test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fighter Sword and Shield only?

Comments

• Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    i think Gill mentioned ages ago, about 4thE builds there could be 119 on offer to translate from PnP to digital medium (not all fighter) Correct me if im wrong, Maybe it was Zeb.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    i think Gill mentioned ages ago, about 4thE builds there could be 119 on offer to translate from PnP to digital medium (not all fighter) Correct me if im wrong, Maybe it was Zeb.

I think somebody mentioned different weapon options for the GFW but who knows if that is or was true if they changed it. Until we see them, we have no idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    It would be stupid if one cannot use two-hand weaponds or double axes or even the mighty spears
  • Options
    tiima1tiima1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Presumably, a fighter of any build will follow the age old golden fighter rule: if it can be held with hands and used as a weapon, a fighter can use it.
    [SIGPIC]Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.[/SIGPIC]
    Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.
  • Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Totally want to dual wield bed pans.
  • Options
    tiima1tiima1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They probably only do D4 damage. But maybe you could get spiked, flaming bed pans, on chains... that would be more like D8 or D10.
  • Options
    zenzeezenzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I hope that Guardian Fighters get one handed axes and maces as well as swords. Not that I'd play one (I don't like tanking), but it's only fair, after all, I'm pretty sure all the classes get multiple weapons to play with, right?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I can't imagine any fantasy game, mmo or single player, that didn't have warriors being able to wield everything under the sun. If there's a magic weaponized herring, a warrior should be able to use it to kill Treants.
  • Options
    valandur1valandur1 Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2012
    Well it's been confirmed, in an interview, that the GWF can use a scythe, so I'm sure they can also use other polearms, spears, halbie etc...
  • Options
    reillanreillan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited December 2012
    tiima1 wrote: »
    I can't imagine any fantasy game, mmo or single player, that didn't have warriors being able to wield everything under the sun. If there's a magic weaponized herring, a warrior should be able to use it to kill Treants.

It can't be done!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    reillan wrote: »
    It can't be done!
    No!!! Not that word!!!
  • Options
    shield999shield999 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Me too but I wouldn't mind if it were to come out a bit "vanillaish". I'm a tank and can't wait to go head up w/ some bosses and other formidable creatures.
  • Options
    zarkaz123zarkaz123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What I am wondering is if there is going to actually be a tank role, challenging to keep agro but viable. GW2 depressed me that my guardian could not get agro and tank. They don't really have roles in GW like tank, healer, cc, and dps. You can tank some things but it's mostly just everyone dodgeing things. I hope neverwinter will not be like that because I like playing the role as a full time tank, especially if dark knight / death knight / or in DnD terms, Blackguard is possible, WTB Blackguard tanks! Sorry I posted this as reply as for some reason, it will not allow me to post new threads, only replies.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    zarkaz123 wrote: »
    What I am wondering is if there is going to actually be a tank role, challenging to keep agro but viable. GW2 depressed me that my guardian could not get agro and tank. They don't really have roles in GW like tank, healer, cc, and dps. You can tank some things but it's mostly just everyone dodgeing things. I hope neverwinter will not be like that because I like playing the role as a full time tank, especially if dark knight / death knight / or in DnD terms, Blackguard is possible, WTB Blackguard tanks! Sorry I posted this as reply as for some reason, it will not allow me to post new threads, only replies.

Well there is ZERO tank roles in GW2, if you rolled a Guardian expecting to tank stuff then your in for a world of hurt. You can tank technically by being the closest target for a lot of mobs and really the game isn't designed at all for you to just stand there and take a beating. You're gonna die thinking that and die quickly.

Neverwinter will also not be a you stand their and jsut take a beating either. Players need to react and avoid dmg and not just take it. This was said in the demo of the first dungeon boss shown, the werewolfie one. I hope that healing will be similar to GW2 in regard that it's limited and that there isn't a healbot mechanic to it like soooo many MMOs do but players playing smart and avoiding dmg and not just take it up the whazoo.
  • Options
    firaxesfiraxes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I personally hate the lack of roles in GW2 and would be sad to see them completely eliminated here. I don't understand the reason for taking roles out of a role playing game? As a caster I'm fine with needing to be wary of the occasional projectile or AOE blast but I feel the heavily armored characters need to have ways of keeping themselves between mobs and my scantily clad bod. Or at least enough stun/root abilities to allow me to keep distance.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    firaxes wrote: »
    I personally hate the lack of roles in GW2 and would be sad to see them completely eliminated here. I don't understand the reason for taking roles out of a role playing game? As a caster I'm fine with needing to be wary of the occasional projectile or AOE blast but I feel the heavily armored characters need to have ways of keeping themselves between mobs and my scantily clad bod. Or at least enough stun/root abilities to allow me to keep distance.

There are four roles in NW - defender, striker, controller, leader. Lore Info
    However, the trinity of tank, a healer and a dps does not exist. You cannot infinitely tank with defender - you can bring your shield for a bit and block, but as the enemy keeps smashing the shield, your arm gets tired and you bring the shield down.

Check raiderz for more infor on defender and how it is not tank.
  • Options
    zarkaz123zarkaz123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well then..... I like the whole dodge aspect but I feel like not having the need of a tank in every instance / dungeon or what have you would suck for me. Why should I go defensive and try to enjoy myself being a beast when a group can just be all wizard and rogue? The dodge aspect and such should stay, I love it but put some sort of limitation on it so that a tank is needed, atleast for boss fights and raid content. I assume there will be raid content... no raid content in GW2 just saddened me. PvP is nice but not being able to mix it up just sucks. Sorry if I seem selfish with the I like this and that but im pretty sure I am very much not alone. Not looking for a WoW clone, hell no but look at the subscriptions for WoW... pretty high but it's just too damn easy to suck and play casual and get the same gear as everyone else which really bums out some people, no sense of accomplishment. Bring back the will and right for people to brag about what they have and can achieve! WoW and other mmo's are too much like communism now, no way to really stick out and feel good about yourself because you are all the same.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    WoW clone? Does WoW have THIS?

*Nothing can staunch my joy at it being exactly as I hoped it would be in D&D*.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I must admit, that looks amazing and this game actually makes dps warrior / fighter seem very fun. I also was not saying this game seems like a WoW clone, I was just trying to say I don't want it to be or make people think I do because of some of the things I would like to see, like having the need for a tank and playing a real tank role without taking out the whole dodge / action rpg.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013

Kinda looks anime-ish to me. Giant weapon? Check. Non-specific gender appearance? Check. Youthful look? Check. Might as well be playing Anime Online. But I guess that's to be expected, given Cryptic's overlords.

Personally, I want my fighter to be able to weild whatever weapon I-I CHOOSE-, not just what's given to me. For instance, I'd like to be able to make a Drow female fighter that wields a morning star and shield.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Kinda looks anime-ish to me. Giant weapon? Check. Non-specific gender appearance? Check. Youthful look? Check. Might as well be playing Anime Online. But I guess that's to be expected, given Cryptic's overlords.

Personally, I want my fighter to be able to weild whatever weapon I-I CHOOSE-, not just what's given to me. For instance, I'd like to be able to make a Drow female fighter that wields a morning star and shield.

dicto secundum quid ad dictum simpliciter

A fallacy.Look at video. See how realistically they pick and swing the weapon.

Only one move is out of ordinary, that is spinning, but adventurers are supposed to be heroic - i.e. better athletes than olympic winners. So you can say they are just doing something like this.

People these days just want to pick apples from orange trees ... I mean find anime in everything they see. "Oh darling! You have a ponytail. That is soooo anime!"
  • Options
    yoshi77yoshi77 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As more videos and info come out on the game I am starting to get more worried that this game is going to have less choice for the player in the style that they want to play.

First off why two fighter classes? One is a great weapon fighter (greatsword, DPS) and the other is a guardian (sword and shield, tank) That tells me we are going to have very little customization available to us when it comes to weapons.

They should have had 1 fighter class where you can use what ever weapons you like and the guardian class should have been a Paladine.

Also I just have to add that a Ranger class is needed in this game or its just not D&D.
  • Options
    zenzeezenzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yoshi, they said "Great Weapon" and the icon used has both a Sword and Axe in it, so I'm thinking that all they had at the time of recording (which by the way could have been 6 months ago for all we know) all the assets they had were for Greatswords.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    dicto secundum quid ad dictum simpliciter

A fallacy.Look at video. See how realistically they pick and swing the weapon.

Only one move is out of ordinary, that is spinning, but adventurers are supposed to be heroic - i.e. better athletes than olympic winners. So you can say they are just doing something like this.

People these days just want to pick apples from orange trees ... I mean find anime in everything they see. "Oh darling! You have a ponytail. That is soooo anime!"

Only one move. So sword fighters are in the habit of tossing their swords at the enemy then leaping in to snatch it up and attack? I think not. And no, they don't spin that way either. Neither do they make large, sweeping arc attacks that leave them wide open for ripostes by smaller, lighter blades. True, it's a heavy weapon sword...but still, combat is more like this than what we see in that video. It's a game, and it's meant to be flashy, I get that. But those two moves, the spin and the sword throw are what seem anime-ish to me. Might not to someone else, but to me...yeah. Screams it. Gets all up in my face chanting it.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Only one move. So sword fighters are in the habit of tossing their swords at the enemy then leaping in to snatch it up and attack? I think not. And no, they don't spin that way either. Neither do they make large, sweeping arc attacks that leave them wide open for ripostes by smaller, lighter blades. True, it's a heavy weapon sword...but still, combat is more like this than what we see in that video. It's a game, and it's meant to be flashy, I get that. But those two moves, the spin and the sword throw are what seem anime-ish to me. Might not to someone else, but to me...yeah. Screams it. Gets all up in my face chanting it.

You're confusing your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> swords with claymores and two handed swords again. Notice them also using it with one hand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You're confusing your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> swords with claymores and two handed swords again. Notice them also using it with one hand.

That reminded me of a trick I used to try with a claymore.

Take a claymore(blunt of course, and maybe cover it with padding so it doesn't hurt, and in very open area with safety goggles).

Do a swinging arc with right hand while rotating right.

Then let go of the sword, and step back lightly while rotating.

Catch the hilt with left hand.

You might end up with sprained wrist, but it is the coolest thing to do with a claymore. You can also try it with a heavy stick. It really cool when you get a hang of it.

p.s. I copied it from star wars :)
  • Options
    vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Non-specific gender appearance? Check.

If you think she looks "non-gender specific" your junk is broken mate. Broken soft.
  • Options
    rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Looking at the Great weapon Fighter i see them more using Zweihanders then <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> swords, The main difference being weight of the blade and style of use.
    Zweihanders are Great swords primarily because you Can't really use them one handed, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> swords have the option of being used one handed.
    Personally i can see them having maces and the like being Either exclusive to the Cleric (Bah.) Or being a Skin for use with the Animations of the Sword... (Kinda Sucky if thats the Case)
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    rickman wrote: »
    Zweihanders are Great swords primarily because you Can't really use them one handed, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> swords have the option of being used one handed. ...

Exactly. If you use two hands on <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sword, it gives a lot of force to the weapon behind it. But it can be wielded single handed.

Longsword'd hilt is smaller and is only made for one hand. You cant hold a longsword with two hands even if you want to.
  • Options
    shinimas1shinimas1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Exactly. If you use two hands on <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sword, it gives a lot of force to the weapon behind it. But it can be wielded single handed.

Longsword'd hilt is smaller and is only made for one hand. You cant hold a longsword with two hands even if you want to.

I really can't keep away from replying to stuff like this, curse my sword nerdness!

Longsword is actually a two-handed weapon, much like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sword (actually, both <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sword and longsword are pretty much the same thing). Yes, it can be used in one hand, but it was almost always used on one. Think of them as a handier version or "true" two handed swords. DnD's longsword is actually an arming sword.

A typical longsword would have a 120cm blade, give or take, I think my blunt waster has exactly 120cm blade... An arming sword's blade is about 70cm, so there's your difference.

You really don't want to flail a sword around, no matter what it is. It will get you killed in a flash. Even the heaviest swords intended for combat were really not THAT heavy. Cheap modern replicas are often quite overweight. A real two-handed claymore weighs around 2.5 kgs, which is a lot, but you don't swing it around in circles, that's for sure.