test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swordmage

kiviahokiviaho Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Library
I know it's extremely unlikely a non-core class like the Swordmage will be available at launch, but am I the only one who thinks it could make for some really fun and interesting defender/control mechanics in an MMO? It was my favorite 4e class - teleporting itself, allies, and enemies around and dishing out elemental damage while being surprisingly hard to kill.

It's native to the Forgotten Realms setting, so it wouldn't be out of place. I could definitely see it as something players would need to pay for to make available of course, assuming Neverwinter's FTP model works as such.
Post edited by kiviaho on

Comments

• dragonbard71dragonbard71 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I couldn't agree more, as the swordmage was hands down one of top 3 favorite classes to play, so I REALLY hope they add that class!! Or, at the very least, some diversity to the game, as playing the ole' standard party just seems like it would get old pretty fast, no matter how involved the game play is. (Of course, that is STRICTLY a opinion, some people do enjoy playing just the basics, others like a little for flair and favor to their characters ;) )

Hopefully they make the classes then make subclasses you can unlock to pick something a little different if you like :D
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    loved Bladesinger since 2nd ed's kit so Swordmage by default has a special part in my heart when they combine magic and melee in the FR. However, I'm with the camp of Bladesinger here due to it being Neverwinter-themed thanks to 4E story content released last year.

All this written, porting a book game content to n MMO is trickier than you would think, but if there were a class after wizard and bard, I'd love it to be Bladesinger!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dragonbard71dragonbard71 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I love both versions, both the bladesinger and Swordmage (not to mention Bards, lol) so I would happy if any of them made the launch! :D I understand it would be a challenge to developers and not likely to appear on rollout/launch...... but would like to put my hopes for this game to succeed! Dungeons and Dragons needs a better mmo to represent a game that has heavily impacted/led and developed the rpg genre (heck, it's STILL the first name most people think of when they PnP RPG)!!

Ah well, here's to hoping!! :D
  • deathmvp1deathmvp1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I also love this type. It is probly since my first pc was a elf fighter/mage back in 2nd edition and while I have not played the 4ed swordmage I love playing the pathfinder Magus (2/3 fighter in armor that can cast throw his sword.)
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yesyesyesyesyes
    Does it stack?
    (does that count as +5 instead of +1?)
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    I concur with your assessment good sir.
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
  • aumer1aumer1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    loved Bladesinger since 2nd ed's kit so Swordmage by default has a special part in my heart when they combine magic and melee in the FR. However, I'm with the camp of Bladesinger here due to it being Neverwinter-themed thanks to 4E story content released last year.

All this written, porting a book game content to n MMO is trickier than you would think, but if there were a class after wizard and bard, I'd love it to be Bladesinger!

You may be one of my favorite people! I've been in love with the playing Elven Fighter/Mages since the first time I played one. The Bladesinger became my all time favorite character concept after reading it in 2nd Edition. If either made it into this game, I can say without a doubt, "I am a lifetime sub."
  • saorsholsaorshol Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    aumer1 wrote: »
    You may be one of my favorite people! I've been in love with the playing Elven Fighter/Mages since the first time I played one. The Bladesinger became my all time favorite character concept after reading it in 2nd Edition. If either made it into this game, I can say without a doubt, "I am a lifetime sub."

I couldn't agree more.
    edited January 2013
    Swordmages of Selune and Corellon are very common among the good swordmages while swordmage of Shar are there as evil swordmages in the realms.

Other swordmages are quite rare - as swordmages like to worship gods who give them arcana(magic).

p.s. Shar does not give magic but she made shadoweave - apart from the fact of Sseth who does have aracan domain is her underling.
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to jump in the discussion, just to say that in 4e Bladesinger and Swordmage not only are two different builds, but they are two different classes.

The Bladesinger is a "would be" controller, based on Wizard class... but it's actually much more a striker, even if a very controller-ish striker (similar to the Warlock)

The Swordmage is a class by itself, and is a defender. One of the best, actually. The only issue of this class, in 4th edition, is that it has basically one viable build. The other 2 have serious problems at their defender job.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    The Swordmage is a class by itself, and is a defender. One of the best, actually. The only issue of this class, in 4th edition, is that it has basically one viable build. The other 2 have serious problems at their defender job.
    Yep, Swordmages are pretty awesome. They come in two builds listed in the 4e FRCG: the Assault Swordmage and the Shielding Swordmage. But what is this third build you're referring to, is it the Hybrid Swordmage listed in the 4e PHB3?
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Yep, Swordmages are pretty awesome. They come in two builds listed in the 4e FRCG: the Assault Swordmage and the Shielding Swordmage. But what is this third build you're referring to, is it the Hybrid Swordmage listed in the 4e PHB3?

