test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

One HUGE server.....?

zarkaz123zarkaz123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok, the whole one huge server thing kind of excites me because I feel like I will never worry about my server being underpopulated and have little amount of people to play with. I am however concerned about a few things like, how American, Europe, and Asia will play together with the language difference and also am looking for a bit of a better explanation on how the phase parts will work because in the early stages of phasing in WoW it would really screw you up if you wanted to quest with a friend or have your friend help you out if your phase was different because he had done the quests required.
Post edited by zarkaz123 on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Some countries are not included in international, btw. Maybe because of admnistrative or other reasons (or because PWE has other companies who publish things there for them). These countries include China, Russia etc... check their site for blocked regions.

These countries will have their own servers and games separate from us on a different timeline.

There are a lot of channel however, which will help a crowd speaking non-english and a particular language.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    One still has to select lobbies which I think will happen in Neverwinter. Games like GW1 which is single server there was a dropdown box in public areas where if I recall right there were lobbies for international, Chinese or Japanese (was in congie or however that style of writing is spelled), and others which I think Neverwinter will have something similar.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    One still has to select lobbies which I think will happen in Neverwinter. Games like GW1 which is single server there was a dropdown box in public areas where if I recall right there were lobbies for international, Chinese or Japanese (was in congie or however that style of writing is spelled), and others which I think Neverwinter will have something similar.

No lobbies, only chatrooms. You can create a language specific guild though. Global chat is in english, with many language secific chatboxes selected from tabs or a new one created by you.
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    The way the mega server works is it breaks the total population into instances of the world to what ever number the developer sets as the max number per instance. So if the game has say 2 million players total there will not be a server/instance with that many players on it, the internet is not ready for that yet, instead it would probably break them up into groups of say 3000 players per instance.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The way the mega server works is it ....

It is not really a mega server but a set of many servers spread across the world. Many of those servers have time for lease - i.e. many people who have set up server may use only 20% of it. So they lease out the rest of say 70% of the server. That way you have a large, efficient and cost-effective set of servers. Hence ping is not a problem either (usually) nor are crashes or maintenance.

It just appears as one server though in reality it is many many servers. That is why it is called One Server Architecture and not just One server.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I much prefer a "mega server". Anytime I play another MMO i always tell friends I wish it was like Champions Online where you just have layers. Guild Wars 1 did the samething, and I also believe The Elder Scrolls Online is as well. If your like me you have more then once spent months into a character only to find out your server sucks or the faction on ur server sucks and the game has no Server Transfer =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    See this from my FAQ:
    Can you tell me how the Game World (or Server) will work then with player population?

Updated 10/05/2012:
    Cryptic uses one game server per game. This means, Cryptic makes a unified "world server" to play on composed of a bunch of physical computer servers to make one "game world." So no other "PvP Servers" or "Role Playing Servers" are done as separate servers to log into. This also means that User Generated Content via the integrated Foundry tool (and more on that is mentioned in the Foundry section) also is accessed by the same NPCs and objects in the "world Server."

When a public area zone in the game gets too large, it splits it into another "public instance" or "shard." So you could have "The Moonstone Mask" as a public place, then it splits into "The Moonstone Mask1" and "The Moonstone Mask2" when there are too many people for the capacity on a public location zone.

Users will have the ability to "switch" between shards (often by a pull down location option if there are multiple areas.)

This splitting continues if any of the the public area zones continue to grow to capacity again ("The Moonstone Mask3," "The Moonstone Mask4," etc.) and the zones lower in sequential number when the population drops so they can rejoin another (or original) shard (or zone) the next time players leave and re-enter said public zone. So if there are only 4 people in the original zone, and 2 in a second zone, that second zone goes away when the last player in a zone leaves, and the players re-entering that public zone go to the original zone. The game does automatically decide where the least load or most need for new population is needed for the shards, which the above players have the option to manually switch zones (especially for party-based grouping.)

However, when players join a party to do certain quests, they may instead of adventure in a public area be sent to a private instance which can hold a party of up to five adventurers. This will definitely be done in the "delves" described later in this section. Also see the (previous) "Is the game Instanced or Open world? I keep hearing it's one than it's the other!" question.

