test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter the MMO: What We Know

ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Post edited by ryvvik on

Comments

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Seems like she needs to actually read Truths FAQ and watch a few of the dev vids
    Bad because it?s a given that Cryptic will release more content, and designers will likely have to buy it to use it. Cryptic will profit off of your creative work in exchange for this service, a lot more directly than NWN. I?ve seen no indication that designers will be compensated by perks or store coin based on the popularity of their work.

Both Jack and Craig have said a few times that the wouldn't charge for foundry content.

This is not how I want to play an MMO. This is not how D&D should be played. My finger tendons already cannot handle much more than LotRO, making me often prefer a PS3 controller. Maybe these new console action MMOs will be a boon for using a console controller, actually, but in Neverwinter I?m more interested in calmly designing dungeons and writing stories. Boring for me, more and more these days, is the action and watching things explode.

I love when people tell me how D&D should be played or how D&D should be transposed to the electronic format...anyway I didn't feel like I needed a controller, the combat wasn't twitchy at all and I'm far from a console FPS guy, and again if she did a bit of research she would have seen that.

The article is written well it just should be called Neverwinter, what I know because I didn't use Google. I see her sources..it's just doesn't look like she followed them.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Seems like she needs to actually read Truths FAQ and watch a few of the dev vids.

Aye is was doing your eyeroll and sighing prettymuch through all of it

I love when people tell me how D&D should be played or how D&D should be transposed to the electronic format...anyway I didn't feel like I needed a controller, the combat wasn't twitchy at all and I'm far from a console FPS guy, and again if she did a bit of research she would have seen that.

The article is written well it just should be called Neverwinter, what I know because I didn't use Google. I see her sources..it's just doesn't look like she followed them.

Yeah everone one elses comments from the gaming sourced references, gotta love the good old steenky pete's.
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I agree with storm, they haven't done that much research just based on the few lines of reference material
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It is also a strategy of journalists to write fake negetives of something in order to get more people to read it. It seems like those "make it and fake it" kind of "review".
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    There are so many things wrong and misrepresented in that article. It starts off with an inaccuracy and just gets worse.
    "When Cryptic?s Neverwinter was originally announced, I wasn?t interested. I assumed that it would be a crackerbox MMO that would just insult a real robust D&D game system."

.... When it was first announced, it was going to be a Single Player Game with Co-Op, so how did they assume it would be an MMO? I'm going to refrain from commenting on the rest of this article as it isn't worth it. It sounds to me like they had all the wrong expectations to begin with and I agree, I do not like it when people exclaim, as though it is fact, to what D&D is or should be.

It is a very negatively biased article with too many personal undertones and is not something I would have condoned posting. Which, that is probably why it is on wordpress and not a reputable gaming news site.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »

It is a very negatively biased article with too many personal undertones and is not something I would have condoned posting.

If you see a problem with it, or is in bad taste Zeb plz at your descetion take it down, my only reason to post it was to show how wrong some can be, and this is what is one of the battles faced. Im sure that (cryptics) shoulders can take the wanes, over the Ubers, and at the end of the day we see a game that will blow peoples socks off specially the writer of that post.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    If you see a problem with it, or is in bad taste Zeb plz at your descetion take it down, my only reason to post it was to show how wrong some can be, and this is what is one of the battles faced. Im sure that (cryptics) shoulders can take the wanes, over the Ubers, and at the end of the day we see a game that will blow peoples socks off specially the writer of that post.

Oh no, I didn't mean to come across as though it doesn't have a place here. To explain, what I meant was "I wouldn't have condoned it's posting on a Gaming News Site if I were the Managing Editor at said News Site." I didn't mean that I didn't condone such a posting here on the forums.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that article is just that, the opinions of the author and is not a news article. I hope people can tell the difference and notice that it is on a Wordpress Blog site instead of a Reputable News site. I don't see anything in violation of our rules here. After-all, even bad publicity can be good publicity.
    edited October 2012
    Oh no, I didn't mean to come across as though it doesn't have a place here.

neither was i, but i do value that you are a long serving member of the community, and your opinion(s) have always been valued weight wise + your mod status in case its not suited.
    After-all, even bad publicity can be good publicity.

Exactly what i was aiming at... without pulling to longbow string ...(twannnngggg)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    While the lines do blur, sometimes a blog is not a news site but a place to vent your opinion or even just be a op-ed site. Best we can do is ask the sharer be informed on their information.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The article is ripe with inaccuracies, however these type of personal opinions of Neverwinter I hear a lot in DDOland.