Assault, shielding and ensnaring. Third one is in Arcane Power book.
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »

The Ensnaring Swordmage in Arcane Power, which (consensus-wise) is considered the worst defender with the Cavalier. (edit: ninja'ed :D)

The hybrid version of the Swordmage, instead, works wonderfully... basically with everything, but especially Int primary or secondary arcane classes (Wizard, Artificer and Warlock). I suggest you to look for this build, which is a staple in 4e optimization.

St. Augustinus
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to jump in the discussion, just to say that in 4e Bladesinger and Swordmage not only are two different builds, but they are two different classes.

The Bladesinger is a "would be" controller, based on Wizard class... but it's actually much more a striker, even if a very controller-ish striker (similar to the Warlock)

Yes, they are very different in theme too. Swordmage is melding of melee and magic while bladesinger is half magic, half melee.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?9681-Paragon-of-the-Day&p=165301&viewfull=1#post165301
    I will put in arcane archer tomorrow morning. There exist closest approximations to all the class known in FR.

For now enjoy bladesinger(different than swordmage). Swordmage is a person specializing in magic of sword, but bladesinger mixes sword and magic.

p.s. Gray guard knows he is doing wrong thing, but still does it. Its like, "I am prepared to do evil and damn my soul for eternity. For I shall be happy that my suffering made the world a better place to live."
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sorry if it wasn't clear by me that we were talking about two classes and they are different indeed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Sorry if it wasn't clear by me that we were talking about two classes and they are different indeed!

No problem, i was just saying ^^

The bladesinger, in 4e, unfortunately came out too late. It suffers more than other classes from "essentialization", and it's kinda boring to play. It's not really bad, but it's very vanilla.

St. Augustinus
    edited January 2013
    No problem, i was just saying ^^

The bladesinger, in 4e, unfortunately came out too late. It suffers more than other classes from "essentialization", and it's kinda boring to play. It's not really bad, but it's very vanilla.

*Agreed* I wanted more customization without a multiclass
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ahrimavizxahrimavizx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Any bladesinger or bladedancer type class will always be a favorite of mine. It takes a special kind of skilled psycho to sing or dance while they take on multiple foes in armed combat!
    edited January 2013
    Ive been following Neverwinter since it was first announced, originally planned to play a Ranger when it was a co-op RPG. Now that its an MMO I have to say thus far, Im not impressed with the basic classes as is. I know alot of info is still to come out, and that things can change before launch.

That said, my response atm is.......meh. I REALLY hope Swordmage gets included.
    edited January 2013
    saorshol wrote: »
    Ive been following Neverwinter since it was first announced, originally planned to play a Ranger when it was a co-op RPG. Now that its an MMO I have to say thus far, Im not impressed with the basic classes as is. I know alot of info is still to come out, and that things can change before launch.

That said, my response atm is.......meh.

I read your response from I to h.

That said, my response to your response atm is ... meh.
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I read your response from I to h.

That said, my response to your response atm is ... meh.

Then the feeling is mutual.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I would like all the classes from d&d. Personaly I am not a fan of swordmage but that is no reason for not have it.
  • bogardanbogardan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oh yes.. i DO love the swordmage, i want it in as well! Heck, even if they have to change it around a bit, there's plenty of leeway to make it a very good class for this game.
  • hedronlordhedronlord Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Always loved the magic / Swordsman hybrids. Here's hoping for Paragon classes so I can make them myself!
  • icosagonicosagon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kiviaho wrote: »
    I know it's extremely unlikely a non-core class like the Swordmage will be available at launch, but am I the only one who thinks it could make for some really fun and interesting defender/control mechanics in an MMO? It was my favorite 4e class - teleporting itself, allies, and enemies around and dishing out elemental damage while being surprisingly hard to kill.

It's native to the Forgotten Realms setting, so it wouldn't be out of place. I could definitely see it as something players would need to pay for to make available of course, assuming Neverwinter's FTP model works as such.

Swordmages > Fighters

That's all I'm saying. :)
    edited February 2013
    hedronlord wrote: »
    Always loved the magic / Swordsman hybrids. Here's hoping for Paragon classes so I can make them myself!
    swordmage is a seperate class, not just a paragon
  • astharoastharo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Bladesinger is one of my favorite class. I would love to play one later on if it ever comes. Actually I would love to see the implementation of any type of advanced class :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    080213100725amdba6a.png
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    What sort of spell abilities would be best for this format?
    I could see how a sword/board tank would benefit from some Control powers, self-heals, or even a nice aoe damage spell.
  • jaecernjaecern Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes to Swordmage! But if swordmage comes out, will the Genasi race too? Coz they are like...together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would also love to see this added.