Finally, Cryptic does not "separate" players into their own servers. So there is not a "role playing" server and a "PvP" server and a "min-max" server, etc. We all play in one game world as mentioned above.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For those who want a good understanding of how this is going to work, give Champions Online or Star Trek Online a try. Both are free and both use the same one server architecture. Plus they may make a good timesink while waiting for NW to come out.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As a roleplayer, I'm pretty averse to this kind of thing. The roleplay community in any MMO thrives best when it has a server to itself.
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    The way the mega server works is it breaks the total population into instances of the world to what ever number the developer sets as the max number per instance. So if the game has say 2 million players total there will not be a server/instance with that many players on it, the internet is not ready for that yet, instead it would probably break them up into groups of say 3000 players per instance.

I give it 5 years or less ,just going by the last 2 years..
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    eljacko56 wrote: »
    As a roleplayer, I'm pretty averse to this kind of thing. The roleplay community in any MMO thrives best when it has a server to itself.

Well in TS quote they do break it up into shards, I see no reason why they can't have at a min two shards, one being a normal shard and the other for RPing and let the player decide which to enter.
  • Options
    hybridusshybriduss Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wanted write something like "learn english m***kers", but I will not. Althougth I still think that's it. People who wants to play MMORPG games has to have at least basic knowleadge of international language :)
    zarkaz123 wrote: »
    Ok, the whole one huge server thing kind of excites me because I feel like I will never worry about my server being underpopulated and have little amount of people to play with. I am however concerned about a few things like, how American, Europe, and Asia will play together with the language difference and also am looking for a bit of a better explanation on how the phase parts will work because in the early stages of phasing in WoW it would really screw you up if you wanted to quest with a friend or have your friend help you out if your phase was different because he had done the quests required.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

You obviously nevr went onto STO and their roleplay chat channels!
    Well in TS quote they do break it up into shards, I see no reason why they can't have at a min two shards, one being a normal shard and the other for RPing and let the player decide which to enter.

I'm afraid you still do not understand how it works. Reposted:

Can you tell me how the Game World (or Server) will work then with player population?

Updated 10/05/2012:
    Cryptic uses one game server per game. This means, Cryptic makes a unified "world server" to play on composed of a bunch of physical computer servers to make one "game world." So no other "PvP Servers" or "Role Playing Servers" are done as separate servers to log into. This also means that User Generated Content via the integrated Foundry tool (and more on that is mentioned in the Foundry section) also is accessed by the same NPCs and objects in the "world Server."

When a public area zone in the game gets too large, it splits it into another "public instance" or "shard." So you could have "The Moonstone Mask" as a public place, then it splits into "The Moonstone Mask1" and "The Moonstone Mask2" when there are too many people for the capacity on a public location zone.

Users will have the ability to "switch" between shards (often by a pull down location option if there are multiple areas.)

This splitting continues if any of the the public area zones continue to grow to capacity again ("The Moonstone Mask3," "The Moonstone Mask4," etc.) and the zones lower in sequential number when the population drops so they can rejoin another (or original) shard (or zone) the next time players leave and re-enter said public zone. So if there are only 4 people in the original zone, and 2 in a second zone, that second zone goes away when the last player in a zone leaves, and the players re-entering that public zone go to the original zone. The game does automatically decide where the least load or most need for new population is needed for the shards, which the above players have the option to manually switch zones (especially for party-based grouping.)

However, when players join a party to do certain quests, they may instead of adventure in a public area be sent to a private instance which can hold a party of up to five adventurers. This will definitely be done in the "delves" described later in this section. Also see the (previous) "Is the game Instanced or Open world? I keep hearing it's one than it's the other!" question.

Finally, Cryptic does not "separate" players into their own servers. So there is not a "role playing" server and a "PvP" server and a "min-max" server, etc. We all play in one game world as mentioned above.