There are a lot of preconceived notions based on PW or Cryptic's past that will continue to be brought up.

The author made some good points and a lot of bad points.

Bottom line, Neverwinter needs better promo videos, that highlight the game's strengths and features, because there's just too much low res content floating around that just screams boring hack n slash. Many official videos simply look dated... and the game's not even out yet.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The article is ripe with inaccuracies, however these type of personal opinions of Neverwinter I hear a lot in DDOland.

There are a lot of preconceived notions based on PW or Cryptic's past that will continue to be brought up.

The author made some good points and a lot of bad points.

Bottom line, Neverwinter needs better promo videos, that highlight the game's strengths and features, because there's just too much low res content floating around that just screams boring hack n slash. Many official videos simply look dated... and the game's not even out yet.

All I could do there was offer what we actually knew...then the *^*&^ glitch bug hit me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Yeah you did a great job responding.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • si1verange1si1verange1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Seems like she needs to actually read Truths FAQ and watch a few of the dev vids... Both Jack and Craig have said a few times that the wouldn't charge for foundry content... I see her sources..it's just doesn't look like she followed them.

I don't think that's what I said. Hi Neverwinter people! I'm off to bed after a long day of LotRO, but here is my reply to iamthetruthseeker's clarification, which was much appreciated! :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify, iamthetruthseeker. :) Of course my opinions are my opinions, and facts are facts. My writing style is ?snarky? like my moniker. I think sweet, angelic blogging is a little boring. I certainly wasn?t trying to bash the game before it?s released or anything. Mainly, I try to help people with my blog.

By far my most popular posts, as you can see (on my "most popular posts" list), are educational guide-type writing. I am a non-profit casual blogger and fan of RPGs. Based on Massively comments, I saw that people out there aren?t very aware of the features of this game. I wanted to honestly try to educate myself as well as readers with this blog post.

If anything here does need to be literally changed due to non-factual, I am embarrassed, and I apologize and would ask that you please clarify further. I?ve read your post and the comments in the official forum, and I?m not identifying lots of wrong statements. Some things aren?t 100% clear, but that is due to time and length considerations, as well as making my opinion point, focusing on the aspect that I think is noteworthy or debatable.

Yes, I know you can turn off the golden path. It was said in the dev videos that the forum people seem to think I didn?t really watch. Players always tend to follow the path of least resistance. I protested against the quest objective arrows in Oblivion and LotRO much more loudly. What if the party leader wants to use the path and you don?t?

I didn?t say that the Foundry will charge authors to use content, or charge players to use creations. I only said the *future* can change things. How do you know it won't? I am approaching Neverwinter based on my experience with LotRO. Business needs can reverse previous good intentions in a heartbeat, no matter what promises were made. I saw this with both LotRO and SWTOR. And who is ?enforcing? not going down a pay to win path? (Genuinely intrigued by this phrasing.)

Thanks again for being reasonable. When I write a post, I have no idea if anyone is even going to read it, and I honestly don?t care. I write because I enjoy it and want to help people, and it shocks me sometimes how well this little WordPress blog does with SEO.

Edit-- as of this morning, I've made four or five small changes in response to the feedback in this thread.

Thanks again,

~ Jacquotte (KittkittyBoomBoom)
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't think that's what I said. Hi Neverwinter people! I'm off to bed after a long day of LotRO, but here is my reply to iamthetruthseeker's clarification, which was much appreciated! :)

I didn?t say that the Foundry will charge authors to use content, or charge players to use creations. I only said the *future* can change things. How do you know it won't? I am approaching Neverwinter based on my experience with LotRO. Business needs can reverse previous good intentions in a heartbeat, no matter what promises were made. I saw this with both LotRO and SWTOR. And who is ?enforcing? not going down a pay to win path? (Genuinely intrigued by this phrasing.)

Hi Jacquotte, while it's true you didn't say that they absolutely would, you did say they likely would, and that fly's in the face of what Jack Emert and Craig Zinkevich has said and reiterated many times.

I do agree that anything could happen in the future but when you are youtubed saying "we will not charge for content period" or You want to give modders all these great tools to make content you don't want to charge them for it (paraphrasing) you are gong to have a hard time going back on that; as a couple of our politicians are finding out "YouTube is foeva."

