like?

mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So i have been told that the game will not be released in a box edition. You may not be able to purchase a physical copy of the game but have to download it only. Not sure if this information is correct (i hope its not).

I personally would love to own a copy of this game and would even pay for the collectos edition, being someone who has limited monthly download limit, downloading a 15GiG MMO is not something i will be able to do from home.

I am just wondering would peolple purchase a physical hard copy of the game if they had the chance?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by mnatic on

Comments

• viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would buy a hard copy of the game if it were a collector's edition, or founder's edition or some such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would most defiantly buy a hard collectors edition, but at this stage of the game if they hadnt considered it it just wont be happening.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would by a Physical copy, especially Collectors as long as the price isnt crazy
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I have high speed download limited to 250Gig a month (most cable provideres limit to 250). It would not be an issue. However I would still buy it to support the game.

I too would buy the game to support the company. Like Jack Emmert stated at the Gen COn 2012 D&D interview. As a fan of something you want to support it through wants and not needs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QFqtpWO1s&feature=player_detailpage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like having a physical copy so I'd buy a box. And I'm also a sucker for collector editions.
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Stop braging bought your awesome internet :P lol

im hoping to get a mass of people who would by a disk and convince them its an option worth persuing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    mnatic wrote: »
    Stop braging bought your awesome internet :P lol

im hoping to get a mass of people who would by a disk and convince them its an option worth persuing.

For all intents and purposes, I'm with ya! Strictly for the fact that a hard copy with cool stuff along with it would be awesome! Like a Dragon Beanie?, Neverwinter Stein?, or Awesome Wallpapers on the disc that just BLOW YOUR MIND!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Talked to a Gamestop District manager a few weeks ago they are in talks about doing an Exclusive Collectors ed, he thinks it will cost around 39.99 and come with a mount...nothing definite though.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited January 2013
    Talked to a Gamestop District manager a few weeks ago they are in talks about doing an Exclusive Collectors ed, he thinks it will cost around 39.99 and come with a mount...nothing definite though.
    Would be great if they can work it out to reality, hopefully it has some of the things I would like to get with a collector's edition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • guinnjaguarguinnjaguar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would definitely B2P if it meant that the game was unrestricted by cash shop mechanics aside from cosmetics and mild quality of life features ( maybe extra bank tabs above and beyond standard with hopefully a game system that prevents clutter/bloat with a myriad of crafting drops, etc. like in GW2 ). Even though GW2 was somewhat disappointing in it's dungeons and gear, it was still playable until level cap. I'd hate to see XP scrolls, magic item drop rate scrolls, item enchantment success scrolls, etc.

I think no matter how much I appreciated the lore and settings, I would just as soon go back to reading the books than wasting time in a game system where I've experiencced the F2P song and dance before.
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    that.would.rock.

don't forget the UK please cryptic :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In my Perfect World, the game would be P2P. Buy the box, pay your monthly sub; everyone gets everything right from the get go. But it's not my Perfect World, it's Prefect Worlds world, and I foresee having to spend more than a monthly sub would cost, in the cash shop, in order to do what I actually want to do in the game. So, I'll DL the game, set a budget, and see if it is good enough to keep me around.
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Right now the game is set to be free to play. That's free to download and free forever. Thus, even if they did do an on-the-shelf box sale I don't think it'd go over very well. They might as well sell whatever they were going to put into the box individually. If they were going to put in an art book, just sell the art book. If they were going to sell a figurine, then just sell the figurine. They could even package them together. But the moment they put a game disk in that box it changes the whole thing completely.

Last night I was digging through my garage and found the box of game boxes and disks that I've kept because they were cool. But that box was at the bottom of a stack of boxes in a corner of the garage that I haven't looked at in a year. I even considered throwing them out. So given the option I would not buy a box for this game.

I'd rather support the game by making a reasonable amount of in-game purchases. There is a certain overhead cost to putting a box on the shelf. If they charge some money for the box then they may only get half or less of that money as profit. If they sell you the same amount of in-game merchandise then they get ALL of that money. So if you really wanted to support the game then you'd make the in-game purchases. Also, you get to decide what is worth purchasing a la carte, and what is not.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Just a note for Comcast users. They do have a stated Bandwith limit however they also have it stated that at this time they are not enforcing it. I've went over my 300 GB limit plenty of times and even called them up one time to get clarification on why I'm able to go over the cap and that is what they told me and it even says so in their support site info.

