test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spooky Adventure Contest (Discussion Thread)

stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in News & Announcements
Write your own Spooky Dungeons & Dragons adventure and post it in the forums for your chance to win a Neverwinter Dragon Beanie, or Dice Bag!

Please discuss this contest in this thread.

Submissions should be posted to this thread in the Art and Fiction Forum.

Link to the Article
Post edited by stormshade on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Gee, can Mods participate too? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    This is one awesomely fun contest! I cannot wait to read and enjoy the entries. I'm going to refrain from entering though as I already have a CBT key through the T2 promotion.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But they forgot the word Volunteer. Unpaid voluntary no perks volunteer. Wait, wasn't this supposed to cheer me up?!

Seriously, I respect the decision whatever it is. If we are not participants from our position, I will survive. Bummer on my scary story idea though if so, but I guess I can introduce it later in Foundry then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Oh this should be fun b:pleased
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • myrmeenlhalmyrmeenlhal Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is this competition open to international entrants?

Also, not really made clear which rule set we should use... I'm guessing 4th Edition?

(P.S. Someone must have been busy at some point in the past, making sure all the Forgotten Realms names were taken... either that, or there's a lot of people with female Forgotten Realms characters as user names for this forum (and some were quite "obscure"... would the real Symgharyl please stand up?). b:laugh Guess it's my own fault for waiting so long to make an account here...)

ETA: Oh, it specifically excludes international entrants if the prizes are over $50, and the listed total in the prizes clause is $0, so I guess that answers my first question... Reading is magic! >.<
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would like to know if there is an expected format, should we do it in the style of the basic D&D module and can we add links to graphic maps?
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It appears to be restricted to the US so I'm out
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    It appears to be restricted to the US so I'm out

I *think* your good, unless your Country's laws prohibit it:
    O. If the total cash value of the Prizes is zero dollars, then the following eligibility rules apply: Contest is open to anyone who agrees to the terms of this Agreement, excluding every national, state, local, or other jurisdiction in which it is prohibited or restricted by any law, statute, regulation, or other appropriate authority (hereafter "Participant"). Sponsor, Sponsor Partner, and their affiliates, subsidiaries, partners, prize providers, officers, employees, and subcontractors do not warrant that this Contest may be entered legally in any particular jurisdiction.

If I were you, I'd submit a Ticket and ask if your residence is restricted or not.
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is where it states it I believe (as I think almost all prizes can be determined to have a monetary value):

"If the total cash value of the Prizes is greater than zero-dollars, then the following eligibility rules apply: Contest is open to any current legal resident of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who is eighteen (18) years of age or older (hereafter "Participant")"
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Eligible or not, I must enter a story for the sake of story.

Brainz! Brainz!
    edited October 2012
    I lost some of my zombie friends recently.

They broke into a congressional session for "brainz" and starved to death!
    *Rimshot!*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would like to know if there is an expected format, should we do it in the style of the basic D&D module and can we add links to graphic maps?

From the article it looks like it needs to be a complete adventure:

"Write your own spooky Dungeons & Dragons adventure, including encounters, map descriptions, and of course, a scary story, set in The Forgotten Realms, in or around the City of Neverwinter."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm so glad that the contest rules don't restrict use of any foreign languages! I'm going to post my submission in Swahili in a minute! b:pleasedb:chuckleb:laugh
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have an idea.

First player has to kill big monster but the monster is op and kills player.

Then instead of resurect, player has to play as a spirit and find the body again.

What you guys think?b:pleased
    edited October 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    I have an idea.

First player has to kill big monster but the monster is op and kills player.

Then instead of resurect, player has to play as a spirit and find the body again.

What you guys think?b:pleased

If that could be done in the Foundry I would SO play it! Reminds me of a Living City adventure we did many a year ago!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    BEST CONTEST IDEA EVAR! b:pleased

However, I have a question! Can I link to something like a PDF/website/image when I make a submission or should all the content fit into the forum post itself? I don't believe I can display images on threads so it would be helpful if I could at least provide an off-site URL for maps and such.
    edited October 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    BEST CONTEST IDEA EVAR! b:pleased

However, I have a question! Can I link to something like a PDF/website/image when I make a submission or should all the content fit into the forum post itself? I don't believe I can display images on threads so it would be helpful if I could at least provide an off-site URL for maps and such.

Yeah, if it works here and isn't an outright illegal or offensive thing can't see why not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow what a coincidence. I am actually DMing something that would qualify in PnP on the 27th!

I can't post too much detail because I don't want my players to see it. It's a Domain Of Dread with a particualr theme and a tricky-to-resolve storyline and part of our ongoing campaign. There's been no real shoe-horning to get them here. It just happens to line up nicely with Halloween. By sheer chance.
  • yugureusagiyugureusagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Has anyone gotten a reply on if it need be in 4th edition or not? I personally don't like 4th, and would like to give this a shot if I can write it in 3rd.
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Has anyone gotten a reply on if it need be in 4th edition or not? I personally don't like 4th, and would like to give this a shot if I can write it in 3rd.

dont think it has to be any specific rule system, just a mission, any DM/GM can modify it for their group. come to think of it, all DM would mod it to suit the specific group they have =)
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, specifics what's needed for said encounters and map descriptions. We need to know if they area asking for 4E technical stat block and placement things or just a general description that can be any "edition" or even "D&D themed" only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just write it in Neverwinter style. In the Foundry you'll be specifying the difficulty level of the encounter, the number of opponents, and the physical description of the encounter. You should say if it is an easy, average or hard encounter but let them fill in the monster's stats. If your monsters would do anything special or have a specific tactic, make sure that you mention that.

Don't bother with stat blocks.
  • uniqueviluniquevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited October 2012
    darn i like to join but its only for the states suckz manb:cry
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love doing the Literary challenges over on the STO forums, so i'm debating on giving this a shot. Does anyone know what the word count is on the pages so i can keep from going over?
    edited October 2012
    I love doing the Literary challenges over on the STO forums, so i'm debating on giving this a shot. Does anyone know what the word count is on the pages so i can keep from going over?

It might have changed but it could be 10,000 characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Anyone know if we can link our submission to a google doc or does it have to be in a post?
    edited October 2012
    Anyone know if we can link our submission to a google doc or does it have to be in a post?

In that listed forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hmm Looks like I will have to spend at least a day just editing my post to look presentable. Well anyways thank you for the quick response thats what I thought the answer would be so I don't have to re-adjust the production schedule too much.
    edited October 2012
    I wonder if I can make it in time. Too many simultaneous projects. Can the devs confirm if Europe is or is not included in this contest?

That will help prioritize my stuff. Thank you.
    edited October 2012
    I submitted the entry. I am living in europe so I may not be eligible. But as I have been raising my voice (nice way to say bawling out) on the forums about contests the most, I had to participate afterall ;)

The start was nice but then I quickened and skipped many details in order to complete it. So it may not be the best but it turned out ok for a spooky theme. I daresay - that one is kind of spooky initially (though later it wears off a bit).
This discussion has been closed.