That's basically where I was coming from, I don't think there is any need for you to be embarrassed or apologize, like you said you are coming from the place of being a long time LOTRO player and Turbine does have a "if we can charge for it we will" ethos.

I was pretty skeptical myself but kept hearing the good press and finally got to do a hands on with the game and I'm excited and hopeful more so than I have been about a MMO in a long time. I would very much like to see your thoughts on the game once your beta slot is activated.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited October 2012

Thanks again,

It is very appreciable that you want your article to be factually correct and are ready to edit it. Ofcourse, opinion formed should be your own as long as facts are correct.

I would also like to point a few things then which may help you if you look them up:-
    Bad because it?s a given that Cryptic will release more content, and designers will likely have to buy it to use it. Cryptic will profit off of your creative work in exchange for this service, a lot more directly than NWN. I?ve seen no indication that designers will be compensated by perks or store coin based on the popularity of their work.
    Designers will get astral diamonds in donation from players but nothing of monetary value is expected(as devs confirmed in PAX). Also high quality content creating authors would be given benefits (probably astral diamonds) to make more missions over time. Though this all part has not been completely finalized yet.
    You?ll quest based on 4-star user ratings for the convenience. Not too immersive.
    The campaigns will be lumped together as a set of missions. They would be given by barmaid as rumors or on job-boards to keep immersiveness alive.

Open World+Instance is supposed to be similar or improvement over CO.
    Bad because there is no tab targeting. They are using an aiming reticule. Get ready to aim that magic missile at the monster, only to have it move and you miss.
    There is no tab targetting, but reticule may be assisted by AI. This was discussed by Andy when talking about cleric's delay. However, not finalized as it will be changed based on feedback in beta.
    4th ed. D&D rules are used
    It was clarified by devs that game is "based on" 4e rules and not a "direct conversion" of pnp. So many things may be different than pnp.
    each class has an active dodge/block type ability to mitigate damage
    4e clerics in daggerdale had heal as their utility power while all others had teleport/dodge/block. So may not completely be true for all classes.
    Everyone knows there are lots of tieflings and drow running around in Neverwinter
    Actually post 4e (as in after Gauntylgyr novel by RA Salvatore), it is actually true. Tieflings are not half-devil child but humans who went into now-defunct devil pact. Drows have come out and drizzt is in the region. So they are quite common than before especially in neverwinter as it is being reconstructed and has always been multi-racial city.
    Bad because there are only four classes. Fighter. Thief. Wizard. Rogue.
    Thief and Rogue is one class. They have demoed only 3 classes and confirmed four - but they say more will be added at launch. They are keping it under warps. Four confirmed classes are - Fighter, rogue, wizard and cleric.
    The visuals are supposedly spectacular, and look good in preview videos.
    One bad point is most of the trailer show bad videos/low-res videos than actual gameplay trailers. Cryptic needs to correct it.

I appreciate your willingness to verify the facts for your blogs.

EDIT: Also dragonborn are native to Faerun due to Abeir merging with Toril. Shadowvar are also expected to be central with the bad guy working near Xinelal mote which you may remember from previous D&D games.
    edited October 2012
    PW's reputation leaves much to be desired in the pay2win arena. Let's be honest, if Emmert is 100% honest about no pay2win in Nevewinter, it will be a first. So Kitty's doubts about somehow charging for Foundry somewhere down the road may not be far off. Actually, the number of available slots for making new content we know is already limited and will cost for all but the best content producers.

Mr. Emmert has made the exact same promises before with STO, yet you have items in the store that Emmert himself stated would never be in the shop (stat items). Lockbox ships, K'zinti Doffs, Purple Doffs, Mk XII STF gear, Mk X-XII [zzz] x3 gear, depending on your faction half the c-store consoles, all can be considered pay2win. These are not cosmetic only, as originally promised.

Furthermore they are already selling +stat items in the Raiderz store and that game hasnt even started open beta yet.

Previous defenses of "Atari was calling the shots" are meaningless, when the words cash shop and Perfect World are in the same sentence.

We can not be sure pay2win isn't going to creep into NWO, and I'll bet most, if being honest, would expect PW to sneak it in, in some form.

I am truly hoping Emmert is honest this time around, because this could be a fresh new start for Cryptic and Emmert, and a refreshing one.

• nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

Thief and Rogue is one class. They have demoed only 3 classes and confirmed four - but they say more will be added at launch. They are keping it under warps. Four confirmed classes are - Fighter, rogue, wizard and cleric.

rofl that one made me laugh...rogue and thief...pfff... i strongly assume ranger will also be introduced at launch because it would be the only non magical "true" distance fighter and because it is also one of the 5 "shades" from the original cover picture...

i strongly hope they will introduce more classes at launch or very soon afterwards, against money if need be...none of the classes i like is in as of now b:cry

what i do very much like is the way the are handling customization as of now - you can swap the look of your gear with every other gear you ever found and keep the stats...and you can buy colors -against real money- ...i very much like that system, its fair and very convenient

the one thing that annoys me a bit is that the level cap seems to be at 60...i dont like games with so high level caps and prefer the d&d style of few levels, long gain periods...besides the amount of skills you get seems to be pretty limited for such a progression...well

as far as paying goes...if they stick very true to what they claim (and hardly any dev these days does, thats why they are very scarce with infos) - thats things that will probably be charged:

- colors
    - cool looking gear (i assume the look of the stuff you can find is very limited)
    - companions (fluff)
    - companion outfits (combat)
    - other classes than the base classes (half orc barbarian anyone??)
    - other paragon paths than the base ones
    - other races (half orc barbarian anyone?? HELL YEAH)
    - revive scroll (for immediate more convenient reviving)
    - xp potions
    - fluff items such as fire works
    - guild outfits / emblems
    - mounts
    - character slots
    - bank slots
    - services such as server transfer
  • mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    PW's reputation leaves much to be desired in the pay2win arena. Let's be honest, if Emmert is 100% honest about no pay2win in Nevewinter, it will be a first. So Kitty's doubts about somehow charging for Foundry somewhere down the road may not be far off. Actually, the number of available slots for making new content we know is already limited and will cost for all but the best content producers.

It gets a little tiring hearing people call PWE games pay to win, I have been playing PWI and FE for quite some time and I have yet to been able to buy anything other than a small buff or XP increase most items are cosmetic and the vast majority of people playing the game could care less and the last time I looked PWI and FE had a lot more players than most of the so called "work for it" games
    Mr. Emmert has made the exact same promises before with STO, yet you have items in the store that Emmert himself stated would never be in the shop (stat items). Lockbox ships, K'zinti Doffs, Purple Doffs, Mk XII STF gear, Mk X-XII [zzz] x3 gear, depending on your faction half the c-store consoles, all can be considered pay2win. These are not cosmetic only, as originally promised.

Mr. Emmert also had to answer to Atari who was making those decisions and now that they are in just watch the unmitigated hell that will be unleashed if they are removed, people spend a lot of money on lockbox keys like it or not.
    Furthermore they are already selling +stat items in the Raiderz store and that game hasnt even started open beta yet.

Which are temporary buffs not unlike having a mage buff you in WoW.
    Previous defenses of "Atari was calling the shots" are meaningless, when the words cash shop and Perfect World are in the same sentence.
    No it isn't especially when it is factual and not everyone agrees with your assessment of pay to win
    We can not be sure pay2win isn't going to creep into NWO, and I'll bet most, if being honest, would expect PW to sneak it in, in some form.

As someone else said before no matter what Cryptic puts in the cash shop someone will cry Pay to win.
    I am truly hoping Emmert is honest this time around, because this could be a fresh new start for Cryptic and Emmert, and a refreshing one.

That really sounds like a veiled way of saying Jack Emmert lied and does it frequently, that's uncalled for. Given your over the top reputation on these forums I really am hesitant to get into this with you but it's wrong to call others liars and to misrepresent what perfect world does
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
    edited October 2012
    I agree with you andre. If any area where this game can be criticized is the economics/cash shop/marketing area. However, no details regarding that are out except constant claims and official stand that game won't be p2w and that only consumable and convenience items would be in shop. So most of the criticism would be speculation.

As for the game itself, the only place I can probably criticize is that they may have less "PC stat customization" but it is understandable as in such a game importing all those stats may make the game unbalanced. Also devs have claimed that making a class is easy and sound like if needed and if it is a big issue after release, they can stop other features and spam a lot of different classes in game. So that part can be left to "feedback" from community (may the loudest voice win :) )

Apart from that, I really fail to understand any other area of criticism apart from delay - which also mean that budget allotted to the game has increased ever since its inception i.e. publishers have confidence that the game is worth putting money in (in other terms more milk-able).

