What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Craig's tweets today

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When players see a spider (which they've been conditioned to kill since spiders are a common enemy thrown at players) in the streets, can they assume it (and it's rider) are evil and kill it?

Spiders are like rats. First quest is usually killing spiders in basements or rats in basement.
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was recently shown the quest to kill the rat in the basement from The Bard's Tale that ended up being bigger than a horse and breathed fire.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Spiders are like rats. First quest is usually killing spiders in basements or rats in basement.
    aavarius wrote: »
    I was recently shown the quest to kill the rat in the basement from The Bard's Tale that ended up being bigger than a horse and breathed fire.

Only a moron or genius of homage would have their first quest killing spiders and/or rats in a basement of sorts...oh, and that reminds me to say play my first quest :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Obviously the answer here is to put them in the attic.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Obviously the answer here is to put them in the attic.

But where do I store my "special" family member we never let anybody see publicly?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Spiders like rats? If they were I'd be able to deal with them in a more civilized manner.

I have the formal symptoms of arachnophobia without the actual "fear" part of it.
    Rats, snakes, mice, lizards...nothing. I can joke and say they're cute and cuddly...and in part mean it.

Spiders, on the contrary, are subject to the most extreme case of Darwinism. The strong survive and the weak die defined by their ability to never be in my presence. There's no such thing as inhumane or cruel and unusual when in reference to spiders.

True Story:
    My father owned a bar and one of the patrons brought his pet tarantula in to show off. One of the guys at the bar was very much like me and simply said "if that thing comes near me I'll kill it."
    Thinking it funny to pester the man he goaded him and sent the spider his way. It ended up a lovely goo mark on the floor and while the owner was in tears the spider-hating man simply said "I told you to keep it away from me," with no emotion displayed on his face whatsoever.

While I feel sympathy for the fact the man lost his...pet?...I'd do the same thing any day. The only good spider is a dead spider. Bring on the mosquitoes!

The point of this post: If there are to be rideable spiders in the game I want equally big boots to step on them and plenty of Foundry Content designed with the sole purpose of exterminating the vile beasts.

A video for Vindicon
    Scariest spiders to fight in video game history
  • Options
    vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The only good spider is a dead spider. Bring on the mosquitoes!

Mosquitoes will hover around you endlessly at night, not letting you sleep and bleeding you dry like miniature abberant vampires.

Spiders will happily stay out of sight in some dark corner, will never annoy you and will catch and eat any mosquitoes that are passing by before they get a chance to attack you.

I know where my allegience lies...

Spiders are just like the their Queen, Lolth.

Leave them alone and they'll never bother you.
    Come asking for it and you're screwed.
    This video portrays the same exact thing.

Also no, this is not the scariest spider in video games. Not when there's this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    But where do I store my "special" family member we never let anybody see publicly?

Good news! I will be writing a Foundry mission about just that.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    My father owned a bar and one of the patrons brought his pet tarantula in to show off. One of the guys at the bar was very much like me and simply said "if that thing comes near me I'll kill it."
    Thinking it funny to pester the man he goaded him and sent the spider his way. It ended up a lovely goo mark on the floor and while the owner was in tears the spider-hating man simply said "I told you to keep it away from me," with no emotion displayed on his face whatsoever.
    \...

Thank you for letting us know. I am sending spiderman on his way.

p.s. @vindi what do spiders do? They at most crawl on your arms and still you can easily shake them away without panicking. Also spiders do a great service by catching airborne insects and stopping them from annoying us. APart from that, spiders have inspired scientists to make really strong polymers (and this is a reality now).
    Spiders are good friends instead of evil lolth so please don't compare them.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well there are a number of venomous spiders in the world. Some that are neurotoxins. Some are necrotic poisons that eat flesh. Then there are Solifugae which arachnides with a fairly mean bite (but has more urban legends about them that pass for truth than any other spider I have seen). But yes, in general they are harmless and useful to a number of ecosystems.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

p.s. @vindi what do spiders do? They at most crawl on your arms and still you can easily shake them away without panicking. Also spiders do a great service by catching airborne insects and stopping them from annoying us. APart from that, spiders have inspired scientists to make really strong polymers (and this is a reality now).
    Spiders are good friends instead of evil lolth so please don't compare them.

Lolth is not evil. She's just traumatised from her abusive ex-husband. If you get to know her, she's actually a very kind person.

Give her some love, y'all b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    Lolth is not evil. She's just traumatised from her abusive ex-husband. If you get to know her, she's actually a very kind person.

Give her some love, y'all ...

Heretics...
    I will go inform the Seldarine's followers of your presence.

:p
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Heretics...
    I will go inform the Seldarine's followers of your presence.

And that's the same mistake all the goodlies make when dealing with Lolth - they just can't leave her have some R&R. And then they complain when poor ol' Lolth fights back and hands them their rear ends in a fruit basket...

But, who cares? Bring 'em on! And fast, if possible - you know, got places to go, elves to skin etc b:sin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, lava puking spiders are quite nasty but to me disturbances come from the reality of the situation. I can imagine dealing with a spider twice my size oozing venom from it's mandibles.
    The first time I faced that atrocious beast I got shiver's throughout my spine just because the entire screen turns into one giant close up view of two wet fangs.

