What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One HUGE server.....?

2»

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    eljacko56 wrote: »
    We'll see. It wouldn't be the first one to prove me right.

Oh! Then why not try CO then. It does not have RP servers but strong RP community. Just b careful to be in roleplay in roleplaying areas or you might get muted.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    eljacko56 wrote: »
    I've only witnessed this kind of behavior in World of Warcraft. Out of all MMOs, Lord of the Rings Online probably has the best roleplaying community, and it wouldn't be possible the way it is without dedicated roleplaying servers. Roleplaying shouldn't need to be facilitated by chat channels. In a good roleplaying community you can assume that everyone around you is in-character and roleplaying can occur anywhere at any time.

You don't need dedicated RP servers to have a good RP community. Star Trek Online and The Secret World both have great RP so that contradicts your claim that it only happens on dedicated named RP servers. Good RP is inclusive, not exclusive and different people do RP differently.

I also think it's a little arrogant and rude to claim that Laurelin or Landroval have better RP than other games. They don't. I've played LotRO since before release and its RP isn't any different or better than anyone else.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Oh! Then why not try CO then. It does not have RP servers but strong RP community. Just b careful to be in roleplay in roleplaying areas or you might get muted.
    torskaldr wrote: »
    You don't need dedicated RP servers to have a good RP community. Star Trek Online and The Secret World both have great RP so that contradicts your claim that it only happens on dedicated named RP servers. Good RP is inclusive, not exclusive and different people do RP differently.

I also think it's a little arrogant and rude to claim that Laurelin or Landroval have better RP than other games. They don't. I've played LotRO since before release and its RP isn't any different or better than anyone else.

Seconded for STO. Haven't done the CO yet.

And please don't say it's arrogant and rude, say it seems x and y in my opinion, thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

That's part of the problem with this kind of setup. The entire concept of "roleplaying areas" is a hallmark of an RP community gone wrong. Everywhere should be a roleplaying area, but unfortunately that kind of thing isn't really possible without dedicated RP servers because, unless you're in a certain location like a tavern, it isn't safe to assume the people around you are in-character.
    torskaldr wrote:

First of all, the Secret World does have dedicated RP servers. Even then, the TSW roleplaying community is very small in comparison to other games.

Star Trek Online suffers from similar problems to CO of roleplaying not really being a widespread thing. It's mostly confined to specific areas or social circles, there's no random RP. Random RP is important to me, because it's really the only way to RP independently without trapping yourself in a tavern or wherever else it is that roleplayers gather to sit around and do nothing. To do anything more interesting in most games you have to join a guild or channel of some kind and connect with other roleplayers out-of-character.

Random RP really is, in my opinion at least, the hallmark of a truly prosperous roleplaying community. Lord of the Rings Online is the only game I've played where random RP is a reliable expectation, even among other games with dedicated RP servers. It's gone down a bit since the game went Free to Play, but even now about the half of the people you'll run into on a roleplaying server are in-character. Guild Wars 2 has a pretty proactive community as well, but it suffers from Tavern RP Syndrome.

LotRO does do more to foster it's roleplaying community than other games do. There's an actual RP tag for starters, which changes the color of your name so other players can see that you're roleplaying. There's also the music system, which is a great icebreaker, and the ability to replace the text broadcasted by a preset emote with your own text.

I'm sorry if this all sounds rude or arrogant, and it's definitely rambling on, but I really feel very strongly about this topic. I'm extremely passionate about roleplaying. It's basically the only thing I play MMOs for, and if an MMO doesn't have good roleplaying, either because of the community or because of the infrastructure, I just can't enjoy it. I'm positive that dedicated roleplaying servers are more likely to yield good roleplaying than a megaserver. A megaserver can still harbor good roleplaying, but not without coordination and pre-planning on the part of the roleplayers.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Roleplaying is something that needs to be started at a young age, in my opinion. The older you are, the harder it becomes to accept roleplaying as a standard. It also depends on the generation, too. It's easier for people born in the latter part of last century to get into the rp behavior because D&D was peaking then. But if you try and tell kids born after, say, the year 2000 to jump into an MMORPG and start roleplaying after they just got finished playing online games that immediately discourage roleplaying (glares at FPS, gaming's most popular genre currently), you're going to have a hard time AND find yourself with a bunch of 12 year old trolls. I know it sounds like I'm generalizing, but I'm not being any different than a company finding a target audience.