A good article balanced article should bring those points as game's negatives as apart from those, there are just no negatives. But these negatives are more of a speculation due to lack of information or excess of claims on these issues.
    edited October 2012
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    It gets a little tiring hearing people call
    I was going through DDO forums just because I haven't opened those for years. I wanted to check DDO community's opinion on the NW game. Over there in the thread I found andre (he is the one who found the haggle bard build missisippee queen there) the only one defending and trying to persuade DDO people to join NW.

I believe most of what he has noted down are the opinions presented against his persuasion by DDO community. You can check that thread somewhere in off-topic DDO>Neverwinter I think was title.

So it doesn't really matter what ground reality is, the point is that PWE is perceived as p2w. It may be, may not be - it matters less.

And andre, lol, I get it. You are advertising the game that way by copying the argument presented against you here and then copying the answers there - aren't you :D
    But it is a good thing I think, playing ambassador for the NW there.
    edited October 2012
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    snip

I was referring to the very evident pay2win reputation that Perfect World has earned, for good and bad. You may believe that everyone who "cries pay2win" is wrong and your definition of pay2win is the only one that is correct, but Cryptic is going to be selling NWO to the masses, including those who feel past pay2win commitments were not kept.

There are many takes on pay2win, and until Cryptic releases the details to NWO's cash shop, none of us can say for sure that Mr. Emmert's words will ring true.

I am 100% in the corner of PW/Cryptic, and am hoping for a killer game as much as anyone else here, but I am not a fanboi that just follows along. I like to question, and I have a hell of a memory.

So far I dont see pay2win in Neverwinter, and as long as the Foundry gives you enough slots (I believe STO gives 8) and additional for top flight producers, that's a pretty darn good deal. I also have a pretty flexible definition of pay2win, but DDO and STO are loaded with pay2win imho. The thing is though it never bothers my game, as I am happy to support developers that make a good game.

edited October 2012
    I was going through DDO forums just because I haven't opened those for years. I wanted to check DDO community's opinion on the NW game. Over there in the thread I found andre (he is the one who found the haggle bard build missisippee queen there) the only one defending and trying to persuade DDO people to join NW.

I believe most of what he has noted down are the opinions presented against his persuasion by DDO community. You can check that thread somewhere in off-topic DDO>Neverwinter I think was title.

So it doesn't really matter what ground reality is, the point is that PWE is perceived as p2w. It may be, may not be - it matters less.

And andre, lol, I get it. You are advertising the game that way by copying the argument presented against you here and then copying the answers there - aren't you :D
    But it is a good thing I think, playing ambassador for the NW there.

Gill is a very, very observant man! ;)

edited October 2012
    It is very appreciable that you want your article to be factually correct and are ready to edit it. Ofcourse, opinion formed should be your own as long as facts are correct.

I would also like to point a few things then which may help you if you look them up:-

Thank you, Gill. I bandaged a few more places with your information, and quoted you on the Tiefling and Drow races in the post-4E lore. Yes, this is not great journalism but I write my blog as a gamer "of the people", not a pro writer with everything that entails. I have a full time job, and no gaming research assistant on hand.
    The campaigns will be lumped together as a set of missions.

That's interesting, and could be workable. Thanks for the clarification! :) Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I need to read up some R.A. Salvatore lore this winter, like I did with Drew Karpashyn's books before SWTOR.
    rofl that one made me laugh...rogue and thief...pfff..

A typo that I've fixed, darling. /facepalm at kitty proofreading failure ooh what's that moving outside the window?

Mr. Emmert has made the exact same promises before with STO, yet you have items in the store that Emmert himself stated would never be in the shop (stat items)... etc

Yes, that's kind of where I was coming from, but I didn't want to go after Cryptic/PW examples. That's a little bit too big and hot of a topic to handle. As I said, I'm willing to give them the benefit in Neverwinter until they prove otherwise. I'd be thrilled if this game turns out to be great. On the other hand, pre-launch F2P promises in the industry are developing a track record, in my book, of being misleading or simply false.

Thank you Andre, I AM, and Gill. :) I guessed right that you all are a credit to the Neverwinter community and wouldn't beat me up too much. Let's hope that Neverwinter evolves into a great game that a lot of players will enjoy for years to come.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

A typo that I've fixed, darling. /facepalm at kitty proofreading failure ooh what's that moving outside the window?

i meant the source your linked not your response...

i wrote an answer with some new info but the moderator deleted it

b:sad
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Great to see you care enough to edit and re-validate your article.
    All in all it was an interesting read but there were a few nose-crinkling moments of inaccurate information but it shows true care and character that you would come here and not only read the criticism but also take the time out to adjust your article accordingly.

