test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to D&D

kirametsukirametsu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello! I just made an account and thought I'd say hello and ask a few questions or more like one really. Anyway Ive never really gotten into D&D before,but I really love role playing all the cool and mystical races that D&D has to offer because I believe it's cause to many races that are inspired in fantasy games today obviously. So my main question is that could someone like me get into playing Neverwinter as a newcomer and enjoy it? Would I not be slandered or looked down upon by never playing the previous games? Or reading the novels etc?

Thanks for your time. b:thanks
Post edited by kirametsu on

Comments

• aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the site kirametsu! You shouldn't have much trouble, D&D folk are usually very welcoming. However, the internet being what it is, you'll always have your a-hats that might choose to make your day difficult.

I think the best thing you can do is head on over to the Directory of the Founders Guilds of Neverwinter in the Guild Recruitment section and start talking to a few guild leaders. Running with like-minded players would be a great way to be introduced to the fun & adventure that is Dungeons & Dragons in my opinion.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the game when it finally arrives on our monitors!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Another important thing to note is the game is based on D&D rather than a direct translation.
    You'll be in the same boat as the rest of us upon the game's release learning the new ins and outs of the system.

While this is, in some technicality, NWN3 it's only going to be NWN3 in the same way Batman Begins was Batman 5. Neverwinter will have little to do with it's predecessors and Cryptic is stressing for us to view it as a stand alone game. There's no direct storyline continuation and you will miss absolutely nothing by never playing NWN 1 or 2.

I first started playing D&D when I was 11 years old. Any knowledge I have acquired is due to *years* of experience with the Forgotten Realm's setting and even my knowledge pales in comparison to some of our other locals.

In other words while knowledge of the setting helps you should be able to pick it up as you play. You shouldn't encounter too much lore which will be completely over your head. Just as in the real world the only way to know everything is to understand you know nothing about the vast lore of the Forgotten Realms.

You should be fine. D&D can be a bit overbearing when you first start playing but with a little time it becomes a part of you.
    If you care to read anything you might want to pick up The Dark Elf Trilogy (Homeland, Exile, Sojourn) by R.A. Salvatore. They are far from a requirement and in all honesty were written at a time where many rules don't translate but it will give you a fair amount of lore and a glimse into what the Forgotten Realms has to offer.

Pen and Paper D&D was some of the best times I ever had in my life but that book series is what hooked me into D&D. It's worth a read if you don't mind reading.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    *Rubs hands evilly* Yes, prepare the D&D virgin for our illustrious dark master and we shall rule...wait, which location am I in again?

I mean...hi and welcome to Neverwinter online! There's nothing wrong with being completely new to D&D, and we;ll be glad to treat you like you're important even if you're not a veteren. ESPECIA...I mean especially if yo're new *holds back evil laughter to the Devils worshiped.*

Seriously, this game is an inspiration to D&D (specifically the Fourth edition,) and not a literal computer translation to it. If you've ever played any of the action strategy games (Rusty Hearts, Devil May Cry, etc.) it seems it will be similar to that.

Ad as luck would have it, I happened to make a compilation of things every new user seemed to ask that we've verified, and placed my New Users FAQ in the Discussion section. My thanks to PWE/Cryptic for Stickying it.

It has three sections: General release/Beta info, General Game-play info and Reference/Forum info. If you have any basic game release concepts and BETA questions, read that first section or post. If you're interested in how the Game and D&D mechanics basically now work, the second section of post is where you can start. The third section tells you about references and wikis and how to use this forum (as best as it works :p)

It has gotten big, but it's informative, so take your time. Of course, if you have any questions, just ask away or feel free to PM me (the third section explains how if you get stuck) if you have further questions on this or anything else.

Again, welcome to Neverwinter! We hope you enjoy your stay! MUHUHA..I mean, have a nice day! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Well met and welcome to Neverwinter!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    But I second Truth's comment about treating people well regardless of their experience.
    D&D games have always had better player cooperation than most other games I have ever played and I hope to see the same from this game.

The thing about D&D is, well first of all we're all older. In fact I believe I may be one of the younger frequent posters and in many games I'm one of the oldest.
    Secondly it makes more sense to help a new person so they can be a useful and helpful contributor to the game than to merely shun them like you might find in other games.

So let's start it off with, are there any questions about D&D you might want to know besides what you've already asked?

BTW Nice Save Zeb. ;-)
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Welcome and too put my 2 cents in the developers have stressed in several videos they will have a fair amount of lore in game for those interested in discovering it.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    BTW Nice Save Zeb. ;-)
    Heh. After I hit submit, I started to get confused for a couple seconds when I seen Truth was spilling the secret of what we do with newcomers to the forum.... er, I mean joking about a sacrifice to the ancient ones.

So yeah, multiple thread tabs backfired whilst formulating a reply to the other.

As Bitter stated, I also believe from what I have seen and heard that there will be a good amount of in-game lore for people to delve into who are unfamiliar with the game outside the PC productions or even at all.
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If I may also jump in on the book reading band wagon.

Autho R A Salvatore was asked by Wizards of the Coast to set up most of the background in his novels:

Gauntlgrym
    Neverwinter
    Charon's Claw

since we are a month / a few months away from Closed Beta, Open Beta and Game Launch, you have time to read up on the background stories regarding the city and the world that you will be adventuring.

I've read all of them and they are among my favorites but then I have a shelf devoted to R. A. Salvatore so I may be slightly biased.

Welcome to Neverwinter!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If I may also jump in on the book reading band wagon.

