test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recent spamming

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Because of recent spamming on forums, to protect the integrity of the forums, I would request that cryptic turns off external links if possible. That would be taking away the reason spammers spam and also to protect the users from unwanted viruses and trojans.

This will also protect the integrity of the website itself lest it comes up as unsafe website in anti-virus company's databases.

I understand many users won't like it here, especially me myself (as I link to youtube a lot) but I would say it is somewhat of necessary evil.
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Because of recent spamming on forums, to protect the integrity of the forums, I would request that cryptic turns off external links if possible. That would be taking away the reason spammers spam and also to protect the users from unwanted viruses and trojans.

This will also protect the integrity of the website itself lest it comes up as unsafe website in anti-virus company's databases.

I understand many users won't like it here, especially me myself (as I link to youtube a lot) but I would say it is somewhat of necessary evil.

That's not a bad idea actually although it would suck for those who make relative links about interviews and news...but it does beat some unsuspecting person getting a nasty worm trojan or virus.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Werent there polls for forum moderators ? What happend ? Where are my forum mods ?!

Seriously we needs mods to remove those spammers it annoys me to see sutch spam to remain in the forum for quite some time,it takes some one from the cryptic team to remove the spam.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    plamgar wrote: »
    Werent there polls for forum moderators ? What happend ? Where are my forum mods ?!

Seriously we needs mods to remove those spammers it annoys me to see sutch spam to remain in the forum for quite some time,it takes some one from the cryptic team to remove the spam.

I figure we will get movement on that one way or the other Monday, but yeah it's sorely needed.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I understand that there is a Community Manager is it that they wear more then one hat at Cryptic that we need the moderators? I haven't seen much communication from them (mind you I'm not particulary fond of the search capabilities in the forums so I may be missing posts)? I'm aslo suprised that the forums don't have the typical "biohazard" flag for posts.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

Actually, as long as there is a delay of say, 50 posts before hyperlinks works, think that would help immensely.

Then, genuine forumites who are here for the game will be able to use hyperlinks.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • jojinraiunjojinraiun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If you click on the user making the posts, you can report them from there. Perhaps if enough report this user they will take action.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    jojinraiun wrote: »
    If you click on the user making the posts, you can report them from there. Perhaps if enough report this user they will take action.

Sound advice but unfortunately the spam accounts are throw away accounts meant only to try to mislead people into acquiring viruses and malware. They are being removed from the forums but because we don't have volunteer moderators the clean up time varies.

Cryptic/PWE aren't ignoring the malicious posts and do take them down when one of the Cryptic/PWE Employees notice the issue but until that time they can exist for a few hours or more. Once our volunteer mods get to use their powers the problem should be diminished a bit but until then we're at the mercy of the CM Work Schedule.
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I'm aslo suprised that the forums don't have the typical "biohazard" flag for posts.

The report post feature is slated to be fixed and brought back to us, I was assured this on two separate occasions, one by general PWE Support and again by STO Support.

It is annoying to see the spam adverts, I will not condone removing user features just because they are abused however. Such is not progress but a backwards step. This would cause more annoyances than the occasional spam bots do.

The best solutions are just to fill the Moderator positions as soon and professionally as possible and to bring back the report post feature.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I 100% agree with Zeb's assessment of the situation.

I think removing features from the general player base shoulod be a last resort if ever even considered.
    While the spam posts are annoying and absolutely malicious until we have a couple of moderators removing them altogether it's best to ignore them. And this includes not posting on them and letting them wane from the most recent threads.

The volunteer mods should solve a lot of the issues with the spam posts once they are given powers. Let's hold off on calling for drastic steps for now.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Removing features for all because of a few is a bad idea unless it's a last resort. We will have mods soon who can delete posts like this. Unless we're talking months later, I think we can wait until then and should click the support link at the top to report spammers until then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]