What I would suggest to do is that when you are able to download the game client installer, I'd back it up on DVDs or an external HD and save it for re-installation purposes.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would like to buy the game.
  • pherephattapherephatta Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't like physical boxes or collector's editions, so I've been very happy by the digital collector's editions that many games have had lately. But I support having one for the people who want to buy it. :)
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would gladly pay for a movie based on Neverwinter's official story. I mean like a developer makes a movie out of gameplay as well as animation, reducing combat in it and adding cutscenes with improved graphics...

*salivates*
  • talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    I personally would prefer to download the game. I know the plan is for free to play, but I still really hope there is a premium service to get around the cash shop. All that being said I do know some people that say they will only play if there is a buy the box option. I have no idea why they are bull headed about this, but that is what they are saying.
  • wodny1988wodny1988 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would like a box edition with some nice bonuses inside. :)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Never believe anything from Gamestop as they have a confirmed history of making their own estimates, not based on reality sometimes.

The game is free to play and has no plans on making a relased physical box, sorry to state.

As for if they will make a collector's edition, that is uncertain but unlikely. No, there will NOT be a Freemium option to get around the cash shop, not will it be like LOTRO. Enough said on that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Never believe anything from Gamestop as they have a confirmed history of making their own estimates, not based on reality sometimes.

The game is free to play and has no plans on making a relased physical box, sorry to state.

As for if they will make a collector's edition, that is uncertain but unlikely. No, there will NOT be a Freemium option to get around the cash shop, not will it be like LOTRO. Enough said on that.

So there will not be a premium account option like in STO?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    torskaldr wrote: »
    So there will not be a premium account option like in STO?

No.

confirmed by SS.
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited January 2013
    I still have my original (pre Kunark) EQ disks.....for windows 98. lol.

I found that physical copies ar great "nostalgia items" but rarely of much use. If they would actually run on my system, I'd imagine the download of patches would be be a massive drain on my 250 GB limit. (Even more of a drain than downloading a fresh copy of the newest version from the game site.) And any rl/in-game items are usually sparkly "trinkets" that usually do not add anything to my true enjoyment of a game.

So I'm happy with download only releases these days.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    No.

confirmed by SS.

Interesting. Thanks for answering. I'm really looking forward to playing. The evolving payment model makes me curious.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    kadlena wrote: »

I found that physical copies ar great "nostalgia items" but rarely of much use...
    Coasters, they make great coasters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    kadlena wrote: »

Those were the days...

When did Kunark come out? I remember being stoked about it.
    EQ has like 20 expansions, hah.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    One factor which is ever-present in hard copy distribution is cost.
    Cost to produce the copies. Cost to ship the copies. Cost for the stores to stock the copies.

While I do know there is a demand for hard copies it is absolutely a small amount. Many games are now offering download options not only because it is cheaper but because for people like me it's the much easier and preferred method.
    Game downloads are arguably the way of the future just as movie rental stores are a thing of the past.

I'd love to see additional methods for those who don't have a decent internet connection, no offense, but the fact is that there's very little return for any investment into hard copy distribution these days. The game being Free to Play is also putting nails into the coffin from my point of view.

And honestly any promotions they could run to support buying hard copy versions of the game would end with massive backlash from the player base. I have seen countless posts just on these forums rejecting anything but the game being 100% free to play.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I agree Amb but nonetheless there's a demand for physical collector's items I think the company might be able to both make a profit on and generate a bit of hype with.
    It doesn't even necessarily have to be a boxed edition of the game.
    Hell some t-shirts would be cool.
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited January 2013
    Coasters, they make great coasters.

Hmm...Not a bad idea! But would they clash with my "Atari 400 cartridge" themed coasters? ;)

ranncore wrote: »
    Those were the days...

When did Kunark come out? I remember being stoked about it.
    EQ has like 20 expansions, hah.

uhhh...2000ish?
    edited January 2013
    For those who need collectables, they got beanies, steins and shirts too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]