And who IS the target audience going to be? The older gaming demographic has less hours to themselves, with jobs and family and stuff, not to mention less money probably also, but they're more likely to support "D&D pureness". The younger audience has more time on the computer, playing games, and have their parents to support them, but are becoming increasingly more hostile and unaccepting when it comes to internet etiquette (oxymoron!), and probably roleplaying in games, due to other games' nature.

The main audience, whether your intentions are true or not, is probably going to be with the people with the most money to spend, and the future is based off of the current generations expectations and gameplay style. The best thing you can do is start young people out right by teaching them to roleplay and respect other rpers.

Where was I going with this rant again? I just kind of started typing and forgot something...... >.>
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The internet is definitely ready for a one mega server solution, no one has been willing to pony up the cash to purchase/create the computer required for such a thing though. There is of course EVE Online but everyone is usually spread parsecs apart in that game.
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    giggliato wrote: »
    The internet is definitely ready for a one mega server solution, no one has been willing to pony up the cash to purchase/create the computer required for such a thing though. There is of course EVE Online but everyone is usually spread parsecs apart in that game.

A Megaserver is not just one computer. It in essence still functions like typical shards on the back-end, but the interconnectivity that goes on between all of the different systems makes it virtually invisible to the player. We don't have to select a shard to create our characters on. We just create it and go. But the actual systems that make up a megaserver can be spread out all over the world. Think of megaserver as sort of a big virtual network.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Roleplaying is something that needs to be started at a young age, in my opinion. The older you are, the harder it becomes to accept roleplaying as a standard.

Sort of like mass murder? Hmm interesting.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    Sort of like mass murder? Hmm interesting.

Except mass murder initially sound like a bad idea at a young age, and generally becomes more appealing later on in life. The opposite is true for roleplaying. It's a fun idea at first, then gradually becomes less accepted (in this day and age) later in life.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So we're supposed to mass murder rolepl...

oh NO, nice try, almost got me there! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noobfreak2noobfreak2 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    one world... means one place to spot gold sellers and to remove them.. sounds good to me.. pity it doesnt work on raiderz.. :(

Lets hope there is a tad more protection for NWO..
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No system is impervious to spammers, and these people are getting craftier all the time.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • jonnyblaz3rjonnyblaz3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No system is impervious to spammers, and these people are getting craftier all the time.
    They're like wall-raccoons. Deadly, deadly wall-raccoons.
    edited March 2013
    They're like wall-raccoons. Deadly, deadly wall-raccoons.

I remember the first time I tangled with wall-raccoons. It was back in ought-two. Brutal it was and if a honey badger hadn't come along it would be a different story told today.
  • ladyshaie1ladyshaie1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Gaming is what you, the player, make it. I try to always be in-character, it's part of how I play an mmoRPG (by name and definition, they are ROLE-PLAYING GAMES). Each of my characters has her own personality, (for example, I have two dark elves in EQ2 but 1 of them betrayed her people to join the high elves, wood elves & fae up in the trees. She is a dirge, & she just didn't feel right about her heritage & about living a life full of hatred for all other living things. The other dark elf has no problems at all & wears her heritage as proudly as all the others.)quirks, feelings & preferences for what she does. There are players who feel that every game is a race "to the end" &/or "to beat the game", which is all well & good if you're playing that type of game. They've come into the mmorpg's with that mind-set except... there IS NO END & there IS NO BEATING THE GAME. I think this makes them frustrated so they sit around in major cities picking on people, starting fights, looking for rpg groups to harass & posting all their "cool gear that they got first!". Fortunately for the rest of us, game developers have given us some mighty fine tools to deal with these people but which most of us either forget about or just don't bother with. These tools are "IGNORE PLAYER" SO very helpful in most situations and "Report Player/Spam/Harassment". If you want to play your game in-character & let RPG happen, then use the tools you are given to your advantage & ignore those who don't really understand the concept of mmoRPG.

Let's be honest about this, even a "Free-to-Play" game has a monetary cost. TWO character slots, really? Most F2P games give at least 1 per race, so even IF you purchased one of the Founder's Packs, you'll probably end up buying more slots later on. If you're reading that & saying "Pff no I won't, I won't need them!" then you either didn't play NWN or you haven't played it recently enough to remember that cross-class training meant literally hundreds of unique character profile possibilities (if not thousands). It's generally pretty difficult for us to delete a character that we've worked so long & hard to level up to max, gear out, get achievements on... So yes, you WILL spend cash on this game in the future. Therefore, if you PAY any real money to play, or if you consider simply your TIME spent playing as an investment, then PLAY YOUR WAY. Don't put up with griefers, report & ignore them & continue to play. Don't put up with (and for the love of all that is holy!) and especially DO NOT give your personal information to scammers (who may send you tells & represent themselves as security for the game you are playing), report/ignore & continue playing.