In any case, as I said, I have every symptom of arachnophobia except "fear."
    With that goes unnatural, excessive and unwarranted hatred. I hear all the arguments for the good spiders do and I honestly can't explain why but I really don't care. It all makes perfect sense and somewhere in the back of my mind I agree but I can't consciously accept a response to seeing a spider other than kill on sight.
    I'm not afraid when I see or touch a spider. I just have an irrational and insatiable hatred for them.

If the Spider Queen loves her precious babies she can take them back to the demon-web pits and live happily ever after. I won't bother her or them if they don't show themselves to me.
    Otherwise I might have to rewrite the lore books and create a storyline involving the death of Lolth *evil grin*

Irrational, unquenchable and unnatural hatred. No use in persuading me. I know you're right even if I'm unable to accept it.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I just have an irrational and insatiable hatred for them.

That is good. Welcome to the dark side! Let us brand all the followers and spiders as "evil" and exterminate them. And kill Lolth too while we are at it.

That is exactly the strategy of "good" gods we follow. Exterminate exterminate...
    (why do people want to play evil when good can be evil-er and still win unlike evil)
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That is good. Welcome to the dark side! Let us brand all the followers and spiders as "evil" and exterminate them. And kill Lolth too while we are at it.

That is exactly the strategy of "good" gods we follow. Exterminate exterminate...
    (why do people want to play evil when good can be evil-er and still win unlike evil)

"I'm quite sure I have no idea what you mean, gillrmn " Jade replied after plunging her enchanted dagger into the back of a lich...

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Give her some love, y'all b:angry

I was still laughing when I typed this reply. THAT was funny!

"I'm quite sure I have no idea what you mean, gillrmn " Jade replied after plunging her enchanted dagger into the back of a lich...

JS

EX-TER-MI-NATE!

Now which creature says that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I was still laughing when I typed this reply. THAT was funny!

Hey, domestic violence is not a laughing matter! b:angry

It's a horrible experience that can change the victim for life!

Like... changing to a giant mutant spider.

For life...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enygmasoulenygmasoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey, domestic violence is not a laughing matter! b:angry

It's a horrible experience that can change the victim for life!

Like... changing to a giant mutant spider.

For life...

Vindi, for some reason the latest playable character being released in League of Legends really reminds me of you: http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/images/news/October_2012/2012_10_19_Inside_Design_Elise/Elise_concept.jpg
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use "
    -- Galileo Galilei
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    enygmasoul wrote: »
    Vindi, for some reason the latest playable character being released in League of Legends really reminds me of you: http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/images/news/October_2012/2012_10_19_Inside_Design_Elise/Elise_concept.jpg

I know. Of course I do. You think that there would be any chance of anything appearing inside a 12 parsec radius, bearing the name "The Spider Queen" without me knowing?

Ha!

Guess what will be the first thing I buy come Halloween.
    I'll give you 2 hint: it has 8 legs and it dances the Can-Can b:dirty

Also, while we're at the subject of spiders and LoL: this video will either cure your arachnophobia once and for all or cause you a heart attack... or stroke... either way, I bear no responsability for the outcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Awww How CUUUTE! *Lights up Flamethrower*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    A direct quote from a discussion where that video was linked:
    Not sure which emotion wins out...death to spiders or "wow they almost look cute and cuddly?"

I think Truth has the right answer though. *Asks the Army to borrow a Flamethrower*
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    "No, no, no!" the mage cries as he unleashes a spell to control the weather and snuffs out the flames with momentary gale-force winds and rain.

"The last thing we want to do is draw the attention of Lolth here!" he continues to speak in a stern voice. "Here," he answers, pointing to a large crate. "Gather the spiders and place them in there. We'll ship them south, to Waterdeep." The mage nods, agreeing with himself then adds, "Let the Nine sort them out."

"I'll get the big one's attention and draw it away," he says in a hurried tone as he prepares another spell.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    "No, no, no!" the mage cries as he unleashes a spell to control the weather and snuffs out the flames with momentary gale-force winds and rain.

"The last thing we want to do is draw the attention of Lolth here!" he continues to speak in a stern voice. "Here," he answers, pointing to a large crate. "Gather the spiders and place them in there. We'll ship them south, to Waterdeep." The mage nods, agreeing with himself then adds, "Let the Nine sort them out."

"I'll get the big one's attention and draw it away," he says in a hurried tone as he prepares another spell.
    *Closes up the crate shipping to Waterdeep and labels it "To the Descendants of Volo, Enjoy!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Takes the labelled crate and throws it in the furnace labeled "Mount Doom".
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Takes the labelled crate and throws it in the furnace labeled "Mount Doom".

*Fines member for cross-referencing worlds then beams up...D'OH!*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enygmasoulenygmasoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    *Fines member for cross-referencing worlds then beams up...D'OH!*

Nah, Truth, you're fine. D&D has already provided a very convenient loophole for sci-fi references.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use "
    -- Galileo Galilei
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    *Fines member for cross-referencing worlds then beams up...*

to anywhere but R'lyeh...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    to anywhere but R'lyeh...

I was just there, how do you...TENTACLES!

*That's the last coherent word understood before he babbles incoherently rushing off insanely*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rahverahve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited October 2012
    A direct quote from a discussion where that video was linked:

I think Truth has the right answer though. *Asks the Army to borrow a Flamethrower*

My favourite Mass Effect character, Tali'Zorah, has something to say after watching the video: Spiders!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

- W.E.H.