Autho R A Salvatore was asked by Wizards of the Coast to set up most of the background in his novels:

Gauntlgrym
    Neverwinter
    Charon's Claw

since we are a month / a few months away from Closed Beta, Open Beta and Game Launch, you have time to read up on the background stories regarding the city and the world that you will be adventuring.

I've read all of them and they are among my favorites but then I have a shelf devoted to R. A. Salvatore so I may be slightly biased.

Welcome to Neverwinter!

And the last book is scheduled to be released on March 5 2013...wonder if it wil coincide with the launch:)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And the last book is scheduled to be released on March 5 2013...wonder if it wil coincide with the launch:)

What another coinkyDINK!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    According to this video the book has more to do with the 38 Studio's collapse.
    He's saying that since 38 Studio's Collapsed and he basically lost 4 years of work (more so than the money aspect) he's diving into the Legacy of Drizzt Novels in order to keep his mind off it.

Can't be sure but I think that it makes more sense to be just a coincidence. But I'm sure they'll be using that as an easy advertisement whether the game is released before at around the same time as the game.

Now we have to get the lawyers sent after Mr. Salvatore for shamefully calling the game Neverwinter Nights 3 hahaha.

edit- I believe the topic comes up in the first quarter, definitely in the first half of the video.
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, he did mention not being that busy since the collapse of that game.

Did get to see him when he came to SoCal back in August. Got my entire shelf of books signed including my 1st Edition Crystal Shard. b:pleased

He is a really cool guy and really shows his appreciation for his fans.

Can't wait for him to come back in March 2013.

He and Elaine Cunningham are my two favorite Realms authors.

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    edited October 2012
    According to this video the book has more to do with the 38 Studio's collapse.
    He's saying that since 38 Studio's Collapsed and he basically lost 4 years of work (more so than the money aspect) he's diving into the Legacy of Drizzt Novels in order to keep his mind off it.

Can't be sure but I think that it makes more sense to be just a coincidence. But I'm sure they'll be using that as an easy advertisement whether the game is released before at around the same time as the game.

Now we have to get the lawyers sent after Mr. Salvatore for shamefully calling the game Neverwinter Nights 3 hahaha.

edit- I believe the topic comes up in the first quarter, definitely in the first half of the video.

The Godfather I knew but the 5 RL Older sisters...now it all makes sense....the drow's reasons being conniving backstabbing merciless...nice compared to RL family 3:<---Cutie Lloth.

And I'm sorry PWE/Cryptic, but you have to change the Name to Neverwinter Nights 3. Mr Salvatore said so :D I don't see any way...is that a Wand of Wond...

WUBBA WUBBA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    The Godfather I knew but the 5 RL Older sisters...now it all makes sense....the drow's reasons being conniving backstabbing merciless...nice compared to RL family 3:<---Cutie Lloth.

And I'm sorry PWE/Cryptic, but you have to change the Name to Neverwinter Nights 3. Mr Salvatore said so :D I don't see any way...is that a Wand of Wond...

WUBBA WUBBA!

wubba wubba is AWESOME! b:laugh
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited October 2012
    "And that's why I love gaming"

Whenever I get into a discussion about D&D, why I love it and what you can expect from D&D I show that video.

People tend to get too stuck on "what does it look like?" Even if I scream "IT'S NOT ONE GAME! IT'S A RULE SYSTEM" I still have to basically bash my head against a wall trying to vent frustration because they can't grasp that it's not a single video game or a monopoly style board game.
    "What do you mean you have to use your imagination?" "So D&D is also a video game what's the website?"

Wubba Wubba has been my go to video explanation for a few years now. That's what pen and paper D&D is all about. That's why playing PnP D&D is remembered as some of the best times of my life.
    And all any D&D Based Video Game does is try to capture the essence of Wubba Wubba in a different medium.
    edited October 2012
    "And that's why I love gaming"

"What do you mean you have to use your imagination?" "So D&D is also a video game what's the website?"

My favorite reply when talking PnP DnD to my non-gamer spouse and/or friends... b:surrender

"So it's like a video game, but like in your head... huh...?" b:nosebleed "I don't get it..."
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • kirametsukirametsu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks really great to see that people are so welcoming and supportive. b:pleased
  • zoooperzoooper Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2012
    "So it's like a video game, but like in your head... huh...?" b:nosebleed "I don't get it..."

And after you play it for some time they are going to get you, take you to some remote and quiet place, give you some injections and try to get some electricity into your head ... b:cry
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012

WUBBA WUBBA!

Yeah he's been telling Wubba Wubba for a pretty long time awesome story that never gets old though.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kirametsu wrote: »
    Hello! I just made an account and thought I'd say hello and ask a few questions or more like one really. Anyway Ive never really gotten into D&D before,but I really love role playing all the cool and mystical races that D&D has to offer because I believe it's cause to many races that are inspired in fantasy games today obviously. So my main question is that could someone like me get into playing Neverwinter as a newcomer and enjoy it? Would I not be slandered or looked down upon by never playing the previous games? Or reading the novels etc?

Thanks for your time. b:thanks

Just my hunch, but I think the game will be rather loosely based on D&D. Lots of things will be lost in translation from turn-based pen-and-paper game to an action MMO. So having experienced with PnP will likely not be a big advantage. Hey, "the other" D&D MMO is based (much closer) on 3.5e, which I know inside-out, and it plays completely different. So I wouldn't worry about that.

That's unless you're curious about the lore, which I'm sure you'll be able to pick up along the way, by reading the forums etc. Of course, I can't not recommend the D&D PC game classics (including the two Neverwinter Nights games), but it's really up to you whether that sort of thing floats your goat.