This means we're all on ONE BIG world with multiple zones, including public locations like Protector's Enclave and the Tower District, or Velosk for example. When we're not doing individual instanced missions, we're in this multiple person location. But (whether there is combat or not in the public areas,) sometimes there are just too many people in one area to handle the load. Let's say Protector's Enclave or PE. So what happens is people start getting directed to a NEW "Protector's Enclave," the old one gets a 1 after it, the New one gets a 2. If there still is too big a load, another "Shard" splits off and we got 3, and so forth. If one area gets too small, it disappears when the last person leaves the zone so PE 3 goes poof and there is only PE 1 and 2.

Users can publicly switch the multiple locations of the same area by choosing to "Switch instances" or "Switch public locations" when in a split zone by choosing a drop down menu most often. It also will say which one you are in by having the number to the right of it after you are done loading.

No, Cryptic does not "assign" these dynamic locations any "types" as they rise and fall based off of load population.

So if you get, "let's meet in PE 3," now you understand what it means!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013

As truth explains, the server and shards don't have anything to do with hardware. They are virtual. In this virtual system, cryptic follows one-server policy.

It is like the virtual desktops you use on your computer. It is only one screen but four virtual desktop spaces exist. However, you can merge all four with a click of button anytime. There is no memory - or space of any kind - assigned to the virtual desktops. They are there just for administrative purpose.

In the same way, it doesn't matter if cryptic uses 20 or 100 actual hardware servers. They follow the "virtual" architecture of one server.

Assigning virtual shards for admnistrative purposes have no bearing of any kind with the hardware.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013

No it doesn't actually, Roleplay servers are just targets for griefers and asshats; both STO and CO have amazing RP communities that hardly ever get griefed because they are right there in plain sight with everyone else and Cryptic has no problem deleting accounts of those who do decide to grief RPers.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't really think devs are averse to the idea of separate RP server - they just think it is not worth it. Thi is because their one-server architect does not support the multiple shard with different settings. So they need to recreate a complete architect and not just a server for adding a server with just a bit of different setting for say what(?) 1% of playerbase who may not sustain the cost of all that?

That is a very wrong investment and I would never allow it if it was my money being used.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't know how hard it would be, but the whole Roleplayer/Non-Roleplayer issue could be resolved instance flagging... If I log in and I have my character designated as Roleplayer (a configuration menu option) then he would get routed to an instanced flagged for Roleplayers... ONLY those designated as a roleplayer would get routed to that instance.

Roleplay instances would be hidden from any player whose current character is not flagged as Roleplayer. The reverse would also be true.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't know how hard it would be, but the whole Roleplayer/Non-Roleplayer issue could be resolved instance flagging... If I log in and I have my character designated as Roleplayer (a configuration menu option) then he would get routed to an instanced flagged for Roleplayers... ONLY those designated as a roleplayer would get routed to that instance.

Roleplay instances would be hidden from any player whose current character is not flagged as Roleplayer. The reverse would also be true.

This won't work as people will often switch instances to fight for mobs. Because you can quickly switch instances anytime, you won't be able to stop players from entering a particular instance.

Better solution that devs would perhaps try is like CO - make a building in game for RPers - like a RP tavern or village or something where people can talk and then go somewhere else from there.

Then they will ensure that only one instance of that RP village exists, and then put a GM to monitor the global chat to make sure nobody breaks R. However forming rules for RP itself is very controversial. I would rather not RP in that village anyways because of rules someone else decides. Rather I would RP in tavern like everybody else. Open game, open RP.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    This won't work as people will often switch instances to fight for mobs. Because you can quickly switch instances anytime, you won't be able to stop players from entering a particular instance.

Make it so that roleplay instances won't show in the list unless you are flagged as a roleplayer, and non-roleplay instances won't show up in the list if you ARE flagged as a roleplayer... So a given area might have instance numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 active, but if 1 and 5 are roleplay instances, then a non-rollplayer, when switching instancesm would only se 2, 3 and 4, and a roleplayer that wants to switch instances will see 1 and 5.
    Better solution that devs would perhaps try is like CO - make a building in game for RPers - like a RP tavern or village or something where people can talk and then go somewhere else from there.