I'll say it again, because those of us who are older, who played tabletop D&D & who have seen the rise of the FPS tend to lapse into a "woe is me" lament about how horrible "the young people" are & how they are ruining our games, etc. PLAY YOUR WAY, it's there for you to do so. Don't feed the trolls, ignore them (if they're particularly nasty with language or profanity report them too) and play your game. There are people out there who pay to play (subscribed games) simply so they can attempt to incite players to anger, to hurt players, to insult them. Apparently they get their kicks from this & they will abound in an F2P; ignore & report if necessary. Don't let other people rule your fun!
  • scopeh1984scopeh1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Guild Wars 1 had the best solution for this problem.

There were a group of instances on American servers, a group on European, a group in Asia, and some middle-ground international servers.

While each set of instances were hosted physically in different parts of the world, they were all linked to the main account server - so a player could simply move shard from European district 1 to American district 1 or Asia 1 to play with friends on the other side of the world and vice-versa - all in game without logging out. This meant that if you wanted the best connection possible you could always play on the servers for your continent, but still have the option of switching shards on demand.

Personally I want to see European server shards, simply so I have the best connection possible and so events can be thrown in my time-zone.

Also seperate role-play shards would be welcome - this is D&D afterall... Casual players and role-players wont exactly mix too well.

I have been an occasional role-player, and its pretty hard to do it well on a server when you have kids talking about <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> each others mothers, and bragging about how they are uber geared and everyone else sucks..

It destroys the illusion a bit to say the least... Seperate shards for people only interested in the mechanics of play and winning, and seperate shards for those who want to play a D&D character and are interested in the story side of things please. It is ESSENTIAL
    edited March 2013
    scopeh1984 wrote: »
    Guild Wars 1 had the best solution for this problem.

There were a group of instances on American servers, a group on European, a group in Asia, and some middle-ground international servers.

While each set of instances were hosted physically in different parts of the world, they were all linked to the main account server - so a player could simply move shard from European district 1 to American district 1 or Asia 1 to play with friends on the other side of the world and vice-versa - all in game without logging out. This meant that if you wanted the best connection possible you could always play on the servers for your continent, but still have the option of switching shards on demand.

Personally I want to see European server shards, simply so I have the best connection possible and so events can be thrown in my time-zone.

Also seperate role-play shards would be welcome - this is D&D afterall... Casual players and role-players wont exactly mix too well.

I have been an occasional role-player, and its pretty hard to do it well on a server when you have kids talking about <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> each others mothers, and bragging about how they are uber geared and everyone else sucks..

It destroys the illusion a bit to say the least... Seperate shards for people only interested in the mechanics of play and winning, and seperate shards for those who want to play a D&D character and are interested in the story side of things please. It is ESSENTIAL

There are channels in STO where the role-players go to do their acting and such. It seems to work just fine if you turn off the global channels. I've never been on an rp server where the global channel wasn't an /ooc where people chatted about whatever. No need to go posturing on about "casuals" and how they have potty mouths, especially when you see creepy RP players looking for ERP. Casuals aren't the ones who go on about being uber geared either. Taking pot-shots at others doesn't garner you support from anyone except your own choir.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Exactly! I hate having to server transfer or being stuck since there is no transfer and you spent months on a character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No it doesn't actually, Roleplay servers are just targets for griefers and asshats; both STO and CO have amazing RP communities that hardly ever get griefed because they are right there in plain sight with everyone else and Cryptic has no problem deleting accounts of those who do decide to grief RPers.

This ^^^^^

There are a lot of RPers in Cryptic games.
    L'sya Raiya
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I know its a bit late to chime in here....months in fact. But seeing as how the topic has bumped up anyhow, I might as well challenge this.

Spammers wont be a problem. Cryptic has a rather vicious system built into their chat engine. That is both vile and effective. All it takes is for 5 to 10 people to either report spam or ignore someone and they get insta-slapped with a 24hour chat ban. The system is automated with no moderator over sight.

And yea, as you can imagine, its open to abuse. But it keeps the spammers away. :rolleyes: