test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spooky Adventure Contest (Discussion Thread)

Comments

• deadnsydedeadnsyde Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love Ravenloft, but since this had to occur in or near Neverwinter...I stayed away. This time.
  • girlbrushgirlbrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited October 2012
    A lot of these entries would make fantastic modules in NWO. Hard to predict which ones the judges would pick. Good luck though.
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm excited to think that several people may be reading that book I wrote and submitted as an entry. All the way thru. Mwahahahahaha.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow so many entries. Couldn't read all of them, hope the closed thread still remains for display for us all to read at our leisure...
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Man, I hate being right. I just ended up being too busy to finish mine in time. I lose!

For anybody that's curious: Mordai completes the ritual at the stroke of midnight when the masquerade ends. But it backfires because he doesn't have a handle on the Netherese magic and the whole mansion gets dropped into its own domain of dread in the shadowfell. The masqueraders and the players find themselves trapped in a literal haunted house and have to fight their way back through animate shadows and ghost hounds. Clever players can snoop around the mansion during the ball and discover the ritual before it's completed and confront the cultists directly--maybe prevent the ritual.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Wow so many entries. Couldn't read all of them, hope the closed thread still remains for display for us all to read at our leisure...

I'll go ahead and make a hard copy of them just in case but I see no reason why they shouldn't stick around.

Sorry to hear that, Aavarius! :-(

Good luck to all the contestants!
  • remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That was super fun.

I was intending to give my key away since I already have one I just wanted to see if I could make the best adventure :P

It was difficult since I don't run in any pre-established campaign settings but it was interesting to read a lot of the posts and the Neverwinter-wiki a little bit. Something else good came from this too!

I discovered GURPS and omg I cant even kind of describe how freaking excited i am to try the system. These books are amazing for me as a GM and a player. Though I have never been able to be a player in a system the opportunity's for my character ideas are almost overwhelming. Ive been reading the basic set non stop b:laugh .
    edited October 2012
    It was difficult since I don't run in any pre-established campaign settings but it was interesting to read a lot of the posts and the Neverwinter-wiki a little bit. Something else good came from this too!.

Oh! btw, I also don't require the key - and being in EU(outside US) I suppose I am not eligible for monetary awards like dice bag. So my entry was just for fun and not for competition.
    edited October 2012
    I don't see why you wouldn't qualify. The rules state
    "O. If the total cash value of the Prizes is zero dollars, then the following eligibility rules apply: Contest is open to anyone who agrees to the terms of this Agreement, excluding every national, state, local, or other jurisdiction in which it is prohibited or restricted by any law, statute, regulation, or other appropriate authority (hereafter "Participant")."

And all three prizes are stated to be worth $0.

(ii) The total value of all prizes to be awarded ("Total Value") is $0.00 (zero dollars) (approximate US retail value).

So the rule that states that only US citizens can take part doesn't apply, since that clause is only for prizes that are greater than $0.
  • remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sort of irrelevant though considering the contest is over.
    edited October 2012
    Ugh! I need a beta key. The suspense is killing me!

*dies*
  • anorandaanoranda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7
    edited October 2012
    same here @_@
    edited October 2012
    Sort of irrelevant though considering the contest is over.

It's relevant to gillrmn, since he's not from the US and submitted an entry.
    edited October 2012
    Good morning, and good luck to all of my fellow contestants! I read through the entries again and again all week, and I've arrived at a major conclusion...

Regardless of who wins the contest, the community won, period. We have some very, VERY talented folks here. I can't wait to play this game with you guys!!!
    edited October 2012
    That was super fun.

I was intending to give my key away since I already have one I just wanted to see if I could make the best adventure :P

It was difficult since I don't run in any pre-established campaign settings but it was interesting to read a lot of the posts and the Neverwinter-wiki a little bit. Something else good came from this too!

I discovered GURPS and omg I cant even kind of describe how freaking excited i am to try the system. These books are amazing for me as a GM and a player. Though I have never been able to be a player in a system the opportunity's for my character ideas are almost overwhelming. Ive been reading the basic set non stop b:laugh .

OMG, another GURPS fan. I turned my group onto it, and we've got a pretty amazing campaign waiting to kick off after our current Pathfinder game wraps up. The thing I like most about GURPS is that you can mix genres without having to houserule for something that isn't going to work when RAW. My players' only complaint is that that the character creation takes "so long" - mainly due to unfamiliarity with the system, but they'll get used to it.
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Awesome stories and adventures!

Good luck to everyone!

J
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
    edited October 2012
    OK, I admit I'm watching this thread this AM, and I went back to read the contest rules to see whether I was obsessing over the wrong date....and I was!

It appears that the Notification Date was set for October 26, 2011. I'm calling my time-traveling friend to see if he can give me a ride back a year to find out who won. Then I'll have to travel back to the here and now to prevent it from looking like I cheated, since I would be posting on the forums from a year ago...

But that won't work either - this post wasn't created a year ago. And I don't know if Windows will copy/paste through a time slip. And if it will, then that would seriously bend reality, which would create Paradox, and then I might have to deal with Wrinkle, and nobody wants that.

You sneaky PW forum mods...do you see what you've done here?!?
    edited October 2012
    Wow, you're right deadnsyde. They already announced the results a year ago. I'm guessing that they simply used their crystal ball or precognitive abilities to discern who the winner would be even before the stories were thought of. This makes perfect sense. I mean, what good company doesn't have a psychic or pre-cog on staff?

Obviously since they've already made the announcement a year ago we just need to search through the forum archives to find the post. Any guesses which topic it'd be under?
    edited October 2012
    I just read the results thread. I think we all saw that coming. Am I right?

Cryptic has an interesting way of twisting spacetime to have actually posted a past thread in the future. It was really hard to find at first. Then I just flipped on my temporal modem and it popped right up.

I just want to say "congratulations" to the winner, or do I still say "Good Luck"? Or, uh... I always get mixed up on the tenses of these things. When am I again?

Also, [Insert Technobabble].
    edited October 2012
    I'm searching, but I'm coming up empty-handed. *grumbles something about forums, a monkey and three gnomes, then goes back to searching*
    edited October 2012
    If Cryptic was as awesome as I know they are, they'd post the results of the contest, and then modify the forum database to make it look like it was actually posted a year ago, just to see if anyone else here is as incredibly observant as deadnsyde. (That was a really good catch, by the way.)

Am I getting all the tenses right? Which present am I connected to again? 2012? ... yeah, I think this is right. Every time I plug in the temporal modem the Republic of Microsoft tries to install the update that fixes the Year-65535 bug in Windows 7 thru Windows 4829 and it resets my calendar every time. So annoying, don't you agree?
    edited October 2012
    Republic of Microsoft?? I knew it. Probably took place after the Franchise Wars. I bet with 100% accuracy that Taco Bell (or Pizza Hut) caters their corporate events.

+1 internets to the one who guesses the above reference.
    edited October 2012
    Been checking back here all day. Then re-checked the mass of legal text that is the rules and realized that they probably won't be making this announcement at all, or at least not soon. They're notifying "Potential winners" via email. Awww.
    edited October 2012
    Ah. Well, here's to all the winners! You deserve it!
    edited October 2012
    Really good spot check, deadnsyde.

I'm pretty sure they'll announce the winners publicly soon enough.
    edited October 2012
    lol. They are quite slow in stuff like this. So don't be sure they have decided the winner :)
    Maybe they have started reading the entries now...
    edited October 2012
    Rofl - so to pass the time, check my edit above :) First one to guess the movie earns my undying respect (and my sympathy, since you're likely as old as I am XD)
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    deadnsyde wrote: »
    Rofl - so to pass the time, check my edit above :) First one to guess the movie earns my undying respect (and my sympathy, since you're likely as old as I am XD)

Is it cold in here or is it just me?

Demolition man...
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
    edited October 2012
    Jade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are now my most favoritest forum poster.
    edited October 2012
    Raise your hand if you've been hitting refresh over and over for something new.
This discussion has been closed.