It's still loading a map just like loading into an instance. The back-end handling is essentially the same.
    Then they will ensure that only one instance of that RP village exists, and then put a GM to monitor the global chat to make sure nobody breaks R. However forming rules for RP itself is very controversial. I would rather not RP in that village anyways because of rules someone else decides. Rather I would RP in tavern like everybody else. Open game, open RP.

What I propose won't require the hiring of a dedicated GM to sit there and watch global chat. I'm a RPer. You're a RPer. We flag ourselves as such, and we only see other RPers. If someone switches to a RP flag so they can enter a RP instance just to grief RPers, then report them and let their account be forever banned from entering a RP instance. Simple.
  • Options
    kheldrynkheldryn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The "One huge Server" thing should do just fine. If you have played Champions or STO you'll know that these work just fine as thats what they did for both of them. I'm surprised other MMO's haven't followed Cryptic's suit. I've found that these run pretty smoothly and have been quite happy with how Crypic has achieved this. Be interesting to see if Cryptic also continues the Cross-Game communication present between Champions/STO which has allowed me to chat with friends in both games even when not playing the same game.
    Vice Admiral Kheldryn B'ourne-United Federation of Planets-Engineer
    "On my planet, we live underground. We're at home in space, Its dark. Let the darkness show us the way."
    "I found a bug in Beta, Cryptic squished it. STO Founder and Proud LTS member."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Just subscribe to the RP channel for cryin out loud!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited January 2013
    No it doesn't actually, Roleplay servers are just targets for griefers and asshats; both STO and CO have amazing RP communities that hardly ever get griefed because they are right there in plain sight with everyone else and Cryptic has no problem deleting accounts of those who do decide to grief RPers.

Hrm. There's not much of a griefing problem in CO, true, but it's actually rather an issue in STO. One of my saddest duties as a forum moderator there is how many times I have to warn people for calling out the jerk fleet(s) by name, when personally I'd like to see them smacked down hard.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I don't understand the no-naming policy. Path of Exile has a specific thread they've dedicated to "no-moderation." Everyone entering it signs an 18+ waiver. It exists solely to call out *******s in game. The developers and moderators don't touch it.
  • Options
    madarthurmadarthur Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    one big server ftw!
  • Options
    melanderimelanderi Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users, Silverstars Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Cryptic has no problem deleting accounts

Just to clear things up- we only delete accounts upon request from the owner of the account. We'll never delete your account without your request and verification.

Protip- don't share your account information with ANYONE. Not even me- especially not me, because I would never ask
    and if I do ask it means my evil twin has finally caught up and we're all doomed- I MEAN....

Pixilated Community Entity
    @Effreet in game
    Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. Learn them, Love them
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    I much prefer a "mega server". Anytime I play another MMO i always tell friends I wish it was like Champions Online where you just have layers. Guild Wars 1 did the samething, and I also believe The Elder Scrolls Online is as well. If your like me you have more then once spent months into a character only to find out your server sucks or the faction on ur server sucks and the game has no Server Transfer =/

Yea I hate that when it happens because a good chunk of the playerbase ends up leaving within a short time frame leaving underpopulated servers and things continually spiral out of control. Seeing how 50% of this game is devoted to instance play it's not out of the realm of possibility for the single server structure to ruin immersion. Personally I always feel immersion is manufactured within context of who I play with and not the community as a whole.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    lolwutruevendoinlolwutruevendoin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hope this server thing works well!
  • Options
    eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I've only witnessed this kind of behavior in World of Warcraft. Out of all MMOs, Lord of the Rings Online probably has the best roleplaying community, and it wouldn't be possible the way it is without dedicated roleplaying servers. Roleplaying shouldn't need to be facilitated by chat channels. In a good roleplaying community you can assume that everyone around you is in-character and roleplaying can occur anywhere at any time.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    .... and it wouldn't be possible the way it is without dedicated roleplaying servers. ...

Allow this game be the first one to prove you wrong :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Allow this game be the first one to prove you wrong :)

We'll see. It wouldn't be the first one to prove me right.