Of course we're all afraid of the cash shop and I agree if there's one area I am dreaded to see it's the nature of that beast in particular but I have never seen developers so adamant on doing what respectable players want before. After all they have claimed I think they would be hard pressed to truly go too far over the line with cash shop rewards.

This game won't be like the other D&D RPG's we have seen thus far but the truth of the matter is that we truly can't say whether we like the literary licences on gameplay mechanics until we ourselves get our hands on it.
    I will say, however, that there were even a few critics of the system on these forums who have tried out the mechanics and fallen in love. So although it isn't the good old d20 system that we all know and love those who have gotten their hands on the game demo itself have rave reviews.

I've wanted a game where FPS Immersion/Skills translated into a fantasy setting for years and right now it looks like NW is the closest thing to that dream.
    edited October 2012

Yes, this is not great journalism but I write my blog as a gamer "of the people", not a pro writer with everything that entails. I have a full time job, and no gaming research assistant on hand.

We are just simple fans too but I guess everyone on these forums is a little bit too knowledgeable due to us following this game for around two years and a lot of delays :p

We made jokes about drows and tieflings too. Infact if you see 3.5e tiefling - they have sall almost invisible horns and humanoid face. These 4e tieflings have large horns (yes the game art is official and realistic as they are working in close association with WotC) and deformed features as seen in games - still in 3.5e people are afraid and try to kill tieflings when they s them but in 4e they are just "slightly uncomfortable" during trade.

Just for reference, the lore of the game is official. The pen and paper 4e campaign book "Neverwinter" was supposed to release with this game but this game kept getting delayed due to problems from previous publisher. So the pen and paper version was released earlier. The art of valindra in pen and paper book was the concept of cryptic artists which was adopted by WotC (the darwing of valindra).
    So lore is real and "cannon" in this game.
    edited October 2012
    i meant the source your linked not your response...

i wrote an answer with some new info but the moderator deleted it

b:sad

Records indicate you were the only one who edited your post. No post in this thread has been moderated. Please feel free to private message me if you (or anyone for that matter) feel that you have been mis-moderated. The discussion here has remained civil and informative, let's keep it that way.

Thanks,
    ~Zebular
    edited October 2012
    Thank you Andre, I AM, and Gill. :) I guessed right that you all are a credit to the Neverwinter community and wouldn't beat me up too much. Let's hope that Neverwinter evolves into a great game that a lot of players will enjoy for years to come.

We aim to please!

You get kudos from me for admitting some weaknesses your blog and updating them with the facts. There are plenty of "professional journalists" that do not practice the same ethics as you just did.

Hope to see you running around in Faerun someday! ;)

edited October 2012
    So the pen and paper version was released earlier. The art of valindra in pen and paper book was the concept of cryptic artists which was adopted by WotC (the darwing of valindra).
    So lore is real and "cannon" in this game.

I did mention that the lore in Cryptic's Neverwinter will be canon, which makes it even more impressive and something to look forward to. I added another small note to my blog post about the campaign setting. For some reason the update to the post this morning didn't seem to save, but it's good now.

I was just reading this design blog of the setting, about the focus on every NPC having active goals and motives. This is a really good focus for a good campaign. That's good fiction writing in general.

Hope to see you running around in Faerun someday! ;)

I tend to be a forum rat, so you'll likely see me here first. The sentiment is returned. :)
    edited October 2012
    I did mention that the lore in Cryptic's Neverwinter will be canon, which makes it even more impressive and something to look forward to. I added another small note to my blog post about the campaign setting. For some reason the update to the post this morning didn't seem to save, but it's good now.

I was just reading this design blog of the setting, about the focus on every NPC having active goals and motives. This is a really good focus for a good campaign. That's good fiction writing in general.

I tend to be a forum rat, so you'll likely see me here first. The sentiment is returned. :)

Just logged in and wanted to thank you for your dialog and constructive receptive feedback from us. I won't even begin to mention how many times (and never who of course) I get questions and opinions that are much much more blatantly wrong or the right answer clearly in the same post people are improperly stating something.

Sad to say, but most people seem to come from a mindset of instant responding (if they see it, it must be so,) and look for others supporting their view only rather than discussing the topic (and I mean talking not vitriolic posting done by many of the anonymous forum posters.) So seeing this and learning from each other here warms my heart and I feel we got a "